CH: Stalin's a Good Guy

Okay, there are plenty of threads on making Hitler a good person, i.e. turns into an Artist or what have you.

Now, I demand one for Stalin. Your challenge is to make Stalin remembered by history as a humanitarian, or at least as someone who isn't a mass murderer. Keep in mind, part of this challenge is that history REMEMBERS him. So, no just turning into someone that affects nothing politically speaking.

Have Stalin become a central figure in Georgian nationalism as a seminary student, remembered for being......excessive....but also a grand figure in the history of Georgia. Kind of a Tsarist equivalent to Queen Tamar in unifying the Georgian state and revivifying Georgian nationalism.

How? Also... can't really see that considering the time period, but okay, I guess there's one, although how would get his way to power? Backstabbing used for good purposes now?

The assassin of the villainous Russian dictator Kornilov, gunned down by soldiers just after administering fatal justice to the tyrant in November 1925. History remembers him as firing the shot that begun that Great Russian War of Liberation.

The assassin of the villainous Russian dictator Kornilov, gunned down by soldiers just after administering fatal justice to the tyrant in November 1925. History remembers him as firing the shot that begun that Great Russian War of Liberation.

Interesting, and could work considering his background.

Wolfpaw

Banned
Have Soso really wow some Tsarist patron with his singing voice that launches him on a tour of Europe that seems him become a famous virtuoso. He would probably do really well as an opera star, though that nightmarish last name has got to go.

As for Hitler, I always thought he'd have made a good actor.

Have Soso really wow some Tsarist patron with his singing voice that launches him on a tour of Europe that seems him become a famous virtuoso. He would probably do really well as an opera star, though that nightmarish last name has got to go.

As for Hitler, I always thought he'd have made a good actor.

Okay, could he actually sing that well? If so... that would be interesting to see in a timeline at least.

Stalin was very good poet apparently, so Stalin could become a famous Poet (sort of like Hitler the painter) or maybe in a White victory , he could become a sort of resistance leader against a totilarian state , an early Che Guevrara

He was offered a scholarship for his singing, in fact. Family troubles got in the way, however.

Huh. That could be... interesting.

Stalin was very good poet apparently, so Stalin could become a famous Poet (sort of like Hitler the painter) or maybe in a White victory , he could become a sort of resistance leader against a totilarian state , an early Che Guevrara

Former... well, he didn't exactly have great poetry, and even if he did, Edgar Allan Poe Syndrome(what I like to call your life goes to shit because your art won't make money) so not quite viable. The latter though? SOMEONE WRITE THAT NOW!:)

I think you have to appreciate that Stalin was a good guy. Within the Soviet Leadership in the early 1930s, Stalin followed the line demanded by the urban working class on a consistent basis. He eliminated pro-capitalist liners from the party, while restraining the ultraleft.

As we saw with Kirov's horrific reign, where agricultural labour was turned into factory fodder through a system of massive extractions, famines and displacements; where the Party turned on itself under Kirov's instructions in a series of purges that produced a shame in the entire world; and where the Party intervened into the war against European fascism with little military skill and therefore causing a preventable loss of life—Stalin would have necessarily been better than Kirov.

Claiming Stalin wasn't a good guy falsely attempts to refute the evidence of his entire conduct as leader up until Kirov had him assassinated.

yours,
Sam R.

Huh. That could be... interesting.

Former... well, he didn't exactly have great poetry, and even if he did, Edgar Allan Poe Syndrome(what I like to call your life goes to shit because your art won't make money) so not quite viable. The latter though? SOMEONE WRITE THAT NOW!:)

Well he does seem to have some people who like his poetry this taken off Stalins Poetry wikipedia page. Im quite surprsed his poetry was in goergians schools under Anonymous, which is no mean feet

Stalin's biographer, Simon Sebag Montefiore, notes that the poems in Iveria:
"were widely read and much admired. They became minor Georgian classics, to be published in anthologies and memorised by schoolchildren until the 1970s (and not as part of Stalin's cult; they were usually published as "Anonymous")." Montefiore also writes that "Stalin was no Georgian Pushkin. The poems' romantic imagery is derivative, but their beauty lies in the rhythm and language."[1] Robert Service, another Stalin biographer, describes the poems as "fairly standard for early 19th century romantic poetry", and as "very conventional, ... very standardized and rather self-indulgent".[2]

Well... perhaps. Still though, I doubt he would've ever become anything especially remarkable through the poetry route, especially considering who he's competing with for literary attention.

However, perhaps if he could improve his poetry by getting better subject matter, perhaps.

This. He would make an awesome T-shirt cover too, that moustache is just incredible.

Maybe he recognizes he has a paranoia problem early on and resists it when the "they're plotting against me" thing kicks in, so the purges aren't as bad if they happen at all?

(Psychology/psychiatry wasn't as advanced back then, but maybe he could realize that he's worrying unnecessarily? Before certain things were recognized as diseases, people had coping mechanisms to deal with them, although Stalin-level paranoia is probably a bit more severe than, say, undiagnosed ADD.)

Trying to rein in his paranoia might lead to different policies during the lead-up to Barbarossa that could lead to less damage from the Nazis (i.e. no assuming reports of an impending Nazi assault are conspiracies) or the whole abandoning mechanized warfare thing.

On another note, maybe less exactions of grain for export than OTL? This means less capital for industrialization schemes, but it will mean more people and less hatred for the regime. I am having major problems believing OTL Stalinism was the best possible solution.

I think you have to appreciate that Stalin was a good guy. Within the Soviet Leadership in the early 1930s, Stalin followed the line demanded by the urban working class on a consistent basis. He eliminated pro-capitalist liners from the party, while restraining the ultraleft.

As we saw with Kirov's horrific reign, where agricultural labour was turned into factory fodder through a system of massive extractions, famines and displacements; where the Party turned on itself under Kirov's instructions in a series of purges that produced a shame in the entire world; and where the Party intervened into the war against European fascism with little military skill and therefore causing a preventable loss of life—Stalin would have necessarily been better than Kirov.

Claiming Stalin wasn't a good guy falsely attempts to refute the evidence of his entire conduct as leader up until Kirov had him assassinated.

yours,
Sam R.

I see what you did there.

Hmm, actually, perhaps if he had someone to keep his paranoia in check that was his equal somehow. Perhaps that quote he had after the death of his first wife is a hint at this?

Additionally, what would work quite well is if he isn't in a system that encourages paranoia, which he was in OTL. So, if you make Lenin a better person, or at least better at designing political systems, you'll make Stalin a better person. How you do that? Well... that's up to you.

He never joins the Bolshevik party, instead becomes a Georgian Menshevik, he later takes part in the DRG government and holds a heroic last stand against the Red Army in Poti.

Later the in post-soviet independent Georgia he is seen as a great martyr.

To add to the "Stalin: Opera Singer" idea, he could move to America to ride on the coattails of the musical boom after the invention of sound in movies. I like this one just for the irony.