If Fritz has no sons and dies before his and Christian’s older brother, then Christian becomes his heir since the ducal titles were strictly agnatic under normal circumstances. With Frederick having a son ttl, I don’t expect anyone to want to change this here, since Christian isn’t really considered a possible heir here
Not a lot before the 20th century, it would mostly mean a few lost matches and you getting a lot of hard work looking at the effects.
At current time I have no plans to go to 1900. So that part is fine. Although I am curious about the hard work? Frederik VII has a son and heir (potentially more than one son if that isn't ASB). Ergo Christian IX and the Hessians won't be any closer to the throne than they were in 1848. In fact, the argument could be made they're further from Denmark's, but courtesy of the death of Friedrich Wilhelm, Elector of Hesse, before his dad, they rocketed up the Hessian sweepstakes so that Christian IX is now son-in-law (since 1847) to the new Hessian elector.
I don’t think so. Their marriages have been considered lawful for over 20 years and approved by the former king

Yes, but it would not necessary have a lot of effect on anything. But I lean toward Christian VIII not doing it. The Dannebskiold-Samsøe is a bastard sideline of the House of Oldenburg and had very specific privileges including being the only Danish noble house being called excellency (which is a honoric used for head of state or important public officials), and the house had intermarried with the Augustenburg's before and the Christian VIII's wife was descendent from the house (paternal grandfather's mother). They were clearly distinct from other noble house and they had been recognized as non-morgananic in the past and Christian IX's paternal grandmother had a lower position than the House of Danneskiold-Samsøe, and the House of Glücksburg was far closer to glorified nobles than royalty, so Christian VIII removing the Augustenburg's succession right over them marrying the highest Danish nobility and let the Glücksburg inherite while they have married mid level German nobles will look illegitime. Unless Christian VIII plan for his Hessian cousin to succeed the Oldenburgs, he pretty much have to recognize these marriages to be non-morganatic.
Marriages stay equal then. May have to come up some convenient deaths for the Augustenborg though. After all I pruned practically the entire branch of Darmstadt and Battenberg in the last war...

@Fehérvári @Tibi088 I was wondering, per the Wikipedia page on the Serb 1848 Uprising, the Serbs in Austria wanted the same rights as the Croatian had. However, the Hungarians refused to allow this. It doesn't mention what rights in particular they wanted, aside from the fact that Croatia was in the Austrian, not Hungarian part of the empire. So does that mean the Serb regions would then have to pass under direct Austrian control? Or can those rights be granted within the existing framework of the kingdom of Hungary? What would this mean for the Magyars and the Crown of St. Stephen if such (is autonomy the right word?) were granted to the Serbs? Could the Habsburgs bait the hook and say to the Serbs "hey, I'll give you those rights you want if you help me beat those pesky Magyar revolutionaries back"? Or would this be one of those quick solutions that end up causing more problems than its worth down the road?

At current time I have no plans to go to 1900. So that part is fine. Although I am curious about the hard work? Frederik VII has a son and heir (potentially more than one son if that isn't ASB). Ergo Christian IX and the Hessians won't be any closer to the throne than they were in 1848. In fact, the argument could be made they're further from Denmark's, but courtesy of the death of Friedrich Wilhelm, Elector of Hesse, before his dad, they rocketed up the Hessian sweepstakes so that Christian IX is now son-in-law (since 1847) to the new Hessian elector.

Marriages stay equal then. May have to come up some convenient deaths for the Augustenborg though. After all I pruned practically the entire branch of Darmstadt and Battenberg in the last war...
What is the name of that war,anyway? I propose The War of the French Succession.

What is the name of that war,anyway? I propose The War of the French Succession.
Henri and Frankie term the French part a "Fronde" rather than a succession war. Particularly since, for a succession war it has no outside interference (as Prince Albert notes). The contemporary French historians might call it the Restauration War or the French Civil War, but I could see War of the French Succession being used by an Orléanist historian like Guizot.

As for the German part... maybe the Austro-Prussian War? After the main parties involved. Bruderkrieg might be another informal name used by the United Germany enthusiasts.

