Britannia's Fist: From Civil War to World War

Britannia's Fist: From Civil War to World War
By Peter G. Tsouras
ISBN 978-1-57488-823-2
Four stars out of five.
Pros: Superb research, unique POD, interesting story
Cons: A bit of weaponry fetish, may not be suitable for casual readers, dashes of Ameriwank

Britannia's Fist: From Civil War to World War is not a book about the Trent Affair. And given the number of alternate history books released in recent years (1862, Stars and Stripes series, etc.) that have revolved around that subject, I immediately gave Tsouras extra points upon cracking this book open. Instead of just another Ameriwank fantasy that has Gatling guns, repeating rifles, and ironclad warships magically produced and used by the most effective commanders in the Union by the end of 1861, what I found was a well-researched, interesting story with at least a semi-plausible backstory. Any potential reader should be warned that this is just the first book in a planned trilogy, however.

Rather than the Trent Affair, Tsouras chooses the diplomatic conflict surrounding the construction of the Laird Rams, a series of ironclad commerce raiders constructed in British shipyards for the Confederate States of America. In our history, American diplomacy and the desire of the British government to avoid war caused the seizure of the rams before they could be turned over to the British government. Here, that government is slightly slower to act, and an American ship attacks the first of the ironclads in British waters before it can be outfitted with guns and a full crew. A British ship attempts to intervene, and is sunk in the process. The public on both sides of the Atlantic is inflamed, and the war is on.

Unusually for an alternate history novel, which tends to assume a bit of familiarity with the subject by its readers, Tsouras spends a good quarter of the book establishing backstory and setting the scene. Given the relative obscurity of his point of departure from our history, however, the words are well spent. Particularly nice is a foreward in which he partially explains why he chose this subject. I assume that we'll see future volumes building upon the backstory established in this first volume, as there isn't much character development in the book -- Tsouras balances his time among three different theatres of war, and two others are hinted at.

That balancing act forces Tsouras to spread himself thin in showing readers the overall course of the war, and at just 255 pages (including approximately 30 of appendices and footnotes), I felt I didn't get as much bang for my buck as I hoped. This can be made up in future volumes, but if Tsouras spends too much time in the next volume recounting what we've learned here, it may limit what he's able to cover in the overall series. The footnotes and appendices are extremely useful for someone hoping to find out more, and there are dozens of allohistorical notes that provide hints of the future story.

Because the book is mostly written from the angle of a history recounting the war, we don't get much characterization. That fact may have prevented Tsouras from falling into the typical alternate history author's trap of giving past characters modern morals -- or Tsouras may be savvy enough to avoid falling into that trap. I simply can't tell at this point. That isn't the case with Tsouras' non-human characters -- the weapons used by the combatants.

I use the phrase "non-human characters" for the simple fact that far more attention is devoted to the details of Dahlgren Guns and Armstrong cannon than President Lincoln or the other figures who appear in the story. Tsouras' attention to these "characters" extends to the point of him seeming to set the stage for faster technological development of weapons -- Gatling Guns, repeating rifles, etc. -- in future books. He does manage to put this into the context of historical characters, however, and gives at least some basis for the movements in that direction.

In doing so, Tsouras avoids falling into the trap of Harry Harrison's Stars and Stripes Forever trilogy -- to which I think this series can be compared. Both deal with British/American conflicts during the Civil War, both will involve the quicker development of technology, and both (likely) deal with American victories. Although this is only the first book in the trilogy, Tsouras' writing heavily foreshadows an American victory in the war, even at this early point in the overall story.

Fortunately, the foreshadowing and characterization isn't absurd as it was in the Stars and Stripes trilogy. Tsouras seems to have a well-researched series in the works here, and if it can keep from advancing technology too quickly (or if it can at least provide enough justification for such a move) and if it can avoid falling into the bombastic Americanism of Harrison's series, this could be Tsouras' best work yet.

I'd recommend alternate history fans with an interest in the Civil War pick this up, but I'd warn alternate history fans in general or Civil War history fans in general to be wary of buying this at full price.

Two things I forgot to mention:

There's a nice mention of the commander of the British 95th Rifles.

I was also reminded of something 67thTigers said in one of the discussions about the Trent War here on the boards ... about how it'd be a lot more interesting if you could find a way to have a war in 1863 or 1864, when the Union Army was at the peak of its efficiency. Well, here it is.

I do hope he doesnt fall into the usual trap of assuming that the US can develop tech faster than the Uk in this time period.
The historical perspective is deceptive, in that countries were not at war and looking for any particular speed of development (which tends to favour the smaller countries).
However in big war terms, tech development favours the country with the big economic base, and in that perios they dont come bigger than the UK. As in 10 times bigger (for the areas involved in military matters) than the USA.
In present day, that equates roughly to expecting Italy to out-develop the USA...:rolleyes:

How "right" does the author get the British Army? I assume he at least bothered to look stuff up?

