Gipper Falls: An Alternate 80s and Beyond

Hey guys!

Writing a timeline to me always seemed extremely difficult, with myself needing quite a bit of knowledge about many things to make a truly realistic experience. But I've decided to take a crack at it, because why not?

Before I get started, though:

1. I am absolutely taking inspiration from @President_Lincoln's "Blue Skies in Camelot" timeline. It is easily the best written timeline I have ever read, and I cannot wait for the next update. I'm using his trademark song title format for every chapter, along with, obviously, the name. I know it's similar. That's the point.

2. I've never written one of these before, and I don't know nearly as much about history as some of you on this site do, so any feedback is absolutely welcome. I'd love to make any improvements in order to make this as fun but also as realistic as I can get.

3. I'm in college, so that should tell you guys just how much free time I have on the table. But I've always wanted to write a timeline of my own, and I think now is as good a time as any to start.

Thanks guys! I hope I can keep up with this as much as I want to, and I hope this can be something fun to take up my free time.

Gipper Falls: An Alternate 80s and Beyond

Chapter 1
Gipper Falls
An Alternate 80s and Beyond

Chapter 1: Hit Me With Your Best Shot

atFhIAJpbA_-RI5SQX-ubaMfXhkuoJ5URvTHGerRVLT-cP-Pa0pRrtTI26QrKZ9Vp5TXhEPS-J8SAcW_sFUnu_hcaAlTFWBU-W7XPrdua4L20jOWU2oI81U8OHPOJW89_uGEqV1vVGJkn2xvRsccrLanRUOUy7oXqEhHn9FQN35lPo3R4OPattAbGA

John Lennon in 1980 was a shell of his former self, some would say. His wife, Yoko Ono, gave birth to their only child together in October of 1975, which began a 5 year long musical hiatus for Lennon.

But things were starting to turn around for John toward the end of the year. In October, he released (Just Like) Starting Over, which had been sitting inside the Billboard top 10 for a couple months by December. He also spent the last couple months recording an album with his spouse, titled Double Fantasy, which was released a little less than a month ago.

The day of December 8 started out like any other. John woke up next to his wife of 11 years under a blue sky and white clouds in an unusually warm New York City. A busy schedule was ahead for the Lennons. A haircut, a photo shoot, an interview, a recording session, all common things for the former Beatle to have on his schedule.
The couple planned to end their day at the recording studio. Lennon and Ono walked out the doors of their Central Park apartment complex into the warm and quiet December air.

“Where are my fans?”

Almost immediately after the question was posed, a young fan named Mark David Chapman walked in Lennon’s direction, extending a copy of Double Fantasy for Lennon to sign.

“Do you want me to sign that?”

The fan nods in excitement.

As John scrawls “John Lennon 1980” across the cover of his most recent project, he gets an almost eerie chill down his entire body.

Almost like a warning.

John, in his goodwill, gets a photograph with the fan and asks “Is that okay?” with eyebrows raised.

Mark edges away, and the Lennon couple begin their journey to the Record Plant, a new second home for Lennon and Ono recently.

John and Yoko arrived at the recording facility with a determination on their faces, ready to finish a new song, titled “Walking On Thin Ice”.

The Lennons did their thing, and John was ecstatic about the mix.

Leaning into his wife’s ear, Lennon expressed his excitement for the song.

“From now on, we’re just gonna do this. This is great! This is the direction!”

Yoko nodded her head, happy to see her husband excited about creating music again. After all, this was only his first year back in the music business after his hiatus. She was excited to see him this enthusiastic about his creation. The future looked bright in her eyes.

“Let’s put it out before Christmas!”

As the couple left the studio, they ran into Robert “Big Bob” Manuel, the Record Plant’s 6’6” bodyguard. An absolute mountain of a man, to say the least.
The couple, planning to grab a bite to eat, asked Big Bob if he wanted to join them.

Manuel was sick to his stomach, perhaps the result of eating a turkey sandwich a little bit too far past its expiration date for lunch earlier that day. But he knew that this could be a special moment for him. His inner monologue sounded loud in his ear.

“A dinner with John Lennon? You’d have to be a fool to pass this up.”