@Fehérvári @Tibi088 I was wondering, per the Wikipedia page on the Serb 1848 Uprising, the Serbs in Austria wanted the same rights as the Croatian had. However, the Hungarians refused to allow this. It doesn't mention what rights in particular they wanted, aside from the fact that Croatia was in the Austrian, not Hungarian part of the empire. So does that mean the Serb regions would then have to pass under direct Austrian control? Or can those rights be granted within the existing framework of the kingdom of Hungary? What would this mean for the Magyars and the Crown of St. Stephen if such (is autonomy the right word?) were granted to the Serbs? Could the Habsburgs bait the hook and say to the Serbs "hey, I'll give you those rights you want if you help me beat those pesky Magyar revolutionaries back"? Or would this be one of those quick solutions that end up causing more problems than its worth down the road?
The situation was very complicated. AFAIK the following administrativ division / units existed in the area before 1848:
1. Croatia: Was nominally under the hungarian crown but had its own pairlament and did not send representatives to the hungarian pairlament
2. Slavonia: they too were mostly croatians and part of the Kingdom of Hungary but they sent representatives to the hungarian pairlament
3. Military frontier: depending on the area croatians or serbians mostly. They were not officially part of the Kingdom of Hungary as they have never been reintegrated into the Kingdom after their reconquests. This reintegration was a constant demand of the hungarian nobility already in the 18th century and this continued in the 19th century.

AFAIK the serbs wanted the creation of an autonom province, first inside Hungary but after talks with the hungarian leadership failed (zero chance of them succeding OTL) under Vienna.
Croatia under Jellacic wanted to get out from under the kigdom of Hungary and after uniting Croatia, Slavonia, Fiume (which was directly under Hungary for reasons) and Dalmacia (which was under Austria) and a yet to be created serbian province to form an Illyrian Kingdom.

Vienna did use the serbs and other national minorities and gave them promises if they rise up against the hungarians - which it failed to fullfill later.

Croatia under Jellacic wanted to get out from under the kigdom of Hungary and after uniting Croatia, Slavonia, Fiume (which was directly under Hungary for reasons) and Dalmacia (which was under Austria) and a yet to be created serbian province to form an Illyrian Kingdom.
what would the chances of the cards being shuffled to create said Illyrian kingdom (or at least floating the idea)? And what would be the consequences down the road?

what would the chances of the cards being shuffled to create said Illyrian kingdom (or at least floating the idea)? And what would be the consequences down the road?

Hello lads !,

so as much as I adore this plan ( especially the convinced trialist existing in me ) I could see two main problems one will obviously be the Hungarian radicals very hostile to this weakening or cutting of lands forming part of the crown of St. Stephen, the other will be the Bohemians that Otl were the real thorn in the side of the Habsburgs ( second only to the Magyars) that they will push for a similar agreement or recognition for them ( perhaps even with some enlargement, given that some wanted Otl Slovakia to be annexed to the kingdom of Bohemia as a condition for accepting trialism )
perhaps to give more weight to this third kingdom, Frankie and Franzi can take advantage of the chaos that ATL 1848 can cause in the Balkan possessions of the Ottomans to take the north of Bosnia, encouraging the Ottoman Catholics (mainly Croats and Albanians) to settle there, so as to increase the resident population

From what I understand very bad. Not because of the Hungarians but because the Habsburgs did not want it either - their goal was to create a centralized absolutist monarchy, not to create a number of autonomous provinces (again OTL they did just this ignoring all the promises they made to the national minorities of Hungary - I really like how Kossuth described it: Their reward was what was the punishment of the hungarians). OTOH from what I understand Jellasic was willing to make compromises if he got what he wanted. So maybe an agreement can be reached with uniting Croatia and Slavonia, maybe Dalmacia and Fiume and taking out this enlarged Croatia under Hungary and placing it directly under Austria, with promises or at least no contradiction of a later Illyrian development.

However I have very serious doubts about the venture even if it succeded. It would be consisting of a natiolistic croatia with an existing upper class and a numerically and monetarily much superior to the serbian element.

