Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is 55" really that big for a turret ring?
Matilda II's turret ring was 54" and it was noted for having a very cramped turret for it's 3 man crew.

The AMC35 (a/k/a ACG-1) regrettably was underpowered for its Cavalry role, even with the V6 engine also used in the 2x-weight B1 infantry tank series, and under-designed/developed in regard to suspension and track reliability in the field. But the ACG-2 assault-gun variant...which was rejected by the stuck-in-WWI-thinking Cavalry...with its hull mounted 75mm cannon (I think the same gun as used in B1 infantry tanks), could have been a much more powerful Cavalry weapon if only Edgar Brandt's ordnance company had had better sales contacts, and France's military had recognized the importance of APDS and HEAT ordnance technologies in time to field them for 1940.

which was rejected by the stuck-in-WWI-thinking Cavalry...with its hull mounted 75mm cannon (I think the same gun as used in B1 infantry tanks), could have been a much more powerful Cavalry weapon if only Edgar Brandt's ordnance company had had better sales contacts, and France's military had recognized the importance of APDS and HEAT ordnance technologies in time to field them for 1940.
It was rejected because it was unsatisfactory while the slightly later Somua Sau 40 , which was accepted, wasn't. The Cavalry was hardly conservative, let alone compared to other parts of the French military.

Churchill had a 54" turret ring and went as far as a 57/75mm gun in a 3-man turret. 55" is not small by interwar standards.

Last edited:

Driftless

Donor
As a practical question, how close/how far could the Panhard AM40P/EBR have been from service in 1940, if more consistent resource were devoted to it's development? Or was there just plenty of more ready-to-go stuff ahead of it in the queue?

Something I noticed when reading the French archives at Vincennes: the APX-2 turret on the AMC 35 tank and the APX-3 turret on AMD 178 armored car both share the same turret ring diameter of 1395mm, and are two man. They have slightly different shapes, and the APX-2 was better armored and armed either with the full length 25mm SA34 gun, or the 47mm SA35, while the APX-3 had the shortened 25mm gun.
Judging by the shape of the turrets and the use of the same turret ring diameter, it should have been possible to modify the APX-3 to use the 47mm SA 35, or to put a more thinly armored version of the APX-2 on the AMD-178 for a similar weight. This, 5 years before the French would design a new emergency turret mounting this gun on the AMD.

View attachment 874442View attachment 874443
APX-2 APX-3

Interestingly enough, 1395mm is already a pretty large ring (55"), so it's possible the turrets could have been laid out to mount a bigger gun or a 3-man crew, or someone could have made new turrets with these characteristics on the same ring.
It's disappointing that the Somua wasn't built with a bigger turret ring, allowing a 2 man turret and maybe even a 3 man for troop or company commanders. Even a cramped 2 man turret would have been good.
Having said that, the problems in France were more down to strategic faults rather than tactical failings. We might have seen more German tanks damaged and destroyed in Hannut and Gembloux, but the 2 man turret would largely have served to provide the German army with 200 better tanks for use in Barbarossa.

As a practical question, how close/how far could the Panhard AM40P/EBR have been from service in 1940, if more consistent resource were devoted to it's development? Or was there just plenty of more ready-to-go stuff ahead of it in the queue?
EBR was the "next generation thinking" from the Panhard 201...which itself was radical when prototyped, and never got as far as even having a second unit built.

EBR also was the 201 concept made ~130% the size. That's a pretty radical re-imagining by itself.

So 1940, no. Maybe if events hadn't interfered, 1942?

It was rejected because it was unsatisfactory while the slightly later Somua Sau 40 , which was accepted, wasn't. The Cavalry was hardly conservative, let alone compared to other parts of the French military.
The "slightly later" SAu40 was several years later, and at least a year too late to be ready in numbers when needed.

Its design was based on a gun that itself wasn't ready for manufacturing, even in May 1940.

