Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
At work.

Indeed to many comments as posted above.

Diesel ic can run on pretty much anything. Have heard comments that they generate more power using natural gas than diesel fuel. Which is the opposite for petrol engines.

However... weight in a fighting vehicle would always seem to be at a premium.

Only so much of any one thing can be bolted on.

Even if the turbine+fuel takes up more 'volume', if there is a mass saving then armor weight and mobility can increase...... possibly.

Again, as has been mentioned, turbines don't 'Idle'. You can't, as some modern engines do, selectivly internally switch off cylinders while idling to conserve even more fuel etc.

Each engine has their good and bad points.

:D

At work.

Indeed to many comments as posted above.

Diesel ic can run on pretty much anything. Have heard comments that they generate more power using natural gas than diesel fuel. Which is the opposite for petrol engines.

Even if the turbine+fuel takes up more 'volume', if there is a mass saving then armor weight and mobility can increase...... possibly.

Again, as has been mentioned, turbines don't 'Idle'. You can't, as some modern engines do, selectively internally switch off cylinders while idling to conserve even more fuel etc.

Each engine has their good and bad points.

:D
if anything would replace the ic & diesel combination in a fighting vehicle then i think the methanol fuelcell(or even better a ethanol fuelcell) has the highest chance.
the methanol can be distributed just like the diesel now (existing logic trail) and doesn't need a grid. also the fuelcells themselves are known for their compactness and utter reliability, plus the electric motors take up less space.
Ethanol would also have other advantages, since it can be easily produced in a bioreactor, and we have loads of experience with producing it.

Turbines are higher maintenance and more finicky, which are not attributes you want to have on a military vehicle. This may be why only the Abrams and the T-80 every used them, and the latter has now been replaced.

Again, as has been mentioned, turbines don't 'Idle'. You can't, as some modern engines do, selectivly internally switch off cylinders while idling to conserve even more fuel etc.
That's a relatively modern idea. Also, I understand that turbines can idle to a degree, but with the fault that it takes them a few seconds to really react to any change, a bit like turbo-chargers really.

I hope my following request is not too remiss.

Having been puttering around with very simple photoshop workings. I now hope to post my images of the Panther Turbine engine here along with images I've found of the VK 45.01 (Porche's failed hybrid electric drive) so as to work out/asses if the former engine can even fit inside said hull shape.

Much cheers for comments and feed back.

Update from the former colonies
Spent yesterday wandering Kowloon in search of model shops - Mrs Claymore off with wife of friend doing girlie shopping and emptying our bank balance. Surprised and slightly disappointed that the price of models here are, in general, no different to back home. However, the range of kits available is quite awesome. Anyhoo, eventually found this little shop off of a main street market and what a find! Wall to wall models stacked floor to ceiling with only just enough space to squeeze past the piles of uber goodness.

Sadly, I could have spent my life savings in that one shop if only because there was so many models I hadn't seen before. Alas not many, if any, were on my must have list. Indeed the very kits I need to complete the Ratte an others were conspicuous by their absence. Nevertheless, I managed to pick up a Tamiya M48 for 95HKD (about £9.50) and a M42 for 75HKD (about £7.50) - no real need for them but just too good a deal to miss out on. Also managed to pick up a few bits for Jim's build. All good in the end and lots to dream about... ;)

Last edited:
Spent yesterday wandering Kowloon in search of model shops - Mrs Claymore off with wife of friend doing girlie shopping and emptying our bank balance. Surprised and slightly disappointed that the price of models here are, in general, no different to back home. However, the range of kits available is quite awesome. Anyhoo, eventually found this little shop off of a main street market and what a find! Wall to wall models stacked floor to ceiling with only just enough space to squeeze past the piles of uber goodness.