Hello lads !,

so as much as I adore this plan ( especially the convinced trialist existing in me ) I could see two main problems one will obviously be the Hungarian radicals very hostile to this weakening or cutting of lands forming part of the crown of St. Stephen, the other will be the Bohemians that Otl were the real thorn in the side of the Habsburgs ( second only to the Magyars) that they will push for a similar agreement or recognition for them ( perhaps even with some enlargement, given that some wanted Otl Slovakia to be annexed to the kingdom of Bohemia as a condition for accepting trialism )
perhaps to give more weight to this third kingdom, Frankie and Franzi can take advantage of the chaos that ATL 1848 can cause in the Balkan possessions of the Ottomans to take the north of Bosnia, encouraging the Ottoman Catholics (mainly Croats and Albanians) to settle there, so as to increase the resident population
I love 19th century bohemian nationalism: They absolutely refuse to give up an ounce of their anchestral territory because it has been historically theirs and did not care that about a 1/3 of the populace was german while at the same time demanded to ignore hungarian claims of historical borders and wanted to annex the area populated by slovakians on the national principle....

From what I understand very bad. Not because of the Hungarians but because the Habsburgs did not want it either - their goal was to create a centralized absolutist monarchy, not to create a number of autonomous provinces (again OTL they did just this ignoring all the promises they made to the national minorities of Hungary - I really like how Kossuth described it: Their reward was what was the punishment of the hungarians). OTOH from what I understand Jellasic was willing to make compromises if he got what he wanted. So maybe an agreement can be reached with uniting Croatia and Slavonia, maybe Dalmacia and Fiume and taking out this enlarged Croatia under Hungary and placing it directly under Austria, with promises or at least no contradiction of a later Illyrian development.

However I have very serious doubts about the venture even if it succeded. It would be consisting of a natiolistic croatia with an existing upper class and a numerically and monetarily much superior to the serbian element.

I love 19th century bohemian nationalism: They absolutely refuse to give up an ounce of their anchestral territory because it has been historically theirs and did not care that about a 1/3 of the populace was german while at the same time demanded to ignore hungarian claims of historical borders and wanted to annex the area populated by slovakians on the national principle....

for Hungarian claims, the Bohemians were absolutely indifferent, but it must also be said that the Slovaks were surrounded by those who saw them as Slavicized mountain Magyars and those who instead saw them as Bohemians with a bizarre dialect, the funny thing is that even the Hungarians had a higher percentage of Germans , mainly in the Banat but at least they recognized it

maybe Dalmacia and Fiume
the Hungarians won't be happy, since, AIUI, they wanted a Hungarian navy based out of Fiume/Ragusa (which was Hungary's only port at that point IIRC)

wonder if we could see the Prague Spring being a "bigger" thing here. After all, Frankie's been devoting a lot of time and energy to Hungary (and trying to keep the Hungarians happy and productive) but maybe not so much in Bohemia?

ATL 1848 can cause in the Balkan possessions of the Ottomans to take the north of Bosnia, encouraging the Ottoman Catholics (mainly Croats and Albanians) to settle there, so as to increase the resident population
would this be a good idea? Mean, last thing you want is the Ottomans to be getting rid of Catholic radicals in (insert region) by exporting them to Austria

the Hungarians won't be happy, since, AIUI, they wanted a Hungarian navy based out of Fiume/Ragusa (which was Hungary's only port at that point IIRC)

wonder if we could see the Prague Spring being a "bigger" thing here. After all, Frankie's been devoting a lot of time and energy to Hungary (and trying to keep the Hungarians happy and productive) but maybe not so much in Bohemia?

would this be a good idea? Mean, last thing you want is the Ottomans to be getting rid of Catholic radicals in (insert region) by exporting them to Austria

oh a Prague spring would be great especially as Otl Bohemia had remained loyal to the imperial family when they were forced to flee Vienna ( whereas at least 1/3 of the entire nobility of the empire was of Bohemian origin or had territories )
as for the radical Ottomans ( I don't think the Albanians were a concern, they were more dangerous to the state than Serbian ambitions and to a greater extent Greek ) for the Croatians instead it would be a stronger hand to convince Vienna to create a kingdom of Illyria ( certainly for the Serbs it will not put itself in perspective, if an ultra-nationalistic elite rises to the government of said kingdom )

Last edited:
Carving out a serbian province from Hungary would have been a much bigger bugbear than anything with Croatia or Fiume. Also the point of Fiume was really that they wanted to develope it as a trade port of their own. Again it was admnistrativly a part of Hungary AFAIK as it was gifted to Hungary by Marie Theresa and thus not a part of Croatia. in regards of Croatia I even read that the hungarian pairlament offered full independence for Croatia in late of August 1848 as a last ditch effort to avoid hostilities.

