Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VII (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

And here are Fuller's allies abroad.

"So you say you are willing to pay...any, price for progress?"
- Unknown

Roibeárd Ó Tanaidheain.png

"The north thaws as the fires of industry melt the snow. Soon, it shall be burned asunder by the undying fires of war."
- Agner S. E. Wall

Prince Ludvig, Duke of Stavanger.png

"Is your God truly as merciful as you claim?"
- Uknown

Eufronio Natale.png

Any corrections on spelling and grammar mistakes is not only welcome, but also encouraged. Anglo-Saxon is not my first language, so there's bound to be a bunch of mistakes.

"The isles have bled enough; fair Albion is already broken. A mere shadow of what she once was. Why must we torture her further?"
- Unknown

Eldormans_of_Albion_1919-1952.png

"Ah, yes. Fuller. The Butcher himself. He has died, aye? Well, too bad I still draw breathe. I would've loved to see him in hell, fighting the Devil for his crown."
- H. C. Odard Forwin, 1937

H._A._Lindhard_Fuller.png

Any questions are welcomed.
And here are Fuller's allies abroad.

"So you say you are willing to pay...any, price for progress?"
- Unknown

View attachment 839391

"The north thaws as the fires of industry melt the snow. Soon, it shall be burned asunder by the undying fires of war."
- Agner S. E. Wall

View attachment 839393

"Is your God truly as merciful as you claim?"
- Uknown

View attachment 839394
These are some very cool infoboxes. I would love to see more of this world!

Some questions:
  1. Is Albion’s government before 1911 similar to that of the German Empire?
  2. What happened to the Papal States?
  3. Was there a war that served as this timeline’s version of WW2?
  4. Does the Eastern Roman Empire still exist in TTL?

These are some very cool infoboxes. I would love to see more of this world!
Thanks! Already starting on a few more entries. I'll probably post them some time this week (or the next, depending on my schedule).
Is Albion’s government before 1911 similar to that of the German Empire?
Kinda. Pre-1911 Albion was a Federal Republic with a constituent monarchy (Wessex, the only survivor of the Republican Revolutions). Though yeah it's structure was based on the German Empire. It's constituent states, btw, are the Commonwealth of Mercia (who owns Northumbria (whose borders in turn extends to Stirling) and southern Wales), the Union of Gwynedd (the parts of Wales Mercia doesn't own), Republic of Alba (Scotland with Belfast minus Lothian), and the Kingdom of Wessex (as stated above, the only monarchy within Albion). All of the constituent nations have their own governments, with their own head of state, though their respective head of governments usually meet every 5 years to decide who the "Brytenwalda" should be amongst them, the "First Amongst Equals" who functions as their representative abroad (though mind, the constituent states also conduct diplomacy of their own, which complicates things and is why Fuller was allowed to pretty much demolish the constituent nations as a political entity without much trouble). The Kingdom of Wessex however was barred from ever getting the title for fear that it would incite pro-monarchy sentiments in certain (*cough* *cough* Northumbria *cough* *cough*) regions.
What happened to the Papal States?
Confined to the Leonine City, though Rome itself is an independent city state.
Was there a war that served as this timeline’s version of WW2?
The coming War to End All Wars (Britain and friends + Spain and friends + Tripartite Monarchy (Poland, Hungary, and Croatia) and friends vs Germany (who owns northern France) and friends. Basically all of Europe versus super Holy Roman Empire) is both the WW1 and WW2 analogue. WW1 in that it's the first truly global war, and WW2 for the technological advances and ideologies present.
Does the Eastern Roman Empire still exist in TTL?
Currently still undecided on what I'll do for Southeast Europe actually, though a few things are certain. 1) the ERE doesn't exist and 2) one of the regional powers is siding with the Germans and will surprisingly survive the conflict despite being surrounded in all sides.

Last edited:
Wilson clings on, just
Only just, and it doesn't end too well for him (worse for Thorpe, obviously, but still):
Screenshot 2023-06-19 184813.png

The 1974 United Kingdom general election took place on October 17, 1974. The incumbent Labour government of Harold Wilson sought a fourth election victory, having been elected in 1964 and reelected in 1966 and 1970.

The previous 1970 election had resulted, unexpectedly, in only a narrow victory for Prime Minister Wilson, who won a bare 318-seat majority, two more than necessary to command a majority in the Commons. Much like the 1964 victory, the resulting government was fragile, with many suspecting Wilson would attempt to hold another snap election like in 1966 in order to once again form a stable majority. However, continually tepid economic performances and controversial actions by trade unions kept Labour's polling numbers poor, and so Wilson continued to govern with his small majority.

