state of Ireland

what would you have to do to make ireland a state or states in the US and how much would it change history?

what would you have to do to make ireland a state or states in the US and how much would it change history?

Well, Harry Harrison could decide to write an even more insane Ameriwank scenario......:D

Realistically, however, I can't think of a plausible POD short of a super-USA conquering the British Isles.

Well, Harry Harrison could decide to write an even more insane Ameriwank scenario......:D

Realistically, however, I can't think of a plausible POD short of a super-USA conquering the British Isles.

i didnt really think of pluasiblity more jsut some random idea thats been bouncing around my head for a while

Hapsburg

Banned
Massive Irish popular revolution, inspired by the French Revolution and the American Revolution, which creates an independent Ireland; and subsequently, enamored by the American ideals of liberty and freedom, make a treaty with the US that makes them a state. Like an overseas texas.

'Course, it's implausible as hell, but at least it's coherent.

Not really.
'Yey we've overthrown our evil protestant oppressor and gained our freedom!!!
Lets join another even more protestant, evil oppressor!'

Not really.
'Yey we've overthrown our evil protestant oppressor and gained our freedom!!!
Lets join another even more protestant, evil oppressor!'

I doubt that USA would become an oppressor. Anyhow it´s still impossible. Doubt Britain would allowe US troops so close to Britain in the 19th century.

67th Tigers

Banned
I doubt that USA would become an oppressor. Anyhow it´s still impossible. Doubt Britain would allowe US troops so close to Britain in the 19th century.

The US was far more anti-Catholic than the UK until fairly recently. Hence my disbelief at "Stars and Stripes" and "1862".

Harry Harrison: Hey! Stop making fun of me! I researched this for like....three minutes based off info I changed on Wikipedia! I guess all of you hate stories where we Americans send up King...err...Queen Victoria and her evil purple....err.....maroon....err.....redcoats with uber metal gunboats and nuclear bombs invented by Sherman! Wait until you see my sequel: The Stars and Stripes Attacks Jupiter!

Last edited:

Keenir

Banned

a bunch of Irishmen flee the East Coast of the early 19th Century US, heading west, founding a nation that they call "Ireland". decades later (or a century later), under a new generation, they agree to join the USA, as a state.

a bunch of Irishmen flee the East Coast of the early 19th Century US, heading west, founding a nation that they call "Ireland". decades later (or a century later), under a new generation, they agree to join the USA, as a state.

Maybe under a longer Kennedy Adminstration?

Ah yes, the Plantations of Ireland were a benevolent move. Oh, and the denying Catholics political rights. Ah yes, the United Kingdom was nothing but benevolent to the Irish...
The Catholics from before the days of the plantation until after the last jacobite rising britain were dangerous people who wanted to destroy the country, thats why they were denied rights. Guy Fawkes hardly wanted freedom of religion, he wanted to destroy Protestant rule, also the UK ended slavery how long before the USA?
This is swings and roundabouts though, every state has done bad things, but to suggest Ireland joining the US is unrealistic, in my opinion, I just can't see a way of it happening.

Last edited:
Ah yes, the Plantations of Ireland were a benevolent move. Oh, and the denying Catholics political rights. Ah yes, the United Kingdom was nothing but benevolent to the Irish...

Of course, all the evil British working classes had the vote and plenty of money whilst all this was going on in Ireland. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, the Irish were just our version of your Native Americans. They, too, were often viewed as potential subversives, occupying land that the govt. wanted.

Have you never seen Dances With Leprechauns, with Kevin O'Costner?

:p