And so against his better judgment, he agreed.

The couple and Robert stepped out of the Record Plant into the brisk December air. John’s head, with Ono whispering into his ear, begins to nod sympathetically. Like he remembered something important that needed to be done. Something more important than dinner.

“Hey, Bobby?”

“Yeah?”

“You wouldn’t mind stopping back at the Dakota with us, would you? Yoko and I want to say goodnight to little Sean before going out again.”

Manuel, now slightly agitated, but not nearly enough to change his mind for dinner with one of the Beatles, agrees.

The trio stepped into the limousine that was parked outside waiting to take them wherever their heart desired, and they began to make their way back to apartment 72.

It was a little after 10:50 pm when they finally arrived at the Lennons’ apartment complex. Ono stepped out of the vehicle first, swiftly making her way to the entrance of the building, with Lennon and Manuel following suit, still chatting about the latest mix of “Walking On Thin Ice,” which John was still so excited about.

Big Bob spotted him first. Mark David Chapman, the man who received Lennon’s autograph earlier that day, holding a Charter Arms .38-caliber pistol and aiming directly at the former Beatle.

Manuel’s instincts kicked in. As a bodyguard, it was his job to protect his clients, even off-duty. He quickly made his way in front of Lennon, who was still oblivious to the situation unfolding, as Chapman quickly unloaded five bullets in his direction. Two of them hit Manuel in the stomach, one struck him in the neck, and the other two barely missed, with one breaking a window of the Dakota complex, and the other just missing Lennon himself.

A nearby doorman shook the gun away from Chapman and kicked it across the pavement outside the complex.

Lennon reacted immediately to his friend’s injuries.

“Bobby, are you alright?”

All Manuel could muster was a shake of his head and a gurgling sound, which Lennon still recalls as the sound that keeps him up some nights.

After the question, Manuel went unconscious, and was pronounced dead on arrival at a nearby hospital.

To this day, Lennon credits Manuel with saving his life, and says that he “will always feel indebted to [his] old friend, who made the greatest sacrifice that night for [his] safety.”

“Things will never be the same for us, Yoko.”

Last edited:
Chapter 2
Chapter 2: It’s My Turn: The Inauguration of President Reagan

January 20, 1981 marked a turning point for the United States of America. Coming off of four years of an underwhelming President Jimmy Carter, America decided they wanted a change. That change came in the form of former California governor Ronald W. Reagan, the new 40th president of the United States of America.

vgAO2rhRzHBA2CB-T5mgEHpWVRXF3N57h1M9GzBzksN5VI7vW16Q9AN2t7AUQsUB5AduGzJ0RplSpmMBwQuuHZ_eU1psQmXX2MrJCMZ-IUZn3ckP3Bch0lOd6FvImKz8GFDXTXvVOyBUhC7bBv9fTLBHtFuY4beOHOdcHX5slM7wJiIlaSVAz_C_wA

It was 55 degrees in Washington D.C., an unusually warm weather day in January for a district that shares proximity to states such as New York and Connecticut. Ronald Wilson Reagan was set to take the oath of office to become President of the United States, a dream that will finally be realized. Nancy, his wife, knew this was a dream come true for her Ronnie. They had been married for 28 years up to this point. She had served as the First Lady of California, and now, by her husband’s side, would be taking the next step up to the White House.

After the pre-inaugural ceremonies, which Reagan reportedly “enjoyed very much,” the time had come. The president-elect stepped up to the podium to speak the words that would officially make him the 40th President.

L0G87vEvTpVfWtxvEzmoW8205ahRF873AxH_abR6r4Z46JPBMVV3FDjbC57ZQQOumfE8eMsmct_v_Jxk4L6oUieUeC2GqLT1AaLzJLX3tGZhbPYqgOfRp7_ouSBljK18Lj5Qht4RqZ9kwyVAVM1VLw7zVaihv0HlqimnHU5cCaufIJ3T3EAWFb6kDQ

“I, Ronald Wilson Reagan, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States of America. So help me God.”