Labour and the Liberals retained the same leadership, and were still led by Prime Minister Harold Wilson, who had become the first prime minister since 1820 to lead his government to a third successive victory, and Jeremy Thorpe, respectively. However the Conservatives had changed leadership; the second successive defeat of Heath in 1970 and widespread dissatisfaction with his leadership in various corners of the party led to his ousting in 1971; a leadership challenge by Enoch Powell, though failing, forced Heath to stand down and allowed Deputy Leader and former Chancellor of the Exchequer Reginald Maudling to rise to party leadership. Maudling managed to unite the disparate factions of the party to prepare to take Wilson down in the next election.

As part of these poor polling numbers, a number of by-election defeats afflicted the government; losing them to both the Conservatives and the typically strong by-election performers of the Liberals, this further weakened the Labour government; in late 1973 this reached the point of actually costing Labour its majority. This exposed the government to a potential defeat in a vote of no confidence; with polling indicating potential good results for the Liberal and Conservative Parties, many called for such a vote. However, the first attempt occured in February 1974, while Labour still held 315 seats; abstentions, vacancies, and absences on both sides resulted in the vote going 312-310 in favour of the government, with the Conservatives, Liberals, and nationalist parties voting against the government.

Already looking at the possibility of another confidence vote, Harold Wilson offered to negotiate a potential Lib-Lab pact, and Jeremy Thorpe reluctantly agreed, provided the Liberals' demands were met. While polling indicated favorable numbers for the Liberals, the first-past-the-post system of seat allocation offered few seats relative to vote share for the Liberals; and so a key part of the party's plank was the institution of electoral reform to better the party's opportunity to win representation. Following the confidence vote, Wilson was much more willing to engage with the Liberals in talks, and offered to appoint Thorpe Deputy Prime Minister, give ministries to Liberals, and pursue electoral reform. Thorpe and the Liberals provisionally agreed, but would first negotiate the precise manner of electoral reform to be implemented. The deal was not formal, but precluded any snap election from taking place in the immediate future.

Despite the highly uncertain and completely provisional nature of the agreement, the possibility of achieving the Liberal dream brought much attention to the party and Jeremy Thorpe in particular. The party's hope was to parlay this into positive press; however, this turned out very different. Thorpe, being the party's photogenic leader, received much of that press attention, and tabloid newspapers soon discovered evidence of a checkered homosexual relationship with one Norman Scott. This quickly became a sensational news story that created much bad publicity for the Liberals in general and Thorpe in particular, who vehemently denied being gay and the allegations of abuse and even being in the early stages of conspiring to murder Scott. Labour moved to do damage control, fearing being caught in the blast of the scandal despite never having formally agreed to a coalition with the Liberals; these attempts were undermined when evidence, later discovered to have been fabricated, emerged that showed some Labour figures - most notably Foreign Secretary James Callaghan - had known of the Norman Scott affair, which caused them to denounce the Liberals further. However, this attempt at damage control offended some Liberals, who quickly became split between a faction that favored cutting ties with Thorpe and Labour and calling and voting for a vote of no confidence, and a faction that feared the sliding poll numbers and favored staying with Labour to avoid an election. Many would call for Thorpe's ouster from the Liberal leadership.

This created a chaotic atmosphere in Westminster, where the government's viability returned to being questionable; in mid-September, Maudling called another vote of no confidence, and with several addtional by-elections losses for Labour since the last vote and some Liberals voting against the government, it passed by a narrow margin, 311 for to 308 against, triggering an early election which was scheduled for October 17, 1974. The result was widely predicted; with sluggish economic growth, union troubles, and the Thorpe affair all clouds hanging over the government, Maudling's Conservative Party easily won the election, winning a majority of 342 seats on 47.1%; Labour won 264 seats and 41.1% of the vote, a major downturn, while the Liberals lost half their seats (including Thorpe's own seat of North Devon) and fell to 6.2% of the vote. Maudling registered what was at the time the largest amount of votes a single party had garnered in a single election, and was appointed Prime Minister the next day, ending 10 years of Labour government. Wilson and Thorpe would both leave their respective party leaderships within the year; Wilson, whose health had already been declining, resigned, and in a fierce contest saw Barbara Castle, former First Secretary of State, elected Leader of the Labour Party; Thorpe, having lost his seat, would be unceremoniously ousted and replaced with David Steel. Maudling himself also would not make it to the end of 1975, being forced to resign as Prime Minister in November 1975.

