John Locke idea

Could John Locke have rebelled and made the Kingdom of Great Britain the Republic of Great Britain in 1688 in place of the Glorious Revolution? Maybe after being elected MP.

Questions:
1. Would ARW still happen?

2. What kind of leader would Locke hav been? Would he have been more like Washington or Cromwell?

3. Most of all is this possible?

Last edited:
Besides that I imagined him more to be a philosopher but a politician, I think he was more conservative... at least he wreote the conservative constitution of the Carolinas...

The trouble is that in 1688 no one really wanted another potential Civil War. That's why the Glorious Revolution happened- in order to prevent plunging the country into a massive round of bloodshed which would be the probable result if James II was allowed to consolidate Stuart power any more than he already had. In the same token, making Great Britain into a republic would be swinging to the other extreme- everyone still remembers what happened the last time someone tried to do that. At the time, the vast majority of people wanted a middle path and William of Orange offered that.

The trouble is that in 1688 no one really wanted another potential Civil War. That's why the Glorious Revolution happened- in order to prevent plunging the country into a massive round of bloodshed which would be the probable result if James II was allowed to consolidate Stuart power any more than he already had. In the same token, making Great Britain into a republic would be swinging to the other extreme- everyone still remembers what happened the last time someone tried to do that. At the time, the vast majority of people wanted a middle path and William of Orange offered that.

Maybe POD is James II crushes the original rebellion or William the Orange doesn't agree to take the throne fearin that he will inherit civil strife so after a longer bloodier revolution John Locke found th United Republic of England, Scotland and Ireland. Maybe they get the Irish, Scots and colonial support by promising ewual rep. for all. I choose Locke becaue he wasn't at all like Cromwell and wouldn't form the Protectorate. He was a philosopher who would've created this only to keep those opposed to his version of republicanism out.

Maybe POD is James II crushes the original rebellion or William the Orange doesn't agree to take the throne fearin that he will inherit civil strife so after a longer bloodier revolution John Locke found th United Republic of England, Scotland and Ireland. Maybe they get the Irish, Scots and colonial support by promising ewual rep. for all. I choose Locke becaue he wasn't at all like Cromwell and wouldn't form the Protectorate. He was a philosopher who would've created this only to keep those opposed to his version of republicanism out.

:::bump:::