Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

And my entry

Flemish.png

Here's my entry. In this TL, an analogue of the Flemish Movement succeeds, taking the lion tongued and clawed in black as the national symbol.

flanders_flag_chart.png

@ AesirKnight: I've always wondered: what does that grid with the dots mean?

It's part of the "Flag Identification System", and denotes how each flag is used on land and at sea. The wiki article on Vexillology actually covers it pretty well. Each "dot" basically signifies one type of use for the particular flag, the top row being on land and the bottom row being at sea, and the columns, from left to right, being civil, state, and military use. A good quick shorthand for flag identification, I suppose.

VT45

Banned
It's part of the "Flag Identification System", and denotes how each flag is used on land and at sea. The wiki article on Vexillology actually covers it pretty well. Each "dot" basically signifies one type of use for the particular flag, the top row being on land and the bottom row being at sea, and the columns, from left to right, being civil, state, and military use. A good quick shorthand for flag identification, I suppose.

Ah, okay. Thanks a lot. I never really understood it before.

Good after-noon! :)

- Dutchie, please link to the other contestants' entries, preferably from the folder that I have set up, as it is "more stable", so to speak.
- As per Aesirknight's suggestion, the time-limit to make your flag is now at four days, for quite a few reasons.
- Aesirknight, please post the next contest's theme in the other thread, along with the statement that it will close in four days. You don't have to state the exact time and date like the previous posters have, be-cause a person reading your post can easily figure it out just by looking at the time and date of the post.
- Just a re-minder, one flag per person. Some-thing like what Aesirknight did actually isn't allowed according to the rules. I didn't object be-cause I only just realised that now, and it would be quite un-fair to disqualify him after he's won. As such, this is more of a future re-minder.

[GENERAL: Profile // Gallery // Copyright]
[WEEKLY FLAG CHALLENGE: New Challenges & Previous Winners // Discussion & Entries]

Uninspired entry this time (and low image quality to make it worse): I'm not really familiar with American history, in my defence.
I thought that since 13 colonies fails, then the flag wouldn't include any reference to stars and stripes (obviously) nor a state seal or anything else that looks like the OTL flag of North Carolina.
Then I had to check which are the state symbols of North Carolina, and this is what I came up with.

Red (actually cardinal red) is a reference to the colour of the cardinal bird; the border is golden because red and gold are the colours of the English arms and Carolina is named after an English King; finally the white dogwood (so hard to find a decent picture of it, btw) is the state flower of North Carolina.

carolinarepublic.png

All the flags are in this thread already, so why link to them? All a reader has to do is scroll up....?

I simply think that it would be more convenient if every-thing were accessible from that one thread.

In any case, here are two versions of my entry that I can't decide on. The white stands for peace, cleanliness etc. The red and gold bordering has the same symbolism as Fabrondi's, by some co-incidence. The blue field references the sea that the settlers arrived by. The white star is the light of civilisation and a bright future. It also doubles as a compass, which ties in with the symbolism of the blue. The difference between the two versions is that the first version has a plain star and the other version has a fancy one.

So, which one do you people think that I should enter?

[LINK]

To all future winners: When you create the poll, not only re-post the contestants' images, but please also copy in their symbolism if they've written any.

[WEEKLY FLAG CHALLENGE: New Challenges & Previous Winners // Discussion & Entries]

Attachments

• FlagContestEntries03A-03B (S.V.G.).zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,079
Last edited:
@TB: I think the first one is better: the star is more visible. The star in the second flag is nicely drawn but does not stand out, IMO

So, which one do you people think that I should enter?

flag_contest_options.png
In other contests around here, its always the first entry you post that is your official submission. I think this thread should either be a discussion forum or an official entires forum, but its getting mixed up trying to be both.... IMO.

Sorry, cant' see your images at work so I can't comment. But I'm sure the quality is high, given your previous work.

Cheers,

@TB: I think the first one is better: the star is more visible. The star in the second flag is nicely drawn but does not stand out, IMO

That's a very good point! I don't think that I need any more feed-back now, the second version does have such a problem.

In other contests around here, its always the first entry you post that is your official submission. I think this thread should either be a discussion forum or an official entires forum, but its getting mixed up trying to be both.... IMO.

I think it's best if we only consider changing the system if more issues arise. In the mean-time, there'll be a 'wait and see' stance.

In any case, here is my entry. I hope you don't mind that I used your idea about the wavy flag, Mr. Thomas G. R. P. Effin Shaucker Chaucer McMurphy Walker.

transparent_blue.png

Symbolism: The white stands for peace, cleanliness etc. The red and gold bordering has the same symbolism as Fabrondi's, by some co-incidence. The blue field references the sea that the settlers arrived by. The white star is the light of civilisation and a bright future. It also doubles as a compass, which ties in with the symbolism of the blue.

Last edited: