Vienna could work because of the Habsburgs' desire to claw back whatever shreds of prestige they can after the Hungarians broke away, but come to think of it, they're probably pretty hacked off at Russia right now after they started taxing Galicia-Lodomeria. If the Austrians did it, they'd be grinding their teeth the whole time, especially if Russia ends up on top.

Vienna could work because of the Habsburgs' desire to claw back whatever shreds of prestige they can after the Hungarians broke away, but come to think of it, they're probably pretty hacked off at Russia right now after they started taxing Galicia-Lodomeria. If the Austrians did it, they'd be grinding their teeth the whole time, especially if Russia ends up on top.
Duh I forgot about that fuster cluck. Hell Im really not sure then.

Agreed about Galicia-Lodomeria, in fact I’d say it takes Vienna fully out of the question. Even if they may not have fought in the war, relations with Russia are still so strained that Russia thought it acceptable to effectively annex one of their de jure territories, an act of war even if it was never acted upon. To me Vienna goes in the same pile as Athens, St.Petersburg or London as absolutely impossible.

Berlin? I think it's been a decade since Prussia has ticked off anyone. But Rome really is seeming like a solid choice. I love how much time has been devoted to speculating on the treaty location vs. the details.

Perhaps it could work, but the Ottomans may still see it as to Christian. Rome may represent a different types of Christianity from Russia’s, but Rome is still the seat of the papacy. The same institution that called the crusades, including against the Ottomans themselves, in part as a defence of Eastern Orthodoxy. Of course, that’s all ancient history by this point, but ... this is the age of Romantic nationalism, and the city does still have enough symbolic value for a victorious “Third Rome” to ‘rub the “Caesar of the Romans” face in’ both the Roman and religious significance of the city.

I feel Paris, Amsterdam, and Berlin - perhaps even Pest/Buda-Pest, if the Hungarians manage to finagle it as a way to get a feather of prestige in their cap - are all reasonable options.

I feel Paris, Amsterdam, and Berlin - perhaps even Pest/Buda-Pest, if the Hungarians manage to finagle it as a way to get a feather of prestige in their cap - are all reasonable options.
I doubt Budapest would be an option after the stunt the Hungarians pulled with stationing troops in the Carpathians to draw off Russian forces from the Balkan theater, but the first three are good options.

Side note: all of these nitpicks about international politics in such a narrow situation really illustrate how difficult it must be to be an actual diplomat. It's not a job I'd envy, to be honest.

I doubt Budapest would be an option after the stunt the Hungarians pulled with stationing troops in the Carpathians to draw off Russian forces from the Balkan theater, but the first three are good options.

Side note: all of these nitpicks about international politics in such a narrow situation really illustrate how difficult it must be to be an actual diplomat. It's not a job I'd envy, to be honest.
Seriously. It’s surprisingly difficult to come up with a truly neutral location.

Austria is ticked at Russia who was their nominal ally if I remember correctly. Russia is probably unhappy that French arms have kept the conflict alive this long. The Hungarians played chicken with Russia at the border. The Ottomans despise the Greeks presently which is sad given they seemed to have a brief period of rapprochement. Nobody would likely trust the Pope in retrospect. The other Italian states are possible but likely to insignificant. Spain is an option I suppose but I feel like Amsterdam provides everything they do but better. Unfortunately the Dutch are kinda pro Anglo so that’s unlikely. Germany is inoffensive to all parties and prestigious enough.

So Berlin or Barcelona? Or if the Russians don’t mind the French selling arms, Paris.

Side note: I just wanna say I love the regulars in this thread. You guys are always great to talk to about whatever subject gets brought up. Wether it be Minutiae like a peace conference location, obvious things like borders, or interesting facts I never would have considered like agricultural outputs. You folk always have an interesting opinions and enlightening facts to share.

What about the US? They were neutral in this conflict and don't really have skin in the game.
Too far away and not prestigious enough. the States are still very young to have that honor.
Berlin is a very nice choice really as many have said as is Milan the capital of the true Italian power. The wild Amsterdam card is interesting though. I also don't think Madrid is really up to task due to Spain being relegated this last century. Of course all of them are in place only if Paris is out of question which is not truly yet . Selling weapons is a nice business practice it could be argued by the French which they stayed neutral of the man fighting.

