McCain v Bush, 2000

What if John McCain succeeds in getting the Republican nomination in 2000?

We can assume that McCain will beat Gore, I think.

Then what's the versus? Do you think Bush would continue on without primary support?

It would look bad, and could be spun as "spoiled son of ex-president refuses to allow presidential process to proceed."

ninebucks

Banned
Bush beat Gore because he was viewed as being more down to earth, approachable, and because he shared the values of the conservative voters. Those are not advantages McCain has. Gore could still win it.

Gore would have hammered McCain in '00.........McCain would never have gotten the conservatives fired up enough to go to the polls

He became president.

Ergo, he won.

If many people don't think he deserved it, fine. But his but still sits in the chair. Gore's hasn't.

Bush became president. It's debatable who "won."

It is debatable I guess. However there is zero question that Gore polled more votes.

There is zero doubt that tens of thousands of likely Democrat voters in Florida were excluded form the polls based on their being fellons when they were not.

People can believe that GW Bush was a legitimately eleced President in 2000

People can believe that the Earth is flat or that the Moon is made of green cheese.

It is debatable I guess. However there is zero question that Gore polled more votes.

There is zero doubt that tens of thousands of likely Democrat voters in Florida were excluded form the polls based on their being fellons when they were not.

People can believe that GW Bush was a legitimately eleced President in 2000

People can believe that the Earth is flat or that the Moon is made of green cheese.

People can also believe they can trust others for non biased oppinions.

People can also believe in vast right-wing/left-wing/Jewish/capitalist/communist/etc. conspiracies.

People can also believe that the Supreme Court should be ignored, that the justice system is out of control.

People can also believe aethiests/evangelicals are ruining america.

People can also believe that these have anything to do with reality.

People can also believe anything their minds desire. And if that's not a judgement on the human race, I don't know what is.

Well, that'd be the end result, but I was thinking of the primaries when I did the topic - sorry.
McCain was building up a head of steam going into In the South Carolina primary, however, Bush soundly defeated McCain. Some credited Bush's win to the fact that it was the first major primary in which only registered Republicans could vote, which negated McCain's strong advantage among independents. Some McCain supporters blamed it on a campaign of dirty tricks including the false suggestion that McCain fathered an African-American child out of wedlock, perpetrated against McCain by his political enemies. Whatever the real reason, McCain's loss in South Carolina stopped his momentum cold. Although McCain won a few additional primaries, Bush took the majority and handily won the nomination.
Here is the POD If McCain wins, the nomination is his for the taking.

McCain was building up a head of steam going into In the South Carolina primary, however, Bush soundly defeated McCain. Some credited Bush's win to the fact that it was the first major primary in which only registered Republicans could vote, which negated McCain's strong advantage among independents. Some McCain supporters blamed it on a campaign of dirty tricks including the false suggestion that McCain fathered an African-American child out of wedlock, perpetrated against McCain by his political enemies. Whatever the real reason, McCain's loss in South Carolina stopped his momentum cold. Although McCain won a few additional primaries, Bush took the majority and handily won the nomination.
Here is the POD If McCain wins, the nomination is his for the taking.

Fair enough, thank you. :)

So, McCain wins South Carolina primary and coasts to the nomination on sheer momentum.

I think that if Gore campaigns the way he campaigned against Bush, he'll lose soundly. McCain in 2000 is one of the rare candidates that has some crossover appeal.

Gore could beat McCain, but I'm honestly not sure how a contest like that would go. Some conservatives might not vote - but really, only a very few are going to stay home because of Bush brand loyalty.

Edit - I just found this quote - from this article - http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/politics/national/features/1634/index1.html

"We have to beat Bush somewhere early, that's crucial," says John Weaver, McCain's political director, laying out his best-case vision of the first four primaries. "We believe we can do it in New Hampshire. And then the next primary is in South Carolina, which has over 400,000 veterans, where we also believe we can win. Three days after that is Arizona, which we'll definitely take. Then Michigan becomes the fire wall for Bush, a state he has to win."

McCain may have had that crossover appeal due to limited exposure to him. I would think he would wear on people over time, and I think Bush was able to win because of the enormous turnout of religious conservatives, who are not going to come out for McCain. That Giuliani is crushing him now, despite being thrice married (serving divorce papers to one of them while she was undergoing chemotherapy, and publicly parading around his mistress should be a pretty clear indicator of where McCain might have been in 2000 - and that's before he invested effort into wooing Christian conservatives.

I think Gore would probably have had a better chance against McCain than he did against Bush.

On the other hand, my POV might be colored by eight years of McCain having whored himself out to Bush.

Fair enough, thank you. :)

So, McCain wins South Carolina primary and coasts to the nomination on sheer momentum.

I think that if Gore campaigns the way he campaigned against Bush, he'll lose soundly. McCain in 2000 is one of the rare candidates that has some crossover appeal.

Gore could beat McCain, but I'm honestly not sure how a contest like that would go. Some conservatives might not vote - but really, only a very few are going to stay home because of Bush brand loyalty.

Edit - I just found this quote - from this article - http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/politics/national/features/1634/index1.html

The other fact is if McCain is the Republic Candidate then I think you see a swing from the right of the Republicans to vote for Reform candidate Pat Buchcanan.

IIRC the voter turnout was considerably low in 2000, especially among the faith-based community, as those were generally disappointed by the political elite after Monicagate and tended to see all politicans as unworth to be voted for. So it's just the average male middle-class WASP helping Bush beside the Florida case. In 2004, Bush convinced the faith-based community that he makes a considerably good Christ, thus he could mobilize at least as much formerly non-voters to the ballot as Kerry could. McCain is not as much known for being a reborn christ as Bush is, so McCain would have attracted more independent moderate voters who might rather let their hands get chopped than vote for Bush.

I think McCain would have had great chances for assuming presidency if the elephants had let him run.

McCain may have had that crossover appeal due to limited exposure to him. I would think he would wear on people over time, and I think Bush was able to win because of the enormous turnout of religious conservatives, who are not going to come out for McCain. That Giuliani is crushing him now, despite being thrice married (serving divorce papers to one of them while she was undergoing chemotherapy, and publicly parading around his mistress should be a pretty clear indicator of where McCain might have been in 2000 - and that's before he invested effort into wooing Christian conservatives.

I think Gore would probably have had a better chance against McCain than he did against Bush.

On the other hand, my POV might be colored by eight years of McCain having whored himself out to Bush.
Has McCain whored himself out top Bush, or is it mutual? I seem to recall several "McCainist" pieces of legislation being signed into law by George "Never saw a spending I didn't like" Bush.

Seriously though, who knows what might have happened for McCain with the right running mate?

Has McCain whored himself out top Bush, or is it mutual? I seem to recall several "McCainist" pieces of legislation being signed into law by George "Never saw a spending I didn't like" Bush.

Seriously though, who knows what might have happened for McCain with the right running mate?

Any ideas for a Running Mate for McCain, I guess has to be someone on the right, but not that mad!!!

A running mate in 2000? Jeez. Colin Powell? If he'd do it, that is.

I study more close-run election/primary campaigns, I'm afraid and aside from a brief opening this was not that except, perhaps, at a purely illusory level.

That said things certainly could have gone different.