Alternate "Great Historical Evil"

In a world where Hitler died in the trenches of WW1 or otherwise never came to power, who would take his place as the "Great Historical Evil" of the 20th century? I'd personally go for the Japanese Empire due to their antics in China like Unit 731 and the Nanking Massacre.

There was that genocide in one of the German colonies before WWI where the Germans were chucking the natives to the sharks. They slaughtered thousands.

Depends on if Japan still gets nuked. Their atrocities tend to be forgotten because they got the ultimate punishment. If you butterfly away Hitler, a lot of German scientists stay home and we might not develop the atomic bomb. We also (hopefully) avert the Holocaust which I assume is the premesis of the question.

Without Hitler as the enemy, Stalin is no longer needed as an ally and becomes the archvillian. Japan's atrocities would fly below the radar, as the West and especially the US wouldn't give much thought to what happened in China and Korea unless it affected us.

Insider

Banned
Soviet Gulags and purges.
Imperialist colonial wars, whatever Japanese, German or Belgian simply couldn't match the scale. Germans and Belgians even didn't have this many people to kill and oppress.

Imperialist colonial wars, whatever Japanese, German or Belgian simply couldn't match the scale. Germans and Belgians even didn't have this many people to kill and oppress.
Well, the Japanese had some sick actions like "who can behead the most Chinese" competitions between IJA soldiers, rape chambers (the "comfort women"), mass human experimentation by the military (Unit 731), and a "Three All" policy. In addition, Japan is likely to fall foul of the Western Powers like OTL and so get curb-stomped by the US and friends, so, there's also the "they got defeated" part as well.

....... What? WHAT?!?!?!

So the at least 18 million deaths in China (never mind the craziness in SEA) or the 50% depopulation during the Free State period are nothing compared to relatively tame purges and imprisonment of the Soviets?

Thank you for providing proof of just how utterly ignorant we are of things outside our immediate region.

Insider

Banned
If you are into body count, I match your 18 millions, with Soviet 15 million, and add 10 million of casualties of Russian civil war bringing the pool to 25 million.

If you are into body count, I match your 18 millions, with Soviet 15 million, and add 10 million of casualties of Russian civil war bringing the pool to 25 million.

Among other things, you do realize that casualties are not the same as deaths, and that 15 million is over the existence of the Soviets and includes the deaths of the Russian civil war?

I mean, nice try, but frankly the way you just brushed aside intensified death rates over a shorter period of time (only stopped due to outside intervention) to bash the Soviets is really deliberate blindness.

Among other things, you do realize that casualties are not the same as deaths, and that 15 million is over the existence of the Soviets and includes the deaths of the Russian civil war?

I mean, nice try, but frankly the way you just brushed aside intensified death rates over a shorter period of time (only stopped due to outside intervention) to bash the Soviets is really deliberate blindness.
Another thing which probably makes the Japanese Empire worse than the USSR is that the IJA carried out some depraved actions towards conquered peoples and enemy POWs as well.

Insider

Banned

Thanks. I took the low estimates. The Russian Civil War figures are deaths, my mistake, and they could be well attributed to Communists in most part. The white terror never become so prevalent, because they were loosing the territories quickly. Higher estimates go as high as 60 million deaths. Arguably the high count is adding WWII deaths. (which was mismanaged by communists, but the real perpetrators were Germans, so the figures should be split). On the other hand we had state of Manchuko and other collaborators, and whole warlord era which was not caused by Japanese, but they were quite giddy to keep China torn apart. Where their casualties go? Also we have this singular decision where Chinese republicans flooded the vast areas of the country to stop Japanese. The civil casualties were appalling, over half of million people drowned or died of exposure. Japanese were delayed, but I don't know if it cost them a platoon. On which account these poor souls suppose to go?
We can bash each other with gruesome statistics to no end and interpret deaths on our advantage. But you have proven a point, Japanese were as bad as Soviets and deserve second place in hell ex equo, after Hitler and his brown mass.

Deleted member 94680

It was something I read about years ago in The Daily Mail and was something that popped into me head when I saw this thread.

Right, yeah, the Herero Genocide. Plenty have of heard of it, it's the "feeding to sharks" bit that threw me off. They used a camp on Shark Island but didn't go all Emilio Largo on them. They used far more mundane methods and the numbers of dead pale in comparison to Belgian Congo for instance.

Still, it shouldn't be forgotten, that's for sure.

In a world where Hitler died in the trenches of WW1 or otherwise never came to power, who would take his place as the "Great Historical Evil" of the 20th century? I'd personally go for the Japanese Empire due to their antics in China like Unit 731 and the Nanking Massacre.

Much as I would like to agree, the specter of communism looms larger. I mean, Japan was not completely opposed to the existing world order of the time, compared to the Reds. The Japanese only want their slice of the pie, so to speak.

The great evil of the 20th century would not change. It is still communism Joseph Stalin and Mao ze Dong, who combined probably at least 60-70 million people, even more depending on how you count WWII. With Hitler dead WWII if it occurs is against communism. Communism becomes an even great evil then OTL.