Too far away and not prestigious enough. the States are still very young to have that honor.
Berlin is a very nice choice really as many have said as is Milan the capital of the true Italian power. The wild Amsterdam card is interesting though. I also don't think Madrid is really up to task due to Spain being relegated this last century. Of course all of them are in place only if Paris is out of question which is not truly yet . Selling weapons is a nice business practice it could be argued by the French which they stayed neutral of the man fighting.
Berlin or Frankfurt? Can't recall where the capital is TTL...

You know I just re read the last few updates and I can’t help but notice that there are going to be a lot, and I really mean a lot, or well armed and battle hardened Poles with nothing to do at the end of the war. I mean, depending on what Earl Marshall is considering a brigade (I know 5,000 seems to be the standard but that number can fluctuate wildly depending on circumstances) and casualties we could be looking at anything between 15-30 thousand Polish veterans between the British Foreign Legion and the Sultans Cossack Brigade. Probably armed with Minnie Rifles and Enfields. Maybe some artillery too.

Will anything come of this? Probably not immediately. But those Foreign legion ties might really come in handy next time an uprising occurs, as will any and all of the weapons the can smuggle in through Hungry.

That said I’m very interested to see what happens with the British foreign legion going forward. It was set up as a temporary measure but there’s no reason they can’t make it permanent. It would provide plenty of extra man power in the future. Other countries could even try to emulate them

@Duke of Orlando this is a very good idea! But I wonder if we could see a Philhellenes League formed by Greece, sometime in the future. I know that there have been military forces of Philhellenes (and also the Redshirt Garibaldines in OTL Greco-Turkish War 1897 and in the Balkan Wars 1912-13), but these were volunteer forces.

The American civil war will start up soon after this war. If the Polish veterans want to stay as a unified fighting force after the alt crimean war, they can volunteer to fight over there, similar to the OTL Irish brigade, except much larger. They can pick up American poles, new ones leaving europe, and expand their arsenal. A few divisions of extremely skilled and well armed polish vets will make a big difference in the next polish revolt.

The American civil war will start up soon after this war. If the Polish veterans want to stay as a unified fighting force after the alt crimean war, they can volunteer to fight over there, similar to the OTL Irish brigade, except much larger. They can pick up American poles, new ones leaving europe, and expand their arsenal. A few divisions of extremely skilled and well armed polish vets will make a big difference in the next polish revolt.
I actually think the Americans are gonna fight the Mexican American war first as they haven’t yet but it’s been hinted at. Because it’s likely that or an immediate civil war as the south Is probably feeling boxed in right now

This is my third attempt trying to make this post, hopefully it works now.

First and foremost, I won't have the next update out today. I apologize, but I've been busy with work these past few weeks and I just haven't had the time or energy to do much writing. That said, I will try to have it ready before next Sunday.

Second, I made some changes to the last update, increasing the number of Polish volunteers for the British Foreign Legion up to 12,000 men, and I increased the number of new recruits for the Sultans Cossack Division to 7,400 men (up from 6,000). I also had the Ottomans make a deal with Serbia, allowing them to recall their troops in return for increased autonomy and the Ottomans have begun pulling their troops from Thessaly and Epirus. The Ottomans also received around 11,000 additional volunteers from North Africa and the Levant over the Winter and Spring of 1856. Finally, I made some slight tweaks to a couple other sections, including the Egypt section to help clarify the Ottoman position on that matter.

One thing I can see backfiring long term is devolution for the Irish. I mean, and I apologize for getting a little political here, we are seeing now that it's backfired on Parliament with the Scottish. When you can see that your national parliament is better able to serve your needs and govern than the UK-wide one and the areas it isn't are areas that the UK one refuses to devolve those powers... well devolution is a band-aid. Eventually, without proper reform to give better representation, it is only going to fuel independence more. Also, it is definitely possible that other areas of the UK empire may see Ireland getting their shiny new parliament and start wondering why they can't have that too.
There are definitely positives and negatives to this decision for Britain. In the short term it pacifies the Irish nationalists and gives them some desperately needed manpower, but it does provide some incentive for other groups within the Empire to demand autonomy of their own. Over time this may result in an earlier breakup of the Empire or it could save the British Empire if they can adapt accordingly.

Another question regarding the efficacy of the Irish reforms is whether they will be properly representative of all Ireland (i.e. locate the assembly in Dublin) or continue the trend of privileging the Protestant Ascendancy in Ulster at the expense of the island's Catholic majority. Either way, it's better than nothing to quell separatist agitation for the immediate future, but in order to truly integrate all of Ireland into the UK, the political settlement will need to be sufficiently egalitarian (and probably rankle quite a few Ascendancy feathers in the process).

Great update, by the way! Things are coming to a head in the Eurasian War, and it's only a matter of time before the Allies fold. It looks like the "stab-in-the-back myth" is already developing in Ottoman circles, although perhaps it would be more accurate to describe it as a "dragged-in-front-of-a-freight-train myth" with how they're blaming the UK for getting them into the war to begin with. If their relations are soured permanently by this mess, the Ottomans will become even more diplomatically isolated than before, leaving them with less development and fewer options for conflict resolution. That being said, with the way the war has been chewing up men on both sides, they won't have to face a significant threat from the Russian Bear for a good while yet after peace is made.
The Irish Parliament will probably be located in Dublin, although I can definitely see a case being made for Belfast as well. Overall, this devolution of Irish politics from Westminster to Ireland will provide the average Irishman with more say in their governance, but it is not a perfect solution. The Protestant Irishmen and English land holders are still the most politically powerful members of Irish society and will have a disproportionate influence on how this new Parliament operates.

Thank you very much! To say that the Ottomans are not happy with Britain right now would be an understatement. They essentially got pressured into this war on misleading promises of a Pan-European coalition against Russia, only to be tricked into fighting this boondoggle by themselves essentially. Sure Britain is providing around 80k soldiers, sailors and marines, but most of these are in the Balkans, whilst the Russians are running wild in Eastern Anatolia. They're also falling into debt at a terrible rate, most of which is controlled by Britain giving them an increased say in Ottoman affairs after the war. Finally, there is the deal Britain forced them to make with Greece which is incredibly unpopular with the Ottoman people right now, even if it was necessary from a strategic standpoint. This doesn't include the revolts across the Balkans or the extensive pillaging in Eastern Anatolia. At the very least, Russia will have exhausted themselves after this war so the Ottomans should receive a reprieve on that front for a few years.

Excellent update! We see the English at their "best", sending other people to fight their wars. :rolleyes:
I guess the war will end in1856. Both parties are exhausted . However, the taxation in Galicia-Lodomeria might force the Austrian Empire to declare war to the Russians (or at least stop any trade relations and send some "volunteers" to fight against Russia).
So, if I am not mistaken, Dr. Konstantinos Karatheodori is the OTL grandfather of this prominent mathematician? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantin_Carathéodory
Honestly, this is the best Britain can do right now as they don't have the manpower to compete with Russia on their own. What they do have a lot of is money and guns, so they're making best of what they have.

Technically, the war won't end in 1856, but it will be the end of all major fighting in Europe.

Indeed, when Austria learns of this they will be quite angry with Russia, to the point they might get involved this war. However, the Russians aren't stupid, well at least their diplomats usually aren't, so they won't be blatantly advertising this change in administration far and wide. As far as most of Europe is concerned, Russia is occupying Galicia-Lodomeria on behalf of Vienna, as the Austrians lack the ability to properly police the province after their recent string of conflicts. Still, they are the legal owners of Galicia-Lodomeria and are entitled to its tax revenue and resources, both of which Russia is now taking for themselves. That said, it is only a matter of time before Vienna finds out about this, so except the proverbial shit to hit the fan soon.

You are certainly correct, Constantin Caratheodory is the grandson of Dr. Konstantinos Karatheodori.

