Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

My apologies @Red_Galiray for not offering comments on your latest installment to this outstanding TL. It was a stellar addition as always, and I eagerly await more. I do wonder of Grant's future (military and political). Is a future General in Chief position open to him? Or to any Union general for that matter?
Thank you very much! It's really kind of you to take the time to say this, and I really appreciate it. As for Grant, well, I won't say anything because it would be a spoiler ;)

I love Adam Ragusea. He's one of my favorite youtubers, especially for videos like these.

As far as potential Generals-in-Chief go, the obvious candidate is Reynolds (assuming he survives the war in a fit condition to serve), what with him being the victor of Union Mills and all. After Reynolds, the other two main candidates at this point are Grant (for Vicksburg) and Thomas (for Lexington). After this, we come to generals who did well IOTL but have yet to properly shine here, like Sherman (who I daresay will make Georgia howl yet), Sheridan (who IIRC is still a divisional commander and has yet to make a proper name for himself), and Meade (who will probably end up a senior corps commander under Reynolds, turning in solid but not particularly inspired performances). Doubleday might be a dark horse candidate, depending on how well he does with the USCT in future. A few more jobs like Fort Saratoga and Manchester might do the trick.

Of course, whoever ends up actually taking the Confederacy's surrender will certainly be seriously considered for the next presidential election, but I think Reynolds would refuse to the last gasp; from what I've read, he seems genuinely apolitical, if not anti-political, which may be a virtue in a soldier but not in a president. Same with Sherman. Thomas, I think, wouldn't get the nomination even if he dragged Breckinridge, Davis, Lee, and the rest of the Confederate government to Philadelphia in chains; even that wouldn't be enough to convince the Radicals to accept a Virginian, even if he was willing to take the job and sing from the same hymnal they did. As for Sheridan . . . President Sheridan is just too scary a thought even for the Radicals to contemplate. The most likely candidates would probably be Grant and Meade, but only if their senses of duty were sufficiently appealed to and they were between jobs.

With the fall and winter of 1863 coming up, there's plenty of time for generals and politicians to deliberate on their next moves. With the Mississippi Valley and Chattanooga gone and the Army of Northern Virginia bloodied, the battlegrounds seem set to be focused on Virginia, Georgia, Arkansas and Texas (with the possibility of Mobile, Charleston and Louisiana for battlegrounds). Historically, the Confederates used the shrinkage of their territory to their advantage. The rapid transfer of troops from one area to another and thwart the Union offensive was key at the battle of Chickamauga, where rebel reinforcements from Lee’s army played a decisive role in routing the Federal army.

ITTL, I could see the Confederates arguing on a passive or active defense strategy while the debate in Union high command is over where the blows would fall.
From the perspective of the Union commanders, Richmond and Atlanta are the obvious objectives for the campaign. Reynolds and Thomas would march their respective armies and advance towards the enemy and secure an advanced position or even the key cities. Reynolds could follow Meade's route down the Orange & Alexandria Railroad and fight his way past the Rappahannock and Rapidan rivers to reach Meade's OTL positions for an Overland Campaign. Alternatively, he could embark on Hooker's route (through the Wilderness) or Burnside's route (through Fredericksburg) to establish a position south of Fredericksburg (and the Rapidan River) before winter. The first option is appealing on a political and (probably) Reynolds' personal feelings because it prevents the Southerners from raiding the North again, while the latter is appealing to military men because of the greater flexibility (advance from the north to Richmond or return to the Peninsula).

Thomas' path is more straightforward: he has the option of marching straight south to Dalton, where there are rocky high ridges, or outflank them through Snake Creep Gap (the plan proposed by Thomas and actually carried out) or by marching to Rome (Sherman's original plan). Given how passive Joe Johnston is, I'm sure Thomas could outflank Joe Johnston. While Snake Creek Gap is not the fatal blow many have suggested it to be (Johnston did have an escape route), it gives Thomas the inner track to deny Johnston most of the defensive ground. I could see Thomas reaching as far as the south side of the Etowah River or even Marietta, where the terrain, vegetation and weather historically slowed Sherman to a crawl. There, the 1864 campaign resumes from the Etowah River to Atlanta.
Less straightforward is the Union intentions for Mobile and Charleston. Charleston makes for an alluring target. With Beauregard's IV Corps (the original coastal garrison force) wrecked, the Union politicians and military men may be tempted to seize Charleston in a rapid assault. Supporters of the plan could point at the severe morale blow of losing 'the cradle of secession' for the CSA and shutting down a major Confederate port. However, the generals in Virginia would probably protest over the diversion of manpower that could have been used for the drive to Richmond.

For Mobile, Grant historically hoped to use both the Army of the Gulf, spare troops from Missouri and his Army of the Tennessee. Grant proposed that the foothold would be used as a springboard for an offensive into Alabama and Georgia while Union cavalry raided South Carolina and Georgia. If successful, the vital areas of Montgomery and Selma are under threat while the Confederate heartland and critical links in the rail net would be shredded would be severed, hampering the movement of men and materiel. Grant confidently stated that such a move would “secure the entire states of Alabama, Mississippi, and a part of Georgia or force Lee to abandon Virginia & North Carolina. Without his force the enemy have not got Army enough to resist the Army I can take."

For the 1864 campaign, the move would have forced Cleburne to stay in Alabama or leave Mississippi and not join Johnston in Georgia. Moreover, it would secure an alternative line of advance on Atlanta. On one hand, there were strong earthworks surrounding Mobile and a large quantity of commissary stores to feed the defenders. On the other hand, the land defenses of Mobile, specifically Spanish Fort and Fort Blakeley, could easily be encircled and cut off from any assistance. Historically, Spanish Fort was evacuated to Fort Blakeley in order to preserve manpower and Fort Blakeley fell to a frontal assault. Looking at the historical Mobile Campaign, it took a month to capture the forts guarding the entrance to the bay and another month to capture the city itself. Assuming the operation began in September, the campaign would have lasted till November at least, probably postponing any advances to the heartland until spring of 1864.

Moreover, the required troops would have sucked resources from the Trans-Mississippi Campaign, possibly necessitating a less ambitious campaign that would have been disappointing for Lincoln.

In the Trans-Mississippi Theater, things are more straightforward. One independent army corps from Helena (Benjamin Prentiss? Frederick Steele?) outflanks the Confederates out of Little Rock, Arkansas while Burnside besieges the Rio Grande and the Texan coastline to eventually seize Houston and spread Federal control using Houston's rail network.

For the Confederates, the summer of 1863 has been a disaster. For strategy, an observer might judge a passive defense strategy to be the obvious choice for the outnumbered Southerners. However, a passive defense would allow the Federals to dictate the terms of engagement. As such, there was going to be, IOTL and probably ITTL, plenty of debate among the Southerners whether a preemptive offensive should be conducted.
Historically, Longstreet proposed a preemptive strategic offensive in the winter of 1864 to throw the Union advances into the CSA off balance. Lee backed Longstreet up, although Lee himself admitted that Longstreet's ideas tended to ignore logistics too much. There were many variations of the plan, but the following plan was eventually discussed by several major players in Confederate strategy making. The campaign’s ultimate objective was Middle Tennessee (not Kentucky as Longstreet wanted). Adapting the plan from OTL to ITTL, Longstreet would invade East Tennessee with whatever spare troops were available while the Army of Tennessee plus spare troops from Mississippi would go around Chattanooga and into Middle Tennessee. Davis and Bragg thought the plan was feasible, but Joe Johnston’s refusal to cooperate ended all talk of an offensive. This is likely to remain true and I'm not sure if Breckinridge could force Johnston to do it.

The plan was also pretty problematic. First, the plan required Longstreet to successfully attack Knoxville to have a chance at battering Thomas' supply lines in Middle Tennessee. However, if the Union force is besieged/forced back to Knoxville, Thomas could be compelled to detach a large force to Knoxville, giving Johnston the opportunity to attack (PFT- hahaha, who am I kidding?!). Second, the country that the columns would have to move through had been “exhausted by the enemy”. Even Longstreet acknowledged that the operation would have to be a total success or the armies involved would “be obliged to disperse in the mountains and many would perish or surrender.” Even Grant, with his ample resources, could not live off that land.

So if the CSA goes with a passive defense, I could see Lee trying to use the Rappahannock and Rapidan rivers to screen his army and set up traps and ambushes to delay the Union advance to buy time for his wounded troops from Union Mills to recover and return to the ranks. Joe Johnston... is going to be Joe Johnston. The man isn't going to move offensively. Cleburne? While Cleburne has spirit and intelligence, the battered remnants of the Army of Mississippi can't really make a move to retake the Mississippi Valley and can only act defensively.
A more interesting look is perhaps the Trans-Mississippi Theater. As historical their position is terrible. The Union can advance from the east (Louisiana), the north (Missouri) and the south (the Atlantic). There isn't much the Confederates can do about the northern half of Arkansas. Prentiss or Steele aren't stupid enough to smash their heads on a fortified city when there are avenues to outflank it and Sterling Price is no genius to salvage the situation. However, the further south the Union goes, the more difficulties the Union faces logistically. Historically, Steele's Camden expedition (supporting the 1864 Red River Campaign) was likely doomed to fail because his army could not live off the land and guerillas raided his logistics constantly.

Richard Taylor's army in (what's left of) Shreveport is in a good position to keep himself safe and make himself a nuisance. He can easily give up ground to overextend the Union advance and counterattack or he can raid New Orleans if Burnside weakens himself too much. Historically, when Banks besieged Port Hudson, he overextended himself to the point that Taylor successfully captured Brashear City, a major depot, and came embarrassingly close to actually taking New Orleans (for a few days).

In Texas, most of the hope lies in the forts and the prayer that the Union loses their attention.

This article on the American occupation of Japan post-World War II might be of some interest to @Red_Galiray regarding the topic of pulling off reconstruction.
With deep concern over the enormous magnitude of tasks regarding the occupation of the Japanese home islands, American forces executed Operation Blacklist. Under Blacklist, Morison wrote, “the initial, primary missions of the Occupation forces were set out as being the disarmament of the Japanese armed forces and the establishment of control of communications. MacArthur fully intended to use the Emperor and other Japanese leaders in executing every aspect of the occupation [being] thoroughly familiar with Japanese administration.” He outlined and prioritized the following goals of the occupation:

(1) Destroy the military power. (2) Punish war criminals. (3) Build the structure of representative government. (4) Modernize the constitution. (5) Hold free elections. (6) Enfranchise the women. (7) Release the political prisoners. (8) Liberate the farmers. (9) Establish a free labor movement. (10) Encourage a free economy. (11) Abolish police oppression. (12) Develop a free and responsible press. (13) Liberalize education. (14) Decentralize the political power. (15) Separate church and state.

