Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to Part 1 of this thread, hopefully, Part2 will be equally as popular...

The premise for Part 2 is pretty much the same as that for Part 1 in so much as the idea is for folks to come up with concepts for realistic alternative-history-AFVs.

Given that I am currently building a 1/35 scale Landkreuzer P.1000 Ratte, I will remove my original caveat which said that I am not looking for the loony nazi-like ideas of sticking battleship turrets on monstrous tracked movers! However, I am still very much looking for believable developments, variants or new designs that would support some of the excellent TLs in this forum or indeed any other AH TL.

Pretty much anything is fair game, except that ideas should be justified with suitable developmental lines/back stories and be within the bounds of practicality and the laws of physics - turret ring sizes are usually a good limiting factor for AFVs - so no fitting Panther turrets onto Mk1 Panzers please!!!

My ultimate aim is still to build some of your ideas in 1:35 scale, if possible, but if there are any other modellers out there or CGI Gurus or line drawing Ninjas please feel free to post your work.

Although coming to its natural life-ex, if you are interested in Part1, you can still find it and all of its excellent references at this link:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=218561

Last edited:
Let me start things off with some gratuitous imagery of a selection of completed and on going projects. You can see a full display of my completed projects at the link in my signature block below:

8exwoLo.jpg

9BSAjoH.jpg

BAu1afW.jpg

lUP2mIN.jpg

ApFFi6I.jpg

XwHjWGS.jpg

LDT2vbm.jpg

d5JxAkL.jpg

8oZeHYs.jpg

x1rjsrH.png

Oqm68OB.png

Last edited:
Wow new thread. :)
I'm going to break it in with a design I originally planned to use on Cupola Dreams but I went in a different direction instead so I'm posting it here.

It was to be a late war Vossland heavy chariot and started as a Pz.35 light tank, I gave it a Japanese style exhaust and a Pz-III-Pz-38 hybrid turret.
In the end though it looked more like a medium tank at best and is closer to the Zind AFV designs I had already done.

EDIT: Oops! I guess its only fair that Claymore post the first new designs. :D

RE-EDIT: Those aren't new! :p

Zp-V_Heavy War Chariot.png

Last edited:
The old thread is dead, long live the new thread!

I love the minigun Sherman and the Churchill with the Tiger II turret.

Wow new thread. :)
I'm going to break it in with a design I originally planned to use on Cupola Dreams but I went in a different direction instead so I'm posting it here.

It was to be a late war Vossland heavy chariot and started as a Pz.35 light tank, I gave it a Japanese style exhaust and a Pz-III-Pz-38 hybrid turret.
In the end though it looked more like a medium tank at best and is closer to the Zind AFV designs I had already done.

EDIT: Oops! I guess its only fair that Claymore post the first new designs. :D

Not at all, first come first served. :)

The old thread is dead, long live the new thread!

I love the minigun Sherman and the Churchill with the Tiger II turret.

Thanks mate. Check out the Completed Project Display thread for full details and backstory of the GAU-12 armed Sherman and the Tiger II turreted A43 Black Prince.

The Soviet IT-1 missile tank was based on the T-62. As can be seen, it was armed solely with missiles.
The IT-1 wasn't originally based on the T-62 chassis, it was based on the Object 140.
2zhytmc.jpg

There was also a design based on the Object 167:
f3YazWa.jpg

From the Kharkov there was the Object 431 which was based on the Object 430. VNII-100 also joined in on the fun and developed a missile tank on the Object 279
8Sfybdz.gif

Last edited:
The thread is dead.

Long live the thread!

I think that would sound appropriate if it was translated and said in German / Russian and English much like the Olympics.

I digress, with my ASB TL at this stage I am either transporting an Austro - Hungarian regiment from WW 1 or parts of the German Sixth Army from 1942. It really depends on the mood I am in... the soldiers will be sent to a place that physically resembles the former Yugoslavia and may have ethnic Croats, Bulgarians and or Serbs. The planet experienced a nuclear apocalypse some 10 - 30 years before the arrival of my protagonists, so there is scope here for original AFVs (again circa 1950s tech).

Part of the story is that I always feel at times we underestimate the ability of humanity to adapt to changing circumstances, plus I want to have a proper Army smack the snot out of a warlord and his evil ways. Plus I want to create an enlightened despot in a modern setting.

The thread is dead.

Long live the thread!

I think that would sound appropriate if it was translated and said in German / Russian and English much like the Olympics.

I digress, with my ASB TL at this stage I am either transporting an Austro - Hungarian regiment from WW 1 or parts of the German Sixth Army from 1942. It really depends on the mood I am in... the soldiers will be sent to a place that physically resembles the former Yugoslavia and may have ethnic Croats, Bulgarians and or Serbs. The planet experienced a nuclear apocalypse some 10 - 30 years before the arrival of my protagonists, so there is scope here for original AFVs (again circa 1950s tech).

Part of the story is that I always feel at times we underestimate the ability of humanity to adapt to changing circumstances, plus I want to have a proper Army smack the snot out of a warlord and his evil ways. Plus I want to create an enlightened despot in a modern setting.
Sounds like a really cool idea, I'll definitely give it a read. :)
I vote for using elements of the Sixth Army because I'm a fan of German AFVs and I think they'd have a better chance in the post apocalypse scenario your planning.

I would also suggest that the people of the P.A world use AFVs that are a bit of a mish mash of different parts like the vehicles I posted in the last couple of pages of the former thread. Nothing too crazy or unrealistic, its just that I think the P.A. people would have to use whatever they can find and get to work.
I imagine the German forces would eventually have to improvise their equipment and weapons as well, it be cool I think to read about WWII German soldiers using AKs, RPGs and T-55s. :cool:

I also like to think there'd be a chance for me and Claymore to draw up some new "Improvised" AFVs for your new TL. :D

The thread is dead.

Long live the thread!

If we're going off of OTL up until the nuclear apocalypse, Yugoslavia is going to be a veritable graveyard of different armored vehicles as they didn't start producing T-55s until very late and for quite some time were making their own indigenous tank based off of the T-55 and western technology. Likewise, they didn't have access to the T-34/85 and instead created their own reverse engineered version, the Vozilo A. So they would be using a combination of old M4s, T-34s, Stuarts, M47s, M36s, M18s, M7 Priests, etc, and depending on the time they would probably still have lots of WWII era armored vehicles from Germany and Italy laying around.

As for using Sixth Army, BlairWitch749 had a story idea years ago where elements of Sixth Army end up transported back to Transylvania and have to fight vampires and other creatures and such. He never did get around to using that idea or writing it though, so I would love to see that idea finally brought to life, even if it's not quite the same.

If we're going off of OTL up until the nuclear apocalypse, Yugoslavia is going to be a veritable graveyard of different armored vehicles as they didn't start producing T-55s until very late and for quite some time were making their own indigenous tank based off of the T-55 and western technology. Likewise, they didn't have access to the T-34/85 and instead created their own reverse engineered version, the Vozilo A. So they would be using a combination of old M4s, T-34s, Stuarts, M47s, M36s, M18s, M7 Priests, etc, and depending on the time they would probably still have lots of WWII era armored vehicles from Germany and Italy laying around.

As for using Sixth Army, BlairWitch749 had a story idea years ago where elements of Sixth Army end up transported back to Transylvania and have to fight vampires and other creatures and such. He never did get around to using that idea or writing it though, so I would love to see that idea finally brought to life, even if it's not quite the same.
If you ask me, mutants are the next best thing to vampires. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.