DBWI: A Utopian Star Trek

As everyone knows, Gene Roddenberry was extraordinarily pessimistic about the future of human civilization. Star Trek isn't known as one of the most depressing television shows (and works of science fiction in general) for nothing, after all: in TOS, and all other series that followed, it shows a universe where everything that can go wrong seems to go wrong.

But what would a show like Star Trek look like portraying a utopian universe instead? How would the characters be different? What would the Federation look like?

Have at it...

As everyone knows, Gene Roddenberry was extraordinarily pessimistic about the future of human civilization. Star Trek isn't known as one of the most depressing television shows (and works of science fiction in general) for nothing, after all: in TOS, and all other series that followed, it shows a universe where everything that can go wrong seems to go wrong.

But what would a show like Star Trek look like portraying a utopian universe instead? How would the characters be different? What would the Federation look like?

Have at it...

Do you play on GiTP? A game I'm in just had the creation of Star Trek, where a racist and imperialistic Human Empire dominates a mostly peaceful galaxy, with Roddenberry drawing heavily upon his experiences in WWIII to set the tone.

Okay, I hate to give the obvious answer, but...

Remember that episode, "Mirror, Mirror"? That's the episode with the parallel universe where everyone and everything was basically the opposite of how it was in the Star Trek universe.

People mainly remember that episode for how Spock, usually sporting that iconic black beard of his, was clean-shaven. (In fact, it's become a cliche in television and movies to depict the "good twin" of an evil character by taking away their beard.) But beyond that, it's a really significant episode. If the regular canon of Star Trek, with the xenophobic human-dominated Federation indiscriminately conquering and subjugating alien races, was the problem, then the parallel universe of "Mirror, Mirror" was the solution. Instead of Zefram Cochrane shotgunning the first Vulcan to set foot on Earth, he could have welcomed him peacefully and entered into a peaceful, democratic version of the Federation with the Vulcans, eventually welcoming other alien races into the alliance.

Sounds good. The problem is that I don't see how you could depict a utopian Federation like that without the show being boring. I think that OTL Star Trek is important and significant because it serves as a great warning to us and has inspired us (and hopefully future generations) to avoid the horrible possibilities that could await us if humanity doesn't eventually get its act together. Technology alone won't improve humanity, we need to improve ourselves so that we'll be responsible enough to use that technology for good and not evil.

Well why would they be even treking if there wasn't a dystopian earth to flee from? Hell, when you look at it in the grnad scheme of things, the show's less about the Enterprize conquering aliens, then it is about Captain Jameson's stuggle to morally justify killing innocent refugees fleeing the federation. After, all, Isn't that his main mission? Isn't that why he's in unexplored space? The put an end to the Star Trek? You take that away, and you don't even have a show! Hell, the whole reason Star Trek's even popular is because it was such a great departure from the childish campy affair that SciFi had been up to that point. Have you people ever even seen Buck Rogers? or Flash Gorden? Do you really want crap like that?

Do you play on GiTP? A game I'm in just had the creation of Star Trek, where a racist and imperialistic Human Empire dominates a mostly peaceful galaxy, with Roddenberry drawing heavily upon his experiences in WWIII to set the tone.
OOC: WWIII? I take it that nukes don't exist in TTL? Because otherwise WWIII would be impossible.

Blake's 7

People have obviously forgotten Blake's 7 where the Federation was good to the point of being boring (unlike Star Trek's deliciously evil Federation) and there was no conflict between the bridge crew except for some good natured bantering (unlike Star Trek where they were constantly bickering and plotting against each other). And the farewell episode was all touchy feeling unlike the dark finale of Star Trek where they killed off everyone, an episode written by Roddenberry himself in a fit of rage at being cancelled.

Hm... I've never heard of Blake's 7. Sounds boring. I guess that does illustrate how boring a utopian Star Trek might be.

Oh, another good thing about Star Trek is its supposed influence on Star Wars. I heard a rumor that George Lucas was going to start off by filming the last 3 movies first (i.e. the lighter-toned movies in which the galaxy gets saved from the Empire), but he decided on filming the first 3 movies (the ones about the rise of the Empire and history of Darth Vader) because Star Trek showed him, as I said in my earlier post, that you need to see the problem before you have the solution.

And I think Star Wars ended up being better off for it. Sure, the first three movies are dark, but filming it in sequence makes so much more sense than filming Episodes IV-VI first. I mean, the progression through the films looks more natural because the quality of the special effects get better over time. And when the last three movies were filmed in the '90s, it was well worth the wait.

OOC: I've seriously never heard of Blake's 7 before, but it sound awesome! :D

Hm... I've never heard of Blake's 7. Sounds boring. I guess that does illustrate how boring a utopian Star Trek might be.

