Cessa o Nevoeiro: O Surgir do Quinto Império - A Portuguese Timeline

Great update.

Interesting how the Spanish nation is trying to handle the situation and how politics will affect the outcome. IOTL it was the desire of and resentment by Barcelona and the old rights of Aragon and Madrid's attempt to strip them of these rights that led to Aragon/Barcelona revolting at same time as Portugal's. The combined external wars and revolt in the Iberian Peninsula proved too much and the Spanish government decided that Barcelona/Aragon was of greater importance and did nothing to send additional troops to Portugal and Portugal became independent.

Here we have similar situation externally (Actually I think worse) and attempts by France to stir up the resentment of the Basque / Barcelona without much success. The changing political environment (death of Spanish monarch) could change person leading the fight against the French and Dutch combined that with the competing interests of various Spanish regions make for intriguing read. The question in my mind is will the French have commitment to stay the course or will both internal and/or reversal on the battlefield cause them to make peace.

Lastly of course is Portugal and its continued neutrality. How long will that last and are they both better off staying neutral or entering into the war and attempting to seize territory if they feel Spain is about to implode? Some would say that it would be in Portugal's interest that Spain does not implode, and France grow even stronger. While others would be looking at parts of Western Spain or its empire as prized targets.
I say the French could sue for peace if the fronts stall or the Spanish make significant counterattacks. Also, money issues and internal intrigue could do the trick.

I think Portugal would like Spain to dissolve into multiple countries without the need to intervene military. This way, the only land neighbor in Europe gets easier to handle when compared to Spain as it is. So far, the Portuguese Kings don't want to get involved in these types of wars by I can say that the next King, Philip I will be less prone to peace if he either needs to send a message or if it's the Ottomans.

Portuguese Nationalism has been growing in influence with the Guimarães Branch of the Avis returning to the spirit of Aljubarrota, or "we are not Castilians and don't want to be dominated by them", rather than the Pro-Iberian Union that characterized most Avis since Duarte I and in OTL led to the Iberian Union happening. In a sense, a separation between the country's interest and the Dynasty's interest is becoming more pronounced. The nobility and high clergy, who supported the Union are also in communion with the Avis-Guimarães' directives.

This is important if this Nationalism turns into Irredentism and the Portuguese decided that the Galicians are oppressed Portuguese that need to be liberated and they go to war because of that. A lot of things can cause a war between Portugal and Spain aside from that, South America is bound to become a barrel of gunpowder eventually...

I need to restart reading this TL, since my time was scarce, I had stopped. I've seen you have been publishing quite regularly. I must congratulate you for being consistent with updates to this TL. Keep working!
I mean if what keeps punching the wall every day, it eventually breaks...It took me a while to have all these Updates together to publish it this way, especially when I have other projects but once you get there it gives you satisfaction. I took way too much time with this Great Religious War mostly because of my need to express details but I think I'm getting the hang of it, so hopefully the next wars will go smoother and quicker.

I also intend to rewrite or fix some previous chapters namely Portuguese North Africa and the Middle East where there are problems. I also plan on changing the names to Portuguese or rather this TL'version of Portuguese to give it a "more Portuguese vibe". Obviously, English names will continue inside brackets for those who need them. So re-reading it can be worth your time. Thanks for the incentive.

Europe: Between 1625 and 1628
Europa: Entre 1625 e 1628

The Italian Peninsula
1625 marked the beginning of another grim period for the Italian Peninsula as the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse ravaged the once wealthiest part of Europe yet again. War once more brought its consequences as the Habsburgos fought against the Anti-Habsburgo coalition to maintain their holdings and supremacy over the Peninsula. Only the Republic of Luca, the Republic of São Marino and the Duchy of Masa and Carrara were fully outside of the conflict with the much larger states participating in different capacities.

The war brought the need to increase taxes with Espanha and Savoia raising them the most followed by the Duchy of Mântua, especially after the war reached it in 1628. The increase in taxes decreased the people’s purchase power and made their lives much harder which in turn resulted in malnutrition exacerbated by the need to supply the armies. This made the population particularly susceptible to disease which came in the form of an outbreak of the Black Death brought from both Fransa and Alemanha [Germany] by the soldiers. The plague was particularly deathly in the northern Italian Peninsula which was where the war was looming. The Duchy of Milão was the most affected region with nearly all its largest cities losing 80% of the population but every country to the north of the River Pó outside of Jénova [Genoa] lost between 40% to 70%. This caused a dramatic demographic shift in the Peninsula which in 1632, when the plague stabilized had the following changes:
1686943610430.png

The wealthiest cities of Milão and Veneza were now husks of their former glory, the latter still conserved an important economic, political and cultural role in the Peninsula but in the international trade, it was overshadowed by countries with Colonial Empires. The southern part of the Peninsula was the least affected area by the plague but the constant warfare did not allow the region to reach its full potential, instead, the economic, political and cultural centre of the Italians was once more in the centre.