Last edited:
Monarchies in Europe
There's no lore to this box, and something may be wrong (i can spot one mistake already)
But I wanted to make a box during my summer break so
I don't become rusty.
j4Xt4XN.jpg

I felt like trying something a bit different. I’ve watched the Trainwreckords episode on Cut The Crap loads of times and find the story fascinating, so felt like doing a wikibox on if it had turned out a slightly different kind of disaster. Apologies if I’ve got any details misinterpreted.

1687556733974.png

Out Of Control is the sixth and final studio album of English punk band The Clash, released on the 7th October 1985 by CBS Records. As a result of the band’s near-breakup in 1983 and subsequent reunion to produce a new album, it was produced without frontman Mick Jones.

The band’s other frontman Joe Strummer and producer Bernie Rhodes chose to reform the band, with three new members, Nick Shepherd, Vince White and Pete Howard, to replace Jones and drummer Topper Headon. It was initially hoped by the band that the Clash returning would reinvigorate punk in the world of music, which had been badly crowded out by the emergence of newer genres, and advance the Clash’s success in the United States.

The fan response to the songs when performed in concert was fairly positive. However, infighting eventually developed between Strummer and Rhodes. Rhodes wished to push the record in a more ‘modern’ direction, encouraging the use of technology such as synthesisers and drum machines. Strummer and the rest of the band were more interested in trying to keep a pared-back style due to their lack of skill in using the newer instruments, with a fight allegedly breaking out after the first track, Dictator, was rendered practically unlistenable by the instrumentation.

Despite Strummer wishing to keep Rhodes on, he was eventually convinced to have him removed from the production process, with the producer credited by the pseudonym ‘Jose Unidos’. Both Rhodes and Strummer subsequently accused each other of aggressively trying to control the band, and fans and critics expressed concern that a repeat of the commercial failure of the triple album Sandinista! would occur for Out Of Control.

The controversial decision did cause Rhodes’ push for more pop instrumentation to be incorporated into the record to get abandoned, which is believed to have shortened the production process somewhat. Strummer, who effectively self-produced the album after Rhodes’ departure, argued in interviews that ‘all the people who are making records […] they’d all gone overproduced […] We wanted to strip it down, back to punk rock roots, and see what’s left and see how it progressed from there.’ In keeping with this philosophy, Out Of Control features fairly pared-back production, akin to the band’s earlier albums and in contrast to most popular music of the time.

The album’s first single, This Is England, was released in July 1985 and proved modestly successful, peaking at number 16. Its stark portrayal of urban poverty meant it was positively-received by critics, and it has been described by fans, as well as Strummer himself, as ‘the last great Clash song’. This helped strengthen the band’s position despite the acrimonious split with Rhodes; however, it only lasted four weeks in the charts on its original run and was considered a disappointing indication for the album’s sales.

When Out Of Control did release in October, its sales were fairly poor and it received mixed to negative reviews. NME described it as ‘The Clash doing a bad tribute act to itself […] aside from This Is England, the songs are meaningless and tedious’, while Rolling Stone called it ‘not just the worst but the most unfortunately named album in a long time […] Strummer might call it sparse, but a better word is ‘anaemic’’. The album’s failure led the band to break up again, this time for good, and no further singles were released. While it is generally regarded as the worst Clash album, a handful of songs have received a little positive reappraisal in hindsight.

The 10th Nehammer Ministry a “Coalition of Good Government” managed to limp to the polls still clinging to a majority. Nehollssen had managed 3 years in office thanks to his adept ability to reshuffle cabinets on the fly. However a lagging economy and the broadly unpopular support for the Americans in Abyssinia, would drag the Coalition Parties downward.

The Big Tent ethnic parties mostly saw a shift to the left internally. Conservative ideologues trumpeted that splits were incoming, but parochialism trumped policy once again, and single ethnic parties remained static in terms of seats. German vote scattering did net Italians a plurality in Tyrol, and the Slovenian Pojdimo a surprise plurality in Styria. This was of little value in the proportional diet, but holds symbolic value.

