I've Got Stirling's Latest!

Diamond

Banned
Mine's on the way from the book club. It's worth the extra wait to get it for only $12 or thereabouts...

Faeelin

Banned
Mmm.

I wanna read it, but I don't want to pay $25 for a 300 page hardcover.

Ah well, it'll come out in soft cover eventually.

Diamond

Banned
which book is this?
The Sky People.

I got it today; read about a third of it so far. It has the 'usual Stirling suspects' characters, but uber-competent people make far more sense in this scenario (colonizing other planets) than they did in, say, ISOT. The story is fast-paced, and the way Stirling has worked in tributes to Burroughs and the rest works really well without being too heavy-handed. All in all, very very good so far. It might even edge out Lancers as being my favorite Stirling book.

Is there a Draka-styled appendix of the world we could post eventually?

I'm interested in page 176. So Gaullist France led the EU, which was Italy, West Germany, and Spain? And who replaced Mao who was more of a reformer?

Shiny Shortness

I've got it and read it. My only complaint is that it's far too short.

SF/Fantasy books have gotten much longer over the past couple of generations. Pulp-era novels (originally written for serial publication) were often as short as 40,000 words. If you look at the best of, say, Burroughs or Howard, you find that they're extremely 'tight' writers, with nary a word wasted on anything that doesn't move the story along, and they're surprisingly sparing with adjectives.

Even in the 60's, SF originals were generally in the 60,000-75,000 word range. Nowadays, 200,000 isn't uncommon -- although except for the biggest megastars the publishers are starting to revolt, for cost reasons.

(They don't want to increase the price of books for fear of driving down sales, but given average print runs -- 5,000 units for a midlist hardcover, 20,000 for a paperback -- the longer word-lengths just don't pay because of higher production costs, mostly for paper. I wouldn't have any problem but the bulk of the titles they put out are midlist.)

I came into the field just as the transition was taking place; my first book was about 85,000 words, but since then I've tended to write long -- typically in the 150,000-200,000 word range, because I'm an intensely descriptive writer by natural inclination. It's what I enjoy most about reading myself, and like most people in the business I write the book I'd like to read. 200,000 words is about a thousand pages in manuscript; at a small but practical typeface, 500-700 pages in hardcover.

For The Sky People and In the Courts of the Crimson Kings I'm aiming at a compromise -- around 100,000 words -- as part of the homage to the Golden Age. It also forces you to plot more tightly; like writing poetry in one of the stricter forms, the discipline can be useful.

Oooh, Burroughs style? I'll admit Tarzan bores my but everything else Burroughs had was in most cases gold. *Makes note to see if the libary has it yet*

I got it, enjoyed it quite a bit. My main beef was that it was too short. I really like that sort of setting generally, though-one of my favorite RPG universes was Terradyne back in the old version of GURPS.

I'm looking forward to the second book in the series, although I think Lancers is still my favorite Stirling book. *hopes for another book in that universe*

SF/Fantasy books have gotten much longer over the past couple of generations. Pulp-era novels (originally written for serial publication) were often as short as 40,000 words. If you look at the best of, say, Burroughs or Howard, you find that they're extremely 'tight' writers, with nary a word wasted on anything that doesn't move the story along, and they're surprisingly sparing with adjectives.

isn't that mainly because they were writing for magazines first, and only got published in books later? AFAIK, Howard was never published in a book in his lifetime...

Dear Mr. Stirling,

I haven't read any of your other books, but I do enjoy the works of Burroughs (I've read all of the John Carter of Mars Series) and Bradbury. I'm reading the The Sky People and it's been quite enjoyable! I like it alot, and I cannot wait for the sequel. It's always nice to see books in the style of the early Sci-fi novels, and I hope you continue.

(I've made a note to borrow the Peshawar Lancers from my friend as soon as I can.)