Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
Love the update, as usual! Wasn't expecting one because I ignore the fact that you try to keep a schedule and I have failed miserably in my own efforts.

So 1970 is over, Heavy Metal and Glam Rock are still gonna be things ITTL, Janis Joplin lives, Star Trek is gearing up for its fifth and final season, and things look pretty good in pop culture (for the most part).

As always, excited to see what 1971 has in store! I can't remember everything notable that occurs in 1971, but...

* Ping-Pong Diplomacy is butterflied away. Best of luck getting that Security Council seat, Gang of Four!

* Seven words, counting these: Idi Amin. Uganda.

* Ads for smoking on TV only air on New Year's Day during this year.

* Margaret Thatcher snatches milk from schoolchildren to save taxes. But with the UK's government being different somewhat ITTL...

* There is a Pentagon. There are papers. There are papers in the Pentagon. But there are no Pentagon Papers, probably.

On top of Cambodia, The Troubling situation in Northern Ireland, and whatever Herbert J. Edgar Hoover has in store, this is gonna be a fun year.

I can imagine her living into at least the 90's.

Do not take this as definitive by any means, as I have many ideas for when I'd like to close this timeline, but her passing away is one possible end point I've been kicking around. The TL is about politics, pop culture, and so much more, but I think it could be poetic to have it begin and end with Marilyn.

Love the update, as usual! Wasn't expecting one because I ignore the fact that you try to keep a schedule and I have failed miserably in my own efforts.

So 1970 is over, Heavy Metal and Glam Rock are still gonna be things ITTL, Janis Joplin lives, Star Trek is gearing up for its fifth and final season, and things look pretty good in pop culture (for the most part).

As always, excited to see what 1971 has in store! I can't remember everything notable that occurs in 1971, but...

* Ping-Pong Diplomacy is butterflied away. Best of luck getting that Security Council seat, Gang of Four!

* Seven words, counting these: Idi Amin. Uganda.

* Ads for smoking on TV only air on New Year's Day during this year.

* Margaret Thatcher snatches milk from schoolchildren to save taxes. But with the UK's government being different somewhat ITTL...

* There is a Pentagon. There are papers. There are papers in the Pentagon. But there are no Pentagon Papers, probably.

On top of Cambodia, The Troubling situation in Northern Ireland, and whatever Herbert J. Edgar Hoover has in store, this is gonna be a fun year.

Thank you so much, Aero! :D I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the update and I'm just as pumped for 1971 as you are. ;) Don't worry about schedules, I miss my deadlines all the time! I am at the edge of my seat with anticipation for the next installment of your TL, which I encourage all of my readers to check out here. Keep up the good work!

The Super Bowl - “Indestructible” Joe Kapp, the humble but immensely talented quarterback leads the Minnesota Vikings to a narrow victory over the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl IV.
oh god yes
September 17th - Following an argument with his bandmates after a live show in Bristol, Jimi Hendrix is found dead in his hotel room of an apparent barbiturate overdose. He was only 27 years old and rock deeply mourns the loss of one of its greatest icons. Concerned for her safety and well being in the wake of Hendrix’s death, Janis Joplin’s bandmates rush to enroll her in rehabilitation to combat her heroin addiction, arguably saving her life.
Shame that Jimi Hendrix still dies, but thankfully Janis Joplin still lives!
NBA Finals - The Boston Celtics get revenge on the Los Angeles Lakers for their upset the year before, sweeping the finals four games to none.
And the Knicks lose their chance at one of their only two titles… :'(
Japan becomes the world’s fourth “Space Power” by launching its own satellite into orbit, following the Soviet Union (1957), United States (1958), and France (1965).
Now that is amazing.

Keep up the good work, @President_Lincoln! Always happy to read more!

Good update; the more things change, the more they stay the same (RIP, Hendrix; at least Joplin will live longer)...

Hope Badfinger avoids the horrible fate it endured ITTL (not meeting Stan Polley would help with this; he stole a lot of their money)...

Like that the Elvis version of Bridge over Troubled Water also hit #1; it's an underrated song, IMO...

On a side note, no Colonel Parker means that Elvis will tour internationally more ITTL; Parker was an illegal immigrant, which is a big reason why Elvis never toured overseas (Parker feared he'd be deported)...

oh god yes

Shame that Jimi Hendrix still dies, but thankfully Janis Joplin still lives!

And the Knicks lose their chance at one of their only two titles… :'(

Now that is amazing.

Keep up the good work, @President_Lincoln! Always happy to read more!

Thanks, Grayhoof! :D Always happy to hear your feedback.

Good update; the more things change, the more they stay the same (RIP, Hendrix; at least Joplin will live longer)...

Hope Badfinger avoids the horrible fate it endured ITTL (not meeting Stan Polley would help with this; he stole a lot of their money)...

Like that the Elvis version of Bridge over Troubled Water also hit #1; it's an underrated song, IMO...

Thank you, Unknown! :D Happy to hear you enjoyed the update. :) I too am a big fan of Elvis' version, I wish it was more well known IRL.

Great update as usual President. Jonh Lennon and the best film director of all time working together is promising, I can see Jonh instead of Jack Nicholson in The Shining. Eventually he can become a film director influenced by Kubrick, maybe making a Imagine movie version, need not necessarily be like OTL music, but become an anti-war symbol. On Chile, it's good that Che Guevara isn't going through there in 73 or Pinochet can take control like OTL

Great update as usual President. Jonh Lennon and the best film director of all time working together is promising, I can see Jonh instead of Jack Nicholson in The Shining. Eventually he can become a film director influenced by Kubrick, maybe making a Imagine movie version, need not necessarily be like OTL music, but become an anti-war symbol. On Chile, it's good that Che Guevara isn't going through there in 73 or Pinochet can take control like OTL

Thank you, Peter Gabriel! :D Glad to year that you liked the update. :) John may yet get to have a more prominent role in a Kubrick film, though I won't give anything away just yet. ;) I figured IOTL, Yoko encouraged his passions for art and poetry, maybe ITTL Ursula could encourage his interest in film.