The ACG-1, and from it the ACG-2, at least were initially developed in the right timeframe.

Though yes, the ACG-1 certainly was unsatisfactory when first offered, and the ACG-2 was just a variant with the problems unfixed.

France had a pretty ineffective AFV industry in the 30s.

vpAFVtq.jpg

I only just noticed this tank existed. Once again a case of convergent evolution for most extrapolations of the Renault FT, like D1. It's not half-bad for 1925, it could have been a decent starting basis for increasingly bigger and modern tanks, up to interwar mediums. It even has sponsons so the turret could expand over the tracks, and the engine is mounted transversely.

View attachment 874772
I only just noticed this tank existed. Once again a case of convergent evolution for most extrapolations of the Renault FT, like D1. It's not half-bad for 1925, it could have been a decent starting basis for increasingly bigger and modern tanks, up to interwar mediums. It even has sponsons so the turret could expand over the tracks, and the engine is mounted transversely.
thats funny, sometime in the past i drove a FIAT Tipo car - never knew it was also a tank

Last edited:
Question: did the US planned to lend-lease the M6 Heavy Tank. I think (but might misread somewhere) that the British wanted a few off them.

Question: did the US planned to lend-lease the M6 Heavy Tank. I think (but might misread somewhere) that the British wanted a few off them.
If I remember correctly, interest in the tank dropped quite rapidly even before testing was completeld. Afaik, the final-but-never-completed prodution order was for less than 150, with half going for the UK. In the end, only a few dozen were built, and none left the US. But I believe it's suspension was used in a british heavy prototype.

The Italians possibly missed an opportunity in not picking up on the infantry-support value of the 75mm assault-gun version of the French FT, and arming their 3000 Type II with a (possibly shortened?) version of their 65mm infantry gun, or another gun of similar caliber that could be made to fit in the turret.

Had they done so, they then could have evolved that tank-direction toward a better capability to fight other tanks, as armor improved past its bullets-only early design approach and ordnance designers began to think about armor piercing beyond what cast iron slugs could achieve.

Fortification version of the French 75mm gun used in the FT 75mm version:
800px-Musee-de-lArmee-IMG_1000_blockhouse_schneider_75mm_1_tyQMP2m5y7sujJYwAB1wzx.jpg

800px-BS_3_FT-17_75mm_BS.jpg

82 mm fully automatic mortar (side loaded with 4 round stripper clips).

What if the Soviets put this gun in a AFV turret?
They put the much larger 120 mm mortar in a turret on the BTR-D to create the 2S9 Nona, which already weighed less than 10 tons. The application for an 82 mm mortar in an armored vehicle would be in a 5-7 ton wheeled vehicle along the lines of the 2S41, which is a GAZ Tigr with a mortar in an overhead turret, or the South African Eland 60. Maybe the Soviets would be able to put it in a BRDM.

The Italians possibly missed an opportunity in not picking up on the infantry-support value of the 75mm assault-gun version of the French FT, and arming their 3000 Type II with a (possibly shortened?) version of their 65mm infantry gun, or another gun of similar caliber that could be made to fit in the turret.

Had they done so, they then could have evolved that tank-direction toward a better capability to fight other tanks, as armor improved past its bullets-only early design approach and ordnance designers began to think about armor piercing beyond what cast iron slugs could achieve.

Fortification version of the French 75mm gun used in the FT 75mm version:
800px-Musee-de-lArmee-IMG_1000_blockhouse_schneider_75mm_1_tyQMP2m5y7sujJYwAB1wzx.jpg

800px-BS_3_FT-17_75mm_BS.jpg
They did that a few years later in a 9t casemated tank with a 65mm short gun, so yeah it should have no issues with the turret already being the size of FT BS' casemate.
And for initial AT, the basic FIAT 3000 eventually started testing the long 37mm Vickers-Terni in 1927 so had Tipo II continued it could have got this gun, in a bigger turret than the Tipo I.

Status
Not open for further replies.