The Last Gasp of the Diadochi.

I. What have we come to

Off the Greek Coast, September 5th, 31BC​

Not far out of sight from land, an armada was moving. About 120 ships in total sliced through the calm waters of the Ionian Sea. The rowers were resting with their oars packed in the lower decks, the sails would suffice today. In the center of this armada, a special quadrireme stood, larger than almost every other ship in the fleet. Rather than the armored towers full of missile troops and waiting swordsmen that many others perched on their decks, this ship more resembled a floating palace, a luxurious flagship fit for a queen. In the largest chamber of the vessel, Cleopatra VII Thea Philopator, Pharoah of Egypt, reclined on a sofa as her servant read her a report. "117 ships survived your majesty, all in good condition for sailing." The queen did not react, despite the countless worries she had swirling in her mind "Soldiers?" She neither blinked nor turned to look at the man, who dutifly continued to read "6,000 of your majesty's forces, as well as 3,000 Romaioi."

With a single look Cleopatra dismissed the servant, and turned to one of her personal attendants "I'm guessing He's still there." The young lady-in-waiting glumly nodded "Yes your majesty, he hardly moved all night, he did accept some wine though." the Pharoah rolled her eyes "How typical, I guess I'll have a go at him again "Is that really wise your majesty? He likes a fight and is in a poor mood, not a good combination." Cleopatra stood and strode onto the open deck of the ship, motioning as she did so for three swordsmen to follow her.

At the prow of Cleopatra's flagship, former Consul and Triumvir Marcus Antonius sat, gazing into the distance. Two years ago he'd had every advantage in Greece, and was prepared to crush the armies of his rival Gaius Julius Caesar (Formerly known as Gaius Octavius) and his general Agrippa. Now his fleet was crushed, barely a third of his ships escaped, hardly any of them even Romans. While he didn't know it yet, his forces abandoned on the shores of Actium had surrendered, and the alliances in the East he'd spent a decade solidifying were poised to be dismantled at the will of Caesar with a mere word. Egypt would never last against the might of all Rome, and he knew it. As his thoughts stewed, a familar voice rang out "Marcus?" He scowled.

"You must come to your senses Marcus, I need you at your best." Finally he turned his head "My best?" He said with venom "You saw my best back there" He pointed to the rear "And you fucking ran! You imbred sow!" he lunged, and the swordsmen to her reardrew their blades. He held his position a moment, and thinking better of it, sat back down "Listen to me now" Cleopatra said more softly as she knelt beside him "We still have four legions in Libya, my own forces in Alexandria. We have time Marcus, and we have secrutity, Octavius won't catch us yet." Antonius shrugged "So we have a year at most? Before he crushes us and takes Alexandria?" "More or less, but that's enough time." "Indeed." be bitterly chuckled "Time enought to update my will." "I've been in much tighter spots than this, literally. Even a few months is plenty, I have a plan.

Meanwhile at Actium​

Marcus Agrippa sat in the command tent of his consul, as he filed through reports "He wants all the old folks gone, that's that. Any serious injuries, same deal, we have too many guys to pay."'His slaves and clerks nodded as they got to work copying down his orders. The orders were in fact his own, but Caesar had insisted he take the credit. Really the man was 'sick' in his bed, really he just hated army matter, and was negotiating with Antonius' former allies. Romans would be treated equally, no matter which claimaint they'd supported a week ago. The army was too missive for its own good, so the fat had to be trimmed. Caesar suddenly appeared, and briskly walked into the tent "We got them all." He said, unusually chipper "Every one of his allies is ours."

"That just leaves Herod then." He mused "Yes, but he'll not stand against us, it would mean his states annihilation." Agrippa nodded "Good, we can start the march now, here's what I suggest" he pulled out a map of the Eastern Mediterranean "We divide the army, one half goes down through Syria, the other lands in Libya. They'll be confused, and one of us is sure to win, the other can afford to lose." Caesar smiled "Thank you my friend, make it so." Agrippa nodded "But they'll have plenty of time to run." Caesar waved him off "They're not that time, Antonius is an old style man, she loves her throne, they'll die there." Agrippa let the matter drop, as he got a bad feeling his boss was wrong.

