French Falklands

erm, not a thread about a different fate for the islands themselves.

But! I was wondering; it's the early to mid 80's. France has all sorts of island posessions all over the globe.

What if, in the 1980-86 timeframe, a 2nd world nation grabs some french owned islands. This is mostly a "bang bang shoot shoot" WI, as mostly I want to see the french navy sent to kick some ass around the world. They have flattops, they have amphibious assault capabilities. The question is- where do they use them? Sorry for not providing more details, but the burst of falklands threads got me thinking....

Linkwerk said:
erm, not a thread about a different fate for the islands themselves.

But! I was wondering; it's the early to mid 80's. France has all sorts of island posessions all over the globe.

What if, in the 1980-86 timeframe, a 2nd world nation grabs some french owned islands. This is mostly a "bang bang shoot shoot" WI, as mostly I want to see the french navy sent to kick some ass around the world. They have flattops, they have amphibious assault capabilities. The question is- where do they use them? Sorry for not providing more details, but the burst of falklands threads got me thinking....

The French have loads of island possessions in the Pacific. However, with the exception of Tahiti and a few other islands, who will exactly miss them if they were invaded? Tahiti is an interesting case where, much like Hawaii, the islands are a French province. So anybody invading Tahiti would be, technically, invading France itself.

I think almost all French overseas territories are provinces.

What about Reunion in the Indian Ocean? South Africa and India are possible invaders. India would probably offer most resistance, they had a carrier at the time, not sure what kind of aircraft it used at the time. France had two carriers, Clemancau and Foch, and the helicopter carrier Jeanne D'Arc.

Since India is pretty far away I'm pretty sure France would retake the island pretty fast.

Id say the Legion goes in and quickly tidies up things. That would be interesting if there was a fight in the Indian Ocean with India. French Navy could probably handle them as French carriers are more powerful and robust than India's British hand me downs. French subs are better too. As to the other surface vessels, the French arguably have the superior gear too.