AHC: Illegalism more popular

The Vulture

Banned
Not, y'know, with the authorities or anything. But how can we give illegalism more credence among the common people as a political ideology? Maybe make Jules Bonnot and the like a more romantic, Robin Hood-like figure?

There are a number of problems with making illegalism more popular amongst the working class, or the milieux of intellectuals surrounding the working class.

I'd say the central problem is the difficulty of illegal activity, replicating the illegalist organisation, and market saturation via workers who are career criminals already saturating the economic niche.

A subsidiary problem is that the social democratic impulse is often linked to immediate pre-Fordist large factories and Fordist mass factories. I don't see a similar economic context for the recruitment of illegalists.

But wait! Aren't we merely being far too 20th century? Inefficient and pre-modern police forces combined with concentrated petits-bourgeois (see Zola's L'Assommoir, for example); seems to have been the context for the Bonnot gang. In addition, there was a requirement for a fast get away.

Perhaps if a Parisian gang takes up velocipedes in the early 19th century we could see an illegalism in the 19th century?

yours,
Sam R.

Huh, I'd never heard of this before. Could anyone but the French to turn criminal activity into a political and social movement :)?