Terres Australes | Alternative World Thread by Substantial_Habit

I imagine the regions most similar to Kerguelen in terms of flora would be New Zealand and Patagonia, more so the latter due to the colder climate. It'd also be a good glimpse into what Antarctica looked like before it became a giant freezer.
Exactly, after the glaciation of Antarctica, Kerguelen became the last pure remnant of the flora and fauna of the Antarctic dominion.

This photo of course leads to the question. With as isolated as Kurgulen is, would there be trees? Geologically, I'm not sure if Kurgulen was closer to a landmass with Trees earlier in its history.
Kerguelen would’ve been fairly close to Antarctica during the Late Cretaceous and Early Eocene, when it was a green continent. Regardless of that, plenty of islands as isolated as this one have trees (e.g. Hawaii). I think the areas north of about 50S would be perfectly capable of supporting forests.

Fauna is another story as it’d be limited to whatever could swim or fly there. Sure, you might get marsupials fleeing Antarctica as the continent freezes over roughly 30 mya, but would they manage to survive subsequent ice ages and climatic changes on Kerguelen?

Last edited:
Fauna is another story as it’d be limited to whatever could swim or fly there. Sure, you might get marsupials fleeing Antarctica as the continent freezes over roughly 30 mya, but would they manage to survive subsequent ice ages and climatic changes on Kerguelen?
I sure hope so, but it is really up in the air. Maybe the northern coast of the island remains mild enough for the marsupials to hold out and recolonize the remainder in warmer eras, much like the flora we talked about previously. I can only imagine what fascinating creatures would live on an enlarged Kerguelen.

Biodiversity of Kerguelen: Flora and Fauna
Finally, a brief overview of the flora and fauna of Kerguelen. Thank you for you patience dear watchers!!
(Please note that I'm not an expert in biology. However, I tried to make the biodiversity of Kerguelen as realistic as possible, while incuding all the species that I had in mind )
7fV32Np.jpg

Last edited:
Finally, a brief overview of the flora and fauna of Kerguelen. Thank you for you patience dear watchers!!
(Please note that I'm not an expert in biology. However, I tried to make the biodiversity of Kerguelen as realistic as possible, while incuding all the species that I had in mind )

kergu_ecolog.jpg
So the wildlife of Kerguelen is a Gondwana remnant. I suppose this only reinforces the similarities that it would have to New Zealand and Tasmania. Are the species named Austral (species) closely related to Australian counterparts, or just look similar?

So the wildlife of Kerguelen is a Gondwana remnant. I suppose this only reinforces the similarities that it would have to New Zealand and Tasmania. Are the species named Austral (species) closely related to Australian counterparts, or just look similar?
Exactly, most of Kerguelen's endemic species are closely related to species in both Australia and New Zealand, and also Southern America.

kergu_ecolog.jpg
Very nice work. I'm glad to see that Kerguelen still has flora and fauna that went extinct when Antarctica iced over. Where are most of these pictures from?

Great TL so far!

Sad not to see any ratites but I guess they can't be everywhere. Seems likely that any large flightless bird would be hunted to extinction by the first Europeans though so maybe to be expected.

Maybe but inspired a names that you could name.

What about Western Australia if the French would have colonized the island, it might be Dutch or whatsoever?
Australia would remain the same in this TTL as in ours, perhaps a bit more populated. However, I've imagined the Broken Ridge as an ex-Dutch colony (more about it on the future).