Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Interesting if some of the people in the High Command don't know where Eric is sent because he is needed to testify. Might have some senior NCO's get on their telegraph to drop a few hints, if not actually pass the word along say over drinks about the strange thing that happened today some officer and a platoon to some old Komerad by the name of Reier.
The OKM knows exactly where Erich is, they were the ones who sent him there.

Erich is finding out that this is his first day of Sea Lion training, and he just past the first test by getting everybody off the beach.

"Normally" you'd know you're going for training with the Sealions.
Given Peabody's comments, this sounds like someone from the OKM protecting the Ozelot's captain in the most remarkably stupid way possible.

While Erich may be on the Navy's shitlist, whoever has done this has made a minor sounding miscalculation:

They've declared war on a Schultz.
Not Erich, (although I have little doubt that he was being fitted up to become one, whether he wanted to or not), but by messing with a Marine, a Marine known to Tilo, they've fired the first shots in a war that is only going to end one way.

Of course, if it IS a war, then the Schultz's may call upon their various allies: the Von Mischners, the Von Richthofen's, and by extension, the Von Preussens.

Though the latter are certainly the nuclear option.

I think that we may see a new character who is not of the Dr. Berg and Dr. Tanggermann(sp) mode of "Straight Talk" but is very "Special" in her own way and is able to get through to Marie when others have failed.
Kat, Suga, and Kiki are going to tell Marie to commit herself to a path to Adulthood, and this may give Marie the incentive to finally force herself to really do what she wants to do despite her fears of letting others being disappointed in her.

Not Erich, (although I have little doubt that he was being fitted up to become one, whether he wanted to or not), but by messing with a Marine, a Marine known to Tilo, they've fired the first shots in a war that is only going to end one way.
Guarantee you Tilo has considered what Chesty Puller would think of Erich, too.

"Normally" you'd know you're going for training with the Sealions.
Given Peabody's comments, this sounds like someone from the OKM protecting the Ozelot's captain in the most remarkably stupid way possible.

While Erich may be on the Navy's shitlist, whoever has done this has made a minor sounding miscalculation:

Of course, if it IS a war, then the Schultz's may call upon their various allies: the Von Mischners, the Von Richthofen's, and by extension, the Von Preussens.

Though the latter are certainly the nuclear option.
1) Kat didn't know she was joining what became the Hellcats until well after she'd been 'seconded' to them.
2) Considering that Tilo is probably the most dangerous person since the Spider himself to hold such senior rank within the K-M, and definitely the most dangerous Shultz, whoever has declared that war is an idiot.
3) The von Preussens' definitely rest a little easier knowing that three such formidable families are serving their empire, despite the occasional 'headache' they may cause.

the Maid of Honor wasn’t German tradition
Correct. Having a Trauzeuge isn't tradition, it's legal requirement.
At least it was until relatively recently OTL.

And yeah, sure, a Trauzeuge isn't 1:1 the job a 'best man' or 'maid of honor' does, legally it's just two witnesses for the marriage. But in effect what they do by tradition is close enough.

While their are some in the KLM who wants to cover things up and make them go away, Tilo is Deputy Chief of OKM and the Marine Infantry is basically his own personal domain at this time, there is no way that Tilo is kept out of the loop on where Erich is sent to.
Investigations take time and having Erich undergo Sea Lion training is a great way of getting him out of the way while at the same time keeping track of him.

Part 151, Chapter 2744
Chapter Two Thousand Seven Hundred and Forty-Four

25th December 1978

Heligoland

Once on the island, they had been directed up a path through cold drizzle and into what turned out to be an extensive tunnel system. Or at least everyone assumed that it was extensive because there were heavy steel doors that were locked from the other side that limited them to a small portion of it.

Their captors had made a point of telling them all about the Christmas dinner that they had missed out on that afternoon. Erich could see that many of the men under his command were angered by this. They had spent the day huddled in the tunnels with whatever warmth they could find, and every meal had been cold rations as there was no fuel that could be used to heat water. The few times that one of them had gotten to the surface, they had seen that there was town just down the hill. No sooner then they had made that discovery then they had been expressly forbidden from leaving the tunnels.

It didn’t take too much imagination to realize that Erich was at the limits of his authority. Everyone was cold despite wearing whatever clothes they had managed to bring, and while hunger wasn’t a problem just yet, lack of sleep certainly was. Like him, everyone else had been woken up in the night and shoved onto the Landing Craft. They had had little sleep since. Once again they were ordered to fall in. Despite no one wanting to obey, force of habit still prevailed.

“Raeder!” One of their tormentors called out. They had shown absolutely no deference to his rank since he had gotten here.

“Right here” Erich said stepping forward.

“It says here that you are an Oberleutnant” The man who was a Hauptfeldwebel said reading from a clipboard, if what he was wearing on his uniform was to be believed. “Cadet Institute, Mürwik Naval Academy.”

“There has been some sort of misunderstanding here” Erich said and was met with sneering laughter.

“No misunderstanding” The Hauptfeldwebel said without looking up, using a pen to scratch a few things out on the page of paper he had been reading from. “And you will find that your rank means nothing here.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Erich demanded.