Amongst Austrogerman and Hungarian voters the tale of the election was a race to the extremes. Traditional parties of the center collapsed. The Hungarian Christian Democrats and Liberals lost a combined 13 seats. For the first time in decades the Austrian Social Union was not the largest party in the diet. Establishment labor had tacked to the left as of late, and contributed to gains made there. However the right were the larger beneficiaries. Hungarian righests in the National Awakening Party proved the largest bloc in the diet, while the German People’s Awaken broke records. Even the fringe Catholic Liber party won one seat.

In Ruthenia, Czech, and Polish circles however, a different populist reaction occurred. Rather than the fair right, personality based parties emerged to dominate. Big on rhetoric and transparency, light on policy, the Tusk, Trident, and ZMENA parties overwhelmed most local opposition to become the holders of the keys to power.

Coalition formation remains incomplete after over two years of negation. Hopes of a “Coalition of the Nations” of nationalist remains unlikely. The leftward shift of the national parties makes them less compatible with the right, and each nationality has their own feuds and demands. The Slovak-Romanian Concordat likely precludes any alliance with Hungarians do to their demands for devolution inside the wider Kingdom. A personalist-led coalition begs the question of which personalist, while the left lacks the numbers among larger groups to bring in the Big Tent Parties.

For 2 years Emperor Karl II has failed to find a cabinet that can command a majority.

Most recently, talks to form another Nehammer Ministry on the basis of an Austrian Christian Democratic-Ruthenian Personalist-Polish-Czech-Hungarian Christian Democrat-Hungarian Liberal-Austrian Liberal-Slovak-Croat-Slovene-Romanian-Italian-Jewish-Ruthenian Conservative Coalition fell apart because the Jewish List refused to enter government without assurances for their fellow religious minority Bosniaks, which the Croatians were unwilling to give.

This will likely necessitate a change in caretaker government. Hofmeister was selected because the Jewish List is not affiliated with any linguistic group. However antisemitism has been rising, often taking the form of accusing the caretaker government of illegally forming policy, and the failure of these talks mean the list can no longer be seen as above party politics. A Muslim led caretaker government is likely to be blocked by a rare alliance of Serbs and Croats. Rumors currently center around Slovene or Polish-Czech Left Caretaker government.

You_Doodle+_2023-06-18T20_28_48Z.jpeg

God would judge me for this but it’s clear he abandoned this timeline long ago.

Any corrections on spelling and grammar mistakes is not only welcome, but also encouraged. Anglo-Saxon is not my first language, so there's bound to be a bunch of mistakes.

"The isles have bled enough; fair Albion is already broken. A mere shadow of what she once was. Why must we torture her further?"
- Unknown

Eldormans_of_Albion_1919-1952.png

"Ah, yes. Fuller. The Butcher himself. He has died, aye? Well, too bad I still draw breathe. I would've loved to see him in hell, fighting the Devil for his crown."
- H. C. Odard Forwin, 1937

H._A._Lindhard_Fuller.png

Any questions are welcomed.
Part II of this (the post at the top of the thread are part 1.5)

"Sir, the Albic...they have joined. Already they gather an army, armed to the teeth, to crush us as we are in the verge of victory. I pray the end is upon us. God has not graced us with his blessing. Instead, it is the Devil that has heard our cries."
- Ruarachan Ó Braonáin
Irish_Civil_War_1922-1925.png

"Many say I am a tyrant. Others whisper that I am mad. They are wrong: I AM BOTH!"
- Roibeárd Ó Tanaidheain

Roibeard_O_Tanaidheain.png

"The Irish sure love maiming themselves, don't they?"

- Unknown

Taoiseachs_of_the_State_Ireland_1922-1955.png

Consider the previous infobox about Roibeárd Ó Tanaidheain to be non-canon. Redid it cause I wasn't satisfied with it. Again, questions and corrections are welcomed.

Last edited:
Part II of this (the post above are part 1.5)

"Sir, the Albic...they have joined. Already they gather an army, armed to the teeth, to crush us as we are in the verge of victory. I pray the end is upon us. God has not graced us with his blessing. Instead, it is the Devil that has heard our cries."
- Ruarachan Ó Braonáin

"Many say I am a tyrant. Others whisper that I am mad. They are wrong: I AM BOTH!"
- Roibeárd Ó Tanaidheain

- Unknown

Consider the previous infobox about Roibeárd Ó Tanaidheain to be non-canon. Redid it cause I wasn't satisfied with it. Again, questions and corrections are welcomed.

1. Is the High Kingdom of Ireland a elected monarchy?
  2. Does the Union of Albion have a government in exile?
  3. What’s the situation in France during the 1920s?
  4. How did the United Kingdom of Denmark and Norway came about?

Is the High Kingdom of Ireland a elected monarchy?
It's an elective monarchy the same way the Holy Roman Empire was. Officially, yes. De facto however one family gets to become High King much more frequently compared to the rest and unless they all die off or become incredibly unpopular it's unlikely that situation will ever change.
Does the Union of Albion have a government in exile?
The Commonwealth of Albion has one, yes. Actually there's a bunch of Albic government-in-exiles. Aside from the exiled royal courts (most prominent of which are Wessex (whose claimant to the throne is technically the King-Emperor of the Victorians (the last crown prince of Wessex married the crown princess of the Victorians, who in turn is descended from the Alban branch of the Mercian royal dynasty), which complicates things) and the Kingdom of Mercia (whose heir was the final Eldorwisa of the Protectorate), there's also the Commonwealth of Albion government-in-exile (the guys before Fuller's coup), and the Realm of Albion government-in-exile (the one the commonwealth toppled). All of them hates each other's gut, but is currently working with each other out of desperation. The royal courts are based in Victoria City (Detroit), the Commonwealth in Lisbon, and the Realm in Amsterdam.
What’s the situation in France during the 1920s?
In the 1850s, the last French King of the Foix dynasty died without heirs. His most legitimate successor, as it happens, was the current Holy Roman Emperor (Guy IV's, the King in question, daughter Marie was the mother of Emperor Konrad V). The Emperor, upon hearing news of his grandfather's death would immediately press his claim on the French throne, thus igniting the French war of succession (Germany and Arles vs Hispania, Wessex (who joined without asking the rest of the Albic Kingdoms first and subsequently got invaded), the French pretender based primarily in Aquitaine, Dietsland (Netherlands with Flanders), and the Papal States). Germany won partially in the end though they weren't able to get a full victory. France as a consequence was split into two: The Kingdom of France (HRE), which spans everything east of the Seine and Loire river and was annexed directly into the HRE, and the Kingdom of France (Aquitaine), which is everything left. Both France consider themselves the legitimate successor to the old French Kingdom, and both are itching to reunify with the other the first chance they get.

Funnily enough the one who lost most was Wessex, who got invaded by the Germans, had their fleet completely destroyed, their economy completely gutted, and 3/4s of their Kingdom occupied. What saved them ultimately was the intervention of the other Albic Kingdoms (sans Gwynedd, who joined the Germans instead and swiftly got occupied by Mercia). The entire invasion traumatized the Albic states enough that talks of 'true' unification (and not the mere system of alliances/guarantees they currently have) became popular amongst the populace. Gwynedd and Alba though weren't too keen on joining with them, though they didn't have a choice. Gwynedd, as mentioned, was completely occupied by the Mercians and had their royal family replaced with a branch of the Wessaxons. Alba meanwhile already had a Mercian King on the throne and he and his entire government were extremely mercophilic, so they were very eager in uniting with the rest of their Albic kin. Regardless of the people's thoughts.
How did the United Kingdom of Denmark and Norway came about?
Norway's been owned by Denmark since what, the 14th century? After a while (specifically around the 1810s) the Norwegians started to demand equal rights to the Danish or be given total independence, and after a few years (decades, really) of debate the Danish government finally gave them the rights they so desired (After they committed some acts of terrorism). Thus the United Kingdom of the Danish and Norwegians was born.

Last edited:
It's an elective monarchy the same way the Holy Roman Empire was. Officially, yes. De facto however one family gets to become High King much more frequently compared to the rest and unless they all die off or become incredibly unpopular it's unlikely that situation will ever change.

The Commonwealth of Albion has one, yes. Actually there's a bunch of Albic government-in-exiles. Aside from the exiled royal courts (most prominent of which are Wessex (whose claimant to the throne is technically the King-Emperor of the Victorians (the last crown prince of Wessex married the crown princess of the Victorians, who in turn is descended from the Alban branch of the Mercian royal dynasty), which complicates things) and the Kingdom of Mercia (whose heir was the final Eldorwisa of the Protectorate), there's also the Commonwealth of Albion government-in-exile (the guys before Fuller's coup), and the Realm of Albion government-in-exile (the one the commonwealth toppled). All of them hates each other's gut, but is currently working with each other out of desperation. The royal courts are based in Victoria City (Detroit), the Commonwealth in Lisbon, and the Realm in Amsterdam.

