Slow Drift to War Europe 1984

Unfortunately its not pleasure, my computer crashed and I am getting a replacement but it also took out my rewrites so it will take a little time to put things back together again.

I am researching and writing a PhD thesis. I have 5 different hard drives for backup, two for on research trips with one attached backing up hourly one at the lodging backed up daily, 3 at home backed up right before and after trips and also weekly. A 1TB plug in for backup is cheap, loss of data is "expensive". Sorry to hear your problem...

I could have I just forgot to back it up the most recent work I was doing. The computer was working fine and suddenly it just stopped working. So rather than spend the money fixing the power supply I bought a new computer.

What I was doing was a continuity check of chapter 12 thru 19 and cleaning them up. So about ninety five percent of the story was backed it just the latest adjustments, modifications and tightening up of the storyline

6AM Boston Ma The police and Railroad executives were breathing a sigh of relief since as one of them pointed out that the train that had been blown up had already unloaded its cargo so all they had to move was railroad cars and engines. Someone had to tell the president that terrorists had attacked blown up tracks in Boston and one of the rail routes into Boston had been disrupted if only for a few days. The crews were already hard at it an Army officer had told the workers that if the commies chose this time to cross the border the Army would be short of men, material and equipment. The betting money was that a team of commie saboteurs had blown the tracks and men were coming in from all over New England giving up their fourth of July to make sure the boys in Europe got their equipment and supplies on time.

8am Pentagon The request that the 116th Infantry brigade readied to move the Europe as well an Independent battalion of Armor. Along with the request came a brief explanation. Also there was a request on the what plans the Pentagon had for the 35th.

Ronald Reagan looked around the table at his assembled staff and he was not happy. **So no one has any idea just who blew up the railroad tracks in Boston other than it must be some radical group.** The rest of the room went silent then the head of the FBI who did not normally sit in on meetings of the NSC looked directly at the president and he replied, **Mr. President, I can understand why your upset, the security of the United States is threatened and our boys in Europe could be the ones left holding the bag. But the truth is that is the best we can answer at this time. We will investigate and see what we find but I believe that an announcement that the rail lines into Boston were sabotaged causing a train derailment needs to be made before all sorts of wild rumors start up. **

Then his Chief of Staff for the White House looked up from a message that had been hand delivered to him, ** It’s too late someone called a talk radios show and he just announced that the People Army of the Radical Front for Democratic Action, blew up the fascist armed trains in Boston.** The general reaction in the room was, **Shit.** For moment there was a burst of everyone talking while no one was listening. The President Reagan shouted, **Everyone shut up.** Then he looked at the FBI director who was going through a list of radical organization. When he finished and looked up from the folder, everyone was staring at him expecting an answer, He looked around the room and then he told the room, ** The name is not on the list but I would bet given the name we are not dealing with more than a few people, mostly men and some of them were probably involved in the Radical sixties movement like the Weatherman or some other similar group. There may or may not be others involve most likely younger men **

Then one of the members of the NSC commented, **You don’t know anything about them yet you are telling us that they are small group, mostly men, with older radicals from the weathermen and maybe some younger followers. How the hell do you come up with all of this. ** The rest of the room also had the same question.

The FBI director replied, ** Logic actually the use of the phrase army is often used by small groups to puff themselves up to make them look bigger than they really are. Sixties radicals because the people making the bombs knew what they were doing. Also the Boston Bomb squad gave the bombing, a good look over the placement of the bombs. They feel that whoever did it knew what he was doing. The message the group sent to the press sound like a left wing radical group and the left- wing radicals of the sixties had some fairly good bomb makers. The attacks also showed planning, my people tell me that the location of the attack had good avenues of escape so someone looked over the locations to pick the best possible site. Younger men as followers they would look up to the older men who had been involved in the bombing campaigns of the sixties.

Then the Chief of the Joint chiefs of staff spoke up, **Governor Dukakis wants one brigade of troops from the 26th ID. The problem it’s the only one of our Guard infantry division that is more or less ready to go to Europe if we need it. While the 187th Infantry brigade is based in Massachusett, but it is supposed to go to Iceland that is as soon as we free up enough transport planes to move it. We should be able to have the 58th in Boston by the end of the week ** We gave this some thought the 116th which is also close was rejected since we have received messages from Europe requesting that is be assigned to Europe.

The 73rd brigade of the Ohio Army National Guard is preparing moving out to Fort Campbell. We could change the destination to Boston. But we felt that the peace movement would not react well to the Ohio National Guard showing up in Boston to keep order. President Reagan considered that bit information and then it hit him, **Aah yes KENT STATE, no that would make the peace movement paranoid and a lot of Democrats in both the House and Senate would be complaining. No sending them would not be a good idea. For now we will have to let Dukakis have the brigade from the 26th. I will talk to him by phone tomorrow and let him know he needs to keep a lid on the situation in Boston. **

Then the President looked around the room and he asked is there anything else I need to know. The JCS looked up and replied, **A couple of things, there was some sort of dispute over in Germany about the placement of units. General Rogers decided in the favor of the Germans so we need to send the 116th over to Europe. As well as a tank battalion and he told us to make sure that the units were as close to proper TO&E as possible. I have spoken to the Air Force about moving the entire brigade over by air and the tank battalion can go by sea with the Fast Convoy. It does screws with our movement plans a little bit but only by a very little bit. But we already factored an unexpected movement into our plans. He also sent a message asking what we plan to do with the 35th ID, just why I don’t know.

