Bachelors for a Princess

So part of a small project I'm working on is trying to find a prince consort for Elizabeth Stuart (Charles' I daughter), but I cant seem to find many eligible men from about 1650 for her. Anyone have a list of suitors around that time (especially from Portuguese or Swedish royalty/nobility)?

So part of a small project I'm working on is trying to find a prince consort for Elizabeth Stuart (Charles' I daughter), but I cant seem to find many eligible men from about 1650 for her. Anyone have a list of suitors around that time (especially from Portuguese or Swedish royalty/nobility)?

If the Infante Teodósio of Portugal had not died from tuberculosis in 1653 he would be of the right age to marry her.

If the Infante Teodósio of Portugal had not died from tuberculosis in 1653 he would be of the right age to marry her.

Well the POD is around 1649, so could easily survive due to butterflies. However, I want to avoid any Personal Unions, so probably her marrying him wouldn't be a good idea for what she rules. I'd love a member of, or close, to the Portuguese royal family though, just none around really, and not many high nobles either (least from what I've found so far).

Mischievous interjection; Henry Cromwell is still single at this point...:D

For that matter Charles X Gustav of Sweden- the bloody heir to the throne, who succeeds Christina, doesn't marry until 1654; would be a vrey interestingly disruptive marriage, establishing a swedish claim to the throne of England- if it could be prised out of the fingers of the New Model.

Mischievous interjection; Henry Cromwell is still single at this point...:D

For that matter Charles X Gustav of Sweden- the bloody heir to the throne, who succeeds Christina, doesn't marry until 1654; would be a vrey interestingly disruptive marriage, establishing a swedish claim to the throne of England- if it could be prised out of the fingers of the New Model.

Elizabeth would more than likely laugh, then fire on the ship before it escaped out of port if Henry tried to come over and marry her.
Charles is a interesting choice, but he'd probaly have to give up the throne for it. Are there any other Vasa's about?

Does the prince really need to be from Portugal or Sweden? Her cousin Rupert of the Rhine is completely free for the job.

Yes, Rupert is around, and available, and dashing, but isn't he in the Carribean at this point? They are also not very many degrees of consanguinity apart- Rupert is Charles I's sister's son, so they are just a shade ickily close.

There are a huge number of available Vasa females, but damn' few available men, and that may be just a shade too far for seventeenth century public opinion. Most of the Vasa men seem to be dead or otherwise unavailable- Charles X had a brother, but he got married in 1649, for instance.

Wladyslaw Konstanty Vasa is the right age ish, fourteen in 1649, and single, but Catholic which is a political boobytrap for an English Stuart princess, and also illegitimate.

There's just not that much on offer in the north. Duarte de Braganza (there is a modern of the same name which makes searching a bugger) was John IV's slightly younger brother, but I can't find if he had issue or not, a portugese speaker may have better luck.

Does the prince really need to be from Portugal or Sweden? Her cousin Rupert of the Rhine is completely free for the job.

Would prefer someone from there, yea. Though didn't think about Rupert. He would've being over twice her age though by he point they got married (if they waited til she was 17 at least), and tbh, would it be a good idea for it to happen?

Probably should mention what I'm planning really. Essentially, Elizabeth escapes parliamentary control to the Americas. There, after her fathers execution, Charles "II" death at Dunbar and James' refusal to agree to Anglicanism or tolerance by the colonial officials ruling in the crown's name at the time, as well as preference to remaining in French court, lead to her being crowned Queen (in exile). This made the middle and southern colonies, Virginia and Carolina, split from the Northern (New England, which remained under Parliaments, and Puritan, control (Cromwell having died by this point and John Lambert in more or less control)) and became independent Kingdoms, in union with that of "the United Kingdom of Greater Britain".

So trying to find her a suitable husband, that wont lead to a even bigger mess down the line. Why I'd prefer Portugal or Sweden, as both had colonies near, but weren't able to really push for claims against the Commonwealth, or a noble from any country, that was at least close to royalty.

I even thought about using exiled English/Scottish nobility, but I know even less about them at the time, or the "requirements" to choose. Hell even thought about using a Dymoke, just cos of my llove of the Sparhawk book series. Dymokes are the family that usually spawn the King's/Queen's champions, that, quite literally, throw down the gauntlet at coronation dinners.

Last edited:
There's just not that much on offer in the north. Duarte de Braganza (there is a modern of the same name which makes searching a bugger) was John IV's slightly younger brother, but I can't find if he had issue or not, a portugese speaker may have better luck.