In the 1850s, the last French King of the Foix dynasty died without heirs. His most legitimate successor, as it happens, was the current Holy Roman Emperor (Guy IV's, the King in question, daughter Marie was the mother of Emperor Konrad V). The Emperor, upon hearing news of his grandfather's death would immediately press his claim on the French throne, thus igniting the French war of succession (Germany and Arles vs Hispania, Wessex (who joined without asking the rest of the Albic Kingdoms first and subsequently got invaded), the French pretender based primarily in Aquitaine, Dietsland (Netherlands with Flanders), and the Papal States). Germany won partially in the end though they weren't able to get a full victory. France as a consequence was split into two: The Kingdom of France (HRE), which spans everything east of the Seine and Loire river and was annexed directly into the HRE, and the Kingdom of France (Aquitaine), which is everything left. Both France consider themselves the legitimate successor to the old French Kingdom, and both are itching to reunify with the other the first chance they get.

Funnily enough the one who lost most was Wessex, who got invaded by the Germans, had their fleet completely destroyed, their economy completely gutted, and 3/4s of their Kingdom occupied. What saved them ultimately was the intervention of the other Albic Kingdoms (sans Gwynedd, who joined the Germans instead and swiftly got occupied by Mercia). The entire invasion traumatized the Albic states enough that talks of 'true' unification (and not the mere system of alliances/guarantees they currently have) became popular amongst the populace. Gwynedd and Alba though weren't too keen on joining with them, though they didn't have a choice. Gwynedd, as mentioned, was completely occupied by the Mercians and had their royal family replaced with a branch of the Wessaxons. Alba meanwhile already had a Mercian King on the throne and he and his entire government were extremely mercophilic, so they were very eager in uniting with the rest of their Albic kin. Regardless of the people's thoughts.

Norway's been owned by Denmark since what, the 14th century? After a while (specifically around the 1810s) the Norwegians started to demand equal rights to the Danish or be given total independence, and after a few years (decades, really) of debate the Danish government finally gave them the rights they so desired (After they committed some acts of terrorism). Thus the United Kingdom of the Danish and Norwegians was born.

Great! I want to see more about this world)))
World ma, may be?

Once again, continuing from the last:
Only just, and it doesn't end too well for him (worse for Thorpe, obviously, but still):
View attachment 839400
The 1974 United Kingdom general election took place on October 17, 1974. The incumbent Labour government of Harold Wilson sought a fourth election victory, having been elected in 1964 and reelected in 1966 and 1970.

The previous 1970 election had resulted, unexpectedly, in only a narrow victory for Prime Minister Wilson, who won a bare 318-seat majority, two more than necessary to command a majority in the Commons. Much like the 1964 victory, the resulting government was fragile, with many suspecting Wilson would attempt to hold another snap election like in 1966 in order to once again form a stable majority. However, continually tepid economic performances and controversial actions by trade unions kept Labour's polling numbers poor, and so Wilson continued to govern with his small majority.

Labour and the Liberals retained the same leadership, and were still led by Prime Minister Harold Wilson, who had become the first prime minister since 1820 to lead his government to a third successive victory, and Jeremy Thorpe, respectively. However the Conservatives had changed leadership; the second successive defeat of Heath in 1970 and widespread dissatisfaction with his leadership in various corners of the party led to his ousting in 1971; a leadership challenge by Enoch Powell, though failing, forced Heath to stand down and allowed Deputy Leader and former Chancellor of the Exchequer Reginald Maudling to rise to party leadership. Maudling managed to unite the disparate factions of the party to prepare to take Wilson down in the next election.

As part of these poor polling numbers, a number of by-election defeats afflicted the government; losing them to both the Conservatives and the typically strong by-election performers of the Liberals, this further weakened the Labour government; in late 1973 this reached the point of actually costing Labour its majority. This exposed the government to a potential defeat in a vote of no confidence; with polling indicating potential good results for the Liberal and Conservative Parties, many called for such a vote. However, the first attempt occured in February 1974, while Labour still held 315 seats; abstentions, vacancies, and absences on both sides resulted in the vote going 312-310 in favour of the government, with the Conservatives, Liberals, and nationalist parties voting against the government.