Oh, another good thing about Star Trek is its supposed influence on Star Wars. I heard a rumor that George Lucas was going to start off by filming the last 3 movies first (i.e. the lighter-toned movies in which the galaxy gets saved from the Empire), but he decided on filming the first 3 movies (the ones about the rise of the Empire and history of Darth Vader) because Star Trek showed him, as I said in my earlier post, that you need to see the problem before you have the solution.

And I think Star Wars ended up being better off for it. Sure, the first three movies are dark, but filming it in sequence makes so much more sense than filming Episodes IV-VI first. I mean, the progression through the films looks more natural because the quality of the special effects get better over time. And when the last three movies were filmed in the '90s, it was well worth the wait.

You raise an interesting point. Star Trek certainly had a great influence upon the course of science fiction. It seems that every year a new show is released exploring the same themes of hopelessness, tyranny, xenophobia, ect. that were so common on ST.

So I'd imagine that a utopian-Trek series would have the opposite effect.

I also wonder what sort of movies a utopian Trek-verse would produce? I mean, Star Trek: The Motion Picture pushed the limits of what contemporary audiences were willing to tolerate, in terms of showing such wretchedness throughout the film, coupled with the shockingly bleak ending. And the movie series kept going downhill from there...

Okay, I hate to give the obvious answer, but...

Remember that episode, "Mirror, Mirror"? That's the episode with the parallel universe where everyone and everything was basically the opposite of how it was in the Star Trek universe.

People mainly remember that episode for how Spock, usually sporting that iconic black beard of his, was clean-shaven. (In fact, it's become a cliche in television and movies to depict the "good twin" of an evil character by taking away their beard.) But beyond that, it's a really significant episode. If the regular canon of Star Trek, with the xenophobic human-dominated Federation indiscriminately conquering and subjugating alien races, was the problem, then the parallel universe of "Mirror, Mirror" was the solution. Instead of Zefram Cochrane shotgunning the first Vulcan to set foot on Earth, he could have welcomed him peacefully and entered into a peaceful, democratic version of the Federation with the Vulcans, eventually welcoming other alien races into the alliance.

Sounds good. The problem is that I don't see how you could depict a utopian Federation like that without the show being boring. I think that OTL Star Trek is important and significant because it serves as a great warning to us and has inspired us (and hopefully future generations) to avoid the horrible possibilities that could await us if humanity doesn't eventually get its act together. Technology alone won't improve humanity, we need to improve ourselves so that we'll be responsible enough to use that technology for good and not evil.

In Star Trek: Terok Nor they returned to the Mirror universe for a couple of episodes. In those they showed that not everything was a peaceful utopia. In particular, they showed the Federation fighting the Dominium War and also facing invasion from the Borg, who were portrayed very differently from the pacifist philosophers shown in other episodes.

Cheers,
Nigel.

In Star Trek: Terok Nor they returned to the Mirror universe for a couple of episodes. In those they showed that not everything was a peaceful utopia. In particular, they showed the Federation fighting the Dominium War and also facing invasion from the Borg, who were portrayed very differently from the pacifist philosophers shown in other episodes.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Yeah, the Borg definitely got their legs under them pretty quickly. Still, I think that's to be expected from such an industrial nation. The Borg in the war weren't particularly skilled at tactics or strategy, if I remember correctly, but they were so successful and vicious because they had so many more ships than the opposition, and the didn't flinch to sacrifice them. It reminds me of the American Civil War, when Grant realized that the Union could lose 2 men for every Confederate they killed, and still win.

Yeah, the Borg definitely got their legs under them pretty quickly. Still, I think that's to be expected from such an industrial nation. The Borg in the war weren't particularly skilled at tactics or strategy, if I remember correctly, but they were so successful and vicious because they had so many more ships than the opposition, and the didn't flinch to sacrifice them. It reminds me of the American Civil War, when Grant realized that the Union could lose 2 men for every Confederate they killed, and still win.

Yep, that was a good story arc. Remember the scene in the first episode where the Empire captures their leader Locutus and demand that he surrender ? He just looked at Captain Riker and said, "We are the Borg. We will not be assimilated. Resistance is never futile".

Cheers,
Nigel.

I guess the pessimissim of the show is why its' largely overshadowed by Star Wars and Doctor Who. But it's still got classic characters such as Data, the illogical and violent android. Who's seen the new film, which deals with the Enteprise trying to destroy Vulcan and the plight of a Romulan to stop them?

I think the main problem with a utopian star trek is it just wouldn;t have got on air, as it was episodes showing the occupation of romulus after its defeat in the earth-romulan war were cut to ribbons by the censors.
I think they cut too close to the US's occupation of Hanoi and the Warzsaw pact and NATO forces in beijing ''restoring order'' in different part of china after the sino-soviet war.
If you can find the banned secnes from one of the romulus episodes whose name escapes me, the fanatical tal-shia resistance is pretty much a carbon copy of the red guards guerillas, and that image of riker head in hands sanctioning the use of orbital weapons on romulan villages is frankly haunting.

