WI: Mary had a miscarriage?

Hapsburg

Banned
What if mary, mother of jesus, had a miscarriage and her son died. Suppose that the historical jesus was purely that: historical, not some sacred blah.
how would this affect history(i can tell it'll be pretty frikkn' big)

Hapsburg said:
What if mary, mother of jesus, had a miscarriage and her son died. Suppose that the historical jesus was purely that: historical, not some sacred blah.

Isn't readily obvious to you - I guess not - that in the situation you are talking about no one would have written about it. He can't quite be 'historical' then.

Oh, course God wouldn't permit such a thing. Also the divergence could be big so great that is would be pretty hard to calculate. Tho its entirely like that the Grand Architect of the Universe plans for all contingencies. There's also Jesus' brother.

Thankfully there wouldn't then be a Holy Roman Empire to hear about! That is one great blessing that would be visited upon this world. Frankly, I know you are new and 'wet behind the ears', but I would regard such material as prime material for a flame war of sorts.

Plan 'B' ??

Like the 'Mithras' short-story that had a *smarter* Legionnary patrol cut them off at the pass during escape into Egypt...

IIRC, there was a follow-up, which probably holds record for series finale...

"Meanwhile, XIV stadia North..."

Hapsburg said:
Jesus's resurection would come mush earlier?

David S Poepoe said:
Isn't readily obvious to you - I guess not - that in the situation you are talking about no one would have written about it. He can't quite be 'historical' then.

Oh, course God wouldn't permit such a thing. Also the divergence could be big so great that is would be pretty hard to calculate. Tho its entirely like that the Grand Architect of the Universe plans for all contingencies. There's also Jesus' brother.

Thankfully there wouldn't then be a Holy Roman Empire to hear about! That is one great blessing that would be visited upon this world. Frankly, I know you are new and 'wet behind the ears', but I would regard such material as prime material for a flame war of sorts.

Wtf, didn't you get the instructions? :rolleyes:

Peter said:
Wtf, didn't you get the instructions? :rolleyes:

I certainly did. What I do find disappointing and distasteful is the language which several new members in the last 2-3 weeks are using. I do not know how old you are but it would be nice if you did act more mature.

David S Poepoe said:
I certainly did. What I do find disappointing and distasteful is the language which several new members in the last 2-3 weeks are using. I do not know how old you are but it would be nice if you did act more mature.

Actually I've been a member for over a year now, I think.

Something I found distasteful is people who can’t let go of their personal prejudice and superstition.

David S Poepoe said:

Dave, that might be me. Just the postal worker and army veteran showing through. I never direct offensive language at anybody, but do use it a lot. My apologies if you or anyone else has been offended.

Weapon M said:
Dave, that might be me. Just the postal worker and army veteran showing through. I never direct offensive language at anybody, but do use it a lot. My apologies if you or anyone else has been offended.

Weapon M and Peter, thank you for you replies. However, you were not the ones that I was considering when I wrote what I did. For those of us that have been on this board for years, even in its previous incarnation, and also frequent s.h.w.i., this board has been relatively free of flame wars or objectionable topics. There have been situations where Ian has had to make an appearance, but those are usually in rare situations. In most cases we have always behaved as gentlemen (and ladies for those even rarer occasions), its just that some recent members are sullening the board.

I guess it would be polite to mention to them that use of rude language only under cuts there arguements, but I think that would be lost on them.

Regarding superstition, I thought Othniel's reply was particularly clever. I can give and take as much as anybody else, but I recognize potential flame war threads when I see it. I simply warned the poster.

David

P.S. My major pet peeve is nobody ever reviews what was discussed before, the same topics come up every few months.

I would echo David's comments, which I suspect may have been prompted by the "wtf" -a needlessly offensive expresion to some of us older farts - as well as the reference to "sacred blah" in the initial post in this thread (which by its very timing to coincide with the Easter season seems somewhat flamish in toto.). It does seem to me that the incidence of explicit profanity and deliberately insulting terms has increased in this board. I'm sure we have all done this on occasion when we feel offended or want to make a point. I know I have.

Where IS Ian, anyway? It seems that he used to be a lot more active on the older board making sure potential flamewars were stopped.

David S Poepoe said:
Regarding superstition, I thought Othniel's reply was particularly clever. I can give and take as much as anybody else, but I recognize potential flame war threads when I see it. I simply warned the poster.
Well at least it did as it was intended to do.

Hapsburg

Banned
you're not talking about the point are you?
f***....
either talk about the effects of the thing or don't post...

i'd think that since the new cult on the block will not have a martyr, they will fade into the dark, and judaisim will become prevalent to a point, maybe on par with the Greco-Roman relgion.
Don't start making biases about relgionss, as not everyone here are christian. keep that in mind...

Hapsburg said:
you're not talking about the point are you?
f***....
either talk about the effects of the thing or don't post...

i'd think that since the new cult on the block will not have a martyr, they will fade into the dark, and judaisim will become prevalent to a point, maybe on par with the Greco-Roman relgion.
Don't start making biases about relgionss, as not everyone here are christian. keep that in mind...

What new cult? The basic and most logical response to the initial question is if there were no Jesus there would be no "new cult on the block". Likely events are, in no particular order: (1) nothing we'd ever hear about in the history books, and Judaism remains a minor sect in the middle east or maybe dies out altogether, (2) the Christian savior will be born anyway, just by another woman and 33 years later maybe called Fred who Died For Our Sins, (3) Judaism may find and latch on to an alternate Messiah figure who will either lead them in rebellion against Rome, perhaps establish a synchretic blend of Jewish monotheism and some of the other mythic cults in the Roman Empire, or create any other possible religion, or (4) Graeco-Roman polythesism gradually gives away to a wonderful growth of rationalism and empirical science in AD250, Rome eventually rules the world as a social democracy, and we have scientific stations on Mars today. Whatever, Dave is right, there will not be Holy Roman Empire, Nicene Creed, or Easter Eggs. Of course, about six hundred years later, the Archangel Gabriel will have a nice long discussion with a certain Meccan trader and make sure we finally get the message right!

Last edited:

Hapsburg

Banned
maybe, but sans the messiah crap. not everyone believes in it. especially me...
ya overzealous right-wing neo-nazi republican bush worshiper
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

you're purpously trying to piss me off, aren't you?

The people were ready for a messiah at that time. At least two instances before Jesus happened. The christians falling out completely with the jews happened when a rebellion commander was called messiah, and the Chrisitans won't accept anybody else. It may indeed launch into effect more messianic movements than before, the title being given to whomever fights for the Jews. In the end you have a much more soreigntist Judea.

Hapsburg

Banned
i read an ATL at one site that has that the jews get help from Parthia, and rebel. then, they form their own nation under another guy named jesus. jesus of nazareth is declared a heretic and a traitor by this other jesus and is executed. its funny...

but, i'd like to see more people talk about this without such a religious bias. maniacal right-wing neo-nazis piss me off.