Kinnock wins in 1992 UK election

Devvy

Donor
In my 16:51 TL, I loosely mentioned that Kinnock won the 1992 general election in the UK as a side point. What are people's thoughts on the knock-on effects of this - both in the UK and Europe?

I've seen suggestions on this forum in past threads that Kinnock was looking at lowering the value of the pound, as it was over-valued, which might have killed off Black Wednesday. Pound remaining in the ERM possible.....possible adoption of the €uro by mid-2000s? I don't see us ever joining Schengen until there is a complete asylum system across Europe, so asylum seekers who get to the UK can be moved over to other rich countries to balance the load.

Labour were also against the exclusion of the UK from the social chapter of the Maastricht Treaty, so I guess we would go all-in for the EU. Looking back, I think a lot of the anti-EU feelings in the UK began in the 90s, so could we see the EU governed on a UK/FR/DE axis instead of the FR/DE we have OTL?

Thoughts?

See
Principle in Power (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4)
Well

which seems to be coming along nicely, and is currently active.

Devvy

Donor
You beauty. Missed that as the title doesn't mention Kinnock/Major/1992 and so it didn't come up in my searches. Brilliant TL so far...

On a more general basis, any other thoughts on the topic at hand? :)

It depends on if he wins an outright majority or is the largest party supported by the Lib Dems.

I have always said that it would have been better for the Conservatives as a party to have lost in 1992.