AHC: Get the UK to drive on the right hand side

Devvy

Donor
While, as a Brit, I enjoy the quirks of life that make us drive on the left in contrast to much of the world, what could push us into literally switching sides?

I've read that the DoT considered it in the 1960s.

And especially when we joined the EEC in 1973, right-side driving would have probably aided the market by a common standard across almost all of Europe (as Ireland would have no doubt immediately followed the UK).

So....right-side traffic in the UK. Go!

Or else make the rest of the world switch over and drive on the Proper, ie left, side.

The Japanese are the same as the Brits, driving on the left hand side. You'd almost have to deal with both nations.

remaining with left hand traffic is world wide is easier , as left hand traffic was the established practice throughout the roman and mediaeval worlds , it's Napolean that introudced right hand traffic ...

And Indonesia is also left hand traffic.

Seriously, Right hand traffic is unnatural, just ask every ancient civilizations... Blame Napoleon for that

While, as a Brit, I enjoy the quirks of life that make us drive on the left in contrast to much of the world, what could push us into literally switching sides?

Snip

A successful Sealion?
[ducks and runs away]

Seriously, though, if it didn't happen in order to more efficiently mesh with the EEC, etc, then I can't imagine a plausible circumstance where it would.

DTanza

Banned
You'd have to build a movement behind standardization. I really don't know how that would be done.

This would probably have been easier to manage rather earlier on, before there was actually so much motor-traffic on the roads. Maybe back when the requirement to have a man walking in fornt of the car with a red flag, to help warn other pedestrians of its approach, was abolished?

Sweden was the last country on the continent to change over in 1967, so it could be done. Argentina, Uruguay, Portugal, and the former Austria-Hungary all changed during the 20th century as well.

However, one has to remember that after of the U.S., Argentina and the British Dominions the UK had the largest number of automobiles per person until the 1950s. Also, British built cars dominated their home market until around 1970, so they probably would see no need to change. Finally, the fact that Great Britain is an island does not make the need to change as pressing as other countries.

Iceland, an island like Great Britain, changed in 1968, but then again it has a much smaller population and never had an automobile industry.

Devvy

Donor
I think Sweden is the closest example to follow, and any such switch would have to be done in the 1960s/1970s before the whole road system becomes too complex.

Bit of a double edged sword; switching would open up a load of nearby export markets for British car makers, but simultaneously open up the British market for them. I have no idea if the British car makers are up to the challenge of German efficiency or not.

I think Sweden is the closest example to follow, and any such switch would have to be done in the 1960s/1970s before the whole road system becomes too complex.

Bit of a double edged sword; switching would open up a load of nearby export markets for British car makers, but simultaneously open up the British market for them. I have no idea if the British car makers are up to the challenge of German efficiency or not.

Tariffs were far more important than anything else in keeping foreign cars out. Britain was the second largest car exporter and car producer in the world between 1946 and 1955 when they were overtaken by West Germany. This is most likely because British industry was in better shape than that of France and West Germany's. West Germany and later Japan quickly overtook Britain and by 1971 Britain's car exports had peaked and production would peak the following year.

Even before WWI, Britain's car industry was already showing signs of weakness. In 1913, around 1/2 half of the cars sold in the British Isles were Fords, assembled in Britain, however none were exported as Ford of Canada had gained the exclusive right to export Fords throughout the rest of the empire. Britain's ranked 5th in the world in terms of automobile exports, exporting just 1/2 of what the United States exported. France, however was #1 with 3.5 times as many exports as Britain.

Also telling before WWI was that 70% of British car exports going to the Empire with India, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand being the principal markets. Only 15% of British car exports were going to Europe (Russia being the largest single market, though even here the Germans sold 8 times as many vehicles). In the British dominions, the American marques were overtaking the British cars in Australia and were close behind in New Zealand and South Africa.

France in contrast sold 70% of their exports to Europe, Germany 75%. Both countries also exported more to Latin America was well. Even Italy, which only exported half as many cars as the British were gaining with 65% of their cars being sold in Europe.

Perhaps without WWI, Britain would have changed to right-hand drive as imported cars were relatively popular before the war. Britain had the world's second largest number of registered vehicles (behind the USA) even though it was only the third-largest producer. The post war tariffs insulated the British industry and the share of British-built cars rose.

Automobile Production 1913
USA 461,500
France 45,000
Great Britain 34,000
Germany 20,000

World War I delayed further expansion of the continental automobile industries and the Americans became the world's largest car producers and exporters, this gave the British automotive industry a few more years of life. With tax barriers going up, British cars remained somewhat protected in their home market along with the British Empire, where Canadian-built American cars tended to be the only competition. After WW2, the British government tried export as many cars as they could and for a while exports to the dominions and Canada were important, but even here the Germans and Japanese soon displaced them.

So simply butterfly away WWI and have French, America, German and Italian cars become popular. Without the war you won't have the high horse-power and petrol taxes come into fruition, giving larger and cheaper American cars more popularity in the British Isles.