The Eaglet in Paris is in a uniquely advantageous position. Britain has spent much treasure and blood already, way more than in OTL. Now every single regiment of the British Army is deployed in the Balkans or India. The majority of the RN has to maintain the blockade of the Baltic and Black Seas. Few times in history, French could catch the British so overstretched. What will the new Emperor do?

We only can judge his cousin's OTL policies. I am of the opinion that personal politics do not play a significant role in imperial politics. A king/president/emperor does not know everything and does not have a strong opinion on everything. A monarch's opinion is also formulated by the way his cycle presents facts to him. Even Louis XIV - an autocrat who worked incredible hard and wanted to be the source of all decision making- depended upon Louvois and Colbert to filter information back to him. These "filters" formulate policy frameworks. So, France has the same interests and the same groups in Paris are fighting for influence to further their goals.

In "Crowns and colonies: European monarchies and overrseas empires" it is metioned that:

Now, the British are paying in blood and gold for challenging the Russian continental predominance. What remains for Napoleon is to increase his influence over Suez and Egypt and take steps in turning the Mediterranean into a french lake. He also needs to focus the french military might in a way to both serve national interests and get a clear triumph (that he didn't get in Belgium) to shore up his political capital. The problem is that most of the good real estate is already taken. Only two strategic locations remain unclaimed: Morocco (and the Gibraltar Strait) and Tunisia (and the Sicilian Strait).

Regarding french influence in eastern Mediterranean, the French have already been working to solidify their position in Lebanon. French diplomats supported the formation of a christian state since the 1840s. The Maronites were always looking west towards France after all.
France and Napoleon II are definitely in a good spot right now with Britain fighting two major conflicts right now. That said, outside of this "difference of opinions" in Egypt and the expansion of the French navy to support their growing colonial empire, France and Britain don't have many issues with one another. Obviously there is the old animosity between them, Napoleon II's ascension as Emperor of France doesn't help here, but he did spend several years in Britain ITTL and he is a rather charming man so it balances out.

Unlike Napoleon III, the Eaglet has the advantage of a more stable regime at home, owing to his more liberal politics and his increased legitimacy. First and foremost, he is the son of Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte, not one of his nephews, a fact which strengthens his support among the Bonapartists. Second, he is the son of Marie Louise, giving him a strong connection to one of the most prestigious and respected royal houses in all of Europe in the von Hapsburgs, which should alleviate some of the concerns of the Conversatives. His choice of wife will also help here too. His successful acquistion of Wallonia in the Second Belgian War of Independence also helps his standing within France, although not to the extent conquering all of Belgium would have. Nevertheless, he ended a rather unpopular and expensive war with a victory, albeit a relatively minor victory.

That being said, I do agree that some adventurism is likely at this time, in fact, France is already actively expanding its overseas holdings in the Pacific and West Africa. In the Mediterranean they are consolidating their grip on Algiers, supporting Isma'il Pasha in Egypt, and if opportunity presents itself, they might go after Tunis and Lebanon as well.
@Earl Marshal One small quibble, in relation to the Poles and the British Foreign Legion. In this timeline, we've seen Poland embroiled in a much nastier Revolution of 1848 and the Russian boot coming down hard on them. I would suggest that the British are going to find themselves awash in Polish volunteers - you're going to have dispossessed nobility looking to make a name for thmeselves, ideologically driven members of the middle class, and even peasants who's livlihood was ruined by the revolution and who haven't recovered yet. And, at the same time, the British are offering them, I would assume, pretty decent pay AND a chance to smack back against the hated Russian Bear. In other words: what's not to love? I'd even go so far as to suggest that theremight be equal numbers of Poles and Germans in this foreign legion. Even in OTL, Poles found places in the armies of other European powers (it gave them a chance to learn the trade, make international connections, forge a name for themselves, and prepare for the day when Poland would yet be free), and it would seem that this trend would be even stronger in the ATL.