Already looking at the possibility of another confidence vote, Harold Wilson offered to negotiate a potential Lib-Lab pact, and Jeremy Thorpe reluctantly agreed, provided the Liberals' demands were met. While polling indicated favorable numbers for the Liberals, the first-past-the-post system of seat allocation offered few seats relative to vote share for the Liberals; and so a key part of the party's plank was the institution of electoral reform to better the party's opportunity to win representation. Following the confidence vote, Wilson was much more willing to engage with the Liberals in talks, and offered to appoint Thorpe Deputy Prime Minister, give ministries to Liberals, and pursue electoral reform. Thorpe and the Liberals provisionally agreed, but would first negotiate the precise manner of electoral reform to be implemented. The deal was not formal, but precluded any snap election from taking place in the immediate future.

Despite the highly uncertain and completely provisional nature of the agreement, the possibility of achieving the Liberal dream brought much attention to the party and Jeremy Thorpe in particular. The party's hope was to parlay this into positive press; however, this turned out very different. Thorpe, being the party's photogenic leader, received much of that press attention, and tabloid newspapers soon discovered evidence of a checkered homosexual relationship with one Norman Scott. This quickly became a sensational news story that created much bad publicity for the Liberals in general and Thorpe in particular, who vehemently denied being gay and the allegations of abuse and even being in the early stages of conspiring to murder Scott. Labour moved to do damage control, fearing being caught in the blast of the scandal despite never having formally agreed to a coalition with the Liberals; these attempts were undermined when evidence, later discovered to have been fabricated, emerged that showed some Labour figures - most notably Foreign Secretary James Callaghan - had known of the Norman Scott affair, which caused them to denounce the Liberals further. However, this attempt at damage control offended some Liberals, who quickly became split between a faction that favored cutting ties with Thorpe and Labour and calling and voting for a vote of no confidence, and a faction that feared the sliding poll numbers and favored staying with Labour to avoid an election. Many would call for Thorpe's ouster from the Liberal leadership.

This created a chaotic atmosphere in Westminster, where the government's viability returned to being questionable; in mid-September, Maudling called another vote of no confidence, and with several addtional by-elections losses for Labour since the last vote and some Liberals voting against the government, it passed by a narrow margin, 311 for to 308 against, triggering an early election which was scheduled for October 17, 1974. The result was widely predicted; with sluggish economic growth, union troubles, and the Thorpe affair all clouds hanging over the government, Maudling's Conservative Party easily won the election, winning a majority of 342 seats on 47.1%; Labour won 264 seats and 41.1% of the vote, a major downturn, while the Liberals lost half their seats (including Thorpe's own seat of North Devon) and fell to 6.2% of the vote. Maudling registered what was at the time the largest amount of votes a single party had garnered in a single election, and was appointed Prime Minister the next day, ending 10 years of Labour government. Wilson and Thorpe would both leave their respective party leaderships within the year; Wilson, whose health had already been declining, resigned, and in a fierce contest saw Barbara Castle, former First Secretary of State, elected Leader of the Labour Party; Thorpe, having lost his seat, would be unceremoniously ousted and replaced with David Steel. Maudling himself also would not make it to the end of 1975, being forced to resign as Prime Minister in November 1975.
Screenshot 2023-06-24 183843.png

The 1979 United Kingdom general election took place on 4 October 1979. The incumbent Conservative government of Prime Minister Francis Pym sought reelection, having first been elected in 1974 under Reginald Maudling.

The immediate period surrounding the 1974 election had ultimately turned into a time of deep instability in party leadership. The Liberals had been divided throughout 1974 over how to deal with their controversial then-leader, Jeremy Thorpe, following the allegations of the scandalous Thorpe affair, and Harold Wilson, already in declining health, had resigned after the events of the 1974 election. David Steel had the won the Liberal leadership, while Barbara Castle had united the leftist and Eurosceptic factions of Labour against the weakened Labour Right candidacy of James Callaghan, her bitter political rival, who went on to the last round but was done in by allegations in relation to foreknowledge of the Thorpe affair, later proven to have been fabricated, to win the 1974-1975 Labour leadership election. Meanwhile the Conservatives had thrown out Heath after the 1970 defeat and replaced him with Reginald Maudling, who, heading a tighter Shadow Cabinet in the early 70's and taking advantage of Labour and Liberal weakness in 1974, had managed to be elected Prime Minister, and seemed secure in the role.

