Of lost monkeys and broken vehicles

Guess the likelihood Finland will be a "People's Democracy" ITTL has increased.
tbf isn't the fall of sortavala similar to otl? If Stalin wants to take over Germany if things go as per otl I think the Soviets would do something similar and Finland would be a forcibly neutral country as per otl.

Also seeing the Greek movements are very nice, and the similarity between WWI and WWII definitely feels a lot more prominent than in otl. The breaking of the Germans is once again through the Greeks.

PS I really do wonder how the ME would end up with how different ittl is compared to otl in the Alawite state and the Kurds and assyrians being important players...

Guess the likelihood Finland will be a "People's Democracy" ITTL has increased.
tbf isn't the fall of sortavala similar to otl? If Stalin wants to take over Germany if things go as per otl I think the Soviets would do something similar and Finland would be a forcibly neutral country as per otl.
You beat me to it. The Finns were in a very bad place in OTL just before the armistice too, and they were still able to get something that preserved their independence, kept the territorial losses at a minimum, and the reparations at a reasonable level. The fact that the Soviets still needed those troops elsewhere and that truly compelling the Finns to surrender would be costly in time and blood plays for them.

There will still be a cost for the Finns not signing peace when their position was stronger, of course, but the cost of it would be Finlandization, heavier reparations, and maybe Viipuri and Petsamo, we'd have to wait and see, when they might have gotten a near statu quo ante bellum territorially speaking and fairly light economic consequences, as well as no diplomatic restrictions, had they signed when it was still time.

You beat me to it. The Finns were in a very bad place in OTL just before the armistice too, and they were still able to get something that preserved their independence, kept the territorial losses at a minimum, and the reparations at a reasonable level. The fact that the Soviets still needed those troops elsewhere and that truly compelling the Finns to surrender would be costly in time and blood plays for them.

There will still be a cost for the Finns not signing peace when their position was stronger, of course, but the cost of it would be Finlandization, heavier reparations, and maybe Viipuri and Petsamo, we'd have to wait and see, when they might have gotten a near statu quo ante bellum territorially speaking and fairly light economic consequences, as well as no diplomatic restrictions, had they signed when it was still time.

I mean the reason OTL the Finns didn’t accept was that the Soviets wanted an extreme amount of reparations. I imagine it was turned down for a similar reason ITTL.

What I find surprising is that the Germans aren’t helping yet. The Finn’s asked OTL before Viipuri even fell, I don’t see why that would have changed at all. Sure the Germans aren’t doing great but I don’t see why they’d be unable to help as much as OTL.

"The breaking of the Germans is once again through the Greeks." In OTL WW1? That is not the case. The Serbs took Dobro Pole and opened the front. The Greeks and Brits were checked at Dioran.

Too late now to change much but the efficiency of the Luftwaffe will increase slightly.
Considering the circumstances I think Germany would go down the same route as otl then too, considering the players and the composition of the different armies.

I wonder where the line between soviet and American control would be, but considering that the main difference is in the Balkans the Soviets are very likely to take most of what he got in otl anyways. I just hope that the allies manage to get Pomerania.

In July 1944, the Soviets have taken Viipuri and reached Lake Saimaa... and the Finnish army is still fighting at the river Svir?

The Finnish military leadership has really failed at withdrawing troops from Eastern Karelia ITTL. I wonder why, IOTL they started the withdrawal in June. Here they should have put the withdrawal in high gear at the very latest when Viipuri was just getting threatened.

So I could see him holding the West Bank plus the other parts of that area in the UN agreement, but the Israelis also kicking the Egyptians out of Gaza since they’re better trained this time.
I think this makes the most sense to me as a likely outcome. Yes, the Israelis will be stronger, but so will “Greater Syria,” and like I said before Abdullah has an obligation to try and protect Levantine Arabs so he cannot stay out of the war if Egypt gets involved. As a side note, I doubt the UAR ever forms ITTL as Syria and Egypt will quickly become rivals over being leaders of the Arabs until SA has its inevitable rise to power on oil money.

I think this makes the most sense to me as a likely outcome. Yes, the Israelis will be stronger, but so will “Greater Syria,” and like I said before Abdullah has an obligation to try and protect Levantine Arabs so he cannot stay out of the war if Egypt gets involved. As a side note, I doubt the UAR ever forms ITTL as Syria and Egypt will quickly become rivals over being leaders of the Arabs until SA has its inevitable rise to power on oil money.
We may not even have Natural Syria since the Alawite state is still present ittl. Abdullah probably won't even take over what's left of Syria, and I think the fall out of WWII would still make the thoughts of a Pan-Arab state be present in a lot of Arab nations tho. Maybe we see a Jordan-Syria-Iraq state?

