Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Holland or Belgium? These countries are religiously mixed and small and historically developed
Possibly but these countries are far to stable and and I don’t think they have any major new religions movements. The best candidate I can think of actually is Russia they have had a quite tumultuous history as of recent and New Religious movements and neo paganism especially have been very successful in Russia. I know it breaks the rule I just established but in a civil war it wouldn’t be that hard for a decently sized new religious movement to gain some underpopulated part of rural Russia.

Was the oil shock of 73 the best moment to start the transition away from fossils energy ?
What if the shock lasted longer or more radical plans to end or limit oil dependency were implemented, would we be in a better place to fight climate change ?

None, because although in the First World War they came to the aid of Serbia, there was no alliance treaty between the two. The same can apply with the United Kingdom. As for its immediate neighbors, the most they had were non-aggression agreements or peace treaties and little else.
Is it possible the Russia Empire could have sat out WW1?

Maybe another Tsar on the Throne realises how weak the armed forces are? Or how impossible it is to defend Serbia? Or dislikes the odds?

What would be the consequences if the Russia did sit it out?

Maybe another Tsar on the Throne realises how weak the armed forces are? Or how impossible it is to defend Serbia? Or dislikes the odds?

Italy doesn't join, or joins the Central Powers. France is boned. War is over by 1916. With Italy out/in the CP camp and more or all of France under German occupation, US may observe stricter neutrality and threaten UK with war if trade is interrupted.

Based on what I've seen on this forum, I can predict the two most likely answers we'll get:

A) What Russia decides won't really matter, because even if the Tsar doesn't want war, Germany will attack anyway and try to carry out Generalplan Ost... because mumble mumble plunder-based German economics mumble mumble macroeconomic projections that Russia will surpass Germany in 10 years so we must destroy them now mumble.

Or

B) France will then declare that ALL Russian debt is IMMEDIATELY DUE unless Russia declares war on Germany. Which of course will result in the Russian government being so scared by the hypothetical financial problems this will cause... that they will decide it is preferable to overthrow the Tsar by force and drag the country into a catastrophic and absurdly destructive conflict, where obviously Its only role is to be the punching bag that distracts Germany, in the name of avoiding a hypothetical economic collapse.

Based on what I've seen on this forum, I can predict the two most likely answers we'll get:

A) What Russia decides won't really matter, because even if the Tsar doesn't want war, Germany will attack anyway and try to carry out Generalplan Ost... because mumble mumble plunder-based German economics mumble mumble macroeconomic projections that Russia will surpass Germany in 10 years so we must destroy them now mumble.

Or

B) France will then declare that ALL Russian debt is IMMEDIATELY DUE unless Russia declares war on Germany. Which of course will result in the Russian government being so scared by the hypothetical financial problems this will cause... that they will decide it is preferable to overthrow the Tsar by force and drag the country into a catastrophic and absurdly destructive conflict, where obviously Its only role is to be the punching bag that distracts Germany, in the name of avoiding a hypothetical economic collapse.
Wow, I hadn't considered B. A is implausible I believe because the German economy of 1914 was export based on chemicals and advanced technology and industry. Why war with Russia when you can sell them stuff?
B could lead to revolution in Russia even faster. Now instead of going to war to ostensibly protect Serbia, soldiers are suffering and dying and seeing their friends blown apart to satisfy the greed of French banks. And on top of that, against the wishes of the Tsar. Not good for morale or stability.

Wow, I hadn't considered B. A is implausible I believe because the German economy of 1914 was export based on chemicals and advanced technology and industry. Why war with Russia when you can sell them stuff?
B could lead to revolution in Russia even faster. Now instead of going to war to ostensibly protect Serbia, soldiers are suffering and dying and seeing their friends blown apart to satisfy the greed of French banks. And on top of that, against the wishes of the Tsar. Not good for morale or stability.
Normally A is, curiously, the only time when the "economic logic" you described ("Why go to war with them when I can sell them things?") doesn't apply.

Instead, two other assumptions are applied as usual here in the forum:

Either it's A2 ("We have to go to war against Russia to shut down their economy before they overtake us in 10 years and crush us, please ignore that these are just purely speculative projections made by people who have a vested interest in going to war against Russia for the reasons described in point A3").