Red, white, and blue fireworks went off in every American’s mind as Reagan delivered his inaugural address. The Iranian hostages that were held hostage for 444 days under President Carter were released during the speech. The National Christmas tree was lit up for the first time during an inauguration. The Empire State building lit up in patriotic colors. Blue skies were ahead for the nation, surely.

Reagan was elected in a landslide by the American people over the now former President Carter. 489 electoral votes to 49, an incredible margin that still stands today as one of the largest margins of victory for any Presidential election in U.S. history. The 69 year old Reagan knew that not everybody wanted him to be successful in his journey to the White House. He had enemies, some a bigger threat than others, but with him now on top of the world, he knew that he was a target for quite a few people. He wanted to tell Nancy of these fears for quite some time before the inauguration, but his pride was too big to admit that he was scared. The margin of victory was large, but the country was still divided.

Reagan was so incredibly different from his predecessor, of course, that’s what got him elected. He was the first movie actor to be elected to the Oval Office, he even got his nickname from one of his movies: The Gipper. Reagan played George Gipp in Knute Rockne, All American back in 1940, and forty years later, The Gipper and his family would be the primary tenants of the White House. Reagan was also the first President of the Screen Actors Guild, a role which would provide a bit of “practice” for the role of Commander in Chief.

The future looked bright indeed for the Reagan administration, but only time would tell if he had made the right choices on some of his cabinet members. Many of his early selections were highly uncontroversial, but later selections, such as Alexander Haig for secretary of state, proved to be on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Every member, however, was approved, and so after the January 20 inaugural celebrations were finished, it was finally time for the new Republican president to get to work.

VWbKNf0jQC3mboE_02L5e8DiUe5M_rtQhP2_hJ8ihSt895hTybktylgRZVbxCDsU6LWWIv6ijtm5aKpjvCSvvJj70kkTM6uGk-Jjyx6zqJR2DwEZ_5QFJGplhGINqyvyVF_c-iA4fLfZfCwxJKROEwHTfiaglSkYz9qgdjcbnppgdVzutc2BMsL24A

Last edited:
Chapter 3
Chapter 3: 9 to 5: January-March 29, 1981

EzaJ3UPKC3xyvIZm36hub2XBJi9RFL--10HiBiloR6FQJiIwSohtc9Jqpeg7zv7Yi6JZQAlTEAqwfjP7QAbPJPFEvEPO0rTz-557txu45oqJXg1QzTHmuOjBwrokVir1JcJJonNug8XEPO_09SkSyxMycHWWbG_LBnFPL0kRF8DmZcNE0GX3xJpXjQ

As America’s new president, the Gipper quickly filled his plate with things that needed to be done. There were only 10 days left in January, but the president found himself overwhelmed with the amount of events that needed to be attended, government plans that needed to be overlooked, etcetera, etcetera. Hell, only two days after his inauguration, Reagan announced the establishment of a Presidential Task Force on Regulatory Relief, a task force that will “review pending regulations, study past regulations with an eye toward revising them, and recommend appropriate legislative remedies.”

Reagan hoped to be a president for the people, one that seeked real reform and results, rather than filing for programs just for the attention that surrounded them. His plan for the future of America was just beginning to get underway.

Meanwhile, John Lennon was recovering from his close call with death.

Coming out of an attempt on his life, Lennon began to see some things differently than he had before. He had done something he had never seen himself doing before the night of December 8; he began reconciliation with his former band.

GCxwvm4CtEV3qIaHxZC_SlbxKsHOygsc8SiEFqZrxgIil9xvlYo6IgucPH_qGGQ4U7axgRXwuFiz7rp1HEGG156ZHPNuXn53QzigR6YiwT9DM0GTNiMJTDpqQUm4M3i_01aIIKV8nbpDMJKw7A1ajxd7rtkQK5b5m-kpjPYssPJqOyL1Ge75BT66lA

Lennon’s first call after getting out of his last therapy session of February 26 was his old friend and songwriting partner Paul McCartney. They talked for about 3 hours about everything: current events, the assassination attempt, new music, etc. It was only the beginning of the reconciliation process, but it was off to a hell of a start.

After hanging up the phone, Paul could tell that John was a changed man. He took things more seriously, and better at face value as well. John told Paul his plans for the future in great detail.