President Reagan sat for a moment and he replied, **Well it’s obvious that he has a plan or he would not have asked you if you did. By the way do you? ** The JCS looked around the room and he told the President, **Well to tell the truth we were thinking about pulling troops from it as we needed them to be replacements for casualties. ** Reagan considered what he had been told and he replied, Tell him your plan and ask for his and then I can decided which makes more sense to me. Then Reagan asked what the other item.**

The Chief of Staff replied, ** Well the British are considering sending their Gurkha Brigade and some other troops but they will need help moving the brigade to South Korea. Which he thought would not be that difficult since two convoys were going to be in the area to help with the movement of the brigade. **

Reagan considered what he was told and he replied, Well take care it and tell the Brits we will be happy to accept the Gurkha Brigade. Now I will let Pentagon to take care of the matter. ** Then he told the people in the room, **I will go up and talk to the press. ** On his way out, he told the FBI director to keep me updated on what his people discovered. Nancy had insisted that he take it easy for the rest of the and he would after he expressed condolences for the families of the railroad men who had died in the derailment and then outrage of the vicious attack by the bombers with the promise that they would be found and punished. Right now, Reagan was feeling every one of his seventy-three years.

11AM Cavour SD Members of the Blake family would be over to the farm to celebrate the Fourth of July the member would arrive for a dinner and the leftovers would be eaten for supper and then the fireworks would start at dark. In the mean times the kids were hard at with the firecrackers. The cattle in the pasture had fled to the other side of the field. Then food was starting to arrive, salads, a variety of casseroles, fried chicken and pies lots of pies not to mention several loaves for freshly made bread as well as jars of pickles as well as pickled beets, several daughters in the family were in 4H and they were competing for ribbons and it was hoped at least one of them get a purple ribbon and then would be showing her bread or pickles at the State Fair. Martha had a massive roast in the oven and for the members of the family who were old enough the beer was flowing. The men were sitting in the shade of the trees where the tables had been set out.

The bombing occupied the discussion amongst the men as they were less than happy about what had happened. For those not so enamored with Reagan they were worried that the people who attacked the trains in Boston had hurt the peace movement. They right to be worried in this group at least the bombers were cursed. Ed was especially unhappy since, the news reports were that the bombers were trying to prevent supplies and equipment from making it to Europe. With John in Europe the idea of his son being stabbed in the back by a bunch radical nut case bombers did not set well with him. He had to wonder what the peace movement was thinking of. They spent so much time protesting Reagan that they did not seem to have any time to protest the Russians. So that anyone with a lick of common sense had to know where the ones who had started this whole crisis. While he did not say so he was certain of one thing he would not vote for any democrat this election.

But then the discussion went to the wheat crop. That improved the mood of the men, the wheat crop had the look of being almost good as the year before and that year had been a bumper crop. What was really good was the price of wheat was as good as it had been for years. The fears of war had caused various countries to lay out money to buildup stockpiles of wheat. Uncle Ted commented, **I am torn between selling all the wheat I harvest and get the price that it is right now. Or holding to half of in just in case the price goes up even more.**

The other famers nodded their heads in agreement, they had similar thoughts. Most of the time right around harvest the market was flooded with wheat and the prices tended to be lower. The farmers were in agreement, commenting that they could sell some grain now to pay any urgent bills while holding on to the bulk of the harvest for later on when the price would go up as the supply of wheat slowly dried up. Ed commented that he had heard, **The Soviet Army was not helping with the wheat harvest and the word was that drought conditions had damaged the harvest both wheat and corn. So that meant after the crisis was over the Soviet Union would be looking for wheat and corn. **

While the relatives from town watched farmers considered that bit of information and one commented, **Well that means the price could go up even more later or everyone who bought wheat to build up their wheat stockpiles will sell that wheat to the Russians. ** Uncle Ted **So we sell some wheat now and later on we could be selling the wheat we held back in competition with the wheat we sold earlier. ** That comment brought silence from the men gathered around the tables.

Then Henry, one of the younger men, commented, **Well we first have to see if we avoid being nuked. ** That comment brought a chill over the conversation before Uncle Ralph using the logic of a grunt from the first World War replied,**Well don’t worry about what you have no control over just worry about what you can affect. I learned that lesson during the Meuse Argonne offensive people wonderin if we were goin to get gassed or shelled or whatever. ** The rest of the men nodded their heads, then Uncle Ralph asked, **Have you had any word from John?**

Ed nodded his head replying, **We received it was not much be we did get a letter the Army is making sure that any mail sent either to or from Europe is being rushed by air. He could not tell us exactly where he was but he is in West Germany. Henry had been in the Army during the seventies, he had served with 1st ID, he commented, **John is in the south of West Germany maybe Bavaria. ** Ed nodded his head, he commented, **Well at least it not along the Fulda Gap the commies will be attacking through the Gap in force. It was that way it was supposed to be when I was there in fifty-eight and I imagine it will be the same way now. ** Uncle Ralph commented, ** You tell him to keep his head and his ass down both can get shot off in a war. **The other men who had served in the military, just shrugged their shoulders none of them had served in the army in Europe. Others had served in the Air Force or Navy so they did not know much about what was or was not supposed to happen on the ground in Europe. Finally, the conversation turned to other subjects that were less distressing to the men around the table.