Delegation of authority from SCAP to tactical-level units was an essential aspect of the occupation contributing to its success. Specifically related to disarmament, countering opposition, rebellions, and potential insurgencies, MacArthur through Blacklist delegated the following “Special Tasks” to Army commanders, all of which they accomplished in an exceptionally professional manner under extraordinary circumstances:

a. Destruction of hostile elements which might oppose by military action the imposition of surrender terms upon the Japanese.

b. Disarmament and demobilization of Japanese armed forces and their auxiliaries as rapidly as the situation would permit. Establishment of control of military resources insofar as would be practicable with the means available.

c. Control of the principal routes of coast-wide communication, in coordination with naval elements as arranged with the appropriate naval commander.

d. Institution of military government, if required, and the insurance that law and order would be maintained among the civilian population. Facilitation of peaceful commerce, particularly that which would contribute to the subsistence, clothing and shelter of the population….

f. The securing and safeguarding of intelligence information of value to the United States and Allied Nations. Arrangement with the U.S. Navy for mutual interchange and unrestricted access by each Service to matters of interest thereto.

g. Suppression of activities of individuals and organizations inimical to the operations of the Occupation forces. Apprehension of war criminals, as directed….

i. Preparation for the imposition of terms of surrender beyond immediate military requirements.

j. Preparation for the extension of control over the Japanese as required to implement policies for postwar occupation and government, when prescribed.

k. Preparation for the transfer of responsibilities to agencies of the post-war governments and armies of occupation, when established.

As far as potential Generals-in-Chief go, the obvious candidate is Reynolds (assuming he survives the war in a fit condition to serve), what with him being the victor of Union Mills and all. After Reynolds, the other two main candidates at this point are Grant (for Vicksburg) and Thomas (for Lexington). After this, we come to generals who did well IOTL but have yet to properly shine here, like Sherman (who I daresay will make Georgia howl yet), Sheridan (who IIRC is still a divisional commander and has yet to make a proper name for himself), and Meade (who will probably end up a senior corps commander under Reynolds, turning in solid but not particularly inspired performances). Doubleday might be a dark horse candidate, depending on how well he does with the USCT in future. A few more jobs like Fort Saratoga and Manchester might do the trick.

Of course, whoever ends up actually taking the Confederacy's surrender will certainly be seriously considered for the next presidential election, but I think Reynolds would refuse to the last gasp; from what I've read, he seems genuinely apolitical, if not anti-political, which may be a virtue in a soldier but not in a president. Same with Sherman. Thomas, I think, wouldn't get the nomination even if he dragged Breckinridge, Davis, Lee, and the rest of the Confederate government to Philadelphia in chains; even that wouldn't be enough to convince the Radicals to accept a Virginian, even if he was willing to take the job and sing from the same hymnal they did. As for Sheridan . . . President Sheridan is just too scary a thought even for the Radicals to contemplate. The most likely candidates would probably be Grant and Meade, but only if their senses of duty were sufficiently appealed to and they were between jobs.
Sheridan is indeed still a division commander, but he pulled out a fantastic performance at the Battle of Lexington and was essential for the victory. I agree that Reynolds would completely refuse any attempt to put his name forward for political office, though of course some Chesnuts are trying to convince him to run against Lincoln. I do wonder how Meade would do as a politician. The "old snapping Turtle" doesn't seem like he would be a great political leader, really.

With the fall and winter of 1863 coming up, there's plenty of time for generals and politicians to deliberate on their next moves. With the Mississippi Valley and Chattanooga gone and the Army of Northern Virginia bloodied, the battlegrounds seem set to be focused on Virginia, Georgia, Arkansas and Texas (with the possibility of Mobile, Charleston and Louisiana for battlegrounds). Historically, the Confederates used the shrinkage of their territory to their advantage. The rapid transfer of troops from one area to another and thwart the Union offensive was key at the battle of Chickamauga, where rebel reinforcements from Lee’s army played a decisive role in routing the Federal army.

ITTL, I could see the Confederates arguing on a passive or active defense strategy while the debate in Union high command is over where the blows would fall.
Thanks for this write-up. The situation is indeed dire for the Confederates. Breckenridge's first instinct is probably a completely defensive strategy, but both Davis and Lee are probably in favor of a limited form of the "offensive-defensive", and he trusts them both more than he trusts anything else. It's of course completely true that they can't just cede the initiative to the Federals. That would be disastrous, especially because Reynolds is a much fiercer and determined opponent than McClellan and Hooker. If they allow him to get the upper hand, they are doomed. The Confederates do have a few "hidden advantages" that could be key to delaying their defeat. The first is that both Thomas and Reynolds need to detach troops to pursue guerrillas, pacify occupied areas, and protect logistics lines, so that evens the manpower field somewhat even if the Confederates still are forced to "rob the cradle and the grave" for men. Thomas is in an especially bad situation in that regard. Now, I think I didn't express this properly, but the Battle of Lexington took place around February. It took a couple of months more for Thomas to successfully occupy Chattanooga. After that, he faces the same quagmire as Rosecrans IOTL - meaning that he has to spend several months just gathering supplies because otherwise his army would starve. Still, even if the terrain is a formidable enemy, Johnston is not.

I think there were will be campaigns against Mobile and Charleston, though whether they are successful is to be seen. Mobile will most likely happen because Grant's influence is greatly enhanced compared with OTL. Lyon is much friendlier to him than Halleck was IOTL, and Lincoln likes him the most of all the premier Union generals, because he's a political ally as well as a capable man, while Thomas seems too slow and Reynolds can seem downright unfriendly due to his distaste for politics and "meddling". Charleston is simply a very tempting plum. Finally, about the Trans-Mississippi, Prentiss is in charge. I don't think I will do anything too radical except for a few changes in Texas, mostly because I'm not very knowledgeable about this area.

This article on the American occupation of Japan post-World War II might be of some interest to @Red_Galiray regarding the topic of pulling off reconstruction.
Thank you for this. I do think the Americans of WWII were right that economic reconstruction is paramount. If the people are healthy and fat they are less likely to be hateful and bitter, and it's important to show that Union government will not be a tyranny but a time of prosperity and peace. However, I'm afraid that the Union's task may be more daunting here than reconstructing Japan. Something that kind of surprises me is the fact that basically no one has commented on A.S. Johnston's capture. I'd like to hear all of your opinions, for his trial is very important for determining what will happen to the Confederate leadership post-war.

I also was hit by a flash of inspiration today and wrote another side-story. Hope you enjoy it.

Side-story: "The Year of Jubilee Comes to Maryland"
The Year of Jubilee comes to Maryland

The first time the Yankees passed through Henry’s plantation, they were not carrying the flag of freedom. Henry and the other children were not excited to see these white men in Blue uniforms. White men should be avoided, lest they thought you “uppity” and strike you like Massa liked to do when he was angry or drunk. So, they stayed behind, in the shadows, while the soldiers passed through. Aside from their long column, Henry could remember Massa’s furious glare, as he angrily muttered against those Yankees and their disrespect for Southern rights. When the leader of the regiment came to Massa and asked to set his headquarters in the plantation, Massa started to howl, saying that he would help no Yankees. “Are you secesh then?”, the bearded officer asked, his voice vibrating with a Northern twang that Henry had hardly ever heard. “We don’t like traitors, sir. We only like Union men.” That, and the glares of the bluecoats, probably convinced Massa.

Among the bluecoats there were some who glared at the slaves every time they saw them working in the fields. Henry at first thought it was because they were white men, and white men hated slaves like him. But then he overhead them talking. Their words were strange – “monstrous institution”, “curse upon the country”, “crusade for freedom”. Henry had never ever seen a book and didn’t know how to read or how to interpret these strange words. He was able, however, to see the pity and sympathy in the soldiers’ eyes. Some of them said they came from “Massachusetts” and that they were fighting to end slavery and save the Union. “Will you free us, sir?”, Henry had asked, still fearful and timid but filled with a new feeling of hope. The most radical of the soldiers, a kind pastor who, unlike their preacher, said that God didn’t like slavery, shook his head sadly. “Our commander says we can’t take any contrabands”, he explained, “but in God’s good time, and using Father Abraham Lincoln as his instrument, this land will be purged of the accursed institution”. Henry again didn’t understand, but he knew it meant that freedom wouldn’t come.

When the Lincoln soldiers left, they left with three of their farmhands. Moses, Simon, and John were young, they had no family, for their loved ones had been sold down South. Moses’ wife had, in fact, been sold just a few months before the war, and Henry could still hear him crying sometimes. Henry was one of the lucky ones, really. He only had a few scars, and though they had sold his father his mother was still with him. No one was surprised that those three had decided to leave; they were surprised, however, that the Yankees had taken them. Massa of course hollered with rage, but the bearded Yankee just said that they were contrabands of war and were now helping the cause of the Union. “I thought your soldiers were ordered not to entice my property?”, Massa had asked. “We didn’t entice them, sir”, the Yankee answered with a smirk. “They came because they wanted to, and according to Congress we can’t return any contrabands.” That night, Henry heard as Massa got drunk and cursed the names of Lincoln and Butler, though he didn’t know who those gentlemen were.

The second time the Yankees marched through Henry’s plantation, they weren’t from Massachusetts, they weren’t friendly, and they weren’t happy. They were still dressed in blue, and they still carried the same flag, but it still wasn’t the flag of freedom. The “grapevine telegraph” had told the grown-ups that the Yankees had not been able to take a town called “Washinton”, and that a “General Madowell” had died. Many cried, included Henry’s mother, and they all silently but fervently prayed for the rebels to be defeated and the Union folks to win. Henry understood a little better now, and he joined those prayers. Things were worse now in the plantation. Massa used the whip more often and worked them harder. He had even tried to move them south, but the Yankee soldiers prohibited him from moving to a place called South Carolina. They would remain in Maryland. But despite these sufferings, the grownups smiled more, and Henry’s mom even sang again, something she hadn’t done since they sold dad. She sang about freedom.