I looked at Duarte actually first of all, but from what I can gather he had no issue. The Braganzas seemed to have as much of a problem as the Vasas and other monarchies at the time: lack of men old enough or young enough.

I looked at Duarte actually first of all, but from what I can gather he had no issue. The Braganzas seemed to have as much of a problem as the Vasas and other monarchies at the time: lack of men old enough or young enough.

The Braganzas had the habit of keeping the younger brothers and sisters of the monarchs or their heirs unmarried (don't know why, though). They used to have lots of bastards, though.

The Braganzas had the habit of keeping the younger brothers and sisters of the monarchs or their heirs unmarried (don't know why, though). They used to have lots of bastards, though.

Can't find any info if they did have any. Except Gustav Vasabourg, but he was already married by then anyways.

What about a French one? Armand de Bourbon, Prince of Conti, would be available. A "Prince du Sang", brother of the great Prince of Condé, would be a nice match.

What about a French one? Armand de Bourbon, Prince of Conti, would be available. A "Prince du Sang", brother of the great Prince of Condé, would be a nice match.

How would the colonists and exiled Protestants tough feel about their new Queen marrying a Catholic Frenchman? He'd have to become at least Anglican (though the new kingdoms will have more equal toleration when it comes to religion...unless your puritan...then you better learn to run fast). But apart from that he does sound pretty perfect.

Though, also, any thoughts on english/scottish nobles at the time as well?

Originally, the plan was to marry Elizabeth off to the prince of Orange[OTL Willem II], since Charles I barely regarded the Nassaus as being fit for a king's (eldest) daughter. This would've left the Princess Mary free, to follow the dreams her dad had for her to marry Infante Baltasar Carlos of Spain. Needless to say, things happened which necessitated moving the marriage to the Dutch up, meaning that Mary was closer to maturity than Lizzie.

Also, considering Lizzie's apparent "low" church tendencies, I think Sweden/Denmark/anywhere Protestant might go over better than a match with Catholic Portugal. What about a Nassau? Obviously the prince of Orange is either taken or too young, but perhaps one of the Stadtholder (Frederik Hendrik)'s nephews?

Originally, the plan was to marry Elizabeth off to the prince of Orange[OTL Willem II], since Charles I barely regarded the Nassaus as being fit for a king's (eldest) daughter. This would've left the Princess Mary free, to follow the dreams her dad had for her to marry Infante Baltasar Carlos of Spain. Needless to say, things happened which necessitated moving the marriage to the Dutch up, meaning that Mary was closer to maturity than Lizzie.

Also, considering Lizzie's apparent "low" church tendencies, I think Sweden/Denmark/anywhere Protestant might go over better than a match with Catholic Portugal. What about a Nassau? Obviously the prince of Orange is either taken or too young, but perhaps one of the Stadtholder (Frederik Hendrik)'s nephews?

Well William of Nassau died in 27' and his brother, Louis, was married in 30'. Cant seem to find any of his other nephews (also dunno if you mean his legitimate or bastard children). Plus cant find anyone from Sweden and doubtful she'd go for a danish match, given Sweden actually borders her american realms. Might need to check the Germans again, but don't want anyone too protestant either, given the amount of royalists who are catholic.

Last edited:
How about these fine candidates:

How about these fine candidates:

- Could be a useful candidate, though would he need the Duke of Savoies permission to marry, or the French Kings?
- Unlikely...for both parties to ever accept that (especially the Kingdom of Carolinas borders, or claims, will extend to the mississipi and florida, and even colonies will start appearing there (mostly the catholic exiles, but some huegonouts too)
- Necrophilia much? XD...If he had kids, or descendents, possibly though, but cant find any

None of Hedwig's sons left descendants (legitimate or otherwise), but if we're looking for ties to Brandenburg, what of these two gentlemen:

Ludwig Kasimir of Pfalz-Simmern-Kaiserslautern (1636-1652)
Jakob of Courland (1610-1682), he was married to Luise Charlotte of Brandenburg in '45, but simply let her marry Philipp Wilhelm of Neuberg (as was originally planned) instead. Added bonus points is that Jakob is James VI's godson.

Also, Emanuele Filiberto was a deaf-mute who incurred the French king's wrath when he did marry, since before then, it was assumed that his estates would pass to the issue of Olimpia Mancini (his sister-in-law).