A Big and Happy Spanish Habsburg Family: Charles V and Isabella of Portugal has 13 children

Charles V and Isabella of Portugal Children
A strange situation of the Habsburg brothers, Charles V and Ferdinand I is that while Charles V and his wife Isabella of Portugal had only three surviving children, Ferdinand I and Anna of Bohemia and Hungary had thirteen children, all of whom reached adulthood, which what would happen if Charles V were as lucky as his brother?
800px-Portrait_of_Charles_V%2C_Holy_Roman_Emperor%2C_seated_%281500%E2%80%931558%29%2C_formerly_attributed_to_Titian_%28Alte_Pinakothek%2C_Munich%29.jpg
800px-La_emperatriz_Isabel_de_Portugal%2C_por_Tiziano.jpg

King-Emperor Charles V and I (February 24, 1500-) and Isabella of Portugal (October 24, 1503-)
1.Filipe, Prince of Asturias (May 21, 1527-)
2.Infanta Maria (June 21, 1528 -)
3.Fernando, Duke of Burgundy (November 22, 1529-)
4.Infanta Joana (June 21, 1531)
5.Infanta Isabella (March 4, 1533-)
6.Infante Juan (June 29, 1534)
7.Infanta Catalina (June 26, 1535)
8.Infante Alfonso(December 25, 1536-)
9.Infante Carlos (December 25, 1536-)
10.Infanta Leonor (March 20, 1538)
11.Infanta Beatriz (November 12, 1539-)
12.Infanta Manuela (May 1, 1541-)
13.Infanta Mariana (January 1543-)
What happens now? being blessed with 13 healthy children reaching adulthood and his wife surviving every birth is it possible for Charles V to live a few more years? Now having six sons, could Charles be bothered to divide his empire into a few more pieces?

Last edited:
Yep Juan will make a presence known in italy by actually beign king there and likewise for Alfonso to expand their influence.

Carlos, as thanks for so many blessings, is given to the church.

Marriage alliances Gallore! bind many people to the habsburgs! happy marriage right?

The most possible marriages would be:
Filipe, Prince of Asturias and Maria Manuela of Potugal

Infanta Maria and Maximiliam of Austria

Fernando, Duke of Burgundy and Elisabeth of Austria

Infanta Joana and João Manuel, Prince of Portugal

Infanta Isabella and Emmanuel Philibert, Duke of Savoy

As for the younger brothers?

Am not at home, so can't do a detailed response, but I think it's super likely that at least one of the younger sons ends up with a revived apanage in Spain itself. Perhaps based on the Portugese or French system for younger sons. I mean, Burgundy can be detached pretty easily, but the Two Sicilies were almost never considered for an independent state among Spanish councilors.

Am not at home, so can't do a detailed response, but I think it's super likely that at least one of the younger sons ends up with a revived apanage in Spain itself. Perhaps based on the Portugese or French system for younger sons. I mean, Burgundy can be detached pretty easily, but the Two Sicilies were almost never considered for an independent state among Spanish councilors.
That's fair, but i think Charles would see the praxticality of having a son be given the two sicilies and focus solely on them (juan)

Also, I don't think Charles V having 13 kids is logistically possible. He was often on the move across his vast empire, leaving Isabel as Regent in Spain, with often years between their reunions. Which is why Ferdinand had so much more kids: he and his wife were almost always in the same place. Not to mention Charles and Isabel were much more closely related in comparison to Ferdinand and Anna.

That's fair, but i think Charles would see the praxticality of having a son be given the two sicilies and focus solely on them (juan)

Unlikely. The Italian Kingdoms were very well Integrated with the Spanish monarchy in terms of manpower and tax revenue. Spain would likely be unable to afford the loss.

I quite like the idea of an independent kingdom of the Two Sicilies and Milan, but if that weren't possible I would imagine Charles sending at least one of his sons to serve as governor in Italy

In case the division idea works:
Filipe II of Spain
Ferdinand I of Burgundy
Giovanni I of Naples and II of Sicily
Alfonso I of Milan

I quite like the idea of an independent kingdom of the Two Sicilies and Milan, but if that weren't possible I would imagine Charles sending at least one of his sons to serve as governor in Italy

In case the division idea works:
Filipe II of Spain
Ferdinand I of Burgundy
Giovanni I of Naples and II of Sicily
Alfonso I of Milan
that's awesome man!

The most possible marriages would be:
Filipe, Prince of Asturias and Maria Manuela of Potugal

Infanta Maria and Maximiliam of Austria

Fernando, Duke of Burgundy and Elisabeth of Austria
Ferdinand's older daughter will wind up in Poland (since I'm assuming that Elisabeth is the oldest)
Infanta Joana and João Manuel, Prince of Portugal

Infanta Isabella and Emmanuel Philibert, Duke of Savoy
I suspect that we'd see Karl's daughters taking the place of their OTL cousins as consorts in Italy- for instance, Ferrara and Tuscany (both of whom proposed to Karl V's younger daughter and were turned down)
As for the younger brothers?
Cardinal-Archbishop of Toledo/Primate of Spain for one (the revived Spanish appanage @Emperor Constantine was talking about), or perhaps he succeeds his half-great-uncle as prince-bishop of Liege. Another will likely wind up serving as viceroy of Naples (if not an independent king), another as duke/viceroy of Milan. Probably also one gets shipped to Vienna to take up post of Grand Master of the Teutonic Order.