Clothing/Uniforms in a modernized Roman World

From My Great Israel Thread [ASB]
I'm going with the several thousand People from Max's Security service Trained in Roman/Jarl Shield Wall Tactics. ?Should I put them in Roman Uniforms?
I got to thinking --
?What would Modern Roman Uniforms look like? Other Clothing? Colors?
?Would a surviving Rome allow more local/traditional Folk Clothes?*
?Would whe get a World wide Standard for Business wear, Uniforms, ect.?

*With a surviving Rome, Whe don't have the Hanover royals banning Kilts as Jacobite
whe don't have Beau Burmell, with his Black Plain Clothes, [Trousers & Coat] influencing the Prince Regent, whose British Empire then took the look world wide.
No Victoria rescinding the Ban, but English Industrialists, mandating Knee Length, so the [Traditional] floor length doesn't get caught in the Machinery.
Kilts remain more Mainstream & Floor Length.

A modern Rome would probably look like any North American or Western European country or city because after all, Rome spawned all of these in a sense.

Not really. The GIGANTIC butterflies from a surviving Roman Empire would butterfly away fashion as we know it.

Purple would not become a common color - The ruling classes would have a monopoly on it.

archaeogeek

Banned
Not really. The GIGANTIC butterflies from a surviving Roman Empire would butterfly away fashion as we know it.

Purple would not become a common color - The ruling classes would have a monopoly on it.

That's assuming roman society is static. I don't remember the modern world living by medieval sumptuary laws :rolleyes:

I can see artificial dyes seeing a boom of bourgeoisie wearing purple that turns the upper classes off it completely.

Agreed.

You'd have to do very in depth research on the evolution of all parts of fashion here from the neck-tie to suits to pants.

I disagree. As soon as a successful artificial pigment comes, it'll be an accessible color. The issue in the days of Rome was that it was hard to make and therefore expensive (and it wasn't really purple as we know it, btw; more a reddish kinda burgundy color I think).

Unless Rome is dystopic, it's something that could see the common man wearing it.

Yeah, I began to rethink that post once I factored in industrialization and artificial dyes. Wasn't Mauve the first artificial dye, after all?

I'm actually having similar troubles working on a Byzantine Steampunk outfit-I can't quite decide which elements from the time period I should keep, and which would have evolved, etc. Of course, I'm slightly better off in that I have a lot of folk costumes that I can use as a general basis, but still.

I'm actually having similar troubles working on a Byzantine Steampunk outfit-I can't quite decide which elements from the time period I should keep, and which would have evolved, etc. Of course, I'm slightly better off in that I have a lot of folk costumes that I can use as a general basis, but still.
An image of a mixture of medieval clothing with roman toga and modern shirt/pants formation just came to my head.

I think pants would replace togas/other robed outfits, as Europe north of the Alps will eventually supercede the Mediterranian for simple demographic reasons (can support more people).

archaeogeek

Banned
I think pants would replace togas/other robed outfits, as Europe north of the Alps will eventually supercede the Mediterranian for simple demographic reasons (can support more people).

Togas were not ordinary wear, however, they were worn on top of ordinary clothes as formal wear. I could well see a modernized, smaller form of the toga (maybe a pelisse-like cloak with a side partially brought up in front on the other shoulder, fastened by a button there) on top of the northern legs-covered suit.

Edit:
3rdMarquessOfLondonderry.jpg

The marquess of Londonderry looking dashing in a hussar uniform, complete with a pelisse worn on his shoulder, as it should be worn.

Last edited:
I'm reminded of that famous line from the classic movie Gone With The Wind. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a dram!", as said by Rhex to Scarlett. :D