AH Map Challenge: The World in 2010

Xen

Banned
This is a map for a timeline I have been working on the POD is set during the American Revolutionary War. Just by looking at this map can you tell me what you think happened?

XENSWORLD.gif

Xen

Well the fairly obvious points are:
a) US wins independence but then loses to the south in the civil war. The latter includes a lot more of northen Mexico so either defeats it afterwards or Mexico loses more in the equivalent 1846 conflict. This possibly includes the Yutan peninsula.

b) Canada seems to have a breakaway by Quebec, but does seem to have Alaska.

c) Several changes in S America with Grand Columbia surviving, odd borders between Peru, Bolivia and Chile and either the latter has expanded to include the bulk of Patagonia or its a separate state.

d) In Africa most of the continent seems as OTL except that Egypt seems to be the centre of a huge state reaching from Tunis to Eritrea, so possibly a very successful Muhammad Ali and dynasty. It also includes Palestine/Israel, Jordan and the western Saudi Arabia. The southern Sudan, Dufar and the bulk of Ethiopia seem to be separate from it but can't notice any other changes in Africa. - Correction, the Congo has fragmented.

e) In Asia a sizeable single central America state. Including a sizeable chunk of western China. Also either Pakistan is on steroids or the Sikhs were mega-successful. Coupled with some odd borders in the ME, and an independent Tibet. Korea also seems to be united.

f) In Europe most borders seem to be as OTL. Not a separate Ulster so either no Irish independence or it managed to conquer the north. Germany is larger with the absorption of Austria and retaining Prussia and Silesia but doesn't seem to have A-L or Bohemia. Poland, Rumania and Bulgaria seem to be more successful and looks like the straits are separted from both Greece and Turkey. Not sure if Greece is divided north and south or just the map. A reduced Ukraine, Estonia and Latvia seem to be partly independent from whatever Russian state there is while Lithuania seems to be similarly related to Poland. Russia has also lost more of the Caucasus region.

All in all I think too many borders are OTL for the changes that occur elsewhere?

A - Canada purchased Alaska from Russia, or occupied it since troubles in Russian mainland
B - CSA won the Civil War and later annexed Northern Mexico; Baja California was occupied by the US and Yucatan broke away from Mexico in the aftermath
C - Gran Colombia was reunited, Bolivia invaded western half of Paraguay and won the Salpeter War, Patagonia broke away from Argentina (settled by French government, supporting Orélie-Antoine de Tounens?), giving Tierra del Fuego to Chile
D- United Ireland became independant, although Ulster has an autonomous status
E-Austria-Hungary broke away in the several Balkanic states, Austria was annexed by the German Empire and Bulgaria is the greatest and most powerful Balkanic state.
F-Ottoman Empire broke away in Turkey, Greater Syria, Iraq and Kurdistan, but maintained itself in its southern provinces relying on their Islamic roots, and expanding to Tunisia and Sudan.
G-Russia experienced a terrible civil war, leading to the occupation of southern Kamchatka by Japan, the independance of Caucasian states, a Greater Turkestani State (that the Tadjiks refused to join), Finland, and the establishment of a German client state of Poland-Lithuania. Ukraine, Estonia and Latvia are still comprised in the Russian state, but in an autonomous status.
H-Pakistan won a war with India and annexed large chunks of this state
I - Mongolia was overtaken by the Chinese in a gallant last stand
J - Ethiopia felt in a civil war or was divided by settlers
K-Scotland broke away from England
L-Zaire was not settled by Belgium and was subsequently divided between many powers

I think the POD is the South winning the Civil War.

I spy a Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth, so maybe a butterfly of your POD is the Kosciusko Uprising succeeding or simply the partitions don't go as well as planned. Also just noticed, the Bosporus is separated from Anatolia, so whatever state, be it a rump ottoman state or a Turkish state, does not also control the Bosporus. However, the borders indicated national boundaries ob both sides so it seems an outside power controls the Bosporus. Possibly Russia?

Edit: Also, I noticed lots of Balkanization in the Caucasus. I see what could be a larger Armenia, and a independent Kurdistan. Maybe Russia won decisively one of its many wars with the Ottomans and some puppet's came about out of it?

Oh! Also, I see a possible survival of the Mughal empire, judging by the large swath in Northern India/Pakistan. And I see a bit off of the Kamchatka peninsular, most likely due to a better Japanese victory in the Russo-Japanese War or its equivalent.

Last edited:
The Quebec border is very odd. Though it's the provincial border, in actuality that contains some rather large Anti-Secessionists majority areas in ORT.

Africa is VERY strange, too.

Aside from a few changed borders (bigger Egypt, smaller Zaire), most of the borders are identical to the weird, arbitrary colonial borders resulting from the Scramble for Africa most of 200 years later....

Okay, there we go.

The little state in Patagonia is non-viable as an independent state; it might vaguely work as a colony, though. Population density is likely to be very low.

Poor Paraguay.

It looks like New Brunswick came along for the ride with the rest of the US. Interesting that West Virginia stuck with the US, but Kentucky is (presumably) Confederate.

Last edited:
I also think the POD is the south winning the civil war. Kentucky and the southern part of Arizona/New Mexico are part of the settlement. As a result, US never purchased Alaska, but Canada did.

Since US is now fragmented, it didn't enter WW1 and Germany won, hence the borders with Poland and retention of Silesia. AH disintegrated into its other portions. Ottomans also fragmented with Southern part remaining together (they never became part of British Empire). Northern parts break up of their own accord including Anatolia and Kurdistan.British Empire also disintegrated with India/Pakistan left to their own devices to determine borders.

In this timeline, WW2 did not happen, so Japan remains an Empire with Korea and Kamchatka peninsula. Indonesia gains independence from Dutch, but Aceh splits off. Congo becomes independent, but with weakness from Belgium, no intervention. Also, limited intervention in central/south america from US leads to greater Columbia and partitioned Argentina.

China, while taking over Mongolia from weak Russia isn't united or strong enough to hold west from Central Asian republic nor Tibet.

Canada is independent, but Quebec is too. Eastern portions join US. Not sure why North and South Dakota are now one state.