Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, this is a sequel to my previous map, set around 1931, after a devastating war broke out in the Anatolian Peninsula and managed to consume the world. The Central Powers consist of OTL's Powers (with Ottomans replaced by revanchist Turks) plus Romania, Persia, Norway and Brazil (the latter two became increasinlgy pro-German due to butterflies and saw it as a chance to improve prestige. In this case, with America tied down in a war with Mexico (again), the Allies pushed to the Eastern Alliance.

The Alliance demanded the independence of Indochina, Sarawak, Hong Kong and Macau (as well as secretly Primorsk and Salkalin Islands) in exchange for joining the Alliance. Soon, the Centrals were finally defeated and treated with great intensity. Germany was disarmed, stripped of colonies and made to pay reperations, with the Austrian Empire being finally dismantled, though the Hungarians manage to keep Slovakia after a deal with Poland.

The Balkans are completely redrawn, with the Balkan nations being merged into a single Jugoslav Republic. Romania gets off quite well, being allowed to get Transylvania from the Hungarians, though is not allowed Bessarabia and has to pay reperatoins and lend oil to the allied nations. Brazil is forced to cede territory in Guyana and pay 20% of its taxes to the Allied forces. Norway gets away with some minor reparations. Intervention in Russia allowed a Republican government to come to power. Despite losing Poland and Lithuania (and of course Vladivstok) , they are surprisingly well off, keeping the remainder of the Baltic States, Finland (now as a semi-independent satellite) and Central Asia, even gaining territory from Persia and Anatolia.

Speaking of Anatolia, the Turks are crushed once again, losing big swathes of territory to Greece, France and Kurdistan. The Kurds even manage to set up a nation of Pontus with hte West's approval, cutting Turkey off from the sea completely, while intense political involvement pacifies the native people.

The Eastern Alliance comes off with people's liberated, new territory and increasing involvement and prestige in world affairs. Siam gains Cambodia, while Laos and Vietnam become Chinese sattelites. Japan has gained Sarawak from the British as well as Salkalin islands once again. Unfortunately, the original aim of hte Alliance to liberate the people's of East Asia has become corrupted, and both powers are seeing it as a chance to develop their imperial ambitions. Not only this, but the social injustices of Qing China are starting to really take their toll, and the increasing prevalence of far Left Groups is also beginning to have a major impact on the society, as people are now getting tired of monarchist yoke. The future of hte Alliance is becoming more and more uncertain now.

4IwPPEP.png

Goldstein

Banned
They seem to be lacking the only part of Turkey they claim.

Yup, the Hatay province. I forgot to redraw that.

And your rules would mean that Malaysia would get higher precedence over Indonesia.

How so? Malaysia doesn't claim anything... so, as Indonesia claims the whole Malaysia, it gets it. The exception is Sabah, that is also claimed by the Philippines which, by virtue of the fourth rule, gets it.

Since when does Mexico claim anything of the US’, and since when do they think they have any right or capability to do so?

Mexico doesn't officially claim anything. I should have mentioned it: those are the modern irredentist claims listed in Wikipedia, here and here. My bad.

How they made it, it's not important. Nuclear war, alien intervention, countercultural secessionist movements, drugs in the tap water... it's just a mapping exercise, it's not to be taken too seriously.

Last edited:
The Government of Indonesia doesn't claim the entire Malaysia, but some ultranationalistic nutjobs indeed do. The Irredentism is definitely there. Malaysia doesn't have any irredentist claim at all, though perhaps they would have some who fancy the idea of Greater Malay or something, dreaming of incorporating Eastern Sumatra(just never think of Aceh as Malay. Ever. Read Sumatran history). But that'll be a bigger issue for Malaysia then Indonesia swallowing Malaysia entirely, which is a big if already.

Japan has gained Sarawak from the British as well as Salkalin islands once again.

The portion of the island of Borneo you have given to the Japanese in that map is actually the territory of Sabah or formally British North Borneo whilst Sarawak appears to be remaining a British protectorate. If Japan was asking for concessions in this area it would probably focus on Labuan and the area around Miri and Brunei for the oil reserves.