Mike Harper was on duty with his wife dead and the rest of the family a good distance away he decided that he would be the officer of the day and Sergeant Bascom would stand duty and everyone else could go home to be with their families. It was surprise when some of the other members of the stay behind units showed up with food for him and the other man who was currently on duty.

7 pm Boston Ned’s bar, dockworkers who had been working on the 4th of July getting ready for the Fast Convoy that was making what was planned to be quick route across the Atlantic. The men had stopped by for a drink and then home to eat and set off a few fireworks with the wife and kids. Then what sounded like an explosion went off not too far away the sound drew the bars patrons and some of the waitresses outside the bar. Then a pair of new explosions went off. One was in a trash can and the second was a car. Shrapnel filled the area and between thirty to forty people were caught in the blasts.

8pm Boston
Nick watched the news reports, waiting for the news to report the People’s Revolutionary Armies latest attack. Meanwhile the news was full of the press telling America that the FBI or as Nick liked to call them America’s version of the Gestapo. They were promising to find the perpetrators and bring them to justice. The bastards, had not caught him in the sixties or seventies when Hoover ran em and he had not been caught and he was not going to caught this time either. Then the first reports hit the news as TV stations broke into regularly scheduled shows to announce the bombing of Ned’s Bar. Nick announced to the other two men, **We will make the blood flow in Boston. **

Chapter 13 Think of Them as Martyrs for the Revolution. 9 am July 6/5 M+11 Shortland Islands The convoy from Murmansk arrival meant that the battalion of Soviet Naval infantry had arrived and along with all extra supplies this was something that no one in the convoy had expected. Most of the men had not expected to arrive, the smart money had been on what day the war would breakout and how soon afterward the Americans would attack and destroy the convoy. The optimists who had bet on the convoy making it to the Shortland Islands had made a killing.

At the same time, the watching on the neighboring island sent a message on the continuing buildup of Soviet Forces on Bougainville. Sent another message and the Shortland base commander called the Soviet Ambassador on the phone informing him of the fact that the ANZUS forces were operating in neutral territory and no one was doing a thing about it. Ambassador assure the base commander that actions would be taken. In fact, the Foreign Minister of the Peoples Republic of Bougainville would be flying down to Honiara on Guadalcanal to inform the government of the Solomon Islands that his country could not expect to be treated as a neutral. If the SAS forces currently operating in the Solomon Islands did not leave the Solomon Island. Then there could be serious ramifications. That made the base commander a little happier.

1Pm
As the plane carrying the foreign minister to Bougainville, left the Arawa Airport, a tramp freighter flying the flag of the Panama left the harbor of Lolo, while owned by the Government of Bougainville. But now it was on a secret mission on board were members of the Solomon Islands liberation front fifty-eight men armed with a mixture of Ak’s and RPG’s. As well as three hundred SKS rifles with a half million rounds of ammunitions for the supporters of the SILF in Honaira, who would rise up in support of the coup. The local leaders of the SILF had been supplied with large amounts of cash to organize supporters for the upcoming revolt.

The leadership of the SILF was also on board they were to establish the new government; the plan was to topple the current government that was running the Solomon Island in a coup. The leader of the SILF ordered that all radios on board the ships to be tossed overboard in part to prevent spies on board from being able to communicate with their spy master and in part to make sure that the attacking force was not distracted from the mission. The tramp freighter can make 11 knots so the plan is to be off the coast of Guadalcanal to launch an attack on Honiara no later than 2am on the 8th of July. So, for part of the time the ship would move less than it normal cruising speed.

With the Soviet Union pressing to act President Havani, had decided that this was the perfect time to make the move. He had not informed the Russians or the Cubans who were training the members of the SILF of what was being planned. He realized that despite the demands for action his action where supposed to be diplomatic, designed to embarrass the Solomon Islands.

The Cuban trainers had been told that the boys had been given a few days off and by the time the Cubans would find out differently it would be too late to do anything about it. It would take just two days for the attack force would arrive off of Guadalcanal and later that night a coup would happen and there would be a new government ruling the Solomon Islands. At the same time, a message was sent via a courier to tell the leader of the SILF movement in Honiara area to mobilize his men. The two hundred plus men that he had reported to have would make all the differences. He was told to have the men gathered together and ready to fight no later than 1am on Sunday the 8th of July.