II: A Masterpiece in Contingency

Royal Palace of Alexandria, November 5th, 31BC​

"I am telling you, this cute little scheme of yours isn't going to work." Marcus Antonius fumed as he paced the throneroom of Egypt. He was in a poor mood, the stench of expensive wine and Egyptian women still in his breath. The legions in Libya had defected, and he was left with a miniscule force to defend the city. "It's the only plan we have that could work, Marcus, what do you suggest?" Cleopatra "I make a stand, and make Mars proud with my death." Cleopatra grumbled "And that's very romantic of you, but I enjoy being alive-" "You enjoy your throne." The Roman countered "Take my advice, and a dagger, and take care of yourself unless you want to end up like dead old Arsinoe, dragged into the forum for all to see." The Pharoah scowled at him before saying very plainly "I have no intention of choosing either of those fates Antonius, you Romans are so narrowminded."

Evev as the spoke, any trees that could be found were being felled, and teams of slaves and workers hauling massive ships out of the docks in Pelusium. "They'll never make it you know." "They'll make it, it's been done plenty of times." Antonius scoffed "Then what? We fuck off to India? We end up as shit farming fugitives for the rest of our lives? How lovely." Cleopatra sighed, frustrated at the naivety of her lover "We're in Egypt you know, you can not fathom just how rich I am. We'll be like gods over there, me especially. I'm a decendant of the generals of Alexander, those far flung Indian Greeks will worship us." "Worship you." Antony seethed.

Just then though, Antonius gave the plan a rare sober thought of his. What use could he be in India? Perhaps much, surely those barbarians didn't have the organization of the legions, not to mention from what little he gleaned from the Egyptians, those Greeks weren't faring so well. The idea of dying a true soldier, suddenly seemed chilling to him "Fine" He eventually spoke after a long silence "I'll send my men to guard the transports, the Arabs over there may not be as friendly as we'd like." Cleopatra smiled as he came to reason for once. She stood, and wrapped her arms around him "There's the man I met at Tarsos, We'll have the details arranged today, and you." She pointed at Antonius "Are staying here tonight." The Roman smiled "Who am I to disobey a queen in her throne room."

Meanwhile, in Asia Minor​

"You're sure?" Ceasar asked the Legate who'd brought his report "Yes sir, sounds like it's already in the works." "India, so they're running. That could be an issue." "That's not all sir, whatever warships survived Actium seem to be getting rolled over the Sinai as well, not just transports." Caesar thought on that for a long moment, before realizing what his foe's were doing "Those bastards." "Sir?" the legate didn't understand "She's going to try and cut the trade with India. Likely she thinks I'll cut a deal "Will you sir?" Caesar stared at the general with a blank and cold expression "Sorry sir." "We'll have to get the Arabs to stop them, otherwise this will be a mess. Find a messenger, have the Arabs informed we need a favor." "Yes sir." The general saluted and left the dictator to his thoughts. "Just a bit longer father." he thought "And all that you wished shall be made real"

III: A Nameless Skirmish in the Desert

Central Sinai, December 3rd, 31BC​

Centurion Lucius Vorenus was sweating like a pig in his armor. The Desert sun baked the parched earth with it's rays. The whole cohort was barely upright, indeed many of the men had been tossed into the great ships that the locals now drug through the wasteland. Perched atop great logs, they were inched forward by teams of men with ropes, an overseer periodically shouting "Pull! Pull! Pull!" in Egyptian. Someone had been merciful enough to store some water and a rancid imitation of posca on board as well, there wasn't a well or spring to be found out here. "All this to help my general escape..." the centurion muttered under his breath "Now that is soldiering."

Just then one of the cavalrymen who'd been attached to the cohort arrived, a grim look on his face "Master." he said as he saluted "Permission to report." "Go on." Vorenus said quickly "Arab camel riders are approaching, about 600." Vorenus' face fell at that, even with the 30 cavalry, he was outnumbered by almost a hundred men. Seeing some heights to his left, he spoke "Take your horses on that hill, hold the charge until the engagement begins. "Understood." The cavalrymen left. Not pausing, he called to one of the junior centurion "Form up a line three ranks deep in front of the ships, get the workers on them!" Orders flew, as with almost robotic discipline the cohort formed up for battle, even a few of the sick and heatstroked stumbling to their feet. Within moments, Vorenus was at the center of a line of ironclad Roman warriors, shields locked. "Prepare for cavalry! Retain your Pila!" The men used their javelins as spears, presenting a far of armor and spikes. Moments later the Arabs appeared, camels trotting into a gallop.