“This attempt on my life has really changed me, man,” John started.”I’m looking at things that I’ve done in the past and I’m just pissed at myself for doing them. I haven’t been loving my best, that’s for damn sure.”

And he hadn’t. He was absolutely right. Before that December night, John was chronicled as being an abusive father and husband. One that didn’t quite care too much no matter how much he claimed he did. But the effect of the attempt appeared to be a good one, at least for now. John finally seemed to be appreciating his life.

While McCartney and Lennon were chatting it up about the future, a twisted individual named John Hinckley Jr. was harping on the past.

On the night of December 8, 1980, John Hinckley was a 25 year old man with an abnormal obsession with a freshly 18 year old actress named Jodie Foster. Living in New Haven, Connecticut with the sole purpose of stalking Foster, Hinckley wanted more. He wanted her body, her attention, her love.

r7UXBLumR8_CGxk2UH_HTlKpELjANhWdzscc3o_Bgq4CLAYcl744C5o_z2iFL2HRFLRc-sdAX4m8BhwbPhONGChtbiq_MVn14tcef7YSsNjriwCCNCf9qbJJJvt93ZZLnRZVi5RPrm00p5wem4LQxiZOV4kp-H7bFEdd74UO9VfmkwcfSEfUu8n0Bw

The news of Lennon’s assassination attempt hit hard. Like Foster, Lennon was one of Hinckley’s idols. After watching an interview with Lennon shortly after the attempt, one where Lennon claimed that he was going to try and “turn his life around,” Hinckley felt inspired.

But the less successful John wasn’t inspired in the way one might think. Hinckley didn’t decide to drop his obsession with Jodie Foster to lead a healthier, more normal life. Instead, he decided to act on his desires, and win her love as soon as possible.

Hinckley began devising his plan to assassinate president-elect Ronald Reagan as soon as New Year’s Eve 1980, inspired by his favorite movie, Taxi Driver, also known as his favorite girl’s first role. The movie that introduced Jodie Foster to John Hinckley Jr.

The plan was foolproof. Hinckley drew out plans, blueprints, as some would call them, all devising the best course of action to take to murder the future president.

His initial plans involved Inauguration Day, but he knew that the Capital building would be heavily guarded, and that any attempt on President Reagan’s life would be shut down quicker than he could reach his hand into his pocket to draw the weapon.

He decided to drop his plans around the beginning of February. Planning a presidential assassination attempt was simply too much work for him to undertake.
This was his way of thinking until February 27, when one of his idols, John Lennon, gave his first public interview since leaving therapy.

Lennon, in the interview, talked about a multitude of things: his call with Paul McCartney, his marriage, his son, etc. The interview ended with a statement from Lennon, one that would be cited as the statement that changed the course of American history.

Speaking directly to the camera, Lennon spoke to his fans.

“If you have been wanting to do something that you think would better your situation in any way, I am urging you to do it. Do not let anything stand in your way. That is what I have learned over these past months, and I am living it as we speak.”

After watching this interview live, Hinckley quickly found himself planning a bus ride to Washington, D.C. on March 24, more determined than ever to execute an assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan for the love of Jodie Foster.

Last edited:
Chapter 4
Chapter 4: Don’t Stand So Close To Me: March 30, 1981

c1OfkYdvop-QTmSyrAVxrtI9yz48kqtRJ3c_L0D6azLyH4Mv9Ic7UOm4Fh-4i1GbSByQ0QP75ImgMhpyk8reN15vxiOlBEKZQD5oEEFHnH6V1KEoLZkcaWTdpP9wWxCK9zIIQ0P1bdXhc72cNvplIxB5MnsP14WUlj58Cu1-42cLlgwXxjYJrzwd

President Reagan awoke on the morning of March 30th, 1981 like he would any other day of his first presidential year. His alarm clock set for 6:00 AM, he and the First Lady woke up, got dressed for the day, and received a presidential briefing at breakfast time.

On Reagan’s schedule for today: an address at the Washington Hilton Hotel in D.C. to a meeting of AFL-CIO members. The address was written in typical Reagan fashion: start with a joke, then get serious. That’s what made Reagan so loved as a president. That is what got him elected back in November.

Meanwhile, in a hotel in the same city, John Hinckley awoke at around 10. He ate hotel breakfast, watched a couple reruns of I Love Lucy, and headed out for the day at around 1 in the afternoon with only one goal on his mind: assassinate the President of the United States.

The President arrived at the Hilton at around 1:30, surrounded by Secret Service. His press secretary, James Brady, was talking in his ear about the plans for after the speech. But Reagan had other things on his mind. Entering the hotel, the president interrupted Brady, and whispered something that she would never forget:

“I don’t feel very safe here.”

Brady brushed it aside as nervousness, but the words stuck in his mind, and would continue to stick in his mind until the day he breathed his last breath.

The President began his speech.

“Mr. President, reverend clergy, gentlemen here on the dais, and you ladies and gentlemen:
There's been a lot of talk in the last several weeks here in Washington about communication and the need to communicate, and the story that I haven't told for a long time -- but somehow it's been brought back to me since I've been here -- about communication and some of the basic rules of communication.”

While the president was telling his story, John Hinckley was plotting.

Hinckley caught a cab to the Washington Hilton Hotel at approx. 2:04 PM, one minute after Reagan began his speech in the building. Armed with a .22 caliber revolver, he knew this was the only shot he would get at the President, and therefore his only shot at winning Jodie Foster’s love.

President Reagan finished speaking at 2:20, and decided to stick around in the hotel to speak with some close friends about the speech, along with other things. Hinckley sat waiting outside the Hilton, reading a copy of Catcher in the Rye. A book that has become notorious for inspiring the psychotic assassinations of many highly regarded political and pop culture figures. The book was also found on the scene of John Lennon’s assassination attempt, in the hands of his would be assassin, Mark David Chapman.

At 2:30, Reagan walked out of the doors of the hotel, finding the sense of unease from earlier completely gone, brushed off as nervousness, as his press secretary had said just an hour before.

The president, waving to the crowd, approached his limousine, surrounded by many members of his staff, including James Brady, who has virtually not left the president’s side today.

A sharp, angry voice yells out the words “Mr. President,” and within seconds, six shots rang out into the spring air, accompanied by a chorus of screaming men and women alike, who had just beared witness to potentially the fifth presidential assassination in America’s history.

Reagan was quickly pushed into his limousine by Secret Service agent James Parr, and the vehicle sped off as quickly as possible, en route to the White House.

The president, no stranger to adverse situations such as this one, joked about his “flying entrance” into the vehicle. But as quickly as the joke was made, the president coughed up bright red blood. Shock emanated throughout the limousine. Reagan’s face quickly turned from a smile to worry as Parr yelled to the driver to redirect to George Washington University Hospital, a hospital that has plenty of experience with presidential figures such as Reagan.

It took only five minutes for the vehicle to arrive at the emergency room entrance. To everyone’s shock, the president stepped out of the vehicle of his own free will, barely being helped by his Secret Service agents, and headed towards the doorway of the hospital. About 45 feet into the building, Reagan collapsed to one knee and uttered the words “I can’t breathe.”

Quickly losing blood, Reagan was placed on a stretcher and moved into a private room in the hospital, where he proceeded to receive copious amounts of blood while the doctors tried to stop the loss. But no matter what was done, the blood wouldn’t stop pouring out of President Reagan.
Surgery was seen as a last resort by many. The only way to stop the blood loss. As he was wheeled into the operating room, Reagan uttered his last words to his wife Nancy, who had been waiting patiently for the doctors to fix her husband:

“Honey, I forgot to duck.”

Reagan didn’t leave the operating room alive. 03/30/81 became an infamous day in American history, alongside 11/22/63, 09/14/01, 09/19/81, and 04/15/65 as the date of yet another presidential assassination. George H.W. Bush resumed the presidency not long after Reagan’s death proclamation.

Bush was quoted directly after he assumed power:

“Sad day for America, but times go on.”