The Estados Papais as the center of Catholicism held a considerable influence over not only the Peninsula and the Catholic world and long gone was its submission to Habsburgo interests, facilitated by the rise of Fransa and to a lesser extent Portugal and Toscânia. But in fact, it was this last country that was emerging as the regional power of the Peninsula, recovering the primacy it held in the times of Cosme the Elder and Lourenso the Magnificent thanks to its modern army and navy, diplomatic might, financial capabilities and emerging economy tied to the Portuguese and French Colonial Empires. The smallest countries such as Parma, Modena and Mântua were the most affected, their small sizes made it impossible to stay unaffected by the geopolitical interests of the Habsburgos and their enemies and also made the impact of the plague much harsher. The Dukes wanted to stay away from the conflict but they couldn’t oppose anyone.

Toscânia:
Leonor de Portugal was capable of capitalizing the war in Toscânia’s favour as already stated. With Piombino and the Prezídio in her control, at least temporarily, she focused her efforts on fully revitalizing the economy, fighting the plague and unifying the laws, customs and taxes of the country. Like most Monarchs of her time, she worked hard to get the assemblies of Florensa and Siena to get their taxes equal and started a new codification of laws based on the existing compilations but also on the Joanine Ordinances of her father in Portugal to integrate everything though she was stealthy about it and did not touch the historical institutions.

She had made some outlandish expenditures to get the territory expansions she carved but the state coffers were not depleted as Leonor used the capital of the Médisis Bank, more specifically the Roman branch, to cover the most pressing needs, thus she managed to make Toscânia the only country in the Peninsula that did not need to increase taxes to face the dire times, a winning strategy. Her policy attracted emigrants from other parts of the Peninsula especially with the war raging, unfortunately, the plague demanded more draconian health measures that made it harder to enter the Grand Duchy and travel through it so the benefits were not seen before the end of the plague. The silk industry in Toscânia also saw a shy rebirth as competition from Milão and Veneza suffered the worst consequences of everything and trade continued with foreign countries like Portugal, Espanha and Fransa.

Tragedy or perhaps the Apiani Curse hit the Médisis on January 23, 1628, when Grand Duke Fernando II died of plague at just seventeen. He had been a bright young man much loved by the population of the Grand Duchy as he often visited the sick often, to give them strength which is more than likely to have been the cause of his so early demise. Leonor was heartbroken and had to be replaced by her brothers-in-law for a few weeks as she grieved. Reportedly she said once to the Portuguese Ambassador “My precious son had been preparing to make a tour around Europe and he was most excited to see our gorgeous Lisboa and God took him away so soon...my heart is broken...”

Fernando’s middle brother, Fransisco Pedro [Francesco Pietro], then 12 years old took the throne as Fransisco II. Unlike, his brother he was shier and weak-minded but he was a good warrior and determined to be a proper ruler and his mother assured him she would help him. His younger brother João Lourenso [Giovanni Lorenzo], who at seven was hailed exceptionally bright was groomed to be his counsellor and next head of the Médisis Bank as Leonor knew this would be a great combination that would avert the many errors their ancestors made.

Negotiations were made with Duke Fransisco II of Urbino to continue the betrothal between the Médisis and young Vitória Delarrovere [Victoria della Rovere], his granddaughter was also being educated by Leonor. Perhaps out of pity and international pressure, the Duke agreed to pass Urbino to the Médisis and Pope Clemente IX relented and agreed provided the Médisis kept the vassalage of Urbino to the Papacy and paid its dues.

Grand Duchess Leonor chose to slowly shift her diplomatic policy from a Pro-Habsburgo stance to a strictly neutral one. Toscânia was not immune to the xenophobic feeling that many Italians had of foreign powers, one of the many intellectuals that Leonor sponsored, Otávio Belenho [Ottavio Bellegno] published in 1628 a book called “The Need to Revive the Italic League” in which he called for the Italic League created in 1454 by the Estados Papais, Veneza, Milão under the Sforza, Florensa and Nápoles to keep the peace in the Italian Peninsula and keep the foreigners away to be revived after it’s collapse during the Italian War of 1494.

Belenho [Bellegno] argued that it was needed more than ever in the early 17th Century to prevent the devastation that was occurring and create a solid power block implicitly to oppose Habsburgo and Burbom [Bourbon] interests. Thus, he argued that the alliance which he envisioned as a political, economic and military one should have Toscânia ruled by the Médisis who were the guarantors of the previous Italic League to be the guarantors and enactors of the new Italic League which he hoped to also encompass the Estados Papais, Veneza, Savoia, Jénova, Parma, Modena, Mântua and Luca.