On a sidenote, I'm wondering what is going to be happening with Polish Nationalism, with the collaps of 1848. In OTL, it wasn't until 1861 that Romantic Nationalism was firmly laid to rest, and this lead to the rise of the Warsaw Positivists and Organic Works. This process might be accelerated by a generation here - though many of the thinkers which the Positivists looked up to (who, ironically, weren't exactly Positivists in the non-Polish sense) haven't written yet, by and large. I could see something liek Organic Works developing despite this, but it would be interesting to see the intellectual currents that Polish nationalists are latching onto in this timeline.
You are certainly right, I will definitely increase the number of Polish volunteers as soon as I get the chance.

In all honesty, I haven't decided on the exact details for Poland's future just yet. I'm pretty confident that they will get their independence eventually, their strong culture and history almost make that an inevitability in my opinion, but how and when they get their independence is still up for debate right now. Organic Works is definitely a possibility though.

Great update. it looks like Russia will win, which stands in contrast to its defeat in OTL Crimean War. This could mean a stronger Russia going forward that ends up doing better down the line, such as a strong sphere of influence in the Balkans or Persia. Conversely, the Ottomans might undergo a collapse at worst, or experience a more difficulties at best, when it comes to their fortunes later in the 19th century. We might see them fracture and Russia gobbles up the pieces, or all the Great Powers may intervene in such a situation to preserve or project their own interests in such a scenario.

Coming out of this war the Ottomans would have lost tens of thousands of men, become debt-riddled, possibly developed feelings of embitterment towards the British and ultimately left in a worse-off position than OTL (of course an energetic and dynamic Sultan could still reverse this trend to some degree). Greece seems primed to take advantage, both short- and long-term, of Ottoman misfortune. In the interim they nabbed Thessaly, Epirus, the Ionian Islands and the South Dodecanese without bloodshed and benefited from British investment in their ports, other infrastructure etc. that will help their long-term economic development. Long-term, a weaker Ottomans and stronger Greece raises the possibility for further territorial acquisition of possibly greater magnitude, and at an earlier date, perhaps fulfilling the Megali Idea to some extent.
You know I can’t help but think that the only real loser in this war is the Ottomans. Sure Russia and the UK lost plenty of men and, for the UK in particular, treasure. But the UK is likely to recover relatively quickly from their economic slump and the Russians are going to gain a lot of new manpower in the Armenians to make up for what they lost. The ottomans have lost most of their professional army, hundreds of thousands of men, and emptied the treasury. And what do they have to show for all of this? An embarrassing treaty to their mortal enemies, a second tier power, to give up land for not adding to their beating. A loss of territory in the east to Russia and Persia, along with probable losses in the northern Balkans as well. To owe an overwhelming sum to the English that they can never realistically pay back.

This loss is going to leave a burning resentment in the Ottomans. And angry people do stupid things. I can’t help but wonder if they’ll try to repudiate their treaty with Greece in an attempt to save face. That might actually lead to a collapse of the empire assuming the Greeks respond with force and anyone decides to back them. Regardless though I fear for the minorities in the Empire
The Ottomans are definitely the loser here and by a large margin, which wasn't my intention originally. It just sort of happened once I dug a little deeper on the OTL Crimean War. Britain had a lot of issues from a military standpoint, their leaders were old and out of their depth for this war, their logistics network was terrible and their medical system was atrocious. The Ottomans also had a lot of problems too, ranging from a lot of disgruntled Christians to a weak economy and small professional army. the Russians certainly had their faults too, their poor logistics and outdated weaponry didn't help, but their soldiers were incredibly brave and many of their leaders were actually quite talented - unfortunately a lot more of them were not as talented. Without France ITTL, along with a weakened Austria, the deck was stacked against the Ottomans and the British from the beginning.

Overall, the Ottomans will be in a bad spot once this war ends. First and foremost, the majority of the fighting has taken place on their territory ITTL, compared to OTL which was mainly fought in the Crimean Peninsula and Russian Caucasia. This has resulted in untold pillaging and looting of the Eastern Anatolian and Northern Rumelian countryside by the invading Russian Armies. Together with the mobilization of all the Ottoman Empire's 200,000 reservists and the need to support the war effort, not to mention the disruption of trade across the Black Sea has tanked its economy and forced it to take on numerous loans from the British. Finally, it has already lost territory to Greece, a non-belligerent, and it will likely lose territory to the Russians and its proxies in the ensuing peace treaty. Needless to say, they are not going to be very happy with Britain for leading them into this disastrous war, nor are they going to be very happy with the Greeks and the other Balkan Christians for taking advantage of their moment of weakness.

