WIP Map Thread

1690452266780.png

Steady progress! However the final entry is annoying and I threw out my original idea for that slot: a Portuguese East Indies that become a patchwork of princely states with minimal federal government territories scattered between them, due to me feeling like that state wouldn't gain independence in one piece. This is because I doubt that Portugal would be interested/capable of conquering Java, so there wouldn't be a "bridge" between the colonies along the Strait of Malacca and the rest of the former colony, likely causing at least a two-way split.

As a side note, the basic structure I had in mind was that the top row represents alternate colonizers, the middle row alternate outcomes for the late Dutch colonial period, and the bottom row alternate outcomes post-OTL independence.

1690990594171.png

It has almost been a week, so I don't feel bad for posting this again. Only gotta make the flags, make the frames, and then do the write-ups. I genuinely like what I made here and I feel like I learned a bit about Indonesian history.

(and as a reminder, Indonesias for me are post-colonial states that center on the Greater Sunda Islands, though admittedly one of these skirts the line, but it's not something like Majapahit either, so... XD)

Hmmm… what’s going on here. Looks like Russia has Galicia & is that also some OTL German parts of Poland? But the far east is missing.

My guess is this is somewhere shortly after the Napoleonic wars before the Vladivostok area was taken? Different post Napoleonic treaty?

Hmmm… what’s going on here. Looks like Russia has Galicia & is that also some OTL German parts of Poland? But the far east is missing.

My guess is this is somewhere shortly after the Napoleonic wars before the Vladivostok area was taken? Different post Napoleonic treaty?
I was thinking a decisive Russian victory in the Crimean War.

so i ended up picking up a map i haven't worked on for a while and decided to completely remake it. i should clarify now any and all lore is superficial i'm just drawing stuff because i want to
some highlights from the current state of progress, including...
- the republic of china in 1898 (currently workshopping the idea of a russian client state in western mongolia) EDIT: would like to give a shoutout to @MrMano for his work on the qing provinces, which are used here
- the prussian free state and the republic of poland, states that i haven't gotten entirely around to developing yet
- the belgian confederation and rhenish republic (free city of dunkirk not pictured), states established after a nondescript war with the french that led to the creation of the third republic (the first ended around 1820, the second lasted until said war)

1691448889047.png

1691448899392.png
1691448926063.png

bonus: how china is organised ITTL, upscaled for legibility's sake
1691448969166.png

Last edited:
Sorry for the teasing. The main focus of the TL is on the effects of China successfully modernizing in the 19th century, becoming one of the three global superpowers in the 20th century and exporting its unique ideology and political system to the rest of the world, in competition with Russia and America. Russia, while remaining a semi-absolute monarchy, goes down a somewhat different ideological path in the 19th century and comes out of the 20th century much better than IOTL. America and American ideology remain largely the same, but the way they act is very different since they don't have to compete with Marxism coming in from their left, so they become the main funder of revolutionary movements across the world ITTL.
It's based on an OTL provincial reform proposal by Boris Sturmer, made just before the February Revolution, which called for decentralizing the administration to make the government more flexible. The governorates would be rearranged into 15-18 oblasts, sorta like the early Soviet krais (eg. Lower Volga krai). In fact, I'm wondering if they weren't just an evolution of Sturmer's plan.

The POD for TTL is 1803, so Sturmer isn't around, but the same ideas are.
What's the name of whatever became Vladivostok in this world? Is it thoroughly Sinicized from the start or does it have any outside demographics, is it a major port city with military bases and stuff (as it should be) or a sleeping backwater?

Oh and what is alt-Juneau, Alaska's situation?

Last edited:
Attempt on very-alt world war 2
I think it is done,* only some small legend missing
* ok, now i see unfinished border of Kongo
L.png

Attempt on very-alt world war 2
I think it is done,* only some small legend missing
* ok, now i see unfinished border of Kongo
View attachment 850545
And the border of the Italian puppets in Africa, like the Kenya-Somalia and Sudan-Eritrea should be gray if I understand your stylistic motif from peering at your map wondering what is going on with the timeline and if America ever owned Alaska and who's occupying it lol

And the border of the Italian puppets in Africa, like the Kenya-Somalia and Sudan-Eritrea should be gray if I understand your stylistic motif from peering at your map wondering what is going on with the timeline and if America ever owned Alaska and who's occupying it lol
Thanks! You are right about these borders, also some colors are maybe to be changed...
Timeline - well, there is no timeline or PoD (though if there would be one, it would be probably interwar)
America still owns Alaska... well, on paper at least.

Argentina 2064 recortado.jpg

My first map :). I've been working on this, now I have to add the cities, I'm a bit of a dummy and saved it as a JPG so editing it further is going to be not so nice I think. What do you guys use to make maps? I've been using mypaint but I don't know how I'll add the cities using that, so I'm looking for another software. The resolution doesn't look so nice either, so I'm figuring out how to improve that.

My first map :). I've been working on this, now I have to add the cities, I'm a bit of a dummy and saved it as a JPG so editing it further is going to be not so nice I think. What do you guys use to make maps? I've been using mypaint but I don't know how I'll add the cities using that, so I'm looking for another software. The resolution doesn't look so nice either, so I'm figuring out how to improve that.

For raster maps, I always use Paint.net, though I know some people use GIMP. For vector maps, Inkscape is usually the go-to. All of these are free to use.