NOON Honiara Solomon Island.
The Foreign minister of Bougainville arrived at the house of the Prime Minister of the Solomon Islands. The conversation that follow made it clear that any Australian or New Zealand forces that were in the Solomon Islands had to be withdrawn or the Peoples Republic of Bougainville would have to take action. Then he left and Prime Minister of the Solomon Islands sat down for a minute or so before he decided to do something. He called for the High Commissioners from both Australia, New Zealand. The position of the United Kingdom High Commissioner was current empty so the Prime Minister decided to leave the British out of the meeting. Especially since the United Kingdom was already deep into the crisis in Europe. He believed that the United Kingdom could do little for now and he wanted the smallest number of people involved in the situation. He planned on asking for protection from Bougainville, he was worried that President Havani was going to attempt to topple his government.

2pm Honiara
When the two men arrived, he told them what had happened and that he was worried that no matter what he did he was sure that President Havani attack the Republic of the Solomon Island. The current outside forces in the Solomon Islands were two SAS teams the Australian SAS team was on Choiseul Island. The New Zealand SAS was on Mono Island to keep an eye on Bougainville and it’s Soviet allies. The next switch over was just a week away. To remove the SAS teams would leave the Shortland base unwatched and then who knew what would happen. With no troops watching the SILF just might move operations into northern islands and create a communist Northern Solomon Islands.

But the Prime Minister was really frightened by the threat of a coup by the SILF and so he wanted troops but not Australian troop. Given Bougainville government attitude toward Australia that if their troops arrived Bougainville might do something crazy. After all it was the Australian who had tried the force a shotgun marriage for Bougainville with Papau New Guinea. So, he wanted New Zealand to send troops to Guadalcanal that was a surprise to both of the High Commissioners. Not a large force, just enough to secure the situation. The High Commissioner from New Zealand agreed to send a message to his government the request of the government of the Solomon Islands. At the same time the Australian High Commissioner would inform his government of the Solomon Islands request for help.

That remains to be seen. But it all depends on how decisive the current New Zealand government is and there is an election happening in New Zealand.

4pm Wellington New Zealand The messages arrival caught Prime Minister Muldoon by surprise he was preparing for a major debate between him, Lange and Bob Jones. The addition of Jones had not been something that either Muldoon and Lange wanted but the polling and the requests of from the viewing audience so he was in the debate. The request was for a limited number of troops to be moved to Honiara to prevent possibility of an attempted coup. Muldoon had the requests sent to the New Zealand army to study the request and make a recommendation as to the size of the force that could be sent.

But for Muldoon he was not too sure that he wanted to order the movement of New Zealand troops in the middle of an election. He was seriously considering doing nothing or tell the Solomon Islands that the Australians would be better able to protect the Solomon Islands.

At the same time, the sudden requests for troops had caught the New Zealand military off guard. But they rapidly recovered with all the regular units attached to the 1st brigade and the reservists not really up to a mission of this kind it was quickly decided that a detail of thirty SAS men would be sent in the first way and that the Paratroop company which had been planning to be move to Australia for training for the invasion of Bougainville. Now had a new mission of backing up the SAS detachment on Guadalcanal.
The officer who was to be put in charge of the operation then pointed out that he would like to have some armored vehicles attached but it was opposed on the grounds that the Army had only 26 Scorpions and they would be needed for the campaign to take Bougainville. But the senior officers did concede that have some sort of armored vehicle, it was decided that a platoon of M-113’s could be spared from the reserve armored battalion. Orders were sent to the 4th Waikato Mounted Rifles to pick its best platoon for special duty. The M-113’s were to be transported to RNZAF Base Auckland from there the unit would be transported to an unspecified location.

Word soon came back stating that the platoon had been picked but that it was felt a small team of support personal be sent along with spare parts and a large quantity of diesel fuel and since the M-113’s mounted fifty caliber machine guns a large quantity of fifty caliber ammunition would also have to be sent. It was obvious someone in that battalion had figured something was up but just, they did not know what. But the main problem was that New Zealand Royal Air Force had only two of it C-130’s at Auckland. But it decided to wait for Prime Minister Muldoon’s approval for the operation while explaining the drawbacks for the operation. But for the next couple of hours Prime Minister Muldoon would be busy to decide to do anything.

Then the New Zealand Army decided that since the Waikato Rifles were currently at Waiouru Military Camp that component of the plan was ordered to immediately load the platoons M-113’s onto flatbed trucks and begin the move to RNZAF Auckland. Once that unit was on its way by say seven pm to Auckland they would be at RNZAF Auckland no later than Midnight, one Am at the latest. The rest of the units involved in the plan were give warning orders and those units began to ready themselves for the mission. Then a small medical team with a doctor and a communication unit was attached with a powerful long-range radio. But communications with the Solomon Islands was to remain problematic at best.

9AM Moscow
The first orders to mobilize category D divisions were sent out on both Radio and TV suddenly hundreds of thousands of Soviet citizens mostly thirty and forty-year old’s with a scattering of older men were now on their way to the mobilization centers to be given quick physicals before being sent to their assigned division. A few of the older men had seen service in World War II when they had been boys now they had another war looking them in the face. The men standing line and looking grim, joked being alive with two legs, two arms, two hands being optional one would do then you too could pass the Russian Army physical at the age of fifty.

10am Brussels General Rogers, had woke up to the news of the bombing of dockyard workers in Boston and the Peoples Revolutionary Army had announced that the Dockworkers and their families were lackies of the American war machine and therefore legitimate targets for their attacks. He had received messages that the Pentagon had been monitoring the situation and that two brigades of National Guard troops were being moved into Boston to handle security issues relating the bombings and the anti-war protests that were going to happen this weekend.

7 PM Wellington.
The three-way debate revolved primarily around the current crisis with some criticism about how Muldoon was running New Zealand’s economy and government. Lange was firm in his dismissal of the Soviet Union as being a threat to New Zealand. While Muldoon referred to the gathering force of the Soviet Union on Bougainville. To which Lange responded that if New Zealand and Australia were both neutral the Soviet Union would never had put a base there. Then he used the moment to lay blame to the current crisis on Reagan’s handling of the crisis. It was then Bob Jones of the New Zealand party got into the argument, He pointed out that despite no being a specialist in foreign affairs. He knew that for one the Soviet Union had conspired with Havani to throw out the Papau New Guinea government out of Bougainville and that the base had been in the Shortland Islands long before Reagan had arrived on the scene. Not to mention that dropping America as an ally would mean that New Zealand would be alone in the world since Australia was not likely to drop its alliance with American since the strongest supporter of the Australian alliance with America was the current Leader of the Australia’s Labor Party, Prime Minister Hawke.

Muldoon stepped back into the conversation pointing out that Lange was dangerously naive when it came to the Soviet Union. That Lange was so prejudice against Reagan that he could see the truth even when it was right before him. Lange response was to called Muldoon as little more than a lapdog for Reagan. Jones stepped back into the debate with the comment, that while he was not a blind a supporter of the United States and Reagan as Muldoon was. But he could see that the Soviet Union was the one most responsible for the crisis and that had they shown a little restraint this crisis would not have happened. Then he added on the comment that Muldoon was right about one thing that Lange hated Reagan so much that he was deranged when it come the subject of Ronald Reagan.

Lange did not take that comment well and he simply replied that, he was not going to be lead blindly down the path to war. Then he stated that luckily the worst that New Zealand faced in a nuclear war was the effects of the Nuclear Winter and being cut off from the rest of the world as it recovered from the disaster that Reagan appeared to be leading the Western Alliance.

Bob Jones reply was that Lange had just proved how unqualified he was to become the next Prime Minister of New Zealand. Bob Jones also commented that while he agreed that New Zealand needed to pick its own path. He also knew that having a powerful ally like the United States was also useful. Not to mention that breaking off New Zealand’s alliance with the United States in the middle of a major crisis was a bad idea. It would make New Zealand look bad in front of the rest of the world and leave New Zealand even more isolated since who would want to pursue ties of mutual protection with a country whose leadership had deserted their last allies at the first sign of real trouble. Not mention leaving New Zealand open to pressure from other countries. Lange’s response that doing what was right would build the respect of the rest of the world not it’s scorn.

When the debate was over the press commented that while Muldoon had put up a good fight but he had not removed the people concerns over both his government’s policies and his drinking. While Lange had been damaged by his refusal to admit that Soviet Union was a threat to New Zealand something that as of right now nearly sixty percent of the population had that view. As for Bob Jones, he had scored a lot of points but his plan to open the economy to a more laissez-faire system was holding people back from supporting him. His pragmatic approach to foreign relations had allowed him to score points against Lange and it was thought amongst the people of New Zealand. But it enough to get people to considered voting for him instead of Lange or Muldoon was something they were not ready to say one way or another but only time would tell.

With debate over, Muldoon paused for a second as he considered what was going on in the Solomon’s. If Lange found out what was up he would have a cow, he would be screaming the news at the top of his lungs. Then a though occurred to him, smiled for a second and then he told the military officer whose job was to keep up on what was happening and to keep Muldoon up to date. The advisor was surprised at being told let Bob Jones that something was up. So, Bob Jones a bit of a warning that something was on the way nothing to specific just a heads up.

When the officer showed up as Jones was leaving the TV station and he asked if he could speak to Jones alone. Jones agreed and the two men moved away from Jones advisor. Then the officer told him that while I cannot go into detail, Prime Minister Muldoon is considering a request from the Prime Minister of the Solomon Islands to send troops. The final decision had not been made but would be today. He then commented that the intervention would become news in just two or three days that is if it happened. Then the officer told to Jones considered what he had been told, he decided that he was not going to mention it to anyone. He would not let his advisors into what he had been told.

The Press was talking about the New Zealand Party. It was beginning to be viewed by a substantial percentage of the population as safe haven from the Government they knew and were tired of and were at the same time worried that Lange really did have a real problem with understanding that the Soviet Union was a threat to New Zealand. But whether that would be enough to put the New Zealand party in power or make it the King maker for the next government, the press was not sure. But this election was turning out to be one of the most interesting, hard fought and divisive elections that New Zealand had seen in a very long time. As one commentator stated we have five factions, in this election.

The Hard-core Muldoon supporters who would vote for Muldoon no matter what, the Hard-core Muldoon haters who will vote Labor no matter what. The Faction of people who were going to vote for Bob Jones to reform the economy of New Zealand a fourth faction that view Jones as a sort of protest vote and the fifth group who had no clue who they were voting but they were tired of Muldoon policies, scared of Lange refusal to recognize that the Soviet Union was a threat and pretty sure that Jones would blow the bottom out of the economy if he won the election. So just over a week from the election enough people in New Zealand still making up their minds about the upcoming election.

10pm Vogel House Wellington When Muldoon arrived at Vogel House he sat down to receive the briefing on what the military had planned. It was a simple plan first send a force of thirty SAS personal and the Paratroop company as well as mechanized infantry platoon from the 4th Waikato. Food, fuel, additional ammunition as well a spare parts and the tools needed to keep the M-113’s operational. A pair of mechanics would also go along with the mission finally a pair of land rovers to provide the force a mobile recon platoon. But it would take time to move the force to Honaria. The reason being that both of the 707’s and three of the five C-130’s are currently moving the 1st RNZI.

The briefer commented that the planners would really like more C-130’s available to carry out the mission. It was then that Muldoon called Prime Minister Hawke to talk about the mission and Hawk told Muldoon that he had sent orders to the Yara to cooperate with the forces that New Zealand was sending. With the Yarra backup by the Supply the two ships could maintain a patrol in the area for a long period of time. But that it would be slow process getting the troops to Honiara due to only having two C-130’s to carry out the mission.
It was then that Prime Minister Hawke had an idea the RAAF had several C-130’s on call at RAAF Richmond so all he had to do was order the transport to go to Auckland. But he needed to know how many, it was decided that two M-113’S with their crews and squads per C-130. One C-130 would carry the two land rovers and the support personal. Fourth C-130 would carry the supplies. The senior RAAF officer at the meeting told Hawke to send five just in case one became combat mission ineffective. When Hawke gave him a blank look, the officer replied, Breaks down Mr. Prime Minister. A look at the time and a quick discussion on the Australian side of the phone call and it was decided that the C-130’s should arrive in not more than eight hours. The New Zealand military figure it would have the planes loaded in a four hours and be on the way to Honiara. It was then that the SAS office at the meeting commented that with seven C-130’s. The first two C-130 should do a paradrop, all thirty SAS men and the entire Parachute company would parachute in to secure the Honiara airport.
Those C-130’s would arrive an hour ahead of the rest of the planes to secure the airport. Muldoon liked the idea and Hawke saw no reason to argue against the idea and now five C-130’s of the RAAF where assigned to the mission and that used up Australia’s entire strategic reserve of C-130’s. The senior RAAF officer commented that it would probably be better if the C-130’s ended their flight at RAAF Amberley that would allow all the C-130’s crews time to rest before returning to their respective bases. He admitted that it was a bomber base as he put it by the time the C-130’s made to Amberley all the flight crews and especially the Australian would be looking forward for a rest. That idea was agreed to.

Then Hawke announced that the Yarra and the support ship Supply would cooperate with the New Zealand task force. But he asked that one of the New Zealand frigates be sent and Muldoon agreed to send the Wellington she was current assigned to be one the two escorts for the two landing ships when they carried Queen Alexandra’s Mounted Rifled to Australia to train with the Australians for the invasion of Bougainville. But for the moment this mission was more essential. The Wellington would arrive on the Eleventh of July. Then Muldoon commented that the Wellington was the flagship the frigate squadron and the commodore in charge of the frigate squadron would be on board. Prime Minister Hawke agreed to allow New Zealand to have command of both the land and sea forces but that if Australian planes were committed Australia would have command of any planes sent by New Zealand. Muldoon agreed without hesitation. With the command responsibility allotted but no suggestion was made for senior officer commanding everything.

Muldoon commented that the Russians just might in jet fighters in to shoot the C-130’s down. But that idea was discounted starting World War III over the Solomon Islands. Well no one believed that the Soviet Union would want to do that. Then it was discussed whether to tell, the Americans before the operation about New Zealand was sending troops and a ship to Guadalcanal. Not to mention the loaning of the C-130’s to New Zealand for the duration of the mission. Prime Minister Hawke commented, **My opponents in my own party would be screaming bloody murder about the intervention calling us pathetic puppets of the America. So, the idea of keeping the Americans in the dark had a real appeal since I can honestly tell the world we made this decision on our own and we did not go to the Americans about this mission until it was already underway. **

Muldoon suddenly commented, **I agree, we can keep the Americans in the dark for a while and when we finally announce it. We can honestly say that we the decision ourselves and without consulting the Americans. ** That idea was met with a considerable degree of enthusiasm, even good allies got a little tired of dealing with there the Americans. Especially that jackass who was the current CINCPAC. Prime Minister Hawke then commented that the current American ambassador, a car dealer from California would find out when New Zealand released the news. That comment was received with laughter. Muldoon replied, **Aah yes, the car salesman, Well the American Ambassador to New Zealand is much classier he an ex-cattleman who owns race horses. After all racing is the sport of kings. ** That comment brought more laughter, New Zealand had a classier ambassador than the car salesman that Reagan had appointed to Australia with that the meeting was over.

10AM London A message was sent by the Pentagon telling the Ministry of Defense that the ships could be provided to move the Gurkha brigade. The Pentagon informed the Ministry of Defense when they could expect the ships to be available. Sea Lift command would have the more exact information on the equipment and supplies to be delivered to South Korea. The Pentagon also favored the idea of involving the Australian military in the defense of South Korea.

With that support in hand the Foreign Ministry was ordered by the Prime Minister to approach the Australian government with the idea of committing the 3rd Brigade of the Australian Army to the defense of South Korea.

8am Washington DC.
Ronald Reagan woke up and he laid in bed thinking, the bombing in Boston had went on and last night those animals who called themselves the People Revolutionary Army had killed thirteen dockworkers and two waitresses and put another seventeen into the hospital. He had issued a condemnation of the attacks and he offered his symphonies to the families of the dead. He had also ordered the movement of troops to Boston to be sped up. He was not looking forward today he knew with animals like these people more attacks were on the way.

In Montreal, the 5th brigade was going to sea, the merchantmen were to be met by HMCS Athabascan, HMCS Annapolis and the HMCS Kootenay in the bay of St. Lawrence. At the same time a flurry of phones call went on between Ottawa and Washington with the Canadians wanting to make sure that the personal and equipment that would be moving through Boston would be safe from attack. Secretary of Casper Weinberger replied that before any train carrying troops or equipment for the military was going to have that rail line checked for bombs with troops all along the way to make sure that no one tried anything funny. The threat to American plans to run a major supply line through Boston was being taken seriously.

5pm Praia Cape Verde Islands One of the two Soviet ships that had been headed south from Murmansk arrived in the port of Praia in the Cape Verde Islands and dropped anchor in the small anchorage. The arrival did cause a bit of a stir since the locals had not expected the ship. But it appeared that the local government officials were not all that surprised and a delegation of them were ready to board the ship as soon as it arrived. A local resident in the pay of the DGSE had a message was sent out to inform the DGSE of the ships arrival. It would take a week to ten days since message had to be carried a courier who worked on a merchant ship was involved in the coastal trade. But the courier was not search nor even considered a threat by the local police officials.

10AM Boston MA.
Tip O’Neill was headed for a meeting with leaders of the Dockyard workers Union, he would condemn the attacks. He would also make it quite clear that Peace Movement was in a whole opposed to the use of violence to achieve their goals. The leaders of the Peace movement including Ted Kennedy had condemned the attacks on these hardworking men as unacceptable. But there were stories coming from Talk Radio shows in Boston that some members of the Peace Movement had celebrated the attacks on the Dockworkers. He made it clear that anyone who celebrated this attack were not true members of the peace movement and should be thrown out of the Peace Movement. While the comment did calm nerves to a degree. The more hot-headed of the Boston’s working class community who considered the statement as an admission that members of the peace movement where happy about the deaths of the dockworkers.

At the same time Whitey Bulger, the fear leader of the Southies, had put out a hit on the bastards who had blown up one of his bars. The truth was that Whitey was pissed that anyone would dare to blow up a bar he owned, then about the victims both living and dead. A lot of people in the South side now had even more incentive to find the bombers. The truth was that Boston was a stove top had been turned to high and the water in the pot was starting to simmer. All it would take was a few more attacks and the water would be at full boil. But with the lid firmly on the pot who knew when it would blow.

Reagan called Governor Dukakis that he needed to maintain control over the situation. Reagan commented on his experience as Governor of California and having to deal with the peace movement of that day. Dukakis assured Reagan that he had total control of the situation and that the two brigades of Guard troops were more show than to be used for riot control. Reagan hung up wondering if Dukakis really understood just how bad things could go.

Just an hour later a car bomb went off near the Dockworkers hiring hall a car blew up while it did not seriously damage the building a five people were kill and another eighteen were injured. With that bombing there were calls that the Anti-war Protest be called off of out respect to the families of the dead and injured. This time Kennedy himself responded, condemning the bombers stating that the bombers were no friends of the peace movement. But stated that the peace movement had a higher moral duty to keep the pressure on Reagan and his push to World War III. So that it had to carry on with the planned protests. Then while he stated he had no objection to the workers doing their job, he stated that the Peace Movement had a higher morale of agenda of preserving the peace. The speech was met with cheers from the listening crowd of antiwar protestors.

In a speech before the Representative Newt Gingrich asked if protestors would go to the marching upcoming antiwar protests in Boston right behind the Flag of the Soviet Union just to show their true loyalties. Just like so many anti-war protestors had done during the Vietnam War. An act that so many people while unhappy with the war, were just as absolutely furious with the Vietnam anti-war protestors for marching behind the North Vietnamese flag. McGovern had did, just that and it caused many people to vote against him in 72. Now the pot that was Boston went from simmering to slow boil and the lid was still firmly in place.

1 pm Washington DC. The attack had been appalling and Reagan went out and again offered his condolences to the families of the victims. While at the same time appealing for calm in Boston. This time for the people who had been killed or injured by the attack on the Union Hall. He had again condemned the terrorists and then he had called the head of the FBI asking if he had any new leads. The head of the FBI replied, **No but they were still looking and they were also going over the records from bombing from the sixties and seventies. With luck, the bomber had a signature and they would at least know how he was and they were sure that he is a he.

Then the conversation changed to the trip to Europe by Cap Weinberger, he would first meet with General Rogers on Tuesday the 10th of July the general was to brief Cap on what was going on and what was right and what needed work. Then on the 11th of July the two of them would have a meeting with Chancellor Kohl and his Minister of Defense. They would coordinate defensive measures with the West German government. Then Secretary of State Schultz mentioned that the Secretary of Agriculture would also be in West Germany discussing with the West German government to coordinate the shipment of food to West Germany in case of food shortages. The comment was noted and then the discussion went on to the talking points for Cap at the meeting with the West German government.

Farmer12 how strong is NATO on the front lines in germany Now. Mostly moblised, or fully moblised for germany, france, England.
I just wanna have a idea in numbers of what the Soviets will be facing.
And I also want to say This is an excellent Timeline and I am really enjoying it. Please Keep up the good work. Oh and thanks for this brillient storey.

Thank you michaelbaneblade, give me a couple hours and i will have a rough out line of current force levels on NATO in West Germany.

Once the war actually starts, and there is a declaration of war, ALL of the protestors will be treading a very fine line. Protesting blaming the USA for the war, even without obstructing anything could be construed as "aid and comfort to the enemy". If they sit down in front of a military convoy or obstruct a factory it gets worse. Any actual sabotage, even other than the bombings that killed people, become a death penalty offense. Once American troops are bleeding, the gloves will come off. FWIW while Kennedy can say whatever he wants on the Senate floor without prosecution the senate can expel him

NATO FORCES WEST GERMANY

Belgium Army – 2 Active Army divisions, 1 paracommando regiment and assorted separate units battalion to company strength. Reserve one mechanized brigade and one motorized brigade, also 9 reserve light infantry brigades 2 to 5 battalions in combat strength. Primary tank is the Leopard 1 and the jagdpanzer Canone with M-47 tanks in storage. Known to be short of modern equipment mitigated by the forested terrain allocated to the Belgium Army for the defense of the FRG. Quality of army variable/ By this time mobilized and but reserve units still undergoing refresher training.

Canada 3rd mechanized infantry brigade, Elite

France Note all French divisions army are closer to US army brigade size and firepower, emphasis on maneuverability. 1st Army 1st Corp two armored divisions and two light armored divisions/ 2nd Corp two armored divisions one infantry division/3rd Corp 2 armored division, One infantry division. For use in FRG. Combat Ready/ Rapid Action Force may or may not end up in FRG. 1 airmobile division, 1 light armored division, 9th marine division, 11th airborne, 27th Alpine division and the French Foreign Legion brigade. Regular Army professional to Elite/ Large number of mobilization only units, primarily infantry and of uncertain quality and at the very least short of modern equipment. With low stocks of more obsolete weaponry. All units mobilized but combat effectiveness is variable

French army AMX-30 tank are the lightest in NATO with the secondary tank is the AMX-10 light tank. With large numbers of armored cars.
West Germany army 6 armored division/ 4 mechanized division/ 1 mountain division/3 corp level aviation brigade. High Professional to Elite well armed and supplied, fully mobilized. Primary tank some Leopard 1 the majority being the Leopard 2’s Fully mobilized
Territorial Army Generally well trained and professional and in the process of receiving more modern equipment at the modern equipment arrives for the German Army. Current shifting from the M-48a2ag’s for Leopard 1’s. The size of this forces constitutes a hidden reserve at least 45 home defense battalions, 150 home defense companies and 300 independent home defense platoons possible the best overall reserve force in NATO. While not expected to be used in front line combat. These units will provide rear area security. Should the frontline arrives in their area I would expect these units would fight and possible better than other units because they are defending their homes. Fully mobilized

United Kingdom 3 armored division and one infantry BOAR/ 1 Airborne regiment as well as numbers of regular infantry units and other assorted light units/ Territorial army mobilized in UK , two brigade are in FRG other territorial units under going refresher training. Some consideration of sending light infantry units to Europe for a variety of combat missions. Uncertain as to the numbers Elite to professional with some Territorial units as good as any regular units

Netherlands 2 regular mechanized divisions and one reserve division all fully mobilized and in FRG/ with a few reserve units undergoing training. Force undergoing modernization with old to modern equipment. Professional force but with it labor union ties and its unmilitary looks raises some questions but officer corp tended to defend troops as highly professional

US army 1st and 3rd Armored/ 8th and 3rd infantry 2 Calvary regiment and one brigade on from the 1st ID in Bavaria as well as 4th brigade 4th ID all in Germany at beginning of crisis / Remainder of 1st ID in Germany except for 1 battalion National Guard, 4th ID less one battalion National Guard/ 2brigades 5th less on National Guard brigade ID 24th ID full strength with one NG brigade to be flown over to meet equipment sent over in need of some refresher training. 2 brigades of 1st Cavalry less one roundout brigade/ 194th Armored brigade, 197th infantry brigade 6th Air Cavalry. The equipment for the 50th armored Europe but troops not yet flown over. Most National Guard troops assigned to Roundout Units should arrive in second week in July. Elite to professional/ some Guard units are of variable quality
Denmark one division

This is a rough outline of the NATO forces in Germany, I hope it helps let me know of you have any question.