WI: Alternate Name for the United States

Alas, we really took the spotlight of all the other American nations by calling ourselves "America" and "Americans". Of course, it was never really meant to be that way (we were only a United States first, and America happened to be its location), but semantics took the upper hand eventually.

And it's not for lack of trying for a unique name -- but can you honestly call things like "Fredonia" and "Usonia" trying?

Perhaps in another timeline there would be someone slightly more creative who can come up with something oddly passable. But what kind of moniker would they come up with?

(My money's on Liberia -- ain't I original?)

An old favorite theme of mine which I most recently explored in a 2017 post at
https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...he-united-states-of-america-as-a-name.424297/

The case against the United States of America (as a name)

George R. Stewart, in his book *Names on the Land: A Historical Account of Place-Naming in the United States* (Boston: Houghton Mifflin 1967 [revised edition]) suggested that the name "United States of America" may have been unfortunate. True, it was natural at the time: the revolutionaries had referred to "the united colonies of North America" or "the united colonies of America" and then began to refer to "states" rather than colonies. So it was appropriate when the Declaration of Independence referred to "WE, THEREFORE, the representatives of the United States of America." This represented the least possible breach with tradition. But, Stewart continues (p. 171):

"As soon, however, as the emergency of the war had grown less, the inadequacy of the name became apparent. United States of America was greatly lacking in that it supplied no good adjective or term for the inhabitants of the country. It was unwieldy, inexact, and unoriginal. Although it rolled well from the tongue of an orator, not even the sincerest patriot could manage it in a poem or song.

"Possibly some far-seeing federalists may also have realized already that, however good it may once have been, the name could become a political hazard. England or France, Virginia or Massachusetts--all these implied an indivisible unity. Such states could be conquered or their governments overthrown by revolution, but they could not be obviously split into components. The very plurality of States, however, was a standing suggestion that what had once been united could equally well be taken apart; in the very name, the seeds of nullification and secession lay hidden." (One can of course argue that Stewart is exaggerating the importance of names here; I doubt that nullification or secession would lose many supporters had the country been named Columbia. Still, the fact that the states were incorporated in the very name of the USA was not without some rhetorical effect in arguments for the primacy of states' rights. See Calhoun's "And what are the 'United States' but the States united?" http://founding.com/founders-library/american-political-figures/john-c-calhoun/)

Stewart thinks "Columbia" (perhaps invented by the poet Philip Freneau) would have been better. "It was an obvious coinage by the standards of the time. Poets quite generally preferred such elegantly classical circumlocutions as Britannia for Great Britain, Scotia for Scotland, and Cambria for Wales. Some of these terms had already established themselves in English as national names, such as Russia and Austria." Columbus had never been a hero in colonial days (the British for political reasons preferred to emphasize the Cabots' discovery of North America) but by the time of the Revolution there was not much chance that Spain would claim sovereignty over New York or Philadelphia, and the Cabots were shadowy agents of a British king, unheroic in stature. The country began to look back to Columbus as a kind of founding hero.

Stewart concludes that "Columbia was a happy coinage. Virginia and Georgia had already made such names familiar. It was almost everything that the United States of America was not--short, precise, original, poetic, indivisible, and flexibly yielding good adjectives and nouns. Freneau used it several times in *American Liberty*, and in the succeeding years it gradually became established in poetry. In 1786, it was adopted for the new capital of South Carolina." The logical time for adopting it as the name for the new nation would have been during the 1787 Constitutional Convention, but the delegates had more important things on their minds.

The independence of the Latin American republics made "United States of America" a more questionable choice than ever. Yes, in most cases it's clear from context whether "American" is being used to describe the country or the continents, but that is not always the case, and anyway, was it really wise to add one more grievance, however petty, to the Latin Americans' resentment of the Colossus of the North? (Although, as Bergen Evans once remarked, any injustice in using "America" to refer to the USA can hardly compare to that of naming an entire hemisphere for Amerigo Vespucci in the first place.) And it led to such absurdities as Latin Americans referring to people from the USA as North Americans--although geographically that name is just as applicable not only to Canadians but to Mexicans as well. (And of course if you pointed out the imprecision of "North American" there were always "Yanqui" and "Gringo"...)