How they made it, it's not important. Nuclear war, alien intervention, countercultural secessionist movements, drugs in the tap water... it's just a mapping exercise, it's not to be taken too seriously.

Perhaps they never lost it in the first place and it's just a convergent TL overall? :D

Of course, a lot of these states don't look like they'd last very long. Given how much trouble the Ukraine is having right now with pro-and-anti Russian factions, I suspect that greater Ukraine is in deep internal doo-doo...

Bruce

A very casual scenario, based on the map by dead_wolf about the fulfilled Irredentist claims.

As many claims overlap, I followed some rules:

-Claims over entire countries that have irredentist claims of their own are ignored.
-When two countries argue to be the same and claim each other, the country that claims more territory engulfs the other.
-When a country claims mainland of another country, it gets it automatically, unless the claim overlaps with other claims of the same nature.
-When several countries claim roughly the same area, the country that would shrink the most due to the former rule fulfils its claim.

Changes are as it follows:

AFRICA

-Morocco gets Mauretania, parts of Mali and Algeria, Western Sahara, Ceuta and Melilla.
-Ethiopia gets Eritrea.
-Comoros gets the island of Mayotte.
-Somalia gets united and gets Northeastern Kenya and Ogaden.
Wouldn't the Sudan want South Sudan back?

Here's a map I made for Vexacus' TL Rise of the Zords.

The scenario:

Zordnia Island is a mysterious island-that-shouldn't-be-there in the Pacific, known but obsessively avoided by the Polynesians of the nearby islands. Basically they had a bad run-in with the prehistoric alien robots (yes, you read that right) deposited there a while ago, left, and never came back.

History goes largely unchanged until the USA uncovers the dormant robots underground and WWII ends with a stalemate (I forgot which order those happened in). NASADA (ATL NASA) and BioLabs (corporation) have restricted access to the island to study and reverse engineer its secrets.

The USA will do anything to keep other powers from the treasure trove they've uncovered. Armed with security that makes OTL North Korea, Fort Knox and Area 51 look like the neighborhood watch, Zordnia is NOT a place to mess with. Yet by 2014, foreign agents have infiltrated the facilities and information is leaking. The combination of post-WWII tensions and alien tech hundreds (or even thousands) of years beyond our time leads to some... interesting results.

Basically, imagine the results of a regular tech ISOT scenario... then apply that to the current day.

The map:

I swear on me mom this wasn't ripped off the Cook Island map posted previously. As Vexacus can attest to, I finalised the scenario and started making the map long before the Cook Island map was posted. I invite any doubtful mods to check our PMs for proof.

The awkward layout and some inconsistent colors and typography are deliberate. Virtual cookie if you can figure out why, and if you can find the other hidden easter eggs.

Edit: If you're wondering, Zordnia is about 83,600 square km.

WARNING

THIS IMAGE IS HUGE. Even huger than QBAMs. ITTL this map is designed to be printed at 40.55 x 57.32 in (or 1.030 x 1.456 m) and the file is a whopping 2.96 MB and 5159 x 3650 px. Be prepared to have your internet connection destroyed.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO VIEW THIS IMAGE ON A PHONE OR TABLET. (it might not crash certain devices, but basically I can't make any guarantees)

2DETAILED4U

Last edited:
So, what happened with the Japanese? Did they go in and claim the Hawaiin islands as they did with the Bonin ones, in that they claimed them after other people found and settled them? Or did they actually find them empty because of Polynesians steering well clear of the entire area?

That is an insanely good map. My hat is off to you, sir.

I must ask however, how did America keep Zordnia if they lost Hawaii to the Japanese?

From the convergent Hawaiian place names in the TL, I figured that Polynesians settled Hawaii as per OTL, they only avoided Zordnia itself.

As for how USA has Zordnia and Japan has Hawaii, that's a question that has also been raised in the TL's thread. I couldn't find a clear answer in my quick-read through; at one point Vexacus said that America never had Hawaii and that another point said they did. It wasn't important for the map content so I just took the situation as a given.

Status
Not open for further replies.