He claimed a joint navy between Veneza, Jénova, Toscânia and Estados Papais could match every opponent in the Mediterranean except for the Iberian navies and he claimed a joint army with Toscânia and Savoia as the pivots could match any other country that threatened the Peninsula. Belenho [Bellegno] was not the only one that exalted Italian nationalism against the Burbons and the Habsburgos, Duke Carlos Emanuel I of Savoia also had plenty of admirers such as Alexandre Tasoni [Alessandro Tassoni] and Fulvio Testi as his very aggressive expansionism was praised and had ignited Italian nationalism and patriotism. One can conclude that there were three major contenders for the beacons of Italy nationalism, Savoia with its very aggressive land expansionism, Veneza with its overseas possessions and Toscânia with its banking power and diplomacy expansionism.

The ever-ambitious Leonor de Portugal was happy to push the Médisis to be beacons of Italian nationalism so she started to pursue a policy to revive the Italic League by agreeing to the betrothal of her eldest daughter Izabel Maria with Duke Eduardo of Parma, which would align two of the most influential Italian families, the Médisis and the Farnese. Since Eduardo and his mother Margarida Aldobrandini [Margherita Aldobrandini] were seeking to forge alliances with the Este and the Gonzaga, Leonor used them to create a network of family ties that the Médisis could lead as they were by far the strongest out of the four.

4c999e71c55002dde675051228b326f1.jpg
Grand Duke Fernando II of Toscânia 1610-1628​

The Danube and the Black Sea
Transilvânia:
In Transilvânia, Estêvão Batóri [István Báthory] finally turned 16 on May 6, 1626, and was therefore considered of age to be elected Prince of Transilvânia as agreed upon between the nobility. Despite this, some members of the Regency were reluctant to comply, namely Estêvão Betlém [István Bethlen] although when Prince Fernando da Hungria and his uncle Leopoldo travelled for the ceremonies, the opposition backed down, fearing the return of the religious wars to the Principality. Thus on May 25, 1626, the new Prince of Transilvânia was crowned Estêvão II and there were many hopes he would emulate the first Estêvão who ended up as a very powerful Monarch. Young Estêvão swore to be a loyal Christian and a loyal vassal of the King of Hungria, Emperor Fernando II, but also promised to fulfil the Edict of Torda of 1568, which guaranteed religious freedom in Transilvânia, something that his cousin and uncle were not expecting.

Estêvão II was a very pious Catholic but having witnessed what religious wars did to Hungria and beyond, he was committed to keeping the peace not only in Transilvânia but in all of Hungria. He was thus the proper example of the policy of converting through reason and not with the sword as he refused to persecute heretics and tried to remain as impartial as he could. Very different in demeanour from his hated father, Estêvão was quick to gain the support of the Transylvanians. As the heir of all Batóri branches which made him the most powerful man in all three Hungrias (Habsburgo held, Otomano held and Transilvânia) in terms of wealth and power after his uncle. He invited his uncle André Batóri [András Báthory] who until then lived exiled in Polónia-Lituânia to Transylvania and made him a decently powerful Boiár [Boyar]. His younger sister Maria Cristina was adamant about becoming a nun and his Habsburgo cousins wanted to make his brother André Carlos, the Cardinal of All Hungria so aside from his younger sister Izabel Madalena, his already married uncle seemed like the only possibility to continue the Batóri line if Estêvão died.

This compelled Prince to find a wife. His mother and his uncle the Emperor wanted him to marry one of the latter’s daughters, either Maria Ana or Sesília Renata [Cecilia Renata] who were around his age and there were a few other Catholic alternatives in Baviera, Badém and Nasau but a Protestant faction led by Estêvão Betlém was pushing for a Protestant marriage of which one of the suggestions was Catarina of Brandemburgo-Prúsia, a sister to both the current Elector Jorje Guilherme [George William] and the Queen of Suésia, Maria Leonor.

The Prince put it on his head that Catarina was the perfect choice because not only would it demonstrate he meant his promises to the Protestants but also that it would help his uncle the Emperor’s relationships with the Protestants in hopes that a lasting peace could be achieved in the Empire. His choice was heavily criticized by his Habsburgo uncles and even his mother but there is private correspondence between Estêvão and Prince Fernando that shows that the heir of the Imperial Possessions and Hungria endorsed the choice privately.

Betlém was sent as Ambassador to Berlim where he negotiated the marriage. Jorje Guilherme was at first very concerned, fearing reprisals from everyone as his holdings were either being occupied or used as pathways as if they weren’t his. He eventually conceded when he got guarantees that nothing would happen from the Emperor and a Calvinist proxy marriage in Berlim occurred on December 17, 1626, before a Catholic marriage took place on March 20, 1627, at Alba Júlia with the groom being 16 years old and the bride 21.

The marriage did not start well, however, Estêvão fell in love at first sight with Catarina who was considered beautiful but she was quite haughty, expensive and flirtatious towards men, which left the somewhat socially awkward Prince worried especially when rumours spread around a possible adulterous case. With some work from his mother and sisters, who deeply disliked Catarina’s Calvinism, the relationship started to become smoother with the Princess falling pregnant to an unfortunate miscarriage on April 7, 1628, which ended up with Catarina converting to Catholicism thanks to the influence of the very pious Catholic court. Despite this, like her husband, she was a protector of Protestants and despