Idea: Hindutva dictator of India during the 1950s

Concerned Brazilian

Gone Fishin'
For weeks, I have thought of making a fictional character who would seize power in India during the early 1950s, and implement a far-right, ethnonationalist dictatorship.

He would commit genocide against Indian Muslims, maintain the caste system, adopt a Keynesian economic strategy, and align India with the United States.

I don't think it would be viable for such a leader to come to power, though.

Wouldn't such India be pretty much pariah since it would be genocidal against Muslims and go with extremist Hinduist?

But I think that you need some such POD that Nehru and INC is on some reason discredited or never gain power. For that you probably need POD decades earlier.

Or then Indian gaining independence go really messy and there is civil war which leads even further dissolution of India and remaining India would become such ultra-nationalist state.

For weeks, I have thought of making a fictional character who would seize power in India during the early 1950s, and implement a far-right, ethnonationalist dictatorship.

He would commit genocide against Indian Muslims, maintain the caste system, adopt a Keynesian economic strategy, and align India with the United States.

I don't think it would be viable for such a leader to come to power, though.
That's a bit difficult, modern Hinduvta, i.e the one put forward by Veer Savarkar, champions the destruction of the caste system. The most extreme Hinduvta types are VERY anti caste. Not to mention the caste system is pretty much impossible to maintain with modern technology. Discrimination against lower castes is possible but maintenance of the system itself is not. Hindutva is also very anti Ethnic Nationalism. You'd need a POD that changes the very definition of the ideology.

Concerned Brazilian

Gone Fishin'
That's a bit difficult, modern Hinduvta, i.e the one put forward by Veer Savarkar, champions the destruction of the caste system. The most extreme Hinduvta types are VERY anti caste. Not to mention the caste system is pretty much impossible to maintain with modern technology. Discrimination against lower castes is possible but maintenance of the system itself is not. Hindutva is also very anti Ethnic Nationalism. You'd need a POD that changes the very definition of the ideology.
Means I misunderstood it.

prani

Banned
maintain the caste system
Hindutva is pretty anti caste, you got to understand the people who initially formulated hindutva and supported it were upper caste Brahmins and Kshatriyas whose ancestors were neutral or on the wrong side of the British rule, hence they were pretty disillusioned with the caste system because although they were "upper caste" they were subjected to some of the indignity of untouchability and caste handicaps like any other lower caste by the caste/jatis that supported or flourished under the British rule, which is why hindutva is populist and Anti elitist, it's the core of hindutva, appeal to the idea of Hindus as a political group, this involves playing down of differences in creed, caste, jati, place of birth and playing up the unifying factors which maybe the destruction of temples in the distant past or violence against Hindus present or in the past or anything that makes Hindus think

"The other side doesn't care about our differences all they see is that we are idolators or heathens, we better unite"

To promote this siege mentality requires the destruction of the vestiges of the caste system to a large extent cause how are you going to hold political meetings if some people want to uphold ritual purity in the form of untouchability. While the media highlights the hate speeches given by the hindutvawadi leaders what they ignore is their anti caste attitudes, both goes hand in hand.

Rest of the stuff that you mentioned is just not hindutva, hindu political identity emerged only in the 90s when Ram Janam Bhoomi brought the ideology that was in the fringes to the mainstream, ofcourse that is the product of previous 45 years leaders like Advani or Vajapayee or regional leaders of the ideology working hard at the grass roots to build a broad base and ofcourse the failure by the Congress and the dynasty to deliver on the basics helped a lot .

I mean i have been around a lot of hindutvawadis and most are staunch democrats ofcourse you have a few basket cases, the reason being they saw the abuse of state power during the time of emergency which was a formative experience to the young and emerging political movement and now it is essentially an anti establishment movement, sceptical about government power.
This is the side of Hindutva that is not often highlighted cause everything is centred around the Hindu muslim divide.

I mean what you're trying to do is like imposing a Neo liberal ideas of Ronald Reagan administration on say Truman or Eisenhower administration, cause US Neo liberalism is a product of the experience of the people in the west from 1945 to 1979 or 76 if you include president Carter's reforms. Of course you had Neo liberalism ideas back in the 40s but the policies that we saw implemented from the 80s onwards is way different from the proto Neo liberal ideas that was talked about in narrow circles back in the 40s.

You can't have hindutva prior to 1996 it's just not possible. You can have a Hindu nationalist dictator but that guy is not a hindutvawadi

Concerned Brazilian

Gone Fishin'
Hindutva is pretty anti caste, you got to understand the people who initially formulated hindutva and supported it were upper caste Brahmins and Kshatriyas whose ancestors were neutral or on the wrong side of the British rule, hence they were pretty disillusioned with the caste system because although they were "upper caste" they were subjected to some of the indignity of untouchability and caste handicaps like any other lower caste by the caste/jatis that supported or flourished under the British rule, which is why hindutva is populist and Anti elitist, it's the core of hindutva, appeal to the idea of Hindus as a political group, this involves playing down of differences in creed, caste, jati, place of birth and playing up the unifying factors which maybe the destruction of temples in the distant past or violence against Hindus present or in the past or anything that makes Hindus think

"The other side doesn't care about our differences all they see is that we are idolators or heathens, we better unite"

To promote this siege mentality requires the destruction of the vestiges of the caste system to a large extent cause how are you going to hold political meetings if some people want to uphold ritual purity in the form of untouchability. While the media highlights the hate speeches given by the hindutvawadi leaders what they ignore is their anti caste attitudes, both goes hand in hand.

Rest of the stuff that you mentioned is just not hindutva, hindu political identity emerged only in the 90s when Ram Janam Bhoomi brought the ideology that was in the fringes to the mainstream, ofcourse that is the product of previous 45 years leaders like Advani or Vajapayee or regional leaders of the ideology working hard at the grass roots to build a broad base and ofcourse the failure by the Congress and the dynasty to deliver on the basics helped a lot .

I mean i have been around a lot of hindutvawadis and most are staunch democrats ofcourse you have a few basket cases, the reason being they saw the abuse of state power during the time of emergency which was a formative experience to the young and emerging political movement and now it is essentially an anti establishment movement, sceptical about government power.
This is the side of Hindutva that is not often highlighted cause everything is centred around the Hindu muslim divide.

I mean what you're trying to do is like imposing a Neo liberal ideas of Ronald Reagan administration on say Truman or Eisenhower administration, cause US Neo liberalism is a product of the experience of the people in the west from 1945 to 1979 or 76 if you include president Carter's reforms. Of course you had Neo liberalism ideas back in the 40s but the policies that we saw implemented from the 80s onwards is way different from the proto Neo liberal ideas that was talked about in narrow circles back in the 40s.

You can't have hindutva prior to 1996 it's just not possible. You can have a Hindu nationalist dictator but that guy is not a hindutvawadi
Thank you, I was truly out of the loop on the ideology (as a Brazilian)