The cohort braced itself as the animals approached, death grips on their weapons. "You are soldiers! You are Antonius' finest! Let these brutes find out!" There was just the beating of hooves, then the Arabs made contact. Some camels pulled away from the iron wall, others were pushed into it by the weight of more animals behind them. Men and beast alike screamed as the line stood up to the enemy, gladii and Pila and spear meeting armor and flesh. After several painful and bloody minutes, the Roman cavalry slammed into the rear and flank of the Arabs, who finnally fled, the Romans not bothering to chase them..

The counted counted thirty dead and sixty five wounded, not bad, considering at triple that many camel riders were dead and baking in the sun. As the men cheered and screamed and cried around him, Vorenus continued to give out orders "Rope up the captured camels, we'll have them run water from the camp! Send a rider back North, tell them we need support!" He continued to shout. "And send a message to General Antonius, tell him we've done our duty!" The cohort cheered some more at this, none of them truely realized the gravity of this nameless skirmish.

IV: Preparations

Myos Hormos, February 23rd,​

The harbor city on the Indian ocean was usually quite sleepy at this time of year. Coastal traders and fisherman would come and go, and the occasional trade ship that had gotten lost would limp into port, its crew racked with dehydration and scurvy. Today however the port was packed with both war galleys and trading ships, many already packed high with gold and treasure. The local Nomarch's palace was similarly packed, but not by mere treasure, his palace was stuffed with the courtiers of his Pharoah. His rooms were now filled with slaves, servants and workers of all types, who tirelessly compiled the inventory of the fleet awaiting in port.

Cleopatra sat in her throne, working out the details of her flagship "For the hundredth time, silver plated oars, not pure silver, how in Hades are the rowers to row something so heavy?" Her slave looked mortified "Of course your majesty, I'll have that sorted at once." Without bothering to face the man, she added "And make sure the dyers have multiple purple sails, we'll need spares." the slave nodded and hurried off. In the far corner, not paying the slightest attention to his lover's conversation, General Antonius was talking with a centurion who'd just arrived "You saved our asses you know." Antonius slapped him on the shoulder "Good fucking work!" "Thank you master." Lucius Vorenus said stoicly "Will that be all?" "You think I called you all the way from the Sinai to thank you? No, no, I have an offer for you."

The Centurion didn't speak, so Antonius continued "I want you to come to India with me, not for free of course." He slapped a small pouch tied to his belt "You'll be compensated of course." "Sir with all due respect, I'm a soldier of the republic "Vorenus, I make myself a hypocrite when I say this, but stop thinking like such a soldier." He gestured broadly "The republic died the moment Caesar entered Rome, everyone's just too scared to bury the corpse." Vorenus paused a long moment "Still sir, there is nothing for me in India." A devious grin crossed the face of Antonius "And what is there for you in Rome, hmm? Your wife? Your children." The centurion's composure cracked slightly "Unless you want to borrow my sword, and I'm no man to judge, you won't be seeing them any time quite so soon."

Antonius put his arm around the man, and slowly walked him across the room "Think about it, what can those barbarians know about how to be a soldier? You could show them. Sure Octavius would doubtless retain you, but you'll never be more than a cohort commander. Over there you could be General Vorenus, someone who's name commands proper respect. Tell you what." He threw the pouch of gold down "Take some time to think about it. Give half of that to your soldiers, see if you can get some of them to join us, I want a good Roman garrison there." Vorenus thought for a moment "Is that an order master?" Antonius was puzzled for a moment, before the realization hit him "Yes" he smiled "That is an order. See to your duty centurion Vorenus." The centurion saluted and marched away.

"That reminds me your Majesty!" he called out to Cleopatra "Make sure we bring lots of wine, I hear the Indians can't make that stuff!" The queen sighed "Obviously, now do you have something important to discuss?" She couldn't stand the Roman some days "Yes actually, I want a legion's worth of gear on the warships, I'll be taking some with me." The queen simply snapped her fingers as several servants carried out the demand "Now then." She stood and dusted off her dress that was worth more than some nations "I think I'll retire for the evening. I'll make myself drunk to night" She held out her hand for Antonius "I don't have to ask you to join me." The Roman smiled as he took her hand "Hardly."