67th Tigers, you're the expert in this area, not me. There's a fast-advancing campaign against northern New York/Maine in order to keep U.S. forces away from Canada, but aside from that, we don't see much of the British Army. In many ways, the book seems to be a set-up piece for later works.

American victory? You could make a case that the US could win battles against the Brits on land, but at sea, it's all Britain. The blockade is a war winner that the US has no counter against. This inconvenient fact seems to get overlooked a lot...

American victory? You could make a case that the US could win battles against the Brits on land, but at sea, it's all Britain. The blockade is a war winner that the US has no counter against. This inconvenient fact seems to get overlooked a lot...

In the long run yes. In the short run though, at this particular tech level, monitor type warships are vastly superior to ocean-going ironclads in combat for the same resource expenditure but are utterly unable to cross the Atlantic. With a late 1863 war, the U.S. Navy would actually be superior to the Royal Navy in armored warships on this side of the Atlantic. With wooden warships being nothing but deathtraps against armored ships, there is no way the British would be able to establish a true blockade for a long time.

The Union blockade is still screwed though.

67th Tigers

Banned
67th Tigers, you're the expert in this area, not me. There's a fast-advancing campaign against northern New York/Maine in order to keep U.S. forces away from Canada, but aside from that, we don't see much of the British Army. In many ways, the book seems to be a set-up piece for later works.

Sounds like they might have read up. That's part of the OTL warplan.

In the short run though, at this particular tech level, monitor type warships are vastly superior to ocean-going ironclads in combat for the same resource expenditure but are utterly unable to cross the Atlantic.

Why are the Monitors superior to HMS Warrior & Black Prince in combat?

They're not. The Warrior's Coefficient of Fighting Efficiency is about 50 times higher than Monitors.

Then presumably the RN would destroy the american fleet and successfully blockade the Union Ports. With total control of the seas, I guess that Tsouras must have another great power intervene to distract Great Britain from crushing the US, my favourite for this would be France.

Another question I have, is would the US be internally self sufficient and able to continue prosecuting the war, or are they reliant on imports to fuel their 'war effort'?

Why are the Monitors superior to HMS Warrior & Black Prince in combat?

At normal combat distances, the only target on a monitor would be the turret, which has 2-3 times the armor of armored frigates like the Warrior. (or the Achilles or the Minotaur). Plus Monitors concentrate on small numbers (2) of very heavy guns as opposed to the much large numbers of smaller guns of the armored frigates which is a much more effective arrangement against armor. The 15 inchers on Canonicus class monitors would smash right through the Warrior and has a good chance against the Minataur as well, while their turret armor would be immune to anything carried by the British ships.

It's not really possible to make a monitor seaworthy without sacrificing its main advantages, (masts screw with lines of fire, increased freeboard means vastly increased target area) so the British would either have to assemble their own monitors/battery ships/rams in North America, or build very large numbers of seagoing ironclads greatly superior to the American ships, both of which they can do, but not right away.

They're not. The Warrior's Coefficient of Fighting Efficiency is about 50 times higher than Monitors.

Can you explain this number? Obviously no monitor can face the Warrior on the open seas, considering they would founder before even fighting, but how would the Warrior even damage a late war Monitor? And what monitor design is this number for? The Canonicus is very different beast from the Monitor which was really only a prototype.

Edit-After some research, it seems that prior to the Minotaur, British seagoing ironclads were not fully armored, with their extremities including their rudders and steering unprotected. This seems a critical vulnerability in battle against a fully armored ship with superior manuverability. This makes me more curious about this number of yours which really sounds made up.

Last edited:
Hmm, just went and checked the book out on Amazon, France is in with us Brits, the Copperheads rebel against Federal control and side with the Confederates. But stock phrases such as 'the young republic' 'old world empires', 'young republic fights for its life', suggest to me its another another USA takes on the world and tans their hides story. Think i'll save my money on this one:D

67th Tigers

Banned
At normal combat distances, the only target on a monitor would be the turret, which has 2-3 times the armor of armored frigates like the Warrior. (or the Achilles or the Minotaur). Plus Monitors concentrate on small numbers (2) of very heavy guns as opposed to the much large numbers of smaller guns of the armored frigates which is a much more effective arrangement against armor. The 15 inchers on Canonicus class monitors would smash right through the Warrior and has a good chance against the Minataur as well, while their turret armor would be immune to anything carried by the British ships.

It's not really possible to make a monitor seaworthy without sacrificing its main advantages, (masts screw with lines of fire, increased freeboard means vastly increased target area) so the British would either have to assemble their own monitors/battery ships/rams in North America, or build very large numbers of seagoing ironclads greatly superior to the American ships, both of which they can do, but not right away.