OOC: AFAIK OTL canon has a WWIII thrown in somewhere.

Like many I feel the main obstacle is the lack of historical realism. In the mirror universe there is a full scale nuclear war, from the ashes of which the federation rises, this just doesn;t seem realistic. The series of limited nuclear exchanges and smaller wars that dominated the last 50 years just mean this whole scenario is ASB.

Star Trek was and hopefully still is all about real human beings but in terrible situations. Not comic book book upstanding citizens as shown in the mirrror universe or the cackling maniacal evil do-ers all to popular in much western science fiction
As other posters have said the main problem it would completely mess with the story arc since it would change the q continuums judgement that humanity is unworthy to survive culminating in the famously dark final episode.

I also wonder what sort of movies a utopian Trek-verse would produce? I mean, Star Trek: The Motion Picture pushed the limits of what contemporary audiences were willing to tolerate, in terms of showing such wretchedness throughout the film, coupled with the shockingly bleak ending. And the movie series kept going downhill from there...

I think the sheer bleakness of the star trek movie franchise meant such movies only appealed to a dedicated trekkie fanbase. And your right they only got worse, wrath of khan where the formerly imprisoned genetically engineered philospher attempts to destroy the federations genesis weapons project was at least watchable, and you do get to see a brief spark of humanity in kirk as he openly breaks down weeping at spocks death. An element explored in later films like search for spock and generations in which kirk ultimately fails to find any redemption for the hcoices he has made in life. I guess generations picked up in terms of the effect of a positve utopian element like the nexus on picard, a storyline used to great effect when chronicling picards dissilusionment with his role and later dissertion but too many of the later movies like inssurection and nemesis returned to the endless negativity of the earlier movies, and they weren;t particularly well done either. The less said about the recent darker ATL re-imagining of kirk the better.

Anyways i think it would take a major POD to shift this. Discounting the comic book utopias of babylon 5 or escapist games like 40K:Dawn of Peace. Most serious utopian science fiction in OTL develops from the rebirth of the genre in russia after censorship laws were relaxed under gorbachev.

I think the sheer bleakness of the star trek movie franchise meant such movies only appealed to a dedicated trekkie fanbase. And your right they only got worse, wrath of khan where the formerly imprisoned genetically engineered philospher attempts to destroy the federations genesis weapons project was at least watchable, and you do get to see a brief spark of humanity in kirk as he openly breaks down weeping at spocks death. An element explored in later films like search for spock and generations in which kirk ultimately fails to find any redemption for the hcoices he has made in life.

Yes, I remember the sheer melancholy of the final scene in "The Search for Spock" where Kirk turns to McKoy and says, "Damm! We couldn't find him."

Cheers,
Nigel.

Yes, I remember the sheer melancholy of the final scene in "The Search for Spock" where Kirk turns to McKoy and says, "Damm! We couldn't find him."

Cheers,
Nigel.

Lol

Well that would work, if it turned out that spocks genetic material held the key to rebuilding the genesis weapons program you wouldn;t want a dystopian federation getting its hands on him.

Well that would work, if it turned out that spocks genetic material held the key to rebuilding the genesis weapons program you wouldn;t want a dystopian federation getting its hands on him.

Yeah, well I guess that a more optimistic Star Trek would invent some double-talk way of bringing him back to life. After that, they'd probably go back in time to try and save the whales, or something equally ridiculous. At that point, all but the most die-hard fans would give up in disgust.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Got to admit that Star Trek is too dark to me; although its ideas of a world run by a terrifying dictatorship using technology to "Federate" the Galaxy is fascinating.

These days, I tend towards Polity 40K (wickedly complex idea of an entire galaxy of civilizations struggling to deal with endless piracy from the Tau and with a motley collection of negotiations, small-scale fighting, and difficult resource management.)

I also find Hearts of Galactica (Too Soapesque attempt of robotic Cylons to become human) to have interesting ideas, but it often winds up as oddball sex fantasties--woah! That said, the spectacle of seeing things like the Cylons concealing their red stripes to appear more human is thought provoking.

Finally, I like GodMechs, for its warlordesque and very accurate portrayal of a culture of the year 3,000. No large nations, every man an adventurer, and a frankly amazing portrayal of the Inner Sphere as a staggering multitude of nations and ideologies, and with ideas of culture that seem somewhat disturbing and fascinating--people cloning themselves as a "insurance policy" against untimely death? Warp Drive is as easy to pay for as buying a car? And EVERYONE has a personal armorsuit that can litterally aspire to be a "GodMech?" Amazing.

If Star Trek were Utopian, I'd be much more interested in it, but I'll stick to Polity 40K and GodMechs.