Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannedTech

Banned
turns out there were a few discrepencies that i overlooked with my previous map, but i've fixed it now. here's the REAL map.

yeah yeah, ameriwank cancer, dat indonesian subdivision, yadda yadda yadda :p :rolleyes: any questions or critiques for the map or something that just seems out of place?

EDIT: while i mentioned that i was working on a map of this with a key before, i've been having trouble figuring out exactly how i want to organize it. any pointers on that?

What's the backstory on Mexico? I recall it being Aztec in one of the earlier iterations.

What's the backstory on Mexico? I recall it being Aztec in one of the earlier iterations.
yup, Aztecs. that's a misnomer, btw: the actual demographics are much more diverse. the idea is that the Aztecs are still conquered ITTL--but by Cesare Borgia instead of Hernan Cortes--along with other OTL Spanish conquests, but they escape total destruction and form a strong resistance movement against the Spanish, which waxes and wanes several times until the mid-19th century, when TTL's equivalent of the Mexican-American War breaks out between the United States and Spain, which Aztecs and Americans take advantage of by joining forces with the northern half of New Spain being annexed by the Americans (OTL's Mexican Cession, basically, but with Baja included) and the southern half becoming a much stabler monarchist Mexico under the name Anahuac (often called the Aztec Empire). another contributing factor that i decided on recently for the eventual success of the Aztecs is the introduction of smallpox being delayed by a few years, just a random chance that can be attributed to any previous POD elsewhere in the TL; maybe it's a very, very distant consequence of Harold Godwinson repelling the Normans :p

A map I found on my computer that I never go round to uploading! The description is what I think I was thinking when I made it.

I utterly adore this map. It's sleek and respects the local state feelings a lot.

My only quibble is the Pacific Republic existing of a sort - NorCal and *Nevada were settled by Yankees while southerners settled Arizona and SoCal. I would be surprised the Yankee-settled areas wouldn't join the FRA. Mind, I know for creativity it looks good for another nation on the map and it doesn't detract from the awesomeness! :D

And der map.

A map that is so unique in putting Persia and Rome down BUT respecting all the ethnic Greek-majority areas in history (post-Alexander and pre-Ottoman is what i'm thinking of - a good millennia there for Greeks in Anatolia!) AND putting the Greek World as one entity?

Hell.

YES!!!

Great job, B_Sir! :)

turns out there were a few discrepencies that i overlooked with my previous map, but i've fixed it now. here's the REAL map.

yeah yeah, ameriwank cancer, dat indonesian subdivision, yadda yadda yadda :p :rolleyes: any questions or critiques for the map or something that just seems out of place?

EDIT: while i mentioned that i was working on a map of this with a key before, i've been having trouble figuring out exactly how i want to organize it. any pointers on that?

Finn has Kola but not whole Karelia?

I utterly adore this map. It's sleek and respects the local state feelings a lot.

My only quibble is the Pacific Republic existing of a sort - NorCal and *Nevada were settled by Yankees while southerners settled Arizona and SoCal. I would be surprised the Yankee-settled areas wouldn't join the FRA. Mind, I know for creativity it looks good for another nation on the map and it doesn't detract from the awesomeness! :D
Thanks you!! :D

I just thought that with the northerners setting a precedence for secession from the United States that Californians might try their luck as well! NorCal and *Humboldt just had to go along with the rest due to transport links etc. and weren't given an option to join the FRA in the post-war treaty.

Last edited:
I'm guessing their having St. Petersburg balances it out.
wait, really? *looks it up* fuck, you're right! i hadn't even noticed that! i'll go and change the map now, but i won't re-upload it just yet--i'll wait until i revise greater errors on my part or add in some geographic changes. there could very well be some artificial islands ITTL, or some lakes could be drained or created that aren't or won't ITTL (incidentally, i'm unsure about Lake Chad)

anyway, Finland kinda figures into Russia becoming analogous to OTL's United Kingdom while Britannia (TTL's version of the British Empire, using Roman place names in Britain itself). Finland is Scotland in analogy and successfully voted for peaceful secession (for the record, not at the same time as Scotland did in previous years--it's measured the same temporal distance, but from when Russian became a constitutional monarchy ITTL). i forget exactly why i chose those specific borders for Karelia, though.

