No Schwerer Gustav - white elephant

Krupp appears to have presented German Army with a free siege cannon and the Germans then appear to have ordered another one .

The things sucked up huge amounts of resources both , men and material and railway space .
To move it took 25 wagon loads , to assemble 4000 men and it needed special rail lines to be laid
M
The train, 25 cars long, included gondolas, special flat cars, accessory cars, ammunition cars, and two cranes for emplacing the gun. The probable route taken was through southern Poland to the Ukraine, using the rail links between captured cities. Along the way in the Ukraine the gun was transported on the new German railway built from the Ukraine to the Crimean isthmus.

What if it was never built . What impact would it have had , a difficult one to quantify as the men and material saved could have been used for a variety of tasks.

More interestingly how would it have impacted on the siege of Sevastspol also on the retreat from Stalingrad not evacuating the monstrosity that was Dora would have perhaps saved more troops .

Schwerer Gustav
In February 1942, Heavy Artillery Unit (E) 672 reorganised and went on the march, and Schwerer Gustav began its long ride to Crimea. The train carrying the gun was of 25 cars, a total length of 1.5 kilometres (0.9 mi). The gun reached the Perekop Isthmus in early March 1942, where it was held until early April. The Germans built a special railway spur line to the Simferopol-Sevastopol railway 16 kilometres (9.9 mi) north of the target. At the end of the spur, they built four semi-circular tracks especially for the Gustav to traverse. Outer tracks were required for the cranes that assembled Gustav.

The siege of Sevastopol was the gun's first combat test. 4,000 men and five weeks were needed to get the gun in firing position; 500 men were needed to fire it.[7] Installation began in early May, and by the 5th of June the gun was ready to fire.[8] The following targets were engaged:

5 June
Coastal guns at a range of 25,000 m. Eight shells fired.
Fort Stalin. Six shells fired.
6 June
Fort Molotov. Seven shells fired.
"White Cliff" also known as "Ammunition Mountain": an undersea ammunition magazine in Severnaya ("Northern") Bay. The magazine was sited 30 metres under the sea with at least 10 metres of concrete protection. After nine shells were fired, the magazine was ruined and one of the boats in the bay sunk.[9]
7 June
Firing in support of an infantry attack on Südwestspitze, an outlying fortification. Seven shells fired.
11 June
Fort Siberia knocked out of action. Five shells fired.
17 June
Maxim Gorky Fortresses bombarded. Maxim Gorky 1 knocked out of action, Maxim Gorky 2 damaged. Five shells fired.
By the end of the siege on 4 July the city of Sevastopol lay in ruins, and 30,000 tons of artillery ammunition had been fired. Gustav had fired 48 rounds and worn out its original barrel, which had already fired around 250 rounds during testing and development. The gun was fitted with the spare barrel and the original was sent back to Krupp's factory in Essen for relining.[10]

The gun was then dismantled and moved to the northern part of the eastern front, where an attack was planned on Leningrad. The gun was placed 30 km (18.6 mi) from the city near the railway station of Taytsy. The gun was fully operational when the attack was cancelled. The gun then spent the winter of 1942/43 near Leningrad.[11]

Dora

Maxim Gorky I, a fort knocked out of action by five 800 mm shells on 17 June 1942

Model in the Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr
Dora was the second gun produced. It was deployed briefly against Stalingrad, where the gun arrived at its emplacement 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) to the west of the city sometime in mid-August 1942.[citation needed] It was ready to fire on 13 September. It was withdrawn when Soviet forces threatened to encircle the German forces. When the Germans began their long retreat they took Dora with them.

Last edited:
I doubt the changes caused by this weapon not being built would be noticeable in terms of invested men and material. it was clearly a waste, but the percentage it represented in terms of what Germany was generating is so small it disappears in the rounding errors.

I would really like to see the old ww1 era guns being brought out for the sieges in the East. I don't have for numbers after the Great war but during the war seems like germany had a lot of railway guns and siege artillery [RIngKanones included ] , using them would have been a lot cheaper than building new ones.

How many such guns would have been brought to the East for the price of Dora and Gustav ?

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/railway_gun/ I'm sure germans captured some other smaller caliber French ones as well

Last edited:

Deleted member 94680

I would really like to see the old ww1 era guns being brought out for the sieges in the East.
All the German ones were destroyed after WWI as part of the Versailles restrictions.

Deleted member 94680

Even the obsolete pre1914 ones ? granted they would be of marginal usefulness
I can’t say for certain but I’m pretty sure it was either no artillery over a certain calibre, or no artillery at all.

Just checked, it’s nothing larger than a 10.5cm howitzer. Which they were limited to 84 of

I can’t say for certain but I’m pretty sure it was either no artillery over a certain calibre, or no artillery at all.

Just checked, it’s nothing larger than a 10.5cm howitzer. Which they were limited to 84 of
Thats sad and it was probably destroyed than sold to other nations
WOuld love to see some of these artillery pieces today

Deleted member 94680

Thats sad and it was probably destroyed than sold to other nations
Sad? It’s giant siege artillery belonging to a defeated Great Power that had lost the most destructive War to date. Not Aunt Sally’s fine china plate set.

A lot of the German materiel destroyed in line with the Treaty was done so by the Entente and Germany was billed for it. Germany wasn’t allowed to sell it for profits.
Would love to see some of these artillery pieces today
Plenty of photos doing the rounds.

nbcman

Donor
I would really like to see the old ww1 era guns being brought out for the sieges in the East. I don't have for numbers after the Great war but during the war seems like germany had a lot of railway guns and siege artillery [RIngKanones included ] , using them would have been a lot cheaper than building new ones.

How many such guns would have been brought to the East for the price of Dora and Gustav ?

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/railway_gun/ I'm sure germans captured some other smaller caliber French ones as well
The Nazis did seize some old Skoda 30.5 cm howitzers from WW1 when they occupied Bohemia as well as Yugoslavia which they used in the East. There are some of those old howitzers in museums to this day:

Today, four weapons survive; an M.11 is in Rovereto, Italy (Museo Storico Italiano della Guerra), a second is displayed in Belgrade's Military Museum and a third is in Bucharest National Military Museum, Romania, along with the only surviving M.16.

Sad? It’s giant siege artillery belonging to a defeated Great Power that had lost the most destructive War to date. Not Aunt Sally’s fine china plate set.

A lot of the German materiel destroyed in line with the Treaty was done so by the Entente and Germany was billed for it. Germany wasn’t allowed to sell it for profits.

Plenty of photos doing the rounds.

Not Aunt Sally’s fine china plate set.

Who wants to see fine china plate sets ?
I meant Entente selling it ofcourse or preserving some in museums, not the same as photos on the net