Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Part 148, Chapter 2684
Chapter Two Thousand Six Hundred Eighty-Four

3rd June 1978

Balderschwang, Bavaria

“Now if you could hold that breath” Kiki said to Marie Alexandra as she felt the cold metal of the stethoscope pressed against her back.

Marie had come to Bavaria to visit only to have Kiki express a great deal of concern about her health and being a bit bored after having been on Maternity Leave had been more than happy to have Marie as a reluctant patient. It seemed that the Princess had been talking to her mother and like always, Marie’s mother had told Kiki all about how Marie had been focused on her studies over the months leading up to her graduation to the exclusion of everything else. That included telling Kiki all about what she regarded as Marie’s poor diet, the late nights, and all other bad habits that Marie had apparently gotten into.

“Find what you were looking for?” Marie asked.

“Fortunately, no” Kiki replied without elaborating exactly what that meant. Though Marie suspected that she was checking for something along the lines of the cardiac issues that Aunt Ilse suffered from.

All of that was a reminder that Kiki had been Marie’s Physician since she had been a child. So she didn’t need to see her medical records to know things like family history or Marie’s.

“If I am hungry I get something to eat” Marie said defensively, “I don’t see what the problem is.”

“An apple, a cup of coffee, and a slice of bread with jam perhaps once a day if you remember is not good for you” Kiki said, “Kat told me all about what she found in your kitchen as you were packing up your apartment before you left Montreal.”

“I also had peanut butter” Marie replied.

“That is an American thing and an option you won’t have available in Ireland, so you will need to think of something else” Kiki said as she rummaged around in the waxed canvas bag she kept her surgical tools in. “Worrying about their children is what mothers do, and last I looked Kat is your mother.”

That was a reminder of how Marie’s mother and Kiki were constantly talking to each other, and that Kiki probably wouldn’t respond to any provocations on her part. Marie remembered that when she had been a child Kiki had always been around. Tatiana had told her all about when Kiki had actually lived in the house in Tempelhof and Ben had been living across the alleyway. Aunt Ilse had been there too and had been pregnant with Niko at the time. Marie had been a baby at the time, so she couldn’t remember that period of her life. She wished she could.

“How is your friend?” Kiki asked as she slipped the blood pressure cuff around Marie’s arm. “The one who is in a relationship with Sabastian Schultz.”

“Henni was not happy that I left Montreal and will be going to Ireland in September” Kiki replied, “She told me that it feels like she is losing a friend.”

Kiki didn’t respond right away, instead she pumped up the blood pressure cuff. It went super tight for a few seconds before Kiki started releasing air from it.

“Do you feel the same way?” Kiki asked.

“I think that Henriette is overreacting” Marie said, and Kiki was silent for a few seconds.

“You heart rate and blood pressure went up when you said that” Kiki said, “I believe that you already know what that means?”

Marie felt a wave of anger well up in her, Kiki had just told her that she had just caught her in a lie. No one read her that easily… Then it occurred to her that Kiki didn’t deserve her anger, she had nearly died saving Marie’s life.

“It is not like I am going away forever” Marie said hating the sound of her voice as she tried to rationalize her previous comment. She was also acutely aware of how she felt when talking to Kiki like this. It had nothing to do with her unclothed state during an examination like this, that was something that had never bothered her. It was that it was impossible to keep secrets from Kiki.

“I know that you haven’t had very many friends” Kiki said as she removed the blood pressure cuff from Marie’s arm. “And you saw Henriette and her daughter nearly every day for four years, there is nothing wrong with missing them.”

Marie watched as Kiki put her tools away.

“Despite your neglect and being underweight even for you, you are relatively healthy” Kiki said, “You only get one body Marie, so please try to take care of it.”

“Yeah, whatever” Marie muttered in Korean.

“I am being serious” Kiki unexpectedly replied in the same language before switching back. “Calcium, iron, and anything else I can think of. I have plenty of time and your mother’s permission to make you take care of yourself for at least the next few days.”

“And I am not a child” Marie said, “You didn’t need to get my mother’s permission.”

Kiki shrugged, “I would like to have yours” She said, “Though you will find that your Physician and parents still have a lot of authority over you as an adult.”

“Is there anything I can do about that?” Marie asked.

“You can get married” Kiki said, “Then it would be your husband instead of your parents who I would be talking to.”

That sounded like a sick joke to Marie.

“Now get dressed and come out to the parlor” Kiki said, “Nina really wants to show off her musically abilities to Tante Marie.”

With that Kiki left the room and Marie was left alone with her thoughts.