They're already defeated, besides a few local indians now spotting greeks and romans names, nothing changes

They're already defeated, besides a few local indians now spotting greeks and romans names, nothing changes
Well you heard it everyone, TL's over. All kidding aside I think a literal armada of gold showing up on your kingdoms front door would change things.

I mean immediately? Yeah not much happens. There’s nothing that’s gonna really change the wars outcome. Long term I question the realistic longevity of such an empire as well before it becomes just another Indian kingdom. Over the medium term though things can get weird. Let’s say this Greco-Indo-Roman kingdom last a hundred years and things are relatively the same in Rome. There’s a few major moments of instability when an outside player with a veneer of respectability could make a play for the throne. Or maybe said groups would ally against the Parthians.

V: Something is Rotten in the State of Egypt
(Note: There's very little information to go on as to what the Indo-Greek kingdom was like at this time, so a lot of this is just based off what little we know)

Sagala, March 3rd, 30BC​

King Apollophanes Sotor listened with intrigue to what his advisor told him "The Ptolomies are out then?" "It would seem that way my Basileus. From what we've heard, those Rhōmais defeated them back in Summer." It's Cleopatra, what the VI?" "VII I believe, yes." "And she's coming here?" "Well not here specifically Basileus, to Barbaricon at first." The king of Punjab thought on that for a moment, standing from his stone throne, and walking to a palace window to see his city. Sagala had seen better days for sure, only a few crumbling Greek and Buddhist temples stood out for their stonework, the rest were shoddy houses of wood and mudbrick.

"Was there more?" "Yes, Basileus. They say she's coming with a massive fleet, well over a hundred ships piled with her kingdom's treasure." "Surely that's the sort of thing that gets exaggerated along the way." His advisor nodded "Still, she could be an asset." The king did not follow his subject's thinking "What does having a former queen in my court give me besides hollow prestige?" "It's not just her my king, it's her treasure. The Egyptians have been hoarding gold since before your people existed, even a fraction of that could be good for us." The king nodded "And she's no mere former queen, she's a direct decendant of the Diadochi." The advisor looked suddenly tense "And sire, she has several children, sons and daughters." "A marriage alliance? That could work, my daughters would get great prestige from marrying a Ptolomy." The king was no young man, his daughters were all he was likely to get. And with Strato and his son always raising a stink at court functions, he could use every scrap of legitmacy he could get.

The king thought a long while, then came to a decision "Send an envoy to Barbaricon, a large one. When and if she arrives, we'll invite her and all her followers to Sagala, on the condition she take her wealth with her." The advisor nodded and with a bow, left the king to his thoughts, and Apollophanes had many. Granting himself a moment of meditation, he cleared his mind of all other matters. He'd often felt his life came during the closing chapters of his people, maybe he could change those fortunes...

First, is this the Indo-Greek Kingdom Cleo and Co are making their way to? Second (if so), does this kingdom have trade with the Han Empire? Third (if so), does that mean there's a possibility -- however remote it may be -- of Mark Antony making his way to China?

Hard to read. Stop boxing multiple discussions in the same paragraph, whenever someone different speaks or such should be in a new paragraph.

VI: Welcoming Comittee

Outskirts of Alexandria, June 30th, 30BC​

Ceasar and his bodyguard could finally see the famed lighthouse of Alexandria, its flame the only star still present in the late dawn light. As his own army had closed in on the city, and with no word from Agrippa of any forces opposing him, it seemed likely that the Egyptian army, if it still existed, had taken shelter in the capital. As his riders came within sight of the walls, a scout approached "Hail Caesar!" He saluted, and once it was returned he reported "No sign of anyone master, soldier or civilian. We rode straight up to the wall and got no response, and every gate is open." "Thank you optio" Caesar replied "Ride back to camp and tell the army to enter the city, but to behave well, no looting." "Yes master!" The horseman rode off.

An hour later, Caesar and his forces entered the great city of Alexandria, though it seemed more akin to a city of ghosts. Not a soul could be found on the streets, not a murmur could be heard as Caesar and the vanguard legion marched through the canopian gate. Caesar was an awe with the infrastructure of the city. a grid plan of well maintained and paved streets, public works and monuments out the wazoo. It shamed him to think it, but even the holy city of Rome was almost a slum in comparison. Still, as he made his way towards the great harbor and royal quarter of the city, nobody was there to greet him. No general, no governor, not even a lower public official. It was eerie, and even the legionaries could be seen to be at unease.

