Rough draft of "Crazy Days" ATL.

Well, besides allowing women to work on the assembly line, or as a member of the armed services, there will certainly be the emergence of a new seductive female role. This could be in the role of a "femme fatale" like Jane Fonda or Raquel Welch. This could come out of the "bombshell" pinups of the period such as Bo Derek or Marilyn Chambers. Just remember in OTL, Marilyn Monroe and Eva Gardner emerged as the preeminant stars of the period. Images of Bo Derek or Farah Fawcett in a topless "neutron" might be some of the most popular images of the period.

In OTL, there was a fair amount of tension between the military and PRI in Mexico. In my ATL, I was thinking of having this spiral out of control, to the point where a coup occurs and Civil War breaks out by the early 1950's. What POD could result in this? How long could such a war last? How would the resulting refugee-crisis effect the Civil Rights movement and attitudes towards immigration in general? Would the border patrol be given emergency powers?

Last edited:
Pete Hernández is charged with murdering another Mexican American, and the case is argued by lawyer Gus García of the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC). In January 1954, he successfully appeals the conviction to the U.S. Supreme Court on the grounds that Mexican Americans are excluded from serving on juries in Texas, making it impossible for them to gain a fair trial before a jury of their peers. (In the ATL, what if the situation turns into a Scottsboro style lynching)

Public Law 78 renews the Bracero program (begun in 1942), bringing an average of 350,000 temporary Mexican workers per year to the United States for the next 13 years. ( In the ATL, it is more likely th elaw would have been overturned in the light of refugees)

J. Edgar Hoover orders FBI agents to collect evidence that would justify listing the Asociación Nacional México-Americana (ANMA) as a security threat under the Internal Security Act of 1950. Despite an appeal, ANMA is listed as a subversive organization, and many members are deported. (This is a great POD that would certainly point to bad things for people in the ATL)

The U.S. Immigration Service arrests and deports over 3.8 million persons of Mexican descent during Operation Wetback (which continues until 1958). Many U.S. citizens are deported unfairly, including political activist Luisa Moreno and other Mexican-American leaders. (Just try to imagine a POD wherein the numbers are doubled in the ATL)

The League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) ends the segregation of Mexican-American prisoners at the Texas State Prison in Huntsville.(In the ATL, this could have been the start of the Huntsville Prison Riots)

The Asociación Nacional México-Americana (ANMA) unsuccessfully appeals to the United Nations Commission on Human Rights to investigate the status of Mexican agricultural workers (You could have the sam eappeal brought before the League of Nations for a similar POD in the ATL)

Alfredo Montoya, president of the Asociación Nacional México-Americana (ANMA), is accused of being a member of the Communist party and is investigated by the House Un-American Activities Committee and the Senate Subversive Activities board; he is not found guilty. (In the ATL, try to imagine a guilty verdict by HUAC)

The highest number of Mexican workers enter the United States under the Bracero program, peaking at 450,000 by the end of this year. (Just change Bracero to refugee, and you have another POD for the ATL)

The Mexican American Political Association (MAPA) is formed to endorse candidates, register voters, and implement voter education programs.

Rock-and-Roll stars Ritchie Valens (Ritchie Valenzuela) and Buddy Holly are killed in a plane crash.

Mexican Americans are instrumental in John F. Kennedy's narrow victory in the presidential election. At 43, Kennedy becomes the youngest man ever elected president and the first Roman Catholic to hold this office.

San Antonio, Texas, is the first large southern city to integrate lunch counters. The city had previously integrated schools, buses, parks, and pools.

Here's another thought:

In OTL, Brazil is a left-leaning nation. We know that in this ATL, there are two Right-wing superpowers, both of which will almost surely tilt Brazil to the right (perhaps even creating a Catholic Religious Right). What may be the long-term consequences of this? Could the 1964 coup be averted?

Here's a (possible) map of the ATL, circa. 1964. I'm trying to come up with PODS that will allow Africa and Latin America to look like they do in it:

Crazy 60's.GIF

Straha

Banned
it would be funny if you can make Eugene McCarthy/Hubert Humphrey right win politicians and make one VP/attorney general in tihs TL

One thing that I don't understand about those maps showing each country's system of government - what does it mean when the country is filled with a color that shows one system of government, but has a little symbol in it for a completely different system of government?

Paul Spring said:
One thing that I don't understand about those maps showing each country's system of government - what does it mean when the country is filled with a color that shows one system of government, but has a little symbol in it for a completely different system of government?

Oh, it means that country either has a weak government, is gradually changing into another government (Canada is becoming a Autocracy for instance), or has a combination of two different types of government (Saudi Arabia for instance is both a theocracy and a monarchy; the ISSR is both a Communist state and a Autocracy under Ill Duce).

Last edited:
SurfNTurfStraha said:
it would be funny if you can make Eugene McCarthy/Hubert Humphrey right win politicians and make one VP/attorney general in tihs TL

That's actually a good idea. But it I don't think it will fit what I have planned for this ATL. I think I'll save that for the Crazy Days: The World Turned Upside Down ATL I'll be making after this. Although Eugene as kind of an Ashcroft-analogue might be possible…

Straha

Banned
POTUS P.Diffin said:
That's actually a good idea. But it I don't think it will fit what I have planned for this ATL. I think I'll save that for the Crazy Days: The World Turned Upside Down ATL I'll be making after this. Although Eugene as kind of an Ashcroft-analogue might be possible…

cool! I'm going to do a reworked version of my ATL but with a different cold war drom the start.

I'd like to hear some of you have planned for it...

Sure, here are a few things I'm thinking of adding to this ATL:

A Right-wing Junta Germany emerging after the government there collapses during the War.

An Ultra-nationalist Neo-Babylon emerging (Syria, Iraq, and other nations combined).

A War on Terror & Rogue Regimes occurring in the 1980's (OTL's WTO on steroids).

President Zell Miller in a 1995 speech condemning what he calls an "Axis of Evil": Resurrected Russia, Neo-Babylon, and Greater Indonesia.

Revised POTUS List:

Harry S. Truman (D, 1945-1955)
Richard M. Nixon (R, 1955-1961)
Jack P. Kennedy (R, 1961-1973)
Hubert H. Humphrey (D, 1973-1979)
Ronald Reagan (R, 1979-1991)
Zell Miller (D, 1991-2003)

Note: Eisenhower may or may not get elected president. But if he does, he will die of a heart attack.

Last edited:

Straha

Banned
POTUS P.Diffin said:
Sure, here are a few things I'm thinking of adding to this ATL:

A Right-wing Junta Germany emerging after the government there collapses during the War.

An Ultra-nationalist Neo-Babylon emerging (Syria, Iraq, and other nations combined).

A War on Terror & Rogue Regimes occurring in the 1980's (OTL's WTO on steroids).

President Zell Miller in a 1995 speech condemning what he calls an "Axis of Evil": Resurrected Russia, Neo-Babylon, and Greater Indonesia.

oooh nice and evil

Straha

Banned
i'll try to work in Neo-babylon,junta germany and in my own twist.... the second golden horde(indonesia will be collapsing in civl war at this time)

Straha

Banned
POTUS P.Diffin said:
Oh, that's nothing compared to the other Crazy Days ATL I'm making after this.
hehehe I'm thinking of doing more for all strange days ATLs too soon. I've ditched the idea of a mexican/yucatan union with the USA in my odd 20th century TL.

Hey Everyone! Can't We All Just Get Along? (LOL)

Well here are some other PODs that could be important to the ATL:
-Dean Cain ("Adventures of Lois and Clark") was slated to play for the 1993 Buffalo Bills, until a sports injury forced him into acting
-Bob Kerry in 1965, before his tour of duty in Vietnam formed a garage rock band with friends, but eventually went into politics
-The Empire State Building in 1936, was originally slated as a docking port for zeppelins and blimps, unfortunately the Hindenburg disaster killed the charm of that idea.
-George Bush Sr., played on the Harvard baseball team, eventually meeting his idol Babe Ruth in 1941 during an exhibition match.
- Walt Disney and Charlie Chaplin met in 1941 to discuss the creation of animated shorts based on Chaplin's "Little Tramp" character
-Walt Disney met with Salvador Dali in 1948, to discuss the creation of "Destino" which would have been an animated salute to Dali's surreal art

Straha

Banned
well some nice ideas I might use in For All Strange Days 2 an an odd 2th century 2:a world gone wrong