Another important factor is that hungarian revolutioneries and reformers before 1848 have been very naive in regards of the minority question. They believed that granting the same and equal civil rights to any denizen of the country and ending feudalism and serfdom with a land reform would solve any possible problem. Some - especially Kossuth - was later sympathetic to requests of group rights (AFAIK Kossuth has even reached an agreement with the leaders of the romanian uprising in Transylvania during the revolution but the local hungarian agents absolutely sabotaged it. Than there were his later plans for a Danube Confederation - to which the reaction in Hungary was: "We would sooner go to Vienna") but the majority was firmly against this.

@Fehérvári my apologies if I've made the Hungarians sound bad in the Bonaparte polemic. But in their defense, this is a hard-sell to a buyer who isn't really interested (even OTL, I can't find that Obrenović was actually active/involved on either side - compared with Karađorđević and some of his ministers who seem to have been in favour of Kossuth).
Don't worry about it. It's your story, after all. I personally have a strong dislike towards Kossuth anyway.
On another note, didn't you swap Deák to Szemere as Kossuth's sidekick?
Croatia being under the Austrian part is already a rather questionable statement, considering how Croatia was subject to the Hungarian Chancellery and Croatian delegates attended the Hungarian Diet. It was actually the Serb Military Frontier that was under direct Court control (because it was under military, not civil administration). AFAIK the Serbs were fighting mostly to prevent the Military Frontier from being abolished and also to get the Banat of Temeschwar restored (with them being in charge to some degree).
Or can those rights be granted within the existing framework of the kingdom of Hungary? What would this mean for the Magyars and the Crown of St. Stephen if such (is autonomy the right word?) were granted to the Serbs? Could the Habsburgs bait the hook and say to the Serbs "hey, I'll give you those rights you want if you help me beat those pesky Magyar revolutionaries back"? Or would this be one of those quick solutions that end up causing more problems than its worth down the road?
The restoration of the Banat of Temeschwar (with the addition of Bács-Bodrog county) within the Lands of the Holy Crown might ruffle the least feathers, but I'm not sure how satisfied the Serb would be with that, since the area was extremely diverse and they could probably still get relegated to being only third in relevance, after the Germans and Magyars.
On another note, the Serbs also had beef with the Croats, since both of them wanted "Croatian-Slavonian" sections of the Military Frontier to themselves.

As such, I would say appeasing the Serbs in a territorial manner is simply not worth it. Maximising official language recognition and usage rights within counties and between counties and government is probably the most optimal way to deal with the issue. Here, the greatest challenge is the proper enforcement.

1. Croatia: Was nominally under the hungarian crown but had its own pairlament and did not send representatives to the hungarian pairlament
Croatia Proper didn't send representatives, only Slavonia? AFAIK both Croatia and Slavonia sent two each to the Lower Table, while the Upper Table was freely attended by the Croatian and Slavonian aristocracy and high clergy.

Croatia Proper didn't send representatives, only Slavonia? AFAIK both Croatia and Slavonia sent two each to the Lower Table, while the Upper Table was freely attended by the Croatian and Slavonian aristocracy and high clergy.
This was a pretty old memory of mine but from what I found it seems correct - though I was not precize enough describing it here.
What I remembered was that the Slavonian county's (Verőcze, Szerém and Pozsega) were sending elected representatves to the Lower Table just like all the rest of the Hungarian countys. The Croatian counties were not - Croatia was represented but the individual counties not. I remembered this from a lecture in university.