1. Interesting result of the Stauffenberg incident.
2. Ouch, the Fins are getting smashed.
I would note myself there is a third possibly interesting departure from OTL here...
Ehm not quite... OTL you did not have Sortavala falling to an army marching from the Karelian isthmus...
Also seeing the Greek movements are very nice, and the similarity between WWI and WWII definitely feels a lot more prominent than in otl. The breaking of the Germans is once again through the Greeks.
The armies in the Western front might have a few choice words to say about this TTL. Never mind 6.5 million Soviets in the Eastern front this time round. But I would short of expect the Greeks to have... shall we say a lot of self-confidence TTL?
PS I really do wonder how the ME would end up with how different ittl is compared to otl in the Alawite state and the Kurds and assyrians being important players...
That remains to be seen...

The Finns were in a very bad place in OTL but at least the had managed to fight the Soviet offensive to a standstill which saved them from worse, like unconditional surrender. Which the Soviets might or might not had aimed for, but certainly wouldn't mind.
I mean the reason OTL the Finns didn’t accept was that the Soviets wanted an extreme amount of reparations. I imagine it was turned down for a similar reason ITTL.
And the belief false or otherwise that the Soviet communication during the battle talking of surrender meant an unconditional one.
What I find surprising is that the Germans aren’t helping yet. The Finn’s asked OTL before Viipuri even fell, I don’t see why that would have changed at all. Sure the Germans aren’t doing great but I don’t see why they’d be unable to help as much as OTL.
Aren't doing great is an euphemism here. I'd note the Finnish offensive here comes AFTER Bagration has begun, and with all out attacks against the Gothic line and in the Balkans...
Too late now to change much but the efficiency of the Luftwaffe will increase slightly.
Wever likely goes on to running the show...

Yes maybe an more rational management of resources for the last part of the war (instead of, for example, Bodenplatte). But akin to rearrange the Titanic deck chairs...

More or less. The United Nations have overwhelming superiority by this point.
In July 1944, the Soviets have taken Viipuri and reached Lake Saimaa... and the Finnish army is still fighting at the river Svir?

The Finnish military leadership has really failed at withdrawing troops from Eastern Karelia ITTL. I wonder why, IOTL they started the withdrawal in June. Here they should have put the withdrawal in high gear at the very latest when Viipuri was just getting threatened.
In OTL the Finns were actually expecting the offensive to come on the Svir. They were taken by surprise when it hit on the Karelian isthmus but at least the second offensive on the Svir came 15 days later giving them sufficient time to shift forces from the Svir to the Karelian isthmus. Here the delay from the fighting in Anatolia means the Sofiets actually hit both fronts simultaneusly, My expectation is puling out forces from the Svir in the face of a full scale offensive is much more difficult compared to doing the same while the front is quiet. Plus there is likely at least some delay in realising the main danger is the Karelian isthmus, after all the attack on the Svir plays into the Finnish expectations.
I wonder how much pressure is the Yugoslavian government is putting on the Allies to liberate it's territory..
Quite a bit I'd expect... but the Allies are trying to do exactly this at the moment so there shouldn't be much reason to complain about...
This largely depends on what happens to Syria early after the war. But Abdullah will be under very strong public pressure to fight Israel I think.
We may not even have Natural Syria since the Alawite state is still present ittl. Abdullah probably won't even take over what's left of Syria, and I think the fall out of WWII would still make the thoughts of a Pan-Arab state be present in a lot of Arab nations tho. Maybe we see a Jordan-Syria-Iraq state?
We have an Alawite state as long as it is not ehm liberated by Damascus. Of course depending on circumstances the French army may have a word or two to say about this...

An Alawite state or a Small Lebanon(i.e mostly Christian) -Alewite federal state would be perfect for the French, as it could provide them with a reliable naval base and position in the East Med. I for one, barring absolute Lebanese Christian stupidity, which was the case historically though, can see it happening. Greece might like a French presence on the ME as a counter-balance to US snd UK influence.

I would note myself there is a third possibly interesting departure from OTL here...
I think this is in reference to Mandel? I don’t know much about the man but I could see him becoming a leader of the “Third Force” in France. I’m not sure that would stop the fall of The Fourth Republic and the rise of Gaullism but it certainly couldn’t hurt.

And the belief false or otherwise that the Soviet communication during the battle talking of surrender meant an unconditional one.
Well, I wouldn’t be surprised if, especially with the Soviets in a weaker position in the Balkans, this turns out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

An Alawite state or a Small Lebanon(i.e mostly Christian) -Alewite federal state would be perfect for the French, as it could provide them with a reliable naval base and position in the East Med. I for one, barring absolute Lebanese Christian stupidity, which was the case historically though, can see it happening. Greece might like a French presence on the ME as a counter-balance to US snd UK influence.
Small Lebanon would be arguably far more stable than the actual one we've got. The only question is how we get in 1945 from the existing Greater Lebanon back to a Mount Lebanon state.
I think this is in reference to Mandel? I don’t know much about the man but I could see him becoming a leader of the “Third Force” in France. I’m not sure that would stop the fall of The Fourth Republic and the rise of Gaullism but it certainly couldn’t hurt.
I do not feel Mandel had the character to lead himself. But when following someone else he had proven time and again his abilities.