The Hauptfeldwebel just gave Erich a look that suggested that further arguments would get him nowhere.

“What was that about?” The Feldwebel who Erich had been working with asked.

“Life just got more complicated Feld” Erich replied.

Had he figured that he would just pull rank, and all this would just go away? Erich thought to himself. Absolutely nothing he had seen over the last twelve hours suggested that would fly. What did he do in the meantime?

“Dreher” The Feldwebel said.

“Excuse me?” Erich asked.

“It’s not just Feld” Dreher replied, “I heard that your name is Raeder, you really went to Mürwik?”

“Yeah” Erich replied, he saw no reason to deny that.

“You think that they are going to get hot food to us or something soon?” Dreher asked, “They can’t just leave us to freeze tonight. Can they?”

Erich just hoped that Dreher was right.

Tempelhof, Berlin

As much as Kat hated to admit it, there were times when she wished that Marie Alexandra was more like Tatiana. This was because Marie was terrified to disappointing the people whose opinions she cared about, Tatiana didn’t seem to care. That had led Tatiana to stand up to Kat on a few occasions that had always been followed by long periods of silence. While Kat might not like that as it was happening, she always had the idea in the back of her mind that Tatiana would come around eventually. She had absolutely no doubt what her oldest daughter would have said to the likes of Jack Kennedy as he tried to rope her into one of his schemes. The only surprising aspect of this whole thing was that Marie had suggested to Suga that a new Kammerfräulein should be found. That was as close to standing up for herself as Kat could remember Marie ever doing.

The truth of that was on full display as Kat had spoken at length about Marie’s various health problems that had resulted in her fainting. Iron deficiency anemia, exhaustion, and generalized anxiety. It had also been noted that Marie was underweight. It was easy to understand why that had happened, Marie had thrown herself into being a student and no one had been there this time to make sure that she didn’t neglect every other consideration. Despite her judgmental attitude and bigoted perspective, Margot Blackwood had been good at tempering Marie’s worst impulses, as much as Kat absolutely hated to admit it. Marie had also grown painfully shy as she had grown older, which certainly explained the anxiety. When Marie was in the hospital, she had been surrounded by strangers.

All of that had led to the meeting with Kat, Suga, and Kiki. Suga and Kiki were understandably concerned by what had happened, it had been Suga’s tearoom where Marie had fainted. Kat had offered to pay for any damage that had resulted. The floor of the tearoom was clear maple that would stain if you looked at it too hard. Suga had just shrugged and said it was part of the history of the tearoom. The difficulty was that they had not reached any conclusions about what to do about Marie.

Tilo is checking Eric out at this stage. I wonder how much of this was planned in a conspiracy with his mother or this is something he thought up on his own.

First off, Erich needs to take charge, access the situation, find out what he and the others have in common, so far all we know is that Erich is the only officer and everyone else is either a NCO or Other Ranks and they all are from different units.
This leads me to believe that that they are undergoing Sea Lion training, and that you don't volunteer for the Sea Lions but are "volunteered" for it,
Erich needs to explore his options and formulate a Plan of Action.

As for Marie, she should continue to go Trinity as that is giving her a focus for now.
What Marie needs is a minder to make Marie take care of herself, fortunately for her, Kiki has an older Irish nanny who is unable to go to Argentina with the family and would like some light employment back home.
As to get Marie more socially active, it is quite a coincidence that Jack and Brigid have a very gregarious daughter named Jackie who is attending UCD and that the apartment that Marie is using has more than enough room for everyone.

As to get Marie more socially active, it is quite a coincidence that Jack and Brigid have a very gregarious daughter named Jackie who is attending UCD and that the apartment that Marie is using has more than enough room for everyone.
Christ above, putting a Trinner student in with a UCD head in the one apartment might cause the first nuclear reaction on Irish soil due to trying to cram that much ego into one room....

(I say with  total lack of ego from DCU of course :p)

Christ above, putting a Trinner student in with a UCD head in the one apartment might cause the first nuclear reaction on Irish soil due to trying to cram that much ego into one room....

(I say with  total lack of ego from DCU of course :p)
I don't have any experience with the local reputations of those schools but as a person with family alums of multiple colleges and universities on the east coast at the top of the "totally fair college rankings" I think I get the gist all the same.

If Heligoland is the selection centre for the Sealions, that would explain the shitty journey across the Heligoland Bight in an open-topped landing craft to a beach on Heligoland, them being kept in cold, wet clothing, the cold rations and the sleep deprivation. This part would designed to test the leadership potential within the group, as well as their discipline and moral in a situation designed to be extremely disorienting and aggravating.

Unless Erich flips the script and leads everyone out of the tunnel and into the town before "taking" the strategic point of the first Gasthaus they come across?

I don't have any experience with the local reputations of those schools but as a person with family alums of multiple colleges and universities on the east coast at the top of the "totally fair college rankings" I think I get the gist all the same.
To translate to Yankee terms:

Trinity is Harvard
UCD is Yale