Nascar ALT: Burnin' Rubber, Changing Gears

This is an alternate timeline of the 2001 Nascar Winston Cup Season in which we have a surviving Dale Earnhardt. I've searched for this but could not find it on this site. This starts at the 2001 Daytona 500 on the final lap.

----------

February 18th, 2001

It was the final turn, the final lap, and the first race of the season. Earnhardt saw his two cars leading the field in the biggest event of the year. As Sterling Marlin attempted a pass down low, Earnhardt went for the block. The rear of Earnhardt’s car clipped the front bumper of Marlin’s. The black #3 GM Goodwrench Chevrolet started to lose control. Miraculously, Earnhardt saved the car after brief contact with the #36 of Ken Schrader. Even though Dale Earnhardt wanted a top five finish, he would have to settle for 12th, but nonetheless, after the race he celebrated in victory lane with Michael Waltrip.

February 20th, 2001

Earnhardt’s car was randomly selected out of eight cars to be taken back to the R&D Inspection facility. It was there that Nascar discovered the weakened seatbelt. Richard Childress Racing was informed of this discovery as well as informing Dale Earnhardt. The three realized how close they were to certain tragedy that day. Both Richard Childress and Dale Earnhardt discussed the events and decided to reexamine all the cars they had built for the next few events. Finally, everything was ready for the next race at Rockingham.

February 25th – 26th, 2001

Earnhardt didn’t particularly qualify well coming into this event. He would start mid-pack for the race. During this race, fans started to notice a more cautious driving style from him. When his son Dale Earnhardt, Jr. crashed during the early running of this race, it was stated that Earnhardt asked his crew chief, “Make sure my son is alright, he is tough, but you never know what could happen out here on the track.” Sr. kept his car clean and finished the race in 10th position. He congratulated his driver Steve Park on a well-deserved victory as well as his ability to have held off a hard charging Bobby Labonte. Nascar once again selected the #3 Chevrolet for R&D Inspection, but this time everything went smoothly.

March 4th, 2001

At Las Vegas, Earnhardt was challenging hard to take the lead away from Dale Jarrett. Darrell Waltrip made a reference to the Dale and Dale showdown and compared how they seemed to always meet each other for the lead. Earnhardt led the most laps, but came off with a slow final pit stop and was able to finish third. After this race, Richard Childress made the decision to give Earnhardt a newly built racecar for the Atlanta event. The old racecar would be handed down to Kevin Harvick, a young rookie who would be making his first start of the year. The old car was repainted and renumbered with the #30 and backing from AOL.

March 11th, 2001

“It is a historic day in the world of Nascar,” cried Darrell Waltrip, “Can you believe it, I can’t believe it, this race was almost too close to call, I still don’t know who the winner is, but it’s for certain who definitely is celebrating.” The smoke from the burnout began to dissipate as the #30 AOL Chevrolet of Kevin Harvick emerged in victorious fashion. The side of the car was badly dented from heated side-by-side action between him and Dale Earnhardt in the closing laps. Harvick was able to nudge out Dale Earnhardt by .003 of a second to become the first driver in the history of Nascar to win in their first career start. An agitated Earnhardt was interviewed following post-race celebrations, “I got to thank the crew for the job well done that they did. I’m just disappointed that I got beat by my own car. This kid is good; I should have hired him when I had the chance [laughter]. Richard and I need to have a little talk.” Seriousness drained into the new points leaders face as he left the interview in search of Richard Childress.

Xen

Banned
I remember all too well the day NASCAR died. Seriously I dont think it would have gone into suck mode as fast as it did if The Intimidator lived, now I dont give a damn for it.

Good start though, NASCAR AH is hard to write, I tried with where Davey Allison lived and came to dominate the late ninties and incidentally saved Earnhardts life after losing control of his car the middle of the 2001 Daytona 500 and collecting Earnhardt with him.

But good stuff

Thanks Xen, and I completely agree with you on the state of Nascar. I decided to go ahead and post a bit more to this as I had a bit of free time. Hopefully this second part brings in a few scenarios that could possibly happen.
---------------------------

March 12th, 2001

“Richard!” shouted Earnhardt, “I know you want to put that kid in good equipment, but you got to remember he’s only running six more races this season, why give him the best we have?”
“Dale, I want you to listen to me. I know you are competitive, you have that passion, and you are a proven champion, but there comes a day when you must look at your accomplishments and say you had a good run,” said Richard Childress, “It’s time to sit back and enjoy life. You could have been seriously injured at Daytona, and you are not as young as you used to be, it would have been harder for you to recover. You are my friend Dale; I don’t want to see you hurt.”

