Communist Italy: consequences for the Papacy?

Wolfpaw

Banned
I don't see anything bad happening to the Pope. Not even the Bolsheviks murdered the Patriarch, and were in the throes of a radicalizing apocalyptic civil war.

The Vatican City is probably more or less respected while the Church is disestablished throughout the rest of Italy.

Assume a Czechoslovak-style PCI coup in the late '40s.

Some hothead will probably want to get rid of him, but Togliatti and the other polity (after a Gibbs-slaps) point that at the time, many italians (and a lot of their supporters and party members) are catholics and such move will divide the party and the nation...and they will not be on the winning side.

The americans wont let italy go communist. Golpe and colonels are what will happen.

the first post-war election were tense, with the PCI armed to the teeth and with men in position, many feared that in case of them not winning legally they will try to use the force.
Sure a communist golpe without the soviet troops in place is much harder, and even if a initial succesfull insurrection was total in the capacity of the communist a clear victory in the long term was not assured and soon we will had a situation of civil war like Greece.

Wolfpaw

Banned
the first post-war election were tense, with the PCI armed to the teeth and with men in position, many feared that in case of them not winning legally they will try to use the force.
Sure a communist golpe without the soviet troops in place is much harder, and even if a initial succesfull insurrection was total in the capacity of the communist a clear victory in the long term was not assured and soon we will had a situation of civil war like Greece.
I could see this happening; people forget how well-armed and battle-hardened Communists in north Italy were.

In the event of a Communist victory, I could see some nasty things happening, with the south becoming the base for Western resistance and Tito covertly supplying the Italian Communists with arms.

Whether or not Stalin would get involved is up in the air; he realized that Greece would be outside his control and more in Tito's orbit. I could see him actually trying to exploit the whole situation to get rid of Tito somehow.

In the event of a Communist victory, I could see some nasty things happening, with the south becoming the base for Western resistance and Tito covertly supplying the Italian Communists with arms.

Well in some place they were already happen, in the 'Red Triangle' in Emilia-Romagna a lot of non communist partisan, former fascist etc. etc. had the nasty habit to woke up with the throat cut or get a bad case of lead poisoning. Regarding Tito, it's more probable that will try to get Trieste and the adjacent zone, as the PCI under Palmiro 'Il migliore' Togliatti was totally devoted to Stalin so after the split with Tito, things will sour in the border zone.

Whether or not Stalin would get involved is up in the air; he realized that Greece would be outside his control and more in Tito's orbit. I could see him actually trying to exploit the whole situation to get rid of Tito somehow.

Stalin will love to get Italy in his sphere due to the strategic position, but with relations with Yugoslavia worsening there is no direct way to supply the communist insurgent so it's more probable that will wait and see.

Esopo

Banned
There is no way communists can gain control of italy in the late 40's. In italy there are the army, the allied troops, the police, a majority of population which wont let it happen. Stalin wont support any attempt to change the yalta borders. If something is attempted, it will immediatly fail and Italy will end with a right wing dictatorship supported by the church and the americans in the name of freedom.

If something is attempted, it will immediatly fail and Italy will end with a right wing dictatorship supported by the church and the americans in the name of freedom.

I doubt you'd get a "proper" dictatorship, much more likely is a DC government like OTL with a bit more ballot stuffing.

Esopo

Banned
I doubt you'd get a "proper" dictatorship, much more likely is a DC government like OTL with a bit more ballot stuffing.

Why? americans tolerated dictatorships in greece and iberia. And there were plans for a military golpe until the 80s'. Dont forget that most of the burocracy was still the one from fascist time.

Wolfpaw

Banned
The neo-Fascist elements may be stronger. Perhaps Fanfani becomes President of the Republic, Gelli plays a more open role, and MSI folks like Almirante and De Marsanich have more clout.

Well first, I think if the Communists in Italy attempted a takeover after the UN was established, its getting nixed. If the Communists pulled a takeover during the ending stages of the war, they could maybe hold the territory in the North, where the Communists had their base, while the South could remain an American satellite and home to the Monarchy.

Well first, I think if the Communists in Italy attempted a takeover after the UN was established, its getting nixed. If the Communists pulled a takeover during the ending stages of the war, they could maybe hold the territory in the North, where the Communists had their base, while the South could remain an American satellite and home to the Monarchy.

An Italian DMZ would make for an interesting place, if a bit too mined for trekking.