Last edited:
Chapter Two Thousand Six Hundred Eighty-Four

3rd June 1978

Balderschwang, Bavaria

“Now if you could hold that breath” Kiki said to Marie Alexandra as she felt the cold metal of the stethoscope pressed against her back.

Marie had come to Bavaria to visit only to have Kiki express a great deal of concern about her health and being a bit bored after having been on Maternity Leave had been more than happy to have Marie as a reluctant patient. It seemed that the Princess had been talking to her mother and like always, Marie’s mother had told Kiki all about how Marie had been focused on her studies over the months leading up to her graduation to the exclusion of everything else. That included telling Kiki all about what she regarded as Marie’s poor diet, the late nights, and all other bad habits that Marie had apparently gotten into.

“Find what you were looking for?” Marie asked.

“Fortunately, no” Kiki replied without elaborating exactly what that meant. Though Marie suspected that she was checking for something along the lines of the cardiac issues that Aunt Ilse suffered from.

All of that was a reminder that Kiki had been Marie’s Physician since she had been a child. So she didn’t need to see her medical records to know things like family history or Marie’s.

“If I am hungry I get something to eat” Marie said defensively, “I don’t see what the problem is.”

“An apple, a cup of coffee, and a slice of bread with jam perhaps once a day if you remember is not good for you” Kiki said, “Kat told me all about what she found in your kitchen as you were packing up your apartment before you left Montreal.”

“I also had peanut butter” Marie replied.

“That is an American thing and an option you won’t have available in Ireland, so you will need to think of something else” Kiki said as she rummaged around in the waxed canvas bag she kept her surgical tools in. “Worrying about their children is what mothers do, and last I looked Kat is your mother.”

That was a reminder of how Marie’s mother and Kiki were constantly talking to each other, and that Kiki probably wouldn’t respond to any provocations on her part. Marie remembered that when she had been a child Kiki had always been around. Tatiana had told her all about when Kiki had actually lived in the house in Tempelhof and Ben had been living across the alleyway. Aunt Ilse had been there too and had been pregnant with Niko at the time. Marie had been a baby at the time, so she couldn’t remember that period of her life. She wished she could.

“How is your friend?” Kiki asked as she slipped the blood pressure cuff around Marie’s arm. “The one who is in a relationship with Sabastian Schultz.”

“Henni was not happy that I left Montreal and will going to Ireland in September” Kiki replied, “She told me that it feels like she is losing a friend.”

Kiki didn’t respond right away, instead she pumped up the blood pressure cuff. It went super tight for a few seconds before Kiki started releasing air from it.

“Do you feel the same way?” Kiki asked.

“I think that Henriette is overreacting” Marie said, and Kiki was silent for a few seconds.

“You heart rate and blood pressure went up when you said that” Kiki said, “I believe that you already know what that means?”

Marie felt a wave of anger well up in her, Kiki had just told her that she had just caught her in a lie. No one read her that easily… Then it occurred to her that Kiki didn’t deserve her anger, she had nearly died saving Marie’s life.

“It is not like I am going away forever” Marie said hating the sound of her voice as she tried to rationalize her previous comment. She was also acutely aware of how she felt when talking to Kiki like this. It had nothing to do with her unclothed state during an examination like this, that was something that had never bothered her. It was that it was impossible to keep secrets from Kiki.

“I know that you haven’t had very many friends” Kiki said as she removed the blood pressure cuff from Marie’s arm. “And you saw Henriette and her daughter nearly every day for four years, there is nothing wrong with missing them.”

Marie watched as Kiki put her tools away.

“Despite your neglect and being underweight even for you, you are relatively healthy” Kiki said, “You only get one body Marie, so please try to take care of it.”

“Yeah, whatever” Marie muttered in Korean.

“I am being serious” Kiki unexpectedly replied in the same language before switching back. “Calcium, iron, and anything else I can think of. I have plenty of time and your mother’s permission to make you take care of yourself for at least the next few days.”

“And I am not a child” Marie said, “You didn’t need to get my mother’s permission.”

Kiki shrugged, “I would like to have yours” She said, “Though you will find that your Physician and parents still have a lot of authority over you as an adult.”

“Is there anything I can do about that?” Marie asked.

“You can get married” Kiki said, “Then it would be your husband instead of your parents who I would be talking to.”

That sounded like a sick joke to Marie.

“Now get dressed and come out to the parlor” Kiki said, “Nina really wants to show off her musically abilities to Tante Marie.”

With that Kiki left the room and Marie was left alone with her thoughts.
Maybe sounds silly, but I enjoy very much these family chapters. 😄

Yes, there are certain tropes (MPDG) that Marie Alexandra seems to fit into. However, the one aspect of that trope that most writers seems to ignore is that while she might be the object of desire for the protagonist, usually a conventional somewhat successful male, there is no way that she would be interested in someone like that.

There are also the questions about Marie's neurological state, the truth is that as any First Year Psych Major could tell you, normal or divergent is entirely subjective. Just being a Polyglot already makes her extremely unusual. Her social difficulties stem from that, knowing a dozen languages but not how to talk to most people. It is hardly a wonder that as a child she lived in a world of her own imaginings that everyone else had to sort of play along with.

Given that both Kat and Doug speak multiple languages, and the household staff speak other languages as well, it is only natural that Marie with her intelligence and innate curiosity would be very proficient in picking up languages as well.
Marie started to learn Korean because Doug's studio was over a Korean shop and the owner was more than happy to teach her, then when Kat introduced a Ninja into Marie's life, Marie was more than happy to ask him to teach her a few words in Japanese.
I think that Marie will find that going to Trinity is going to be a safe space for her, as Jack will make sure that she isn't bothered by "Outside Actors" because he has more than a few clients who owe him some favors and have not so nice ways of getting that message across to them.
Also, Jack is going to put the word out to the international legal and business community that Marie is not to be directly approached with any offers, but Jack's firm is going to look at the packages being sent to Marie to weed them out.
I have so many different scenarios in my mind of what Marie is going to be offered if she graduates from Trinity, besides offers from law firms from around the world, there would be offers from the various Alphabet Soup International organizations like the League of Nations as an example, banks from Zürich to Tokyo to New York would want her, and I could see companies like IBM, Coca-Cola, Daimler-Benz, Ford, Toyota, Sony, to name a few to offer Marie the job of 'Personal Assistant to the CEO".

If Jack is getting ready to turn the reigns over to someone, wouldn't Marie make a good choice to take over the Family legal business. Running all the things that Jack does for Kat would make sense, and by having her serve an "Apprenticeship" with him at the law firm in Dublin would be a way to bring her along an introduce her into the other side of the families business.

Marie is going to Trinity mostly to delay any decision to decide what she is going to do with her life.
The relationship between Kat and Jack is one where Kat trusts Jack with her business, and Jack trusts Kat to do her worst if he screws up and betrays her.
Jack needs to find someone who can do the ethically and morally grey legal things that Kat needs to be done, while also be totally loyal to Kat and her family, that means whomever Jack finds has to be "In the Proper Mindset" and understand what the consequences are if that person betrays Kat and her family and respect that there is no escape for them from the wrath of Kat if that happens.

Part 148, Chapter 2685
Chapter Two Thousand Six Hundred Eighty-Five

5th June 1978

Königsberg, East Prussia

It was raining when Dalia Jankauskas arrived to work with only minutes to spare. The market was busy the way it was most weekday afternoons, so Dalia had to put on an apron and start helping customers as they came through the check stand almost immediately. She was aware of how she had water from her hair soaking into the collar of her blouse as she went about doing that. It felt as if they all seemed to want to come through at once.

As it was on most days, everyone was talking about the fishing quotas on the Baltic. It seemed like the entire town, or at least the portion that Dalia interacted with regularly, lived and died by what happened with the fishery. There was also the University and the curious tourists who passed through every summer. The tourists found a gritty industrial city with the canneries and boatyards, and seldom stuck around for long. Dalia’s mother had told her that the city had once boasted a quant Medieval core in the city center, but it had been left in ruins by the Soviet War and in a shortsighted act, the Town Council had ordered much of what was left pulled down with the exception of Königsberg Castle. What had replaced it in the decades since could only be described as brutalist and ugly, but perfect for housing the refugees who had flooded into the city during the war as Lithuania and East Prussia had been major battlefields. It seemed like whenever the Greens were having an argument about Urban Planning, they always pointed to Königsberg as a cautionary example of what could go wrong. Small wonder that Königsberg was one of the few cities that they had never been too welcome in.

For Dalia, it was her world.

She had seen the Campus of the Albertina University of Königsberg and when she had been a small child she had thought that it was what Heaven must look like. It was only as she had progressed into her teenage years that she had discovered that she was far more likely to get into Heaven. Being an ethnic Lithuanian in a German city had meant that she was on the back foot from the day she had been born, school had been a complete disaster for her right up until she had refused to ever go back. The last day of that had involved Dalia’s teacher berating her over her illiteracy in front of the class. That man standing there red-faced with rage yelling about how she was stupid and worthless was not something that she was ever going to forget. Forgetting about education and just getting a job was a matter of survival.

The next customer came through and Dalia rang up the items.

What was stupid was how she was perfectly able to ring up the items and count back the change, that made perfect sense. Then the woman who she was ringing up threw a magazine onto the counter as Dalia was counting back her change. It was one of the glossy magazines that the market sold, mostly celebrity gossip and this one had a photograph of the Emperor and Empress on the front page. There were words printed across it and they meant nothing to Dalia, it was a reminder as to how stupid she was.

Idlewild International Airport, New York City, New York

Ed was taking no chances as they driven Andreas Baader from the holding cell at the New York Field Office. That involved a dozen FBI Agents armed with rifles in addition to their regular service pistols and wearing bulletproof vests. If anyone wanted to contest this extradition then they had better have an army backing them up.

While they had every indication that Baader didn’t have any local accomplices, his former employer was a different story. By now it would have been very noticeable that Baader had not turned up at Rikers Island. His employer’s associates by now would have leaped to certain logical conclusions. If they had somehow learned that Baader was being transported to Idlewild then it would confirm their assumptions. Those assumptions being wrong didn’t matter in the least. Making an example of a snitch would be all they would care about and that usually involved boxes of bullets.

Rather than heading for the terminal, the four vans that were being used for transporting the prisoner drove directly onto the Airport tarmac to where a private plane owned by the German Government that was used for sensitive operations exactly like this one. Ed could see that there were already men in the green uniforms of the German Federal Police had already set up a perimeter and they were armed with MP5s that were seldom seen on this side of the Atlantic showing just how serious they were taking this. Just like the FBI, they wanted this whole thing to go smoothly.

Ed recognized Sven Werth in his black suit as the vans pulled up next to the plane. The German BII Senior Director nodded as he saw Ed get out of the second van. It seemed like Werth was unaffected by what was a summer afternoon with the sun bearing down on them and concrete they were standing on radiating the heat. Ed could already feel the sweat trickling down his sides. Once it was clear that nothing was amiss, Ed signaled for Jimmy to slide open the door of the van and he was not particularly gentle in half walking half dragging Baader towards the waiting airplane.

Werth said something to Baader in German, and he went white as a ghost. With a sudden movement he slipped out of Jimmy’s grasp and tried to make a run for it, but only made it a few feet before he was clubbed down by the butt of one of the German Policemen’s submachine guns.

“You filled your end of the bargain Agent O’Neal, this is mine” With that Werth handed Ed an accordion file that was heavier than he expected as Baader was dragged up the stairs onto the plane. “You won’t find happiness in this.”

“I don’t care” Ed replied as the German Police were boarding the airplane.

“All about the principle” Werth said, “You might want to familiarize yourself with Hans Kohlhaas.”

“I have no idea who that is” Ed replied.

Werth just shrugged and boarded the plane just before one of his men closed the door. Ed watched as the plane taxied to the runway and with a roar of the turbofan engines took off.

Last edited:
Werth said something to Baader in German, and he went white as a ghost. With a sudden movement he slipped out of Jimmy’s grasp and tried to make a run for it, but only made it a few feet before he was clubbed down by the butt of one of the German Policemen’s submachine guns.
Werth: "The Tigress says hello, Herr Baader."
Baader: <system rebooting. install 'terror'.file.exe. run.>
“You filled your end of the bargain Agent O’Neal, this is mine” With that Werth handed Ed an accordion file that was heavier than he expected as Baader was dragged up the stairs onto the plane. “You won’t find happiness in this.”
O'Neal is about to find out that his partner was either dirty or in so far over his head that he might as well have been on the Oceancrest submersible.

And with that, we have several new, potential character threads sprout from the fertile pen of P-M . . .
Including an undiagnosed dyslexic too.
My Dad wasn't diagnosed with dyslexia until his 60's in the late 1990's, and his description of being at school during the early 1940's is a near mirror of this.

Including an undiagnosed dyslexic too.
My Dad wasn't diagnosed with dyslexia until his 60's in the late 1990's, and his description of being at school during the early 1940's is a near mirror of this.
My sister was lucky that she was caught by a teacher who was up-to-date on learning disabilities back in the late 1970s. Even then a few teachers still treated her like shit because of it.

Dalia had the misfortune that as a slavic foreigner she had an authoriatian teache who most likely saw teaching not as a vocation to enlighten inquisitive young minds, but as a cushy goverment job with secure pensions, cozy work adn vacation times and decent pay, with a downside of having to discipline the unruly brats. In addition, a student not leraning would never be his fault, allways the students. Such %!"§ are the bane of ever kid at school who has a genuie comprehension problem.

It does fit in with the stereotype of the draconian NCO turned teacher that was still somewhat wide spread in the OTL 60s, even if somewhat less so in reality. Authoritarian, not capable of dealing with anyone being out of the norm for any reason...

