After the Downfall, by Harry Turtledove

After the Downfall
By Harry Turtledove
ISBN 978-1-59780-130-0
Two stars out of five.
Pros: Interesting color and description.
Cons: Flat characters, simplistic story, limited characterization, poor printing

Despite the name emblazoned on the cover of this novel, it isn't an alternate history. Instead, it's a flat, disappointing fantasy that uses characters and a setting familiar to any student of history. It's not even an original fantasy -- Turtledove wrote World War II into a fantastic setting with his Darkness books. Instead, this feels like a favor; a book written for a comparatively new fantasy/SF publisher.

The story revolves around a German officer who, during the final days of WWII, is transported to a fantasy world after a battle in the Berlin museum. The officer, named Hasso Pemsel, is thrown into a conflict between a race of tall, beautiful blondes and a race of short, swarthy, dark-haired people. Pemsel, having been indoctrinated into all aspects of the Nazi ideal, naturally sides with the blondes.

And from there, the story devolves into a paper-thin moralistic tale detailing Pemsel's switch from the brutal blondes, who are mercilessly cruel, to the dark-haired people who are more kindly but also more primitive. Some of the secondary characters Pemsel encounters are interesting, but Pemsel himself seems to fall into the authorial trap of "the Good German." Far too often, authors lacking practice at writing WWII German characters seem to think that all Germans during the Nazi era are just waiting to turn on Hitler and embrace democracy and apple pie.

So it goes with Pemsel. Though Turtledove has a base to build upon with a character who has been through six years of war already, Pemsel seems to simply be a recycled Heinrich Jäger or Colonel Sabrino (from Turtledove's WorldWar and Darkness series, respectively). Pemsel also has prodigious amounts of sex from almost the first pages of the novel, which feels like nothing more than a sop to the adolescent audience that normally purchases Turtledove books.

The setting Turtledove finds himself in is reminiscent of WWII, and even Pemsel himself remarks on the similarity. The characters are somewhat shaken up -- the blondes are led by someone more in line with Mussolini than Hitler -- but the geography is much the same. The blondes are fighting an empire that is deep inland, and their goal is the enemy's capital city, which has cold winters.

I halfway expected Turtledove to turn Pemsel into something like Leo Frankowski's Crosstime Engineer, building a modern, gunpowder-wielding army from scratch. But although some of that sort of world-building happens, it doesn't happen to the extent that I had hoped. Even magic, which is introduced early in the story, is largely ignored except as an obstacle to get around, rather than a means to reproduce an industrial economy, as was done in the Darkness series.

But there are interesting elements of the story. Turtledove's manner of expressing Pemsel's struggles to learn the foreign languages of the fantasy world is particularly well-done, and there isn't much of the typical Turtledove repetition that is particularly common in his multi-volume works. Still, the bad parts outweigh the good. I also must point out that the printing in my copy was crooked, with the blocks of text edging dangerously near the page edge in some places. I'd fault the publisher even more if I didn't know that the company has been around for scarcely more than a decade.

I can't say I recommend this book, except for hard-core Turtledove fans, and I'd recommend even they get this book used or from the library. I'm afraid that this book may do to Night Shade Books what Newt Gingrich's 1945 did for Baen. Baen invested heavily in selling 1945 based on Gingrich's name, but that strategy fared poorly and almost bankrupted the publisher. I sincerely hope that Night Shade did not take a similar approach with Turtledove's name and this book.

Ech, I bought it too. It was horrible... I think I was drawn in a little at the start when I noticed how Turtledove's writting style was actually showing less repetition than usual... but then came the horrible, amazingly awkward, sex scene on... page seven. Yes, I checked. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I thought he had a couple of good ideas, but mostly I agree with you - the book wasn't worth buying. Heck, sad to say I got more amusement out of the cover illustration - Wehrmacht officer riding a unicorn - than I did out of the book. :rolleyes:

Oh, and Amerigo, I like how you've started reviewing published AH - it's a nice way to find out about some of the less well known stuff out there, and to avoid crap like this book was! :)

I've never really liked turtledove, his writing style is too stilted for my tastes. really anyone who has read any decent author would balk at about page 5 of most of his books. i recently read one of the TL191s, craptastic.

and you are right, it really is adolescent fiction - it reminds me of the Obernewtyn chronicles (which were far superior in quality) or R.A Salvatore (even at 14 i wouldnt read that crap). There is so little subtlety in his writing, everything is bland and declarative.

I've never really liked turtledove, his writing style is too stilted for my tastes. really anyone who has read any decent author would balk at about page 5 of most of his books. i recently read one of the TL191s, craptastic.

and you are right, it really is adolescent fiction - it reminds me of the Obernewtyn chronicles (which were far superior in quality) or R.A Salvatore (even at 14 i wouldnt read that crap). There is so little subtlety in his writing, everything is bland and declarative.

If you read A World of Difference (a stand-alone from the 1980's) its pretty decent, and the (human) awkward sex scene isn't until about halfway in if I remember correctly. The original Worldwar Tetraology is quite good also, even if the sequals are crap.

The difference between the original Worldwar or World of Difference and the new TL191 stuff is that his editors were still willing to edit his first drafts with the old stuff.

Anyways, I thought he had a couple of good ideas, but mostly I agree with you - the book wasn't worth buying. Heck, sad to say I got more amusement out of the cover illustration - Wehrmacht officer riding a unicorn - than I did out of the book. :rolleyes:

I did like the cover illustration as well, but I've seen too many different versions of Napoleon Crossing the Alps to be that enthused when someone else takes up the brush to address the subject. I've seen versions with Hitler, versions with George W. Bush, and a half-dozen other world leaders.

Petike

Kicked
I did like the cover illustration as well, but I've seen too many different versions of Napoleon Crossing the Alps to be that enthused when someone else takes up the brush to address the subject. I've seen versions with...

What about this one ?

NapoleonBike.jpg

:D:D:D:D

Turtledove's next novel should be :

"Hey dudes, what if the ASBs gave Napoleonic France some cool blue-coloured motorcycles ?!"

An appropriate title indeed. :rolleyes:

Er... I think I agree. Although I must say, I thought R. A. Salvatore was far superior in quality as well.

I did like the cover illustration as well, but I've seen too many different versions of Napoleon Crossing the Alps to be that enthused when someone else takes up the brush to address the subject. I've seen versions with Hitler, versions with George W. Bush, and a half-dozen other world leaders.

Well, yes, but just think of the reaction that that image got out of people who didn't really understand what AH was... :D

Very nice review, Amerigo. I was particularly interested in your criticism of Turtledove’s use of the “good German” as a stock character in his work. While he’s used this type of character before, I think that his appearance in this book may be a result of negative criticisms of his 2003 work In the Presence of Mine Enemies, in particular his use of sympathetic characters with an ambivalent, deideologized attitude towards Nazism. It could be that, in the aftermath of Presence’s tepid reception, Turtledove just decided to stick with a type of character he could easily handle, and one that would allow readers to sympathize with him without feeling like they were implicitly siding with Nazis. However, from what you wrote in your review, I don’t really understand why we needed a Nazi in the first place.

you never heard of twilight novels?

they are far worse.