After 1787, some suggestions to change the name of the USA were still made-- e.g., "Usona" from United States of North America--but they never got anywhere. (Another contender, but not a very serious one, was "Fredonia" which survives only in the names of a few towns and in the Marx Brothers' *Duck Soup.*) Columbus was out of contention after 1819, being associated with a region of South America. And of course had Columbia been chosen, some Native Americans and African Americans might now be saying that the very name of the country was racist and should be changed--but again, Amerigo Vespucci was no less a dead white European colonialist male.

To Stewart, "United States of America" is just another example of the ineptitude of politicians in choosing place-names. "British Commonwealth of Nations is almost as bad as United States of America and Soyuz Sovietskikh Sotsialisticheskikh Respublik is even worse. Rowland Hill remarked that he did not see why the Devil should have all the good tunes. The case is not so bad with names, but certainly the term Axis is, as a name, much superior to its floundering counterpart, United Nations." (Stewart was writing in 1945; if you doubt the last point, imagine a Jimi Hendrix album "United Nations, Bold as Love.") Elsewhere (p. 190) Stewart notes as a particularly inept name, "The territory of the United States Northwest of the river Ohio" adopted by Congress in the Ordinance of 1787. "This name was so completely bad that perhaps for that very reason it vanished finally without trace..."

Footnote: I just made the happy discovery that *Names on the Land* is now available for free online: https://archive.org/stream/in.ernet.dli.2015.111746/2015.111746.Names-On-The-Land#page/n1/mode/2up

Union of Columbian States, inhabitants of which are known as Columbians. An interesting butterfly would be no Uncle Sam as a caricature of this country, perhaps being replaced by OTL's conception of Columbia as a virtuous lady of liberty.

How do they not mix it up with the OTHER Colombia, which speaks Spanish???

Wasn't that named later?

Yes, what is known as Colombia today was originally the Viceroyalty of New Granada. The name Gran Colombia was selected in 1819. Naturally if another nation has already taken the name Columbia they might pick another name or keep calling it Granada.

Going off of @David T's comment that "States" implies division I'd suggest for the full name of Columbia to be either the United Columbian Republic or the Republic of Columbia. I like the latter a bit more, it feels a bit more "revolutionary" for lack off better terms.

Another potential name for the US could be Concordia. The name more or less means harmony and it would have a basis in the American Revolution, with Concord and Lexington being where the Revolution began. Perhaps the full name would be the Federation of Concordia?

I’ve always liked Appalachia, but Infeel that would’ve only worked if we stuck with the original 13 colonies as states

The root issue here is that both Americas ended up named after the same explorer. It wouldn't have been unlikely at all for one to be called Laurentia (North America) and the other Amazonia (South America).

So, how about "United States of Laurentia"? It keeps "America to the Americans" from sounding like double speak at least.

I’ve always liked Appalachia, but Infeel that would’ve only worked if we stuck with the original 13 colonies as states
Not necessarily, Mexico extends quite a bit beyond the original namesake even now, let alone at independence. Appalachia is as good a name as any by that criterium.

How about we get even more verbose and grandiose? The Grand League of Righteous and Independent American States. God save our GLORIAS Union! Glorias for Glorians!

True, but the mountain range is an important landmark that kinda divides the colonies from the West
True, but I have doubts that the western aristocrats that formed the nation would want to name their nation after the sparsely populated region in the westernmost reaches of the states.

What about Canada? Wasn‘t the name used only unofficially prior to the American revolution, and included parts of the midwest? The British province of Quebec was only officially named Canada much later, wasn‘t it? Though i guess this would be more likely if the rebels manage to conquer Quebec during the revolution.

What about Canada? Wasn‘t the name used only unofficially prior to the American revolution, and included parts of the midwest? The British province of Quebec was only officially named Canada much later, wasn‘t it? Though i guess this would be more likely if the rebels manage to conquer Quebec during the revolution.
I love the irony, however, Canada has always referred to part of New France, or in other words present-day Canada. Before that it was an Iroquois word referring to settlement, so perhaps with an early enough POD the Iroquois could refer to an English settlement as "Canada" and the name catches on.