Sadly, I could have spent my life savings in that one shop if only because there was so many models I hadn't seen before. Alas not many, if any, were on my must have list. Indeed the very kits I need to complete the Ratte an others were conspicuous by their absence. Nevertheless, I managed to pick up a Tamiya M48 for 95HKD (about £9.50) and a M42 for 75HKD (about £7.50) - no real need for them but just too good a deal to miss out on. Also managed to pick up a few bits for Jim's build. All god in the end and lots to dream about... ;)
I look forward to seeing the finished project. :)

Sadly, I could have spent my life savings in that one shop if only because there was so many models I hadn't seen before. Alas not many, if any, were on my must have list. Indeed the very kits I need to complete the Ratte an others were conspicuous by their absence. Nevertheless, I managed to pick up a Tamiya M48 for 95HKD (about £9.50) and a M42 for 75HKD (about £7.50) - no real need for them but just too good a deal to miss out on. Also managed to pick up a few bits for Jim's build. All god in the end and lots to dream about... ;)
You must have very good will power, I would have walked out of there penniless!
I hope Mrs Claymore is as thrift of a shopper. :)

Sadly, I could have spent my life savings in that one shop if only because there was so many models I hadn't seen before. Alas not many, if any, were on my must have list. Indeed the very kits I need to complete the Ratte an others were conspicuous by their absence. Nevertheless, I managed to pick up a Tamiya M48 for 95HKD (about £9.50) and a M42 for 75HKD (about £7.50) - no real need for them but just too good a deal to miss out on. Also managed to pick up a few bits for Jim's build. All good in the end and lots to dream about... ;)
Which model of M48 was it?

So, here we have some illustrations.

A turret shape I quite like on the fantasy E-50. The hull of the Porsche proposal and the diagram of the Panther turbine. The side veiw of how the Porsche suspension can be 'contracted'(?) to resemble torsion bar wheel over lap is also naffy.

Of note. The upper stage of the turbine is only connected to the compressor stage by a pipe. The upper and lower secions could be repositioned into diffrent places, with just a changing of the connectiong air duct. So, with some re-plumbing... the drive train might still be able to be attatched to the rear sprockets... ?

So, might the graphics wizards please workt their magic and

1) Adjust things to the same size/scale?

2) Comments about that engine fitting into the Porsche rear deck?

Ah! That finally worked. :)

Cheers!

Last edited:

A turret shape I quite like on the fantasy E-50. The hull of the Porsche proposal and the diagram of the Panther turbine. The side veiw of how the Porsche suspension can be 'contracted'(?) to resemble torsion bar wheel over lap is also naffy.

Of note. The upper stage of the turbine is only connected to the compressor stage by a pipe. The upper and lower secions could be repositioned into diffrent places, with just a changing of the connectiong air duct. So, with some re-plumbing... the drive train might still be able to be attatched to the rear sprockets... ?

Cheers!
Interesting and I would give it a shot but I can't scale things very well. Will have to wait till Claymore gets back from vacation.
I might try a rough sketch but it won't be very accurate.

Random question - what would be the best tank that the Russians in World War One could produce? Would we be looking at a FT - 17 tank or a Whippet esque light tank?

That's pretty bad mate... see room for improvement!
OK, how about this then?
KzDVbXb.jpg

Cheers!

Interesting and I would give it a shot but I can't scale things very well. Will have to wait till Claymore gets back from vacation.
I might try a rough sketch but it won't be very accurate.

The problem here is that the E-50 Ausf M is an entirely fictional vehicle. Consequently, unless someone can provide me with its supposed dimensions, there is no way that I can scale your images against anything with any degree of certainty.

The problem here is that the E-50 Ausf M is an entirely fictional vehicle. Consequently, unless someone can provide me with its supposed dimensions, there is no way that I can scale your images against anything with any degree of certainty.
How about using the Porsche VK-4502 auf.A or Panther-II? Although neither was ever built. are at least a real OTL designs.

How about using the Porsche VK-4502 auf.A or Panther-II? Although neither was ever built. are at least a real OTL designs.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what is being asked for and which image is to be rescaled and against what. The E-50 is a never-was-panzer and the E-50 Ausf M is a never-was-of-a-never-was-panzer!

Status
Not open for further replies.