Britain in contrast will be quite fine after the war with Russia. Obviously, it would have liked to reduce Russia as a rival, destroying its Black Seas Fleet and liberate some occupied peoples like the Polish and the Baltic peoples, but losing doesn't really hurt them. No matter how much of the Ottoman Empire Russia occupies, it does very little to directly impact the British, whereas a British Naval blockade wrecks the Russian economy. Moreover, Russia can't reach Britain directly and has little ability to go after Britain's overseas holdings. It could theoretically go after British India via the Qajari Empire or Central Asia, but that's hundreds of miles away across largely inhospitable terrain filled with hostile steppe peoples, so its probably not very likely. The loss of soldiers and coin certainly hurts, but it isn't a huge loss for Britain in the grand scheme of things, although it may decrease the appeal of British adventurism in the future.

Russia on the other hand is the clear winner of this war, not counting Greece or any other non-belligerent. They managed to stand firm against the leading power of their era and the state that has long been the archenemy of the Russian Empire. This will do wonders for their prestige and internal stability, but it will also remove the necessity to make reforms like in the aftermath of the OTL Crimean War. This may be a good thing actually as many of Alexander II's reforms were rushed and poorly implemented, whereas ITTL they may happen more naturally. That said, without these reforms, Russia will be in a rough spot several years down the line as everything around them continues to advance. Without going too deep into spoilers, Russia will be gaining some territory and it will be gaining sole suzerainty over the Danubian Principalities. It also avoids scuttling its entire Black Seas Fleet and it will keep its retain its status as Defender of the Ottoman Christains.

People have talked often about how Greece might seek to take as much territory off the Ottomans as possible in service of the Megali Idea, but at a certain point that comes with significantly more drawbacks than benefits, so I wonder at what point the Greek government might lay off their expansionist tendencies and instead seek to subordinate the Ottomans (or a successor Turkish-majority state) to their will through less direct means. There is certainly a lot of bad blood and desire for grand conquest on both sides, but as the Greek economy continues to grow and modernize while the Ottomans remain trapped in the past, influential business interests may see a certain future level of Greek territorial expansion as final and treat Anatolia as a client-state instead. While still not ideal (and very unlikely for a good while yet), this solution seems more tenable to me than futile attempts to recreate the lost glories of the Byzantines.
You are certainly right, the further the Greeks push against the Ottomans, the more push back they will get. Not just from the Ottomans, but also from the Bulgarians and the Russians as their competing claims will make them adversaries real quick, especially if they come close to Constantinople. Greece does not have the capacity to conquer all of Anatolia and restore the Byzantine Empire, despite my not so subtle interest in doing so. It simply doesn't have the people, nor the will necessary to completely subdue the Turks. If they tried to do it anyway, it would likely end in disaster for all involved as sectarianism and terrorism destroy Greece. Nevertheless, Greece is stronger and wealthier ITTL, which will enable it to push further than it reasonably should.
Really curious to see what the consequences of Russia taxing Galicia-Lodomeria, thereby more or less stating that it's theirs now, will be. With that and the fact that Russia is likely to win the war and become an ascendant power I doubt the rest of Europe will be all that friendly towards them, viewing them as a powerful potential threat.
Russia coming out the other side of the alt-crimean war more powerful and the victor might just backfire on them.
A victorious Russia is definitely a scary premise for many states in Europe, particularly those bordering it, but it is becoming increasingly isolated diplomatically. Its only real allies are Prussia and Austria, and its decision to essentially take over Galicia-Lodomeria, will ruin their relationship with Vienna. Their army, while certainly large, is not as powerful as its numbers would imply due to a poor supply system, weak leaders, and outdated equipment and tactics. Britain may not have succeeded in building a coalition against Russia in this war, but it could definitely succeed in doing so for the next war, if it is so inclined. That said, after trying and failing at coalition building here, a spurned Britain might stay out of the next war entirely and leave the Continentals to face Russia by themselves.