Thank you, Peter Gabriel! :D Glad to year that you liked the update. :) John may yet get to have a more prominent role in a Kubrick film, though I won't give anything away just yet. ;) I figured IOTL, Yoko encouraged his passions for art and poetry, maybe ITTL Ursula could encourage his interest in film.
...Napoleon?.....A.I.?....another film he never got to make IOTL that's not as well known?

Great update as always!

I love this timeline but you have created a grave error.

THERE IS NO BUTTERFLY LARGE ENOUGH TO MAKE THE CHIEFS LOSE TO THE VIKINGS IN SUPERBOWL IV. :mad::mad:

Are you a misguided soul from the north, or God forbid a Raider or Bronco fan? :openedeyewink:

There are Doctors who can handle this type of madness.

Best regards

Very nice update. Poor Jimmi- I hope he’d get the last second save and rehab.

Beatles seem to be on better terms here, is this the lack of Ono?

Alec Guiness as the Doctor? Now that is nice casting.

Shame the Muppets are not made in the UK here, I think the UK helped flavour the first shows well.

Is Clockwork Orange still as controversial?

What has happened to the old rovk and roll stars like Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee etc please?

THERE IS NO BUTTERFLY LARGE ENOUGH TO MAKE THE CHIEFS LOSE TO THE VIKINGS IN SUPERBOWL IV. :mad::mad:

Are you a misguided soul from the north, or God forbid a Raider or Bronco fan? :openedeyewink:

Best regards

I take it you're a Chiefs fan?

Some really great stuff @President_Lincoln :) The butterflies have been flapping their wings nicely...

Why thank you, @theg*ddam*hoi2fan! :) Indeed they have ;)

...Napoleon?.....A.I.?....another film he never got to make IOTL that's not as well known?

Great update as always!

Thanks Roger! :D

Best regards

Lol thank you for your thoughts, sir! I apologize if you think the Vikings winning Super Bowl IV is a step too far. ;) I'll try and get back on track with future updates.

Very nice update. Poor Jimmi- I hope he’d get the last second save and rehab.

Beatles seem to be on better terms here, is this the lack of Ono?

Alec Guiness as the Doctor? Now that is nice casting.

Shame the Muppets are not made in the UK here, I think the UK helped flavour the first shows well.

Is Clockwork Orange still as controversial?

What has happened to the old rovk and roll stars like Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee etc please?

Thanks Ogrebear! To answer your questions, the Beatles are on better terms primarily due to Brian Epstein surviving and continuing to manage them and keep them from fighting about money, creative differences, and so on. They are scheduled to get back into the studio and record a new album together sometime in 1971. :)

Glad you like the Guinness casting :D Anything to help him still have a hallowed place in nerd-dom. ;)

A Clockwork Orange is essentially the same film as OTL, except with John Lennon playing a minor role.

Jerry Lee Lewis is performing at the Grand Ole Opry, similar to what he was up to IOTL. Chuck Berry is playing a series of ramshackle tours across the country, though he is earning a reputation for being unreliable and frustrating to those he plays with. It was often Berry's style to travel by himself on the road, just himself and his Gibson guitar, assuming any band he hired in any town would be able to play his music. He often wouldn't even talk to them or give them a set list, just assumed they would follow his lead after every guitar intro.

Thanks Booker! :D As I've mentioned before, I want Marilyn to always be one of the constant threads of this timeline. Her survival is our POD, and I really think that given the right opportunities she could have shined as a "serious" actress and activist as she is here. :) So far ITTL, she's starred in her usual comedies (Something's Got to Give), an action thriller (Airport) and an iconic Rom-Drama in The Graduate.
Actually, do you know what would be amazing? If Monroe actually decided to show up in Airplane! as well (or maybe just have a cameo as the "I speak Jive" lady).

Why thank you, @theg*ddam*hoi2fan! :) Indeed they have ;)

Thanks Roger! :D

Lol thank you for your thoughts, sir! I apologize if you think the Vikings winning Super Bowl IV is a step too far. ;) I'll try and get back on track with future updates.

Thanks Ogrebear! To answer your questions, the Beatles are on better terms primarily due to Brian Epstein surviving and continuing to manage them and keep them from fighting about money, creative differences, and so on. They are scheduled to get back into the studio and record a new album together sometime in 1971. :)

Glad you like the Guinness casting :D Anything to help him still have a hallowed place in nerd-dom. ;)

A Clockwork Orange is essentially the same film as OTL, except with John Lennon playing a minor role.

Jerry Lee Lewis is performing at the Grand Ole Opry, similar to what he was up to IOTL. Chuck Berry is playing a series of ramshackle tours across the country, though he is earning a reputation for being unreliable and frustrating to those he plays with. It was often Berry's style to travel by himself on the road, just himself and his Gibson guitar, assuming any band he hired in any town would be able to play his music. He often wouldn't even talk to them or give them a set list, just assumed they would follow his lead after every guitar intro.
What role is Lennon playing if I may ask?

Fight Over an Equal Rights Amendment
Personally I don't think this would be a big issue ITTL, the Amendment was just symbolism and would not of done much, considering how vague the wording was. It was sunk otl by Schafly and Co. because of the general Conservative reaction of the late 70s and sensationalism of the propaganda that Schafly employed about the "perversion of our justice system by Liberal activists" which hit the right buttons with Conservatives especially after Roe V Wade.without those rulings and without the confidence they had in the OTL 70s,the conservatives would not really fight it, and look for better things to do with their time.