Either it's A3 ("British propaganda about how Imperial Germany are 'Huns' and Nazis in Imperial uniforms is 100% true. So naturally they would go to war of aggression against Russia 'because we can, because they exist and are racially inferior ' because that's exactly what the Huns do."

As for B, yes, that would probably lead to an even faster revolution. But interestingly this could even be better for Russia, in the sense that the republican government could be quickly consolidated.

Since the only reason the Russians have gone to war is because the pro-France faction has overthrown (and surely assassinated) the Tsar, none of the revolutionaries would feel that "I need to continue the war to build credibility with the Entente"...

....because from their point of view the Entente first burned all bridges by promoting a coup and dragging Russia into the war against its will.

Given that the signals sent by Russia are that the new government is purging the pro-Entente faction as traitors to Russia and wants peace, it is likely that the Germans will even decide to suspend the operation "send Lenin to Russia"...

And This is assuming, of course, that the Entente doesn't decide to have another even bigger brain fart and order an Allied intervention in Russia...

...to install a puppet government and force the Russian Republic to continue the war against Germany.

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
Dystopian idea - a Christian Republic that restricts immigration to 1) members of “historically christian ethnicities” (obv. Most white peoples, maronites, nasrani malayalis, the yoruba*) 2) “proven” converts from ethnicities not part of 1) and actively creates a “floating citizenship” category for other religions, individuals suspected of being other religions or synvretists

*after decolonization

On the Russia in WW1 thing - if the Germans had rolled into France and taken Paris really early in WW1 could Russia have come to a peace with Germany and Austria without losing Ukraine etc as per Brest-Litvosk?

Would it have needed Nicholas II to be deposed first?

Actually, would France have surrendered if Paris had fallen in WW1? If they didn't would Russia keep going?

France fallen in early 1915, and Russia looking to make a deal, does Britain also start talking?

could a full lake Cahuilla help drought in south California? if south California didn't have the water from north California could it survive with a full lake cahuilla and desalnation plants?
it would be consistently filled with about half of the water from the colorado river and would go through laguana salanda and ill that as well then empty into the current place where the colorado empties also baja California is part of south california

Last edited:
On the Russia in WW1 thing - if the Germans had rolled into France and taken Paris really early in WW1 could Russia have come to a peace with Germany and Austria without losing Ukraine etc as per Brest-Litvosk?

Would it have needed Nicholas II to be deposed first?

Actually, would France have surrendered if Paris had fallen in WW1? If they didn't would Russia keep going?

France fallen in early 1915, and Russia looking to make a deal, does Britain also start talking?
Easily, there were multiple offers for an absolutely harmless peace in OTL. Even Brest-Litvosk came only into being because Trotsky literally stood up from the negotiation table and unilateraly declared peace, something never done before simply because he didn't want to be the one to sign a peace treaty that would relinquish anything.

The moment France is down for the count everyone starts talking and the likely best result - a negotiated peace - would end WW1.

How would I go about figuring out the size of the surface area of a Venus water world:
Venus-map-oceans-terraforming-e1599274786398.jpg

What's Qgis?
It's a program to handle GIS (Geographic Information System) data. GIS is vector (database/SQL) and raster (like a normal png or jpg) data to do a massive amount of things with applications ranging from government and utilities and military, to amateur mapmaking, to professional mapmaking, and more. There are many other programs around to handle GIS but I'm only familiar with QGIS.
Alternately, and this is probably faster, you could just use the length of lines in paint or paint.net to estimate the percent of water at each differential section of latitude. Then you'll have an estimated area of land. Multiply that by a factor to correct for the error from projection translating a globe to a flat rectangular map. The factor will be different for each differential section of latitude. Then add all your areas together and there you are, a total estimated area. It's probably faster than learning QGIS, but in my opinion it's more work and you'll develop no new skills.

Alternate history question: What would be the National anthem of 'Moroccan Arab Republic'

What song can be used if Nasserist officers attempted a coup and declared a republic in Morocco in 1970s. 'Walla Zaman es selahy' is one candidate but its too cliche. Is there any song which has a Moroccan character but which is anti-monarchy and which is used by Moroccan republicans(I know there are some fringe parties that advocate this).