What census are you going to use as data for the Greek population of the ottomans empire, I don't think there is one that is universal agreed upon and that really impacts Greece's potential territory
I'm generally using OTL Ottoman censuses for the Greek population of the Ottoman Empire. While they certainly aren't perfect, they tend to underestimate the Christian populations, which are then generally lumped together, I have managed to work with it to a degree.

Earl Marshal, what was the inspiration the name of the timeline, "Pride Goes Before A Fall"? Does it allude to future events that have yet to pass, to past events that have already occurred, or is it more of a steady theme that is present throughout the entire timeline?
It was a reference to the pride of the Kolokotronoi, specifically Theodore Kolokotronis' notorious pride being his downfall (choosing to stay atop his horse where he was an easy target, rather than seeking safety in the hills or bushes of Dervenakia.

Is there any infrastructure being modernized other than the ports? Also how unofficial are the Greek smugglers? It also looks like both Britain and Russia are doing really poorly. The biggest winners of this war seem to be France and Greece. Thanks for the great chapter Earl!
Generally speaking, the British are upgrading a few Greek ports and their amenities to accommodate British warships and their crews. This includes expanding the docks, wharfs, nearby warehouses and supply depots, drydocks, and other such things. They are also aiding the construction of the Corinth Canal by providing a few engineers to help oversee the whole process. Beyond that though, they're not really do much else. Its important to note that the British are doing all of this for their own benefit, not the Greeks, although the Greeks will definitely benefit from this too in the long term.

So speaking of canals, Cornish or otherwise, are the Brits teaching the Greeks or are they just doing it for them when it comes to the Corinth canal? Because the knowledge is very valuable and can be spread around to other cabal projects that either succeeded or faltered in OTL. The Don-Volga canal immediately comes to mind as something they might be involved in That comes to completion TTL. There’s also the potential they assist in the Nicaragua or Panama Canal as advisers. Lot of mini butterflies from that
The last update implied that the Suez Canal is still under construction, so I doubt that they are simply building it entirely for the Greeks. If they had that much spare manpower and resources, they would be diverted to the Suez, as the situation in India demands that project be completed as soon as humanly possible.

Thus, they are probably trying the most efficient thing they can, an absolute minimum of British foremen and engineers telling Greek labor and assistant engineers what to do. As long as some of the junior engineers there are moderately talented or paying close attention they should be able to pick up all the basics of canal building.

Remember though, while the Corinth canal is through a rocky area with some elevation, it is still a very short distance and great weather, relative to the other canals of the time period. Being good enough for Corinth is enough to get you started in Panama, but not good enough to finish. The skill gap won't be closed by such a short and simple project ,relative to the great canals of the era.

While that may sound pessimistic, plenty of countries tried to build canals they weren't ready for, the french attempts at Panama are the most obvious. So it's more than likely greek engineers will get involved in a project or two that is over their heads, whether they sink or swim depends on them.
The Corinth Canal is a low priority for the British right now, as they are only providing a handful of engineers, foremen and overseers to ensure the construction process goes smoothly and efficiently. The workforce building the canal is predominantly Greek and the money paying for the project is largely coming from Athens, not London. Moreover, the British are only telling the Greeks what they need to know to avoid any more accidents, they are not giving away industry secrets.