When the Yankees retook Washington and Father Abraham signed the Proclamation, the shouts of Glory Hallelujah echoed throughout the entire Sunny South. They were in Maryland, so no Yankee came to give them freedom, but they still cried and shouted. “Father Abraham has spoken”, Henry’s mom would say. “The Year of Jubilee is coming.” Massa started to drink and whip more than ever before, but he could not quiet the Proclamation. Three more farmhands escaped, then an entire family. But Henry could not leave, he would not. His mom was sick, she wouldn’t survive. He knew that Old Henrietta had died when trying to escape. He couldn’t lose his mom, so when she asked him whether he didn’t want to leave with Sam and try and reach the Yankee camps, he said not. He would rather receive fifty whippings than abandon her.

The third time the Yankees marched through Henry’s plantation, they came looking for Black men. “By the proclamation of Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States”, firmly said the officer in charge, “I hereby invite all Negro men to sign up for the Armed Forces of the Republic.” Massa protested. “You can’t do that, Maryland is excluded”, he claimed. The officer answered that the Congress had decreed that Black men could join the Army if they wanted, and obtain their freedom through that service. As Massa went away, cursing many gentlemen that Henry didn’t know (Summer, Stevens, Wade), many of the young men of the plantation signed up for the Army. Henry then recognized the kind pastor. He looked a decade older, and was jumping around in crutches. “A wound of Anacostia”, he said with pride when Henry asked. “At least I still have it! Poor William Foster lost both his legs thanks to that rebel artillery…” Henry asked if he could too join the Army, free his mom, and receive a blue uniform. “I’m afraid not, my boy. You’re too young”, the pastor said. “But you and your mother could go to that nearby contraband camp. There are teachers, who can teach you. You would be a great credit to the Negro race!”. Thinking of his sick mother and her feeble legs, Henry shook his head.

Perhaps it was God almighty that gave her that illness, for they later found out that a group of “gue-ri-llas” had slaughtered the contraband camp. Massa gloated before them, saying that that’s what happened to disloyal slaves. Then Massa gloated even more when he heard that a “General Ma-Cle-Llan” had been defeated by a General Lee. They cried that night, bitter tears of anguish and despair falling from their eyes as they contemplated a rebel victory. They also cried for Sally, the melancholic girl who had escaped only to be ravished and murdered by a marauder, and for Robert, a funny man who always made Henry laugh, who had gone missing and was either in a ditch in Maryland or a plantation in Georgia. Henry and the others had more opportunity to cry when “General Hu-ker” was defeated. As the Yankee troops marched northward, ragged and dispirited, Henry recognized a young Massachusetts soldier and asked for the kind pastor. “Father Edwards died gloriously for the Union at Manassas”, the soldier said simply.

The fourth time the Yankees marched through Henry’s plantation, there were Black men with them. The Yankees were grim yet determined as they marched, mumbling about defeating Lee and defending “Pennsylvania”. The Black soldiers were timid, marching in silence. But behind the exterior, there was a certain pride, a certain valor in their stride. Now the Yankees were carrying the flag of freedom, and what’s more, Black men were helping to carry it. The children accompanied the Black soldiers, giggled and jumped around as they marched. The soldiers smiled, and said that they would show the traitor Lee what the coloreds could do, with the help of their gallant commander Doubleday. Henry and the children couldn’t believe there were Black men in Blue uniforms, fighting against the rebels. Old Massa turned as white as paper when he saw them, while Henry and his mom now saw freedom within their reach for the first time.

Moses was among the soldiers that marched that day. No one had known whether he was alive or not. As the Yankees stopped to eat and rest, Moses explained that he lived in a contraband camp for many months until Father Abraham had allowed him to wear the uniform. “Nothing don’t scare the rebels like a Colored man with a rifle!”, Moses said as he held his weapon proudly in the air. Henry could not help noticing that the Black troops received sneers from the white soldiers, and could hear a few mutterings about how “niggers can’t fight”. Moses told him to not listen. “We are colored United States soldiers now,” he said, pointing to his brass “US” badge. “We will whip the rebel soldiers, you will see!”. After the Yankees left, Massa reunited everybody and warned to not dare leaving. He had important business to attend in Baltimore, he said, and he wanted to find everyone in their places when he came back.

The fifth time the Yankees marched through Henry’s plantation, the Black soldiers were fewer, but they held their heads high in pride, the flag of freedom they carried waving in the air. The white soldiers did not sneer anymore, but now they laughed and celebrated alongside their Black comrades. Henry and the children thought it miraculous. Moses was not with them. When they asked, a Black soldier said with pride that “he died at Union Mills! But he died gloriously! He showed that traitor Stonewall!”. The children did not know what Union Mills was or who Stonewall was. But they knew that Moses was a hero. A few weeks later, a Yankee colonel came with a host of men and women not dressed in blue but in all colors. The Massa, who had not returned, had been found sending weapons to the rebels in “Bal-ti-mor”, and had been killed during those riots. Now, the Yankee man announced, the plantation would be administered by the Bureau of Confiscated and Abandoned Lands, and the Bureau of Freedmen and Refugees would take care of them. Henry and his mother smiled like never before, as she for the first time received medicine and he received books. Some even talked of receiving land. That night they prayed for Father Abraham and the Union Army, for the first time without fear.

The sixth time the Yankees marched through Henry’s home farm, the Heroes of Union Mills were holding the flag of freedom high in the air.

Last edited:
Something that kind of surprises me is the fact that basically no one has commented on A.S. Johnston's capture. I'd like to hear all of your opinions, for his trial is very important for determining what will happen to the Confederate leadership post-war.
Ages ago I commented my opinion of what to do with the confederate leadership. Johnston is a capable and respected (at least among the CSA's most respected before getting captured) general, who in his 60s. Making an example of him has a good chance of inflaming more resistance against the Union, and his age makes him very unlikely to be able to lead in an insurrection by the time the Northern fist will by necessity loosen, even if he wants to. A model to serve for how he might be treated is Friedrich Paulus, the commander of the German forces at Stalingrad. If Johnston is willing to, he can appeal to the South to accept surrender and serve as a witness to the post-war tribunals in exchange for a relative overlooking of his own unsavoury acts during the war. The more that the Union can use the Confederate leadership and state apparatus to discredit and dismantle itself, the better.

All the little people, just living and dying, that's all there ever is in the world, no?
though of course some Chesnuts are trying to convince him to run against Lincoln
Is it possible that Lincoln may end up running.....unopposed???

*Gasp* Oh the horror of such a thing.

Something that kind of surprises me is the fact that basically no one has commented on A.S. Johnston's capture. I'd like to hear all of your opinions, for his trial is very important for determining what will happen to the Confederate leadership post-war.
One could accuse A.S. Johnston (and other Confederate generals) of committing treason against the United States by attempting to “subvert, and to stir, move and incite insurrection, rebellion and war against the United States.”

As for the political leadership, I assume that the Federal government would want to put them to court to supply a legal endorsement of the Union’s victory and condemn the right of secession and thus secure the results of the war.

However, the primary danger of such trials is the image it creates of the Confederate leaders. For example, while imprisoned, Davis proved to be a nervous, difficult man. However, Davis was still able to cultivate the image of a fearless man, wrongfully accused of a heinous crime who, during his confinement, had wanted nothing more than a public trial to prove the legality of secession and his own innocence. That image resonated with southerners, who were already becoming deeply immersed in the myth of the Lost Cause.

EDIT: Great mini-update! It really shows the face and effects of the war.

Thank you for this. I do think the Americans of WWII were right that economic reconstruction is paramount. If the people are healthy and fat they are less likely to be hateful and bitter, and it's important to show that Union government will not be a tyranny but a time of prosperity and peace. However, I'm afraid that the Union's task may be more daunting here than reconstructing Japan. Something that kind of surprises me is the fact that basically no one has commented on A.S. Johnston's capture. I'd like to hear all of your opinions, for his trial is very important for determining what will happen to the Confederate leadership post-war.

I also was hit by a flash of inspiration today and wrote another side-story. Hope you enjoy it.

One thing I noticed on the Japanese reconstruction list was "liberate the farmers" that also helps explain why South Korea ended up better than people accepted in the long run: land reform. Korea was able to do this because so much land was held by Japanese people and while the collaborators were generally co-opted by the South's military government having all of that Japanese-owned land allowed for pretty massive land reform without any angry rural landlord class as that class didn't really exist anymore.

While small family farms aren't the most productive they helped a lot with social stability and helped create a real middle class later. Having even a little capital in the form of land and livestock is enormously helpful. Lots of stories here about families that sold a cow to send the first kid in their family to college and even today people in cities get big boxes of food from families in the country and a lot of small farms are kept afloat by cash gifts from their kids in the city.

Of course everyone knows about 40 acres and a mule but it's good to hear about real life examples where this sort of thing actually worked.

I do wonder how Meade would do as a politician. The "old snapping Turtle" doesn't seem like he would be a great political leader, really.
Oh God, Meade really doesn’t make for a good politician. As a person, Meade was conservative but willing to withhold his opinions during the war. I find it unlikely that Meade would have been able to make many friends in politics due to his blunt nature.

Now, I think I didn't express this properly, but the Battle of Lexington took place around February. It took a couple of months more for Thomas to successfully occupy Chattanooga. After that, he faces the same quagmire as Rosecrans IOTL - meaning that he has to spend several months just gathering supplies because otherwise his army would starve. Still, even if the terrain is a formidable enemy, Johnston is not.
Ah that makes sense. I suppose that Thomas isn’t moving until he pacifies the guerrillas sufficiently and Johnston isn’t going to move at all. So this probably precludes any big moves until 1864, unless Thomas is willing to make a push to Dalton as Grant requested IOTL Feb 1864.

both Davis and Lee are probably in favor of a limited form of the "offensive-defensive", and he trusts them both more than he trusts anything else. It's of course completely true that they can't just cede the initiative to the Federals. That would be disastrous, especially because Reynolds is a much fiercer and determined opponent than McClellan and Hooker. If they allow him to get the upper hand, they are doomed.
Hmm... if I were in Lee’s shoes, I would consider using the Rappahanock River as a trap of sorts. For example, there’s the Bristoe Station campaign, in which Lee let Meade cross the river before trying to get behind Meade and fighting a favorable battle. Although the Bristoe Station campaign saw only minor battles (both sides didn’t find the favorable conditions for a decisive battle), it did delay the Union advance for a month.
I think there were will be campaigns against Mobile and Charleston, though whether they are successful is to be seen. Mobile will most likely happen because Grant's influence is greatly enhanced compared with OTL. Lyon is much friendlier to him than Halleck was IOTL, and Lincoln likes him the most of all the premier Union generals, because he's a political ally as well as a capable man, while Thomas seems too slow and Reynolds can seem downright unfriendly due to his distaste for politics and "meddling".
Ah, that’s good to hear. Taking Mobile is probably the more militarily impactful of the two, so I certainly hope at least that amphibious assault works.

Also, Reynolds’ distaste for politics can probably show during the Charleston operation, where he grumbles about politicians going on with a (relatively) political campaign. IOTL, Reynolds gained his distaste for political involvement in army affairs after he and the bulk of the U.S. army was transferred to Scott’s command in Mexico owing to Polk’s desire not to increase Taylor’s prestige.

I wonder if there even will be a commanding general. Since Lyon is doing his job of pushing commanders into action, I’m not sure if Congress will feel the need to promote any specific general to Grant’s OTL place.
I do think the Americans of WWII were right that economic reconstruction is paramount. If the people are healthy and fat they are less likely to be hateful and bitter, and it's important to show that Union government will not be a tyranny but a time of prosperity and peace. However, I'm afraid that the Union's task may be more daunting here than reconstructing Japan.
I will say that you’re probably right. For the Southern whites, the whole war has been an economic disaster. Cotton was not a reliable source of income after Egypt and India grew their own cotton to feed the manufacturers of Europe in the place of the South. When Southern cotton returned, there was an overproduction of cotton and thus prices plunged. There were also storms, floods and the army worm that hampered agricultural recovery in 1866-67.

One idea to help both Southern whites and blacks would be to open more industrial and agricultural schools with the goal of enhancing skills and elevating more former slaves to a middle-class position.

One idea to help both Southern whites and blacks would be to open more industrial and agricultural schools with the goal of enhancing skills and elevating more former slaves to a middle-class position.
And if the white students demand segregation, the Union can say to them "Alright, we'll make the schools blacks-only :p"

The Year of Jubilee comes to Maryland

The sixth time the Yankees marched through Henry’s home farm, the Heroes of Union Mills were holding the flag of freedom high in the air.

Where in Maryland is this set? I would imagine given the marching back and forth that it is either in Carroll County (where Union Mills is), Frederick County or Montgomery County.

good to see how big events impact small events
I think such updates are important, since, beyond the statistics and big numbers, events like the ones described in the TL or the ones that took place in reality affected individual people.

Well done, Sir! Love the POV.
Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed this mini-update.

Very nice to see a Maryland slave's POV, and that was a bittersweet yet heartwarming story. Nice.
Thanks! I was thinking of that Glory scene when the 54th marched through a plantation. I tried to capture a bittersweet sense of lost that ends in a hopeful note. I'm happy it seems I succeeded.

Ages ago I commented my opinion of what to do with the confederate leadership. Johnston is a capable and respected (at least among the CSA's most respected before getting captured) general, who in his 60s. Making an example of him has a good chance of inflaming more resistance against the Union, and his age makes him very unlikely to be able to lead in an insurrection by the time the Northern fist will by necessity loosen, even if he wants to. A model to serve for how he might be treated is Friedrich Paulus, the commander of the German forces at Stalingrad. If Johnston is willing to, he can appeal to the South to accept surrender and serve as a witness to the post-war tribunals in exchange for a relative overlooking of his own unsavoury acts during the war. The more that the Union can use the Confederate leadership and state apparatus to discredit and dismantle itself, the better.
It's a difficult question of balancing the "terrible swift sword" and "charity for all". Johnston is obviously a traitor, but he's also a war criminal since his troops have massacred some Black regiments, most infamously at Canton during Grant's first Vicksburg campaign. On the other hand, it's true that executing him may inflame the South and led to them resisting to the bitter end, which needless to say would be bad for Reconstruction. I think Lincoln and maybe even Grant would be against outright execution, but Confederate leaders can't be allowed to walk away scot free either. Johnston may not be that much of a threat, but what happens when men like Wade Hampton walk free only to organize militias and resist the Union? I like the idea of using Confederate leaders to bring peace and acceptance to the South, but there were run into two problems: Would the South believe and follow them? Or would they simply start to hate them, like it happened to Longstreet? And would the Confederate leaders cooperate at all? In Johnston's case it's difficult to know since he died at Shiloh, so whether he would have become a Lost Cause fanatic or someone who accepted the new order is not clear.

All the little people, just living and dying, that's all there ever is in the world, no?

Is it possible that Lincoln may end up running.....unopposed???

*Gasp* Oh the horror of such a thing.
I think there will be always some opposition, but whether it's an opposition with actual chances of winning is to be determined.

One could accuse A.S. Johnston (and other Confederate generals) of committing treason against the United States by attempting to “subvert, and to stir, move and incite insurrection, rebellion and war against the United States.”

As for the political leadership, I assume that the Federal government would want to put them to court to supply a legal endorsement of the Union’s victory and condemn the right of secession and thus secure the results of the war.

However, the primary danger of such trials is the image it creates of the Confederate leaders. For example, while imprisoned, Davis proved to be a nervous, difficult man. However, Davis was still able to cultivate the image of a fearless man, wrongfully accused of a heinous crime who, during his confinement, had wanted nothing more than a public trial to prove the legality of secession and his own innocence. That image resonated with southerners, who were already becoming deeply immersed in the myth of the Lost Cause.

EDIT: Great mini-update! It really shows the face and effects of the war.
Creating martyrs is an extreme danger for the Union. Take Breckinridge, for example. Many love him throughout the South - a common saying is "if only Breckinridge knew about this!", uttered by farmers who think Johnny Breck is the response to all problems, only incapable of aiding them due to disloyal and inefficient subordinates. Now, if Breckinridge is executed or suffers a lengthy and painful confinement, that could cause a renewed rebellion.

One thing I noticed on the Japanese reconstruction list was "liberate the farmers" that also helps explain why South Korea ended up better than people accepted in the long run: land reform. Korea was able to do this because so much land was held by Japanese people and while the collaborators were generally co-opted by the South's military government having all of that Japanese-owned land allowed for pretty massive land reform without any angry rural landlord class as that class didn't really exist anymore.

While small family farms aren't the most productive they helped a lot with social stability and helped create a real middle class later. Having even a little capital in the form of land and livestock is enormously helpful. Lots of stories here about families that sold a cow to send the first kid in their family to college and even today people in cities get big boxes of food from families in the country and a lot of small farms are kept afloat by cash gifts from their kids in the city.

Of course everyone knows about 40 acres and a mule but it's good to hear about real life examples where this sort of thing actually worked.
In your first paragraph you already explain why we can't replicate the Korean success in this South: confiscation here will create an "angry rural landlord class" and exacerbate social tensions between freedmen and Southern whites. Land reform, of course, will be key. As you observe it allows for future economic opportunities and social stability. African Americans would be much safer if tilling their own lands rather than living as impoverished share-croppers. But land given to them must come from confiscation, and that certainly won't make Southerners happy. Many probably will refuse to allow African Americans to own land, even if they already own land themselves, simply out of spite and racism. Forty acres and a mule is already progressing nicely in the Mississippi Valley and the Sea Islands, but we can't give land to every freedman and we can't take every single foot of rebel land without plunging the South into a decades-long conflict.

Hmm... if I were in Lee’s shoes, I would consider using the Rappahanock River as a trap of sorts. For example, there’s the Bristoe Station campaign, in which Lee let Meade cross the river before trying to get behind Meade and fighting a favorable battle. Although the Bristoe Station campaign saw only minor battles (both sides didn’t find the favorable conditions for a decisive battle), it did delay the Union advance for a month.
I haven't developed this idea yet, but I was thinking Lee could use both the Rappahannock and the Wilderness in order to lay a deathly trap against Reynolds. It Reynolds swallows the bait and fights it out around the Wilderness, the rebels would seize the upper hand and all their normal advantages: intimate knowledge of the terrain, natural obstacles that enhance their defense, difficult battleground that negates the Union's manpower advantage.

I will say that you’re probably right. For the Southern whites, the whole war has been an economic disaster. Cotton was not a reliable source of income after Egypt and India grew their own cotton to feed the manufacturers of Europe in the place of the South. When Southern cotton returned, there was an overproduction of cotton and thus prices plunged. There were also storms, floods and the army worm that hampered agricultural recovery in 1866-67.

dhm320a4s4461.jpg

I don't think there's much I can do to affect the climate, but something that may delay or prevent the disastrous plunge in cotton prices is further land reform. The Freedmen were notoriously opposed to growing cotton, since they saw it as a "slave crop" and they would rather just grow food for their families. Of course, Northerners said they were being lazy and that they should look towards the future and cultivate the profitable cash crops. If through a combination of land reform and confiscation the cotton-production levels can be kept somewhat low, then maybe the 1866-1867 "cotton bubble" can be kept at bay.

I like the idea of funding industrial and commercial schools for Blacks and poor Southerners. It's in line with Republican ideology and the Hampton school of self-development, and would teach essential skills to the freedmen, increasing their chances at social mobility.

And if the white students demand segregation, the Union can say to them "Alright, we'll make the schools blacks-only :p"
Indeed! Such schools would be a good opportunity for tentative integration.

Where in Maryland is this set? I would imagine given the marching back and forth that it is either in Carroll County (where Union Mills is), Frederick County or Montgomery County.
I'll be honest, I didn't think too hard about where exactly this was set. I think around Carroll County is a good guess.

The short story was wonderful, a really moving portrayal of the war from an enslaved child's perspective. You're making some amazing content!

The short story was wonderful, a really moving portrayal of the war from an enslaved child's perspective. You're making some amazing content!
Thank you very much! I say this every time, but it bears repeating, I love it when people take the time to congratulate authors. Every single word of support means a lot. Thank you.

I thoroughly enjoyed this
Thank you! I'm quite proud of that ending line too.