The armour, while thicker on Monitor, is of much lower quality. Monitor's armour is essentially cast iron (it's 5% silica!!!), and consists of 8 layers, each 1" thick. Even 6.4" shell was smashing plates. If we reduce both to a single standard, Warrior has twice the resistance to shot of Monitor (and a very large advantage over Gloire).

What it comes down to is Warrior's 68's can smash Monitor's armour (a single penetration of the turret is unlikely, but the sides or deck are vulnerable to single shot penetration), but Monitor's 11" will fail to even dent Warrior's belt.

The 15" will not smash straight though Warrior, even with 60lb charges. When tested 15" common shot would barely penetrate at 100 ft, although performed much better if Palliser shot was used (penetrations at 500 yds).

The size of the British ironclad force in 1863 is fairly considerable. Warrior, Black Prince, Defence, Resistance, Hector, Valiant, Prince Consort, Caledonia, Ocean, Royal Oak, Achilles, Minotaur, Royal Sovereign, Scorpion, Wivern, Reseach, Enterprize, plus of course Terror, Thunder, Glatton, Trusty, Aetna, Erebus and Thunderbolt. At no point during the ACW does the USN have more ironclads than the RN (although ISTR they may have equalled it towards the end)

These later vessels are actually designed to operate in the littoral (Monitor's draught of 10 ft 6 is pretty deep). It's Terror vs Monitor that's likely, and my money is on Terror.

The armour, while thicker on Monitor, is of much lower quality. Monitor's armour is essentially cast iron (it's 5% silica!!!), and consists of 8 layers, each 1" thick. Even 6.4" shell was smashing plates. If we reduce both to a single standard, Warrior has twice the resistance to shot of Monitor (and a very large advantage over Gloire).

What it comes down to is Warrior's 68's can smash Monitor's armour (a single penetration of the turret is unlikely, but the sides or deck are vulnerable to single shot penetration), but Monitor's 11" will fail to even dent Warrior's belt.

The 15" will not smash straight though Warrior, even with 60lb charges. When tested 15" common shot would barely penetrate at 100 ft, although performed much better if Palliser shot was used (penetrations at 500 yds).

The size of the British ironclad force in 1863 is fairly considerable. Warrior, Black Prince, Defence, Resistance, Hector, Valiant, Prince Consort, Caledonia, Ocean, Royal Oak, Achilles, Minotaur, Royal Sovereign, Scorpion, Wivern, Reseach, Enterprize, plus of course Terror, Thunder, Glatton, Trusty, Aetna, Erebus and Thunderbolt. At no point during the ACW does the USN have more ironclads than the RN (although ISTR they may have equalled it towards the end)

These later vessels are actually designed to operate in the littoral (Monitor's draught of 10 ft 6 is pretty deep). It's Terror vs Monitor that's likely, and my money is on Terror.

As I already said, Monitor was a rather low quality prototype built in extraordinary haste which had already sunk by the time the POD comes, and the proper comparison is with the Canonicus class which the Royal Navy would be facing. I don't know about the quality of the armor on the Canonicus, but it was certainly thicker than the Monitor and you already admitted Warrior can't penetrate Monitor's turret armor. Sure, you can penetrate the side or deck armor, but they provide almost no target. And the 15 inchers can penetrate the Warrior's side armor and that of all British ironclads until the Minotaur class (and that too at point blank) while none of the British can penetrate the Canonicus's turret armor at any range. Plus, until the Minotaur, much of the hulls of the British ironclads were unarmored and thus completely vulnerable. Indeed, the primary flaw in the Warrior is that her steering is completely unprotected. If that gets taken out, then she becomes nothing more than a target and even a crappy river monitor would be able to smash her, taking advantage of her unarmored stern.

Your numbers are also kind of questionable. According to Wiki (unreliable I know) the British only had 10 seagoing ironclads in 1864. Minotaur for example wasn't commissioned until 1868, and Caledonia not until 1865. And the floating batteries are hardly seagoing. I'm not sure they can make it across the Atlantic, certainly not under their own power, so I don't think Terror is going to be facing the U.S. Navy.

Last edited:
A problem shared by most of the US monitors in regards to their turrets were the way the plates were bolted on. Hits frequently caused bolt heads to shear off and they became dangerous projectiles in the close confines of the turret.

You should not exclude the Passaic class, but truthfully both classes had serious drawbacks. The general question would be where exactly do you believe both the British and American ironclads will meet.

The floating batteries may hardly be seaworthy, but it isn't hard to modify a warship to be able to at least make the transit from port to theater. Any low freeboard British monitors constructed would be temporarily given high bulwarks for being towed overseas.

Given how unseaworty the US monitors were, was ramming a suitable tactic for a bigger ship? After all, it doesnt matter if it cant penetrate the turret armour if its just run right over you....