I’m not sure that I agree with the idea that the UK will still be the ottomans benefactor after this debacle. They might be but it’s far from certain. From their perspective they provided the material and the money while the ottomans just needed to provide warm bodies to beat men with Muskets, little artillery, and less ammo. And they couldn’t hold up their end of the bargain. What use are they? A check on a French Egypt bit that can be gained in other ways. I don’t expect the Brits to abandon them Necessarily but I wouldn’t expect much more then token support for a couple decades. I expect the British will instead turn to Europe for its anti Russia partnerships. Scandinavia, Hungry, Austria, and (less so) Prussia all have claims or wants of Russian territory. Or they could try to make Poland The Greece of Russia. Theirs a lot of options besides the terminally ill man of Europe.
Britain has a couple of reasons to continue supporting the Ottomans even after this war. The first and most obvious is to be a bulwark against Russia, so they can't get access to the Mediterranean, which would threaten British interests in the area. The second is financial. They've given the Ottomans tens of millions of Pounds Sterling in loans both before this war and during, so they will want to make sure the Ottomans pay them back, with interest. They also have numerous trade concessions with the Ottomans as mentioned in Part 77, concessions which have effectively killed the nascent Ottoman industry, making them dependant upon the British for manufactured goods. Outside of the United States and Germany, the Ottoman Empire is one of Britain's largest trading partners so they will want to ensure that doesn't change.

Now, obviously this war will sour relations between the two countries, but the Ottomans have more of a bone to pick with the British, than the British do with the Ottomans. So if anyone is breaking this arrangement it will be the Turks. That said, you are definitely right in that the British have other options for friends outside of the Ottomans; Greece for instance is a good option as is Prussia, Hungary, or Sweden-Norway.

Regarding late participants in the War:
More than likely, no one will join the war at this point as the outcome is all but decided. However, that won't stop some states from sabre rattling to force a more favorable outcome.

Regarding the location of the Peace Conference:
I was originally considering Athens as the location of the Peace Conference, owing to their strong ties to both Britain and Russ. That was before I decided to give them all of Thessaly and Epirus in their deal with the Ottomans. Now my choice is a different capital city located in Western Europe, a country that has stayed neutral in the war, but it does have ties to the conflict. It also has a long history of hosting peace conferences dating back hundreds of years.

You know I just re read the last few updates and I can’t help but notice that there are going to be a lot, and I really mean a lot, or well armed and battle hardened Poles with nothing to do at the end of the war. I mean, depending on what Earl Marshall is considering a brigade (I know 5,000 seems to be the standard but that number can fluctuate wildly depending on circumstances) and casualties we could be looking at anything between 15-30 thousand Polish veterans between the British Foreign Legion and the Sultans Cossack Brigade. Probably armed with Minnie Rifles and Enfields. Maybe some artillery too.

Will anything come of this? Probably not immediately. But those Foreign legion ties might really come in handy next time an uprising occurs, as will any and all of the weapons the can smuggle in through Hungry.

That said I’m very interested to see what happens with the British foreign legion going forward. It was set up as a temporary measure but there’s no reason they can’t make it permanent. It would provide plenty of extra man power in the future. Other countries could even try to emulate them
@Duke of Orlando this is a very good idea! But I wonder if we could see a Philhellenes League formed by Greece, sometime in the future. I know that there have been military forces of Philhellenes (and also the Redshirt Garibaldines in OTL Greco-Turkish War 1897 and in the Balkan Wars 1912-13), but these were volunteer forces.
Yes, I wonder where all those veteran Poles will go? :evilsmile:

A lot will probably go to Britain after the war and continue their military service (a man has to make a living you know), many will go back to Hungary where a lot of their families are, some will stay in the Ottoman Empire as per OTL, some will go back to Russia to prepare for the next revolution, and some will go elsewhere. The idea of a Polish Legion in Greek service is certainly possible given the fact that a few Poles are already in Greece after the failure of their recent revolution. So it could happen, but I wouldn't expect a lot.

Berlin or Frankfurt? Can't recall where the capital is TTL...
Frankfurt is the capital of the "Federal German Empire" ITTL, however, the real power brokers in Germany are still Austria and Prussia who don't pay much attention to the Frankfurt Government.

I actually think the Americans are gonna fight the Mexican American war first as they haven’t yet but it’s been hinted at. Because it’s likely that or an immediate civil war as the south Is probably feeling boxed in right now
After this current Great Eurasian War arc is ended, I'll do a quick trip around the world to do some updates on some places I've been neglecting, the United States in particular will receive a lot of attention as will Italy, Germany and France. After that its back to Greece for quite some time.

Last edited: