WI: Austria vote no to the anschluss

What if in 1938 the nazi party of Austria is stopped by the police force and the coup fail. Horrified by the attempt, the population vote against the unfication on the referendum. The anschluss fail, what next ?

The German Army will move in none the less and another election will be held shortly afterward, one that will produce an overwhelming mandate for the anschluss.

But what if the Austrian army decided to stop the german forces ? (The president of Austria was a proud nationalist after all)

But what if the Austrian army decided to stop the german forces ? (The president of Austria was a proud nationalist after all)

uhh, the Austrians are largely powerless to stop the German forces unless they can get foreign support. (say, from Italy)

uhh, the Austrians are largely powerless to stop the German forces unless they can get foreign support. (say, from Italy)

If italy support an independant Austria, i dont think hitler will try to invade, he will maybe try a more diplomatic way, maybe an invitation in the axis.

But a clash between germany/italy+Austria will be awesome :D
The allies will probably watch the firework with popcorn.

King Thomas

Banned
The allies would love that. Hitler's armies would probably slap the Italians out of Austria with ease, only to follow them into Italy and get bogged down in the mountains.

With the main german forces bogged down in the mountains, the Austrian army could strike back. Their lack of armor could be troublesome but with enough troops they could inflict severe draw back to the german.
Maybe the allies would help (secretly) the "mild" fasciste to prevent à stronger germany and prevent further alliance between them.

If the situation turn sour for the german, they could ask for a white peace or a cease of fire.

Hitler says the referendum was subject to fraud and voters were suppressed. Then he invades.

I don't think he would have planned the unification unless he was sure it would pass, by whatever means. Failing there would be too big of a blow to Nazi prestige too early in their reign.

starwarsfan What about the Soviets in this alternate Fascist Vs Fascist war?
They would probably wait, like the allies, to see who is gonna win, if its hitler expect a molotov/Ribbentrop pact, if its Benito/Kurt they would be more aggressive toward germany.

The Kiat Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nazar
Hitler says the referendum was subject to fraud and voters were suppressed. Then he invades.

I don't think he would have planned the unification unless he was sure it would pass, by whatever means. Failing there would be too big of a blow to Nazi prestige too early in their reign.
I think he bet on the coup and sympathy for germany. If the coup attempt by the nazi party of Austria fail he have at least to option: total annexion (wich may scare Mussolini) or a diplomatic alliance with the fasciste governement of Schuschnigg.

Again, if any of you have good idea, feel free to share them !

If italy support an independant Austria, i dont think hitler will try to invade, he will maybe try a more diplomatic way, maybe an invitation in the axis.
Agreed. It'd be awesome, but Hitler had paused the Anschluss several times before due to Italian hostility.

Kung Zog's timeline was an interesting look at the Italo-Austrian/German War.

Interesting, i will read it.

However, i realy wish no war between Germany and Austria, at least not in 1938. Maybe appeasment policy like the liberation of the nazi party member who attempt the coup and their extradition to germany, coupled with an non-aggression pact. Then, fixed on Hitler pretention, Kurt Schuschnigg will modernized the Austrian army during the 1938-40 period. With the fall of France, then, Hitler's attention could be reported on Austria again. Leading to lot of butterflies.

One word on the plesbiscite:

the Schuschnigg-government had OTL planned to hold a plebiscite on Austrian independance, but Hitler pressured that he dropped the idea.

However, word to stop the procedure didn't reach some remote villages in time and they reported the (desired) 99%-pro-Independance.

Of course, the very same constituencies reported 99%-pro-Anschluss-results a few weeks later.

Conclusion: a 1938 referendum on the matter in Austria would in no case depend on those who vote, but on those who count.

What about a blockade of Germany by France and Britain? Also, this screws any chance Germany had of getting Czechoslovakia without a fight.

According to The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, the Nazis' original plan actually wasn't for immediate Anschluss. The original plan for the coup/invasion was for Hitler to be made President of Austria, but because of the warm reception he received on his arrival in Austria he became so ecstatic that he had the orders to the lawyer he sent to Vienna to draw up the legal papers to be changed from making Hitler President to the merger of Austria into Germany. By the way, this change of orders totally surprised the lawyer according to what Shirer wrote.