Finding anything substantiating it was not easy, but I found the following document online:
This is a political analysis of the 1832-36 pairlament based mostly on austrian secret police reports. On the 3rd page (or 86 page) in footnote 8 the author lists all the representatives of the Slavonian counties and the representatives of Croatia:
"Szerém megyét Poszavecz Zsigmond és Bossányi József, Pozsegát Markovics András és Farkas Sándor, Verőcét Szallopek János és Hegedüs Pál képviselte. Hegedüst és Farkast a bal centrumhoz, a többieket a jobboldalhoz sorolták. Horvátország követe, Busán Hermann a jobboldalt erősítette, gróf Draskovich János pedig szélsőjobb minősítést kapott"

@Nuraghe with Papa Bonifacio in instead of Pio (not to mention France having an Orthodox-born queen in waiting), I imagine the different pope will not allow him to send his "blistering" encyclical On The Supremacy of the See of Peter in 1848. This would thus not get the backs of the patriarchs of Constantinople, Alexandra, Antioch and Jerusalem up to issue a reply denouncing the filioque inclusion as "heretical" and condemning the pope as an apostate. FWIG Pio's bull in 1854, Ineffabilis Deus, added another straw to the camel's back (since up to that point, the "issues" were papal primacy, the use of unleavened bread in the Eucharist and the Catholic doctrine of purgatory).

I don't see them healing the Great Schism, but really, just not adding fuel to the fire would be a good thing, no?

@Nuraghe with Papa Bonifacio in instead of Pio (not to mention France having an Orthodox-born queen in waiting), I imagine the different pope will not allow him to send his "blistering" encyclical On The Supremacy of the See of Peter in 1848. This would thus not get the backs of the patriarchs of Constantinople, Alexandra, Antioch and Jerusalem up to issue a reply denouncing the filioque inclusion as "heretical" and condemning the pope as an apostate. FWIG Pio's bull in 1854, Ineffabilis Deus, added another straw to the camel's back (since up to that point, the "issues" were papal primacy, the use of unleavened bread in the Eucharist and the Catholic doctrine of purgatory).

I don't see them healing the Great Schism, but really, just not adding fuel to the fire would be a good thing, no?

yours is a thorny question, you know!, it is true that Bonifacio has a different style from Otl Pio, but like every convinced pontiff he will absolutely have to defend papal primacy ( otherwise he doesn't do it, he risks a very serious backlash in the curia and in the image of his role ) above all with Russia ( which in this historical moment, together with Prussia was ardently suppressing the Catholic Church in its domains (due to the strong association with the Poles and to a lesser extent the Ruthenians ( in their eyes worse than the former, because they were considered apostates due to the their uniate / Byzantine rite ) certainly the tensions could be less ( but since the 4th crusade and even before, the situation between the two churches is very complicated, it would be easier to try to dialogue ( and try to reunite with Rome ) with some branches of Protestantism per absurd ) certainly avoid a declaration of apostasy by the other patriarchs would be good ( but basically for the largest church in the world, what others say doesn't make much difference to its internal issues, it can only create problems abroad, but the papacy it is not new to find successful compromises to incorporate churches with traditions other than the Latin rite such as Otl a amply demonstrated, just think of the papal permission given to Jesuits in the 18th century to have the Catholic rite administered in Chinese ( later suppressed for other reasons ) or all the various Eastern churches included over the centuries ( has starting with the Maronites )

Last edited:
another detail to take into great consideration is that currently in Rome, the foreign faction / power with the most political weight in the curia is Austria (both for the annexation of Piedmont with their ecclesiastical representatives annexed, and also for its satellite states strengthened in the peninsula ( Tuscany and above all Modena ) therefore I don't know how much a future orthodox queen of France ( Kingdom which at the moment is rebuilding itself from a tremendous "civil war" and is only now making timid hints of active foreign policy, see in Switzerland ) could influence the papal attitude towards Russia in the immediate present ( moreover we must also consider the latent French polonophilia, which will eventually make him side with the oppressed Poles )

of course Boniface can always make concessions to the other Catholic powers, but we are in a delicate moment in which the church, even historically, was solidifying / reforming its foundations and extending them abroad ( so I don't see him passively accepting what is happening in Russia, nor regardless of his position ( Pio Otl himself is considered a saint in Poland for his defense of the church against Russian - Prussian aggression ) however I believe that a concordat with Great Britain ( first of all because it is easier ) and then with Russia, they will be seen as a great diplomatic victory for the pope ( also we must not forget the situation in Latin America, which is also very critical ( I have a question Kellan, how are the states of Central America doing: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala,
Honduras, Nicaragua and finally Panama ? )

Last edited:
It’s a Mad World, My Masters[1]
Soundtrack: Dvořák – Symphony no. 1, C Min ‘The Bells of Prague’ - Maestoso - Allegro[2]