The royal palace was little different, save for a handful of servents and newly freed slaves, none of whom knew anything. Caesar sat in the former throne of the Ptolemies, as his worst fear seemed to be confirmed. Those bastards he thought, outwardly showing no emotion, but with a storm raging in his head Of all the times to join your lover in cowardice Antonius, you pick now. "Hail Caesar!" The salute of a centurion snapped him out of his brooding "We found someone master, the closest thing to a government official left in the city. He claims to be in charge of sewer maintainance." Caesar saw the Egyptian who'd been brought before him, clearly terrified as two soldiers restrained him. "Throw him to the floor." he ordered "What's that master?" The centurion asked "Throw him. To the floor." "Ah."

With a nod of confirmation the soldiers complied, and the official was slammed into a prostrate position on the hard stone of the palace "What is your name, Egyptian?" Caesar asked sternly "Ptah, sir." The man stuttered out "Peter eh?" "No no, Ptah" His patience wearing thin, Caesar almost let his composure slip "Strike him centurion, very roughly!" The officer complied, and with a single blow sent shards of teeth and blood splatters across the chamber "Where's Cleopatra and Antonius? If you value your legs, you'll tell me." Still choking on his chipped teeth, the Egyptian gasped "They... They took the court, the treasure, and anyone who would follow them." "To where?" "India, sir. I wasn't told anything else."

With his captive's usefulness at an end, Caesar stood "Alright then, you're free to go. And your position will be intact, I assume you know more about Alexandrian sewers than anyone in my legions." Stunned and bleeding, the man raised himself, and shuffled out of the throne room. Turning to face the centurion, he said "Have Agrippa brought here as soon as possible, I want two legions to follow the Nile to the cataracts, just in case they're hiding down there. And tell him to find some men who are good with their hands, we may yet need them."

An hour later, Caesar and his forces entered the great city of Alexandria, though it seemed more akin to a city of ghosts. Not a soul could be found on the streets, not a murmur could be heard as Caesar and the vanguard legion marched through the canopian gate. Caesar was an awe with the infrastructure of the city. a grid plan of well maintained and paved streets, public works and monuments out the wazoo. It shamed him to think it, but even the holy city of Rome was almost a slum in comparison. Still, as he made his way towards the great harbor and royal quarter of the city, nobody was there to greet him. No general, no governor, not even a lower public official. It was eerie, and even the legionaries could be seen to be at unease.
OK, I am enjoying this, but I have to point this out -- Alexandria would have been a city with a population in the hundreds of thousands at the time of Cleopatra, easily the second or third largest city known to Rome at the time (depending on if said Romans knew about the Parthian capital). There is no way this entire civilian population fled with Cleopatra to India -- her army sure, and her court, and likely a good deal of the aristocracy as her hangers on, but the vast majority of the city would likely remain.
"We found someone master, the closest thing to a government official left in the city. He claims to be in charge of sewer maintainance." Caesar saw the Egyptian who'd been brought before him, clearly terrified as two soldiers restrained him. "Throw him to the floor." he ordered "What's that master?" The centurion asked "Throw him. To the floor." "Ah."

With a nod of confirmation the soldiers complied, and the official was slammed into a prostrate position on the hard stone of the palace "What is your name, Egyptian?" Caesar asked sternly "Ptah, sir." The man stuttered out "Peter eh?" "No no, Ptah" His patience wearing thin, Caesar almost let his composure slip "Strike him centurion, very roughly!" The officer complied, and with a single blow sent shards of teeth and blood splatters across the chamber.
Yes yes, we all get the reference here, but is this really in character for Octavian at this moment?

OK, I am enjoying this, but I have to point this out -- Alexandria would have been a city with a population in the hundreds of thousands at the time of Cleopatra, easily the second or third largest city known to Rome at the time (depending on if said Romans knew about the Parthian capital). There is no way this entire civilian population fled with Cleopatra to India -- her army sure, and her court, and likely a good deal of the aristocracy as her hangers on, but the vast majority of the city would likely remain.
Really appreciate the imput. I was not clear here and I apologize, they didn't flee, everyone is hiding indoors because they're expecting a sack.
Yes yes, we all get the reference here, but is this really in character for Octavian at this moment?
A bit, read what he did to some of the Liberator's soldiers, he had a cruel streak.