However, this turned out to be a mere illusion; just a few months into Maudling's tenure, investigations mounted into his business dealings. Soon, many dodgy dealings in relation to bribery, embezzlement, and conflicts of interests of many business leaders with ties to Maudling. Though he would never be formally criminally charged, the revelations damaged his reputation; some called for his resignation. By October 1975, just a year into his ministry, Maudling's position was severely weakened; he was eventually persuaded to resign for the good of the Conservative Party and the country. The resulting leadership contest was fought in unclear conditions, as few had prepared for Maudling to fall so suddenly, unpredictability would dominate the contest. Ultimately, Francis Pym, who had had a meteoric rise in the Maudling Shadow Cabinet and served as Foreign Secretary under Maudling, became the surprise winner of the leadership contest, and was appointed Prime Minister by the Queen on 3 December 1975.

The Maudling scandal, as it were, was a loss from which the Conservative government would never recover; having never won an election and being a far more junior politician than Maudling, Pym held far less authority than Maudling had, and was additionally hampered by inheriting the poor polling numbers of the late Maudling ministry, which did not improve meaningfully until well into his premiership. Meanwhile, Opposition Leader Barbara Castle proved herself an adept performer at Prime Minister's Questions against both Maudling and Pym, and significantly improved public perception of herself. David Steel also managed the Liberal leadership well, putting Thorpe's memory well into the past (aided by Thorpe having lost his seat in 1974 and later the dropping of the Thorpe investigation [1], which had decreased media scrutiny over the matter), and guided dissatisfaction with both Pym and Castle into votes for the Liberals.

As the term went on many Conservatives drew hope that perhaps Pym would guide them to an electoral victory after all, as the public began to forget the Maudling scandal and Castle made a series of public relations stumbles put them into the polling lead for the first time since 1975. However, a dip caused by Conservative infighting (a protest by government minister Margaret Thatcher) became a trend when economic sluggishness, a staple of the British political scene for a while at this point, began to rear its ugly head, and by 1979 the government was firmly unpopular yet again. They continued to delay the election, fearing the formation of a Castle government, but by late 1979 could delay the inevitable no further; the election was formally called for 4 October 1979, a few weeks before Parliament would be forced to dissolve, and the campaign ensued.

The result was well-expected; Prime Minister Pym failed to uphold his weak, divided, and scandal-plagued government, and lost 81 seats, shedding 9.8% of the vote to 37.3%. Labour under Castle won a solid victory, winning 345 seats, but taking its 81 gains with a only a weak gain of 1.8% in the popular vote to 42.9%; many commented Labour had not so much won the election as the Conservatives had lost it. The Liberals, revived under Steel's leadership, made the strongest gains on their poor 1974 result, making up both the losses of 1970 and 1974 by capitalizing on many voters who did not want to vote for Pym's weak leadership or Castle's controversial style. Nonetheless, Labour formed a strong government, so no chance of a repeat of the 1974 debacle would occur. Castle was appointed the first female Prime Minister of the United Kingdom by Queen Elizabeth II on 5 October 1979.

[1]The Thorpe scandal breaking earlier means Thorpe doesn't get quite into the weeds of the murder-y parts of the Scott affair that he was acquitted for anyway IOTL, and with Wilson having decriminalized homosexuality in the 60's there's really nothing else to prosecute there.

Last edited:
Part II of this (the post at the top of the thread are part 1.5)

- Ruarachan Ó Braonáin

- Roibeárd Ó Tanaidheain

- Unknown

What’s the situation in the new world?

What’s the situation in the new world?
In Columbia (North America), a great game rages. Two titans, the Imperial State of Victoria and the Terradorian Federation, battle for influence over the many petty kingdoms and republics that dot the green fields of the Great Plains. Their puppets and vassals battle it out to decide who will be the 'true' hegemon of the continent.

In Ameriga (South America), various nations deal with the aftermath of the collapse of German authority in the region and the sudden retreat of the Empire from the continent. Already Hispanian arms, 'volunteers', and ideas spread through the young nations that litter the-now broken continent like a wildfire that can not be extinguished. To the south (northern Argentina), the former Wessaxon colony of Seolforea vie for total domination over the regions between (east of Desaguaro river, don't have a name for them yet) and (south of Parana river). Rapidly militarizing and preparing for a great, continent-wide war that will ensure their domination over Ameriga once and for all. All the while their neighbours hastily draw up plans to prevent them from doing so, establishing alliances to form a united front against the ravenous Silver Dragon of the South.

"Alright, let's learn about the Desert War! I can't wait! Jet planes, Burning Oil Rigs, Tank battles! Tinpot Dictator-"
"What the hell are you talking about? We're going to be learning about the Deseret War!"
"Oh. That's a lot less exciting..."

-Two random Californian high school kids prior to learning about the Deseret War.
uCpkBmV.png