*exterior* *Berlin* *a statue of Frederick the Great is ceremonially beheaded* *before a red-gold-black tricolour is unfurled from the now-headless king’s statue*

*exterior* *Paris* *interior of the Elysée, Madame Royal drops a newspaper in the fireplace with a sad look on her face* *as the flames lick at the newspaper, we read that the Prussian monarchy has been declared abolished and a republic declared*

*exterior* *Buda* *a pamphlet is passed out on the street*
V/O by Kossuth: on your feet now, Hungary calls you! Now is the moment, nothing stalls you. Shall we be slaves or men set free? That is the question. Answer me! By all the gods of Hungary we hereby swear that we no more the yoke of Habsburg slavery shall wear-[3]
*the passerby shoves the pamphlet in their pocket without reading further*

*exterior* *Frankfurt* *Emperor Ferdinand- in the presence of his brother and nephew, Archdukes Stephan and Joseph, Albrecht of Teschen- signs a document that a chamberlain-dressed Frankie sets in front of him* *we pan to see the side of the “stage” where Frankie came from and see that there are several men in civilian dress – some of whom we recognize from meeting Franzi’s train in the Chapter “Bowl of Spaghetti” standing there* *they seem to relax once Ferdinand has signed*
*pan out to the audience- as though this is a theatre- and we see a stony-faced Wilhelm of Prussia seated alongside a scowling Ernst August of Hannover* *to their credit, even the “liberal” Grand Duke of Baden looks pensive*

*exterior* *Berlin* *we see a newspaper vendor selling papers announcing that “Für Reich und Verfassung[4]” and Die Gerechtigkeit des Reich[5]*

