Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Molokai named Seifuku? :confused:

After checking to see what might be the problem, I see that it means Japanese school uniform :p. No, that's not an easter egg, it's a coincidence. The Seifuku I had in mind is a different Japanese word but tbh I forgot what it was. I didn't write it down because I didn't think anyone would care. Now I remember that I'm on ah.com! :D

d32123

Banned
After checking to see what might be the problem, I see that it means Japanese school uniform :p. No, that's not an easter egg, it's a coincidence. The Seifuku I had in mind is a different Japanese word but tbh I forgot what it was. I didn't write it down because I didn't think anyone would care. Now I remember that I'm on ah.com! :D

:D

It's okay, even as someone who has never read the TL I still love the map from an aesthetic perspective. Good job!

Jones, Ventura, Icke... Why are the regions named after conspiracy nuts?

First virtual cookie goes to CannedTech for spotting this easter egg.

ITTL they were named after explorers and governors who just happened to have these names.

In real life, I figured it was an appropriate thing to reference, because the island is all about secret government reverse engineering of ancient alien robots.

That reminds me, I forgot to include the Ancient Aliens man.

Gian

Banned
No specific PoD, but several major things are different:

The Reconquista fails. Castile, Aragon, and Leon remain separate. Al Andalus is reformed and reuinited by a powerful warlord and great tactician into a reconstituted Caliphate of Cordoba.

This results in a Basque wank, as the Basques revolt, establish their own state, and wage a successful war against Castile allied with Cordoba.

Meanwhile there is an England screw, as France and Scotland defeat it in war. The United Kingdom of Scotland and Wales is among the great powers of Europe. There has also been an Irish revolt, which has established a native Kingdom of Ireland.

The west slavs continue moving westwards, and the Sorbians establish a kingdom in eastern Germany. A group called the Bolobar migrate into what is now eastern Russia and establish a state there.

Finland unifies against Swedish attempts to conquer it and wipe out its culture. An army composed of several united tribes of Fins defeats a Swedish army and secures Finnish independence. Finland expands further at the expense of Sweden, annexing Sami areas and parts of Norway after the Great Finnish War. The Empire of Finland expands into Russia, and further inland Suomi is a trading lingua franca.

From the east a Turkish kingdom formed from ruins of the Seljuq Sultanate of Rum manages to expand and conquer a vast area extending from Mesopotamia to Egypt, the Georgia, to Mauritania, to Italy. Rome itself was conquered and made the capital by Imperator Sulimanus, who saw himself as an Islamic Constantine. The state is called the "Great and Universal Caliphate and Empire of the Romans". Royal Turkoman is the language of state and a lingua franca among the cultured elites and merchants.

The Helvetic romance language survives, and thrives during the Turkoman conquest of Italy. Italian refugees flooded Switzerland and adopted the language. A Kingdom of Helvetia is established soon after to unite the people against Turk conquest.

The Holy Roman Empire was broken up and destroyed by the western Slavs, who become great bastions of Catholicism in northern Europe.

The Frisian language survives and a Frisian kingdom expands and dominates northern Germany

Iceland has natives and its own language, it even developed a writing system.

Then why is the map upside down?:confused:

That is an insanely good map. My hat is off to you, sir.

Amazing map, Transparent Blue.

Fantastic map TB.

That's an amazing map. I can't wait to find out what's under the cloudy area.

Very impressive map.

Great, now I have to clean all the drool from my keyboard.

Okay that's cool and all but not the most constructive of responses...

Care to elaborate? What did you like? What could I improve?

What does map 34 cover?

Nyujirando

Dorozhand

Banned
Then why is the map upside down?:confused:

In this world cartography happened to arbitrarily put south "up" and north "down" rather than the other way around. Before Renaissance cartographers standardized the familiar layout, there were many medieval and Asian maps which did the same thing, and TTL decided to go that way.

In this world cartography happened to arbitrarily put south "up" and north "down" rather than the other way around. Before Renaissance cartographers standardized the familiar layout, there were many medieval and Asian maps which did the same thing, and TTL decided to go that way.

It's strange how unrecognizable a flipped map can be.

I can't remember—is there any basis OTL for east being right and west being left, or can those be flipped just as easily?

Well, it would be weird- the standard layout, assuming North to be at the top, is how it would look looking down from above. Switching East and West would make it so you are viewing things as though from underground. This would be logical if it where a map made for the invasion of the Molemen, but otherwise a bit less so. I think it's still been done OTL, but incredibly rarely.

Last edited:
Well, it would be weird- the standard layout, assuming North to be at the top, is how it would look looking down from above. Switching East and West would make it so you are viewing things as though from underground. This would be logical if it where a map made for the invasion of the Molemen, but otherwise a bit less so. I think it's still be done OTL, but incredibly rarely.

Huh, I never thought about that.

Switching East and West would make it so you are viewing things as though from underground. This would be logical if it where a map made for the invasion of the Molemen, but otherwise a bit less so.

Gravity still pulls the same way underground, so to me it's extremely unlikely that it'd be helpful even in that situation.

But it's still almost inevitable for cartography to put East on the right and West on the left because we're on the surface, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.