Last edited:
Well, well, wonder how Bush Sr will do. Domestic policy isn’t his strong suit and doesn’t have the same charisma like Reagan. A decent change he’d still be a one termer and losing in 1984 to Mondale. Meanwhile, I imagine the presidential assassination will give Lennon another needed shock to the system.

Bush is probably gonna take a much bigger hit for the 1982 recession than Reagan did and won’t have the charisma to get himself out of it.

Assuming he makes the same tax concessions that Reagan did the conservatives will shrewd him to pieces and will be called a fake Republican and a Democrat in disguise. His harsh criticism of Reagan’s economics in the presidential debates He may actually get primaried out.

the high unemployment going into 1984 is going to be a much bigger hit to Bush than it did for Reagan. 1984 is a solid democratic victory and Mondale will have a pretty friendly congress going into his term.

Bush is probably gonna take a much bigger hit for the 1982 recession than Reagan did and won’t have the charisma to get himself out of it.

Assuming he makes the same tax concessions that Reagan did the conservatives will shrewd him to pieces and will be called a fake Republican and a Democrat in disguise. His harsh criticism of Reagan’s economics in the presidential debates He may actually get primaried out.

the high unemployment going into 1984 is going to be a much bigger hit to Bush than it did for Reagan. 1984 is a solid democratic victory and Mondale will have a pretty friendly congress going into his term.
True but Bush was not as big against taxes as Reagan and the liberal Republicans may be able to try and take some ground. I do think he will be divisive, but less on the voters and more in the party itself. The 1982 Recession though I think was spurred by Reagan's tax cuts or at least made it worse. Bush Sr. wouldn't go as far, but it could still hurt to say the least.

After all, Mondale doing good and getting some progressive policies in, including increasing taxes on the wealthy and better capital gains taxes that would lead to improved services while the economy is doing good would be a double benefit.

True but Bush was not as big against taxes as Reagan
By the time Reagan gets shot he has already proposed his tax plan, there’s zero chance Bush compromises an inch on the tax plan
liberal Republicans may be able to try and take some ground
by 1980 they are done as an important group in the Republican Party and it’s not changing in this scenario

Chapter 5
Chapter 5: Crying: The Nation Mourns

kB21FCn205FmMCRkDvy3frcAH9IbEQTPvj1Cqem4ievqb15esWXvRd_z2YwqdL46rqiRRGpa65EmFgvO9hc0n5JZHWESutQ6b0Xbcy8r6oHX2VLcSlGr_EJOWXLq2L_O46a3GisSubft_4He65aY7tMNvbO-HaDv_h0rmp0iy9MPbJunVP7twiGVSQ

Ronald Wilson Reagan
1911 - 1981

At 70 years of age and just 2 months into his reign as president, Ronald Wilson Reagan, the 40th president, was shot dead in the streets of Washington. Nancy Reagan’s sobs can be heard from every street corner in the city.

A massive street vigil and prayer service was held in the early morning of March 31st on the streets of Washington. Carter and Reagan voters alike joined hands as they honored the late President of the United States.

Ronald Wilson Reagan entered office at a time where the presidency wasn’t very well regarded. Jimmy Carter, the 39th president, had some extremely low lows in terms of voter approval. Reagan was expected to come in and change things in the White House, which he did. He fully intended to make good on his promises that were made before entering office, and even proposed his tax plan in the short two months before his assassination.

At 56 years of age, George H.W. Bush was now sworn in as the 41st President of the United States, and has one goal at the forefront of his mind: begin to heal the nation’s wounds as they mourn their beloved president. On the evening of March 31st, at around 8:00 EST, the new president addressed the nation via a nationwide broadcast live from the Oval Office.

"My fellow Americans, yesterday, a great tragedy befell our nation. Our President Ronald Reagan was shot and mortally wounded by an armed gunman in the crowd outside the Washington Hilton Hotel. President Reagan was a great man, and an inspiration to us all. Every day he worked with diligence and grace to uphold the values of our nation and to maintain the dignity of the highest office in all the land. Never could I think of any man I would rather serve under.

President Reagan loved our nation more than anything, pledging himself to defend it from any threat to its safety or integrity. Ever since he began his career as the Governor of California our President was dedicated in service to this country and its people.

My deepest condolences also go out to First Lady Nancy Reagan, whose warm and loving guidance is a blessing upon this land. Not only the First Lady, but all of President Reagan's friends and family are all in our thoughts and prayers today.

It is with no joy in my heart that I enter this office, but I am aware of the need this nation currently has for leadership in this dark uncertain time. I pledge myself to the task of living up to a man who exemplified this office like no other. It is my hope that I can be a guiding and protecting figure to all Americans the same that President Reagan was.

America, this is a dark day for us all. But at the end of every dark tunnel there is a guiding light. I entrust that together we can come back from this great tragedy and lead this nation further into the prosperous and great path that President Reagan had set us on. It is our responsibility as citizens of these great United States to insure that the President's legacy will live on. God bless you all, and God bless the United States of America.”

Going to sleep that night, President Bush felt uneasy resting in his new estate, tossing and turning all night. Just a short time ago, it was George Sr.’s dream to reside in the White House, to run the country under the title “President.” Yet, he knew this was not the circumstance he wanted for his new role. He wanted the electoral votes, the public approval, and of course, President Reagan to still be living and breathing. He knew Nancy was in serious duress at this time, and wanted her to know that anything that she needed, he would make sure it happened.

The new president even offered the former First Lady a room in the presidential estate, but she declined, stating that it was “simply too hard.”

But Barbara Bush stayed by her husband’s side, through thick and thin, and knew that he was up to the challenge of being America’s president. She promised herself that she was going to be known as one of the best First Ladies in American history, and she made the same promise to her husband. George still felt uneasy, but was assured knowing how confident his wife was.

The Academy Awards held their ceremony the following night, with the show opened up by an audio recording of President Reagan himself, attributed to his previous occupation of acting. A moment of silence was held at the 1981 NCAA Championship basketball game, which ended up as a somber victory for North Carolina.

The death of America’s president was felt worldwide, with some feeling deeply struck by the assassination, including British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. Others celebrated in the streets. But regardless of these reactions, President Reagan’s approval rating shot up to over 90% in the aftermath of his death, showing how affected the nation was by the deceased President.

President Reagan’s state funeral was held on April 2nd. Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, and Jimmy Carter, the only three former living presidents, were among the first to be invited.

uXRx4hobqqbgwDBbhs41-2Y8JOnRBqTsYWoT46xgdxjDDHibjekuShwiZxPLzgmOd1CxA7kPt-Px4mGKx6eYWu5B00jMxsqRPJEFJ-HZ0OGEJibG1G9MV96cDFo0jwKN1dwsuSTiYMJQU0ffcL2jgCVn6lCsjVCZwmv5v4OMomIVFF-ZBtUov9H0Kg

Congressmen from both parties united to show bipartisan unity for President Reagan. President Bush said of his former boss:

“Despite the short amount of time that he spent in this office, President Reagan was a fine president, and a finer gentleman. I take great pride in knowing that I got to become one of his close friends before he passed. May God rest his soul.”

Just before grabbing one of the handles on President Reagan’s casket, former First Lady Nancy Reagan stopped the new president, giving him sound advice before her husband’s body was taken away:

“I know you want to continue what he was trying to build, George. Please take care of this country for him. He took great pride in being our president for those short months.”

The 41st President nodded, hugged the widow Reagan, and proceeded to carry the Gipper’s body to the presidential hearse.

NOTE: HUGE shoutout to @Intergallactic for writing President Bush's speech here. I'm not the best with imitating dialect through text, but I think he perfectly emulated 41 through that speech to the nation.

I forgot I ever did a Reagan assassination timeline lol, it was my first timeline and it died out quick. I’m sure you will do a better job than I did. Thanks for the shoutout.

Just before grabbing one of the handles on President Reagan’s casket, former First Lady Nancy Reagan stopped the new president, giving him sound advice before her husband’s body was taken away:

“I know you want to continue what he was trying to build, George. Please take care of this country for him. He took great pride in being our president for those short months.”
That surprises me given that as I understand, Nancy Reagan thought very little of both George and Barbara bush.

Even diplomatically I think she'd still be bitterly spiteful in this situation and even critical of GW after she leaves the white house...