What alternate history ideas you wish they were used more often?

I always like world building timelines like Mahakhitan or the Book of the Holy Mountain, that really explore the culture of an alt country.

The Seven Years War is not explored enough in its fullness

Likewise the First Punic War is ignored (Instead we get Hannibal wank)

Nobody seems to want to do anything with the Kilwa Sultanate

Moving Post 1900 eliminating the Italo-Turkish War is oddly neglected despite its potentially rich butterflies

Ww2 alt histories that aren't just "Germany wins" (i.e, what if Truman doesn't drop the bomb, what if the US and Britain made it to Berlin first, etc.)

Some post-1900 state trying to "revive" a pre-1900 society they consider themselves the heir of without it being Italy again
The idea is interesting specially if they manage to at least partially pull it off, but usually it's just Mussolini and his "Roman Empire"
OTL provided a pretty interesting example as well with Israel so I wish there were more of that

Where to start?

I would like to see more stories about a more divided North America, where multiple geopolitical states arise, as opposed to a handful a larger polities like the US, Canada, or even Mexico. Complete with shifting alliances, intercontinental wars, and multiple forms of government.

Definitely more about the Wars of the Diadochi. There are so many things that can happen at any time that can cause massive changes from OTL.

Also to shamelessly quote my own post in the thread that inspired this one...

This makes me think of the lack of morally-driven TLs, heavily influential stuff like Kant & Nietzsche, very underrated material althist-wise
I think it's worth of note
I mean we already have TLs with alt-Mein Kampfs so it's not that unlikely

Here's a couple that intrigue me, counting the Polish option as one:

Earlier reunification of Poland or Poland not being divided (its 1138-1320 division, not the later partitions) to begin with.

Alternate medieval (and beyond) Indian history - the one this map refers to is fascinating, for example:

- Leon-Galicia not falling under personal union with Castile
- Hungary and/or Bohemia being part of the PLC
- United Arabia after WW1
- Mali becoming more navally inclined, and discovering America

A lot of TLs will behave really weirdly around the Mongols.

OTL the Mongols were a huge deal for global politics and technological development. The ease of access for trade, moving scholars across Eurasia and countless other developments were vital RE medicine, weaponry, architecture etc.

Even smaller details like Columbus; OTL he managed to get investment for his crazy schemes on the promise that he could reestablish trade with the Yuan, and big details like the proliferation of the black plague shaking up social structures across the planet.

Instead, a lot of timelines will act as if the Mongols aren't there, that these same developments happen just the same without them and/or that the paradigm of Europe leading colonialism would happen the exact same way.

It's weird because the Mongols impact on world history is so huge, their absence (or a similar analogue) should be one of the biggest PODs we have.

Alternate societal/technological trends - more often than not, such things tend to be closer to actual history than the historical and military side of any given TL, when a different set of inventors and thinkers could easily result in a world that's "behind" ours in some ways, but almost nearing (hard) science fiction in other ways.

Alternate societal/technological trends - more often than not, such things tend to be closer to actual history than the historical and military side of any given TL, when a different set of inventors and thinkers could easily result in a world that's "behind" ours in some ways, but almost nearing (hard) science fiction in other ways.

I'm playing with this in a novel I'm working on were an alt tl with a PoD in 878 visiting our tl. The reason I wouldn't post it here is I find I run into a lot of " of course the world will naturally turn out this way ALL THE TIME, ALWAYS and you suggesting otherwise offends me on some level so you must be a bad person."