I wouldn't be surprised if some of reality of the stereotype persisted longer TTL, especially with a higher prestige for the military, especially in rural or otherwise 'less important' corners of the extended Empire that slipped through some cracks.

Knowing how this timeline works, Dalia is going to be both a surprising and logical addition, my personal take is that the way has ease with the counting of change is that she is an untapped mathematical genius.

Andres Baader has just learned what the future holds for him, and it is not going to be pleasant.

Part 148, Chapter 2686
Chapter Two Thousand Six Hundred Eighty-Six

8th June 1978

Berlin-Brandenburg International Airport, Schönefeld

First there was the rush to get to the airport. Then checking her luggage, getting through the security that seemed to have increased every time she came through the airport. Finally after all that came the most annoying part for Tatiana, having to wait at the gate because for some unknown reason the flight was repeatedly delayed. Sitting in the waiting area gave her plenty of time to think, which wasn’t what she wanted to be doing. She was still kicking herself for telling her family that she didn’t need anyone to see her off. They had all taken her at her word and had made other plans and Tatiana would have liked to have had someone to talk to while she was stuck waiting.

If only Tatiana’s mother had just let her go about her business the way she normally did. Instead she had had pulled her aside and told her about how the BND and BII suspected that there was a leak at the highest levels of the Government. Aunt Asia was the one heading the BND side the investigation and they were moving as quickly as they could. In the meantime, because of Tatiana enjoyed some weighty recommendations due to past activities, she had been assigned to the German Embassy in the Washington DC neighborhood of Foxhall Village. Tatiana’s mother had told her that she needed to avoid leaving the grounds of the Embassy and if she had to, to please use extreme caution. Then she made a point of saying that she couldn’t protect Tatiana in the United States. While Tatiana appreciated her mother’s efforts, like always it came across like if she still thought that Tatiana was a child.

Having Mialexa back had been a mixed bag. While Tatiana liked having her little sister back, Mia had gotten into this literary magazine that published short stories, some only a few paragraphs long, that seemed to be constructed with the intention of telling the most compelling story with the fewest words. It seemed to Tatiana that most of the stories dealt with topics of human cruelty, the frailty of life, how beauty and grace are often found in the most unlikely places. Her main takeaway was that the stories were relentlessly sad. Where it took a particularly disturbing and morbid turn was when Tatiana realized just who the narrator of many of those stories must be. As if the monochrome illustrations that often included a dark figure creeping around the edges wasn’t a giveaway. Of course, Mia had always been into that sort of thing and in the past Tatiana had redirected her towards something else. This time had been different in that Tatiana had been preparing to leave for the United States and it would take something far more than a dogeared copy of a Robert Louis Stevenson novel these days.

Then there was Malcolm and how Tatiana had been unable to talk him into acting sensibly. Her brother desperately wanted to be taken seriously and he was prepared to go to extraordinary lengths. He had been using his access to high-resolution photographs of any place on Earth to impress the mountaineering community. Those photos were a Cartographer’s dream come true in that they could see detail down to within centimeters. The trouble was that the mountain he had been looking at was one that had gained an evil reputation because it had never been successfully summited. The closest that anyone had gotten was two climbers from an Italian expedition twenty-four years earlier who had vanished on the mountain when their resupply effort had been unable to find their camp and had been forced to retreat due to the weather. Other expeditions had found nothing but calamity on that mountain.

Now Malcolm was trying to get into an expedition, spending a lot of time trying to convince the man who would lead it that he was up to scratch. His thinking was that if he just reached the summit of Karakoram II then he would gain the acceptance he had always wanted. Tatiana had asked him if he could hear what he was saying, it was a mountain that was so remote and dangerous that had never been given a name. Malcolm had pointed out that it represented one more reason why they needed him, his connections to the Luftwaffe meant that he could help simplify the logistics with just a phone call. The Luftwaffe was always looking for good press and helping to supply a successful expedition was exactly that. Tatiana couldn’t believe how thick her brother had been when they had talked. That mountain killed people. Last Tatiana looked there wasn’t anything particularly special about Malcolm other than being her twin brother. If anything happened to him, it would be like losing a key piece of herself in the process…

With that, boarding of Tatiana’s flight was finally starting. Getting up from her chair, she fished around in her purse until she found the envelope with her ticket and her passport. The attendant at the gate looked them over before handing them back to her with a smile before marking down that she was boarding the airplane. Even though she had no real desire to take on the role that everyone seemed to be pushing her towards, working for the Foreign Office in Washington DC was closer to what she wanted to be doing than most of the other alternatives.