March 18th, 2001

“Crash on the front straightaway!” shouted an announcer, “Multi-car accident, looks as if Terry Labonte is involved, Mike Skinner, and Dale Earnhardt. Caution is out, the leaders race back to the line. It looks as if something is going on down at the front straightaway. Teammates Dale Earnhardt and Mike Skinner seem to be having a discussion. Mike Skinner limps away; he may be hurt. The ambulance crew is directing Earnhardt to the care center. This is definitely not what the point’s leader needed.”

March 25th, 2001

“Welcome to Bristol Motor Speedway, where every lap presents a battle. Speaking of which, there may be some tension in the RCR camp as last week we saw teammates Dale Earnhardt and Mike Skinner tangle. They seemed to have a few choice words with each other,” Allen Bestwick reported. “Now guys, I’ve called this meeting to remind you to keep it clean out there. This is Bristol and we know tempers can flare here. I want you two to go out there and race; you guys are teammates,” Richard Childress said to his two drivers Mike Skinner and Dale Earnhardt.
“Caution, Skinner around! Many cars are involved, Mark Martin, Ken Schrader, Rick Mast, Mike Wallace, Buckshot Jones, Todd Bodine, it looks as if Dale Earnhardt, Jr. is involved as well, Davey Blaney barely squeezes by as well as a few others. Folks this is a mess, we’ll be back after commercial break to clear everything up.”
“Welcome Back race fans, in what appears to be retaliation, Dale Earnhardt has caused a multi-car accident when he got into teammate Mike Skinner, which collected at least seven other drivers. Nascar has black flagged Earnhardt for aggressive driving; he will be placed two laps down.”
After the race, Nascar called Mike Skinner, Richard Childress, and Dale Earnhardt to the Nascar hauler.
“I told you guys not to wreck each other!” Richard shouted.
“I was trying to pass him, and Skinner kept cutting me off. Tell Mike to quit brake checking me under caution,” Earnhardt sternly told Childress.
“You wrecked me, no ifs, ands, or buts about it, you intentionally did that Earnhardt. I don’t want to hear that you were just trying to ‘Rattle My Cage.’ That was a cowardly act and you know it,” Skinner lashed out.

April 1st – April 3rd, 2001

“When do you know of anytime this has happened?” The announcer said during the television broadcast, “The son wins the pole, but the father claims the victory. Lets’ go down and get an interview from your race winner, Dale Earnhardt, who also reclaims the points lead. What’s this; it appears the #31 of Mike Skinner has parked in front Dale Earnhardt! Mike Skinner gets out of his racecar and goes over to Earnhardt’s. It appears they are having a bit of a conversation, and suddenly Dale begins to roll forward, just nudging the rear end of his teammates’ car. I would say Richard Childress has a lot on his hands with these two.” [laughter within the booth]
“Richard, you have got to do something with Earnhardt. He nearly wrecked me during that race too,” Mike Skinner said to Richard Childress.
“Now Mike, I saw a clean race, you are the one who pulled up in front of him after the race was over with,” Richard Childress replied.
“He rode my rear for a full two laps before he put me a lap down,” exclaimed Skinner.

April 8th, 2001

“Dale Jarrett pulls out a victory here at Martinsville and reclaims the points lead one week after losing it to Dale Earnhardt. Fifteen points separate him and Earnhardt.”

Interesting. Although, if the extensive safety concerns that followed the death of the legend are butterflied away, then I fear for the lives of Mike Skinner, Steve Park, Jerry Nadeau, and Jeff Purvis. Remember, the years before Earnhardt's death were particularly morbid; the sport seemed to lose a guy at the top level every year. John Nemechek, Kenny Irwin, Adam Petty...

On a lighter note, I wonder if Earnhardt will be able to prevent the introduction of the Chase, or as most Nascar fans know it, that part of the season where we hand the championship to Jimmie Johnson. Of course, if that doesn't happen because Matt Kenseth's 2003 championship is butterflied away, I'm required to give you a ":mad:."

Also interested in seeing how Dale Jr. and Kevin Harvick's careers develop. Not a huge Jr. fan; I like the Fords (see above), but it is a shame the way Hendrick used Jr's popularity for profit while putting him in crap. (I'm not a random Hendrick basher, either, though it may seem that way. I generally respect Gordon and Johnson, even if I don't root for them.)