Decided to test a few GIMP tricks on what can only be described as a bad example of Etruscan-wank. (Note: since the known vocabulary is rather limited, I might have taken a few liberties with the toponyms)

ijfpt9k.jpg

The pattern of conquests seems...odd. All that northern Europe and none of North Africa and none of the Middle East? A lot of North America but none of the (initially more valuable) Caribbean and Mesoamerica?

Nord-Trondelog should be united would Sor-Trondelog, probably.

Ehh, from the looks of his map it's just Namdalen which has joined the North. Someone actually Norwegian may have to correct me, but that was part of Hålogaland before the country was unified, and may just be about as culturally northern as it is culturally Trønder. However, if we're gonna go splitting counties, that western Trøndelag boundary might want to be looked at…

Decided to test a few GIMP tricks on what can only be described as a bad example of Etruscan-wank. (Note: since the known vocabulary is rather limited, I might have taken a few liberties with the toponyms)

ijfpt9k.jpg

I find their non-control of Southern Italy and Sicily distrubing. I mean Sicily was important militay area at that time whoeverccontrol it shall had many advantage

Might want to erase the quoted map. And it makes sense that some people pushed back to the Toe and Heel would dig in their feet. Also avoids it being a Greater Italy.

I find their non-control of Southern Italy and Sicily distrubing. I mean Sicily was important militay area at that time whoeverccontrol it shall had many advantage

Maybe there is some Carthago-Analogue which controls much of the remaining mediterranean stuff (and not shown on the map)

But yes, that oddity about south Italy was also my first thought ;)

Alt history idea if Stephen Uroš IV Dušan of Serbia was more sucesfful in his conquests, and had a stronger heir overall. Year is now 1400, 40 years after the fall of Constantinople to the Serbians. A new power in the east is mighty, Timur.

Dark Blue: Serbian Tsardom
Lighter Blue with Brown Outline: Principality of Zeta
Light Blue: Bulgarian Tsardom
Dark Yellow: Despotate of Epirus
Dark Green: Ottoman Belyik
Light Green: Belyik of Konya
Light Yellow: Kingdom of Cyprus-Cilicia
Turquoise: Empire of Trebizond
Red: Timur
Tan: Mamluk Sultanate

Serbian Tsarate.png

-map-

I realize that the map was created more for mapmaking skills and aesthetics, so the scenario is not necessarily plausible.

However, I'd like to point out that Mimana (a supposed Japanese colony along the southern Gaya coastline) is generally accepted to be a Japanese fabrication with origins in the 8th century, as archeological artifacts indicate that Korean metalworking was considerably more advanced than that of Japan at the time. Additionally, Chinese and Korean records do not mention a supposed Japanese presence on the peninsula, while the latter indicate that the "entity" (Imna in Korean) was part of the Gaya confederation.

However, based on Japonic toponyms within the peninsula, and their relatively late dating within the archipelago, historians (outside of Korea) have hypothesized that until the 4th century BC, the inhabitants south of what is now Pyongyang may have spoken "proto-Japanese." A significant cultural shift might have then occurred during a wave of migrations southward from Gojoseon and the end of the Jōmon culture simultaneously around 300 BC. Ironically, this means that culturally "Japanese" inhabitants from the peninsula may have "colonized" the archipelago, although both "Korean" and "Japanese" cultures may have coexisted on the peninsula for several centuries. As a result, "Minama" would never have been used for an existing political entity, as it "existed" after the AD 3rd century, and does not appear in written records until the 8th century.

In other words, "Minama" is both anachronistic and geographically incorrect in this context, and the alternate terminology should be the "Han" or a similar equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.