Small Lebanon would be arguably far more stable than the actual one we've got. The only question is how we get in 1945 from the existing Greater Lebanon back to a Mount Lebanon state.

I do not feel Mandel had the character to lead himself. But when following someone else he had proven time and again his abilities.
I do agree that Mandel isn’t really the leader type. He is an excellent and skilled subordinate.

As for how to make greater Lebanon back into Mount Lebanon, I’m not sure that specifically is possible. That said I could see Lebanon cutting a deal with Abdullah if he does end up taking Syria. Why fight against a bunch of Christians with western backing if they’ll give you what you want for free. He wants access to the Mediterranean, they want independence. I could see a deal happening where a route from Syria to the southern portion of greater Lebanon being ceded in exchange for peace. Maybe Sidon stays in Lebanon. Maybe some of the more Muslim eastern portions are ceded as well. Throw in a voluntary peaceful population swap. “Lesser Greater Lebanon” doesn’t exactly roll of the tongue but seems achievable.

A larger small Lebanon which goes further up the coast to include Alawite areas of Syria but not the Beqaa Valley and other areas east of Mount Lebanon would probaly be a viable state.

Ehm not quite... OTL you did not have Sortavala falling to an army marching from the Karelian isthmus...
The Finns were in a very bad place in OTL but at least the had managed to fight the Soviet offensive to a standstill which saved them from worse, like unconditional surrender. Which the Soviets might or might not had aimed for, but certainly wouldn't mind.
Aren't doing great is an euphemism here. I'd note the Finnish offensive here comes AFTER Bagration has begun, and with all out attacks against the Gothic line and in the Balkans...
Well, I wouldn’t be surprised if, especially with the Soviets in a weaker position in the Balkans, this turns out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.
tbf it would be interesting if we got a communist Finland instead of a neutral Finland, things would be very interesting if we did get an expanded Finland due to this, with Karelia being given to them as a way to please the communists and common people who would've been terrified of Soviet domination originally.
The armies in the Western front might have a few choice words to say about this TTL. Never mind 6.5 million Soviets in the Eastern front this time round. But I would short of expect the Greeks to have... shall we say a lot of self-confidence TTL?
A more assertive greece is a greece that's more fun. With Ionia and Cyprus under their belt Greece should be a lot stronger and be able to exert themselves in regions like the Middle East. I'd think that they'd be more able to use their gas reserves in the Aegean and Ionian seas I think they'd have an outsized impact compared to their size.
tbf a federal state between the Alawites and Lebanon would allay a lot of the concerns of the state. It'd mean that the Christians and the Alawites in the state would balance each other out and dominate the rest of the Muslims in the country, for better or for worse.

It would be a weird state that works to keep themselves running and prevent Ba'athists from coming in to take over the nation.
We have an Alawite state as long as it is not ehm liberated by Damascus. Of course depending on circumstances the French army may have a word or two to say about this...
I do think the French would help the Alawites to continue fighting by shipping them weapons and ammo, and the navies of France and Greece would help the alawites too, especially if the Alawites and French ask for thier help.

I think the Greek intervention in the civil war wouldn't be that great due to the Yugoslavia situation. Greece would have some hard fighting to do post war.
As for how to make greater Lebanon back into Mount Lebanon, I’m not sure that specifically is possible. That said I could see Lebanon cutting a deal with Abdullah if he does end up taking Syria. Why fight against a bunch of Christians with western backing if they’ll give you what you want for free. He wants access to the Mediterranean, they want independence. I could see a deal happening where a route from Syria to the southern portion of greater Lebanon being ceded in exchange for peace. Maybe Sidon stays in Lebanon. Maybe some of the more Muslim eastern portions are ceded as well. Throw in a voluntary peaceful population swap. “Lesser Greater Lebanon” doesn’t exactly roll of the tongue but seems achievable.
I think Lebanon losing tyre would be better considering that its less land and that there would be more Muslims in the nation percentage wise due to the annexations. I would prefer a federal state that is basically French quasi colonies that don't want Arab domination though, it is an interesting concept that would include alexandretta under the Alawites when Syria is divided due to the Alawite majority there (that wouldn't have been chased out due to the Turks) and would be a potential flash point as it is under the Syrian sanjak in otl, and the Armenians would like to join a state that isn't discriminatory to them due to the Marionite Christians.
I do agree that Mandel isn’t really the leader type. He is an excellent and skilled subordinate.
tbf I could see Mandel helping a rising star by making his policies make sense and the such, and start a serious faction against gaullism.