*exterior* *Frankfurt* *we see Frankie – in ordinary clothes – walking with a uniform-wearing Franzi, Prince Wilhelm and Ernst August*
Ernst August: no good will come of it, your Serene Highness. Giving the mob what they want. Like a constitution. It never ends well.
Frankie: of course it never ends well, Majesty. But we need time. And time is one thing we do not have a lot of.
Ernst August: but you cannot retract it when it is no longer required.
Franzi: your Majesty did in Hannover in 1837 with little ill effect.
Frankie: some coffeehouse liberals in London, Paris and Buda I’m sure would beg to differ. *to Ernst August* however, your Majesty is quite right. A constitution is not some play thing.
Wilhelm: scrap of rubbish is what it is.
Frankie: and yet a scrap of rubbish that may have saved your brother’s throne, sir. He baited the bear, and he lost.
Wilhelm: you would not help him?
Frankie: I call his Imperial Highness and Prince Schwarzenberg even God as my witnesses that I did try to help him. Sadly, each time I was refused-
Wilhelm: *looks about to interrupt*
Frankie: and what can I do when your Royal Highness remains here rather than return to Berlin? To rally the troops? Defend your brother? I could make a…rather uncharitable comparison to my own uncles if I did not know your Royal Highness better.
Wilhelm: my brother is a fool.
Frankie: and he will meet a fool’s end if your Royal Highness does not go against your scruples.
Wilhelm: the crown is his by God’s hand alone, your Serene Highness.
Frankie: well, I would hate to think what that says for God’s judgement, sir, that he was allowed to be pulled down so.
Wilhelm: *shifts uncomfortably*
Frankie: I have every sympathy for your nephew dying, your Royal Highness…him diving into the Rhine to rescue those men when no one else would was commendable. Heroic even. He saved what was it, five of those men?
Franzi: seven.
Frankie: *sadly* seven boatmen…swept off by the current when he was returning for the eighth[6]. Your wife and her sister have my condolences…no person should have to bury their child. While I understand that it by no means will replace him, the emperor has agreed to name him to posthumously name him to the Order of the Golden Fleece for it-
Wilhelm: but he’s a Protestant.
Franzi: the order’s statutes technically has no limits on religion. It simply states that he may not be a “lapsed heretic”. And, assuming there was no impediment to him being a part of the church, we saw no reason that he could not be named. *aw shucks grin* if such an impediment exists however, we are going to be- *looks at Frankie* what’s that saying that Maxi uses? Up a river with no oar?
Frankie: *nods* to return to the matter of your Royal Highness’ brother…while I do not deny that the crown was given to him by God, my father stands as proof that being gifted a crown from the gutter is no more of an assurance. *to Franzi* remind me again what the Council of Constance decided on Jean Petit’s tyrannicide[7]?
Franzi: *sounds like he’s quoting from memory* that once the tyrant has become the authentic representative of the authority, none can attempt his life.
Ernst August: we are a long way from the Council of Constance
Frankie: *gives a “best I can do” look* it’s not my fault that even after they assassinated Henri IV the Church never updated the rules. I sadly, cannot go back in time…otherwise I would. And smother my father in the crib.
Ernst August: would that not snuff your own life out by doing so?
Frankie: it’s a conundrum, isn’t it. Thank God we only have to worry about trains and steamboats and Herr Marx, not time travel.
Wilhelm: Prussia is not Catholic, sir.
Frankie: no, it is not. And I look forward to a long discussion on life, death and eternity with the Queen of Prussia once she and her husband are safe and sound. Either back in Berlin or here in Frankfurt.
Wilhelm: you don’t mean to recognize this…republic?
*even Ernst August looks aghast*
Frankie: *to Ernst August* your Majesty can no doubt recall how everybody declared they would not recognize the French Republic. And look at what war and bloodshed that caused.
*Ernst August gingerly fingers the scar on his cheek[8]*
Frankie: *to Wilhelm* To quote Metgé’s pamphlet against my father: you French call us slaves when you are so brutalized you do not even realize that you are a hundred times more so than us. In my country, any general who would’ve committed a thousandth of the criticisms with which Bonaparte sullied himself would have paid with his head! Where is the man who, knowing his rights and his dignity, would care to spend his life under a government where none speak of freedom, of equality? What a travesty. Governments know very well that they will be run by imbeciles and cowards if there is no Brutus[9]. *end quote*
Wilhelm: and I am to be Brutus?
Frankie: God no. I am simply illustrating the anarchy that the government will suffer. Now that they have… done away with the crown, they have removed the only thing they could all agree on. So they will spend weeks, if not months or years, trying to decide what form of government they are to have. There will be in-fighting, purges and blood running in the streets of Berlin. I am told there are some who are in favour of a “pure republic” like Monsieur Guizot favours. Others are more in favour of Marx’s more… babouvisme[10] ideas-
Franzi: *deliberately misunderstanding* to call them baboon ideas would be an insult to baboons. *grins*
Frankie: this is our…window, your Royal Highness…that while they are still running around proclaiming their love for one another and willingness to die for one another, we ready ourselves for when they will invariably set upon one another and start tearing one another to pieces.
Wilhelm: you seem rather convinced they will act in such manner?
Frankie: it is the curse of democracy. When you declare everyone equal, inequality itself becomes a crime. The tall are cut down, the small are set up in their place- my father, for instance *smiles* When you replace “by the Grace of God” with “by the will of the people”, one becomes a charlatan who dabbles in all sorts of quackery in order to keep that will on-side. And as a result, what was once a clear pool at the fons honorem becomes little more than a stagnant swamp. I have no desire to see whether there is a Berliner Robespierre or even a Berliner Bonaparte.
Ernst August: *smugly* are you so afraid of competition, your Serene Highness? *its said as a joke, but you can tell the king is worried by the same thought*
Frankie: if he had my father’s ambition, your Majesty would also be terrified.
Wilhelm: then you will act against them?
Frankie: I will not act, sir. I am in no position to act- not even with the new constitution. I am not, nor ever have been, regent in Germany, contrary to the lies Prince Metternich spread. *turns to face Wilhelm* that being said, do not think me remiss that I have not found it rankling that the Berliners would term their *snooty tone* little experiment…the “German Republic” when they have little more than Berlin. I trust your Royal Highness will regard this as a German matter.
Wilhelm: of course, sir *salutes* *clicks heels smartly* *walks off with the king of Hannover*
Frankie: and off they go like a good little clockwork soldiers.
Franzi: speaking of revolutionaries, how do you plan to deal with those in Buda?
Frankie: *walking* do you know what the problem with clockwork soldiers are?
Franzi: they’re not very effective against real soldiers?
Frankie: they need to be wound up. Repeatedly. Kossuth and his ilk are trying a scheme- a very old scheme, mind you- that I suspect will meet the same fate as all the times it has been tried before.
Franzi: to echo Prince Wilhelm, you sound supremely confident.
Frankie: look at what they are trying to do. Their method is not pleasing anyone. To the republicans, that they want a figurehead monarch is anathema. To the monarchists, the idea that they have a monarch in mind who isn’t a Habsburg is likewise repugnant. In their compromise, they neglect one of Werbőczy’s fundamental principles of the Hungarian monarchy, do you know which that is?
Franzi: that the king must be a native born Hungarian.
Frankie: *climbing into carriage* exactly.So, they have selected a two-bit Italian-born bastard to be their fig-leaf. No stretch of legal fiction can claim that Parma was ever part of the Lands of Saint Stephen. There was a reason I never signed his naturalization papers.
Franzi: you knew they would choose him?
Frankie: *as the carriage pulls off* that would make me clairvoyant, so no. I simply refused to sign the papers making him a natural born citizen because I didn’t see the point of it all *sorting through his correspondence*
Franzi: you mean because then you’d have to admit you share a mother?
Frankie: *hands a letter* from Maxi for you.
Franzi: *takes it*
Frankie: and even if I signed the naturalization papers we still wouldn’t share a mother. Since that would imply that I actually had one who wasn’t Aunt Leopoldine or Oma.

*exterior* *Prague* *title card flashes April 17th 1848[11]* *the church bells ring out*
*we see a parade of students and marching down Celetná Street led by priest, Jan Arnold[12]* *Prince Windischgrätz is on horseback at the head of his men watching them advance* *suddenly, a gunshot rings out* *Windischgrätz falls from his horse* *dead[13]*
*the picture “drips” out, like blood dripping* *we hear gunfire in the background*

[1]
[2] This symphony wasn’t written until 1865 (after all, at the time of these events, Dvořák is only 7yo and still living in Nelahozeves)
[3] Except for one word, the text of Sandór Petőfi’s Nemzeti Dal (the “Hungarian Marseillaise of 1848”. Narrated here by Kossuth because otherwise I’d have to explain who Petőfi is. I'm not sure how naturalization laws in the kingdom of Hungary worked, but @Fehérvári @Tibi088 I figured that Werbőczy's legal argument for a "native born" king could be used to exclude Montenuovo. The Habsburgs- by my interpretation of Werbőczy's argument- despite being "foreigners" fall under the argument that if "children of the king are not native to the country, who is?" Also, AFAIK, Hungary elected dynasties not individuals. Which would mean that any (male-line?) descendant of Maria Theresia (or Ferdinand I before her) was "Hungarian"
[4] For the Empire and the Constitution
[5] The Justice of the Reich
[6] The nephew, Prince Karl of Prussia (son of the late Prince Karl and Marie of Weimar) was awarded the Rettungsmedaille for doing this OTL. TTL, he gets caught in the current and drowns.
[7] The murderer of the duc d’Orléans (brother of Charles VI) who claimed justification as tyrannicide not regicide (which was deemed as a sin by the church)
[8] Sustained during a cavalry charge during the Flanders Campaign in 1794/1795
[9] From Bernard Metgé’s Le Turc et le Militaire Français (1800)
[10] François Noël ‘Gracchus’ Babeuf, French Revolutionary journalist. Originally, in English, the first communists were termed “Disciples of Babeuf”. Babeuf’s own maxim that “Society must be made to operate in such a way that it eradicates once and for all the desire of a man to become richer, or wiser, or more powerful than others” sounds eerily like proto-Marxism.
[11] The day after Palm Sunday 1848. The day that will give the 1848 in Prague the nickname of “Prague Easter” or (in Czech) Velikonoční povstání (the Easter Rising)
[12] Brother of radical, Emanuel Arnold
[13] OTL, it was Windischgrätz’s wife who was killed by an accidental shot

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Zygmunt Stary @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell @nathanael1234 @Fehérvári @Guatemalan Nat-Synd @Valena @maw @LordMartinax @EmmettMcFly55 @Sarthak @Nuraghe @renard_ @JustinTexas @monteirobert @Nightbrainzzz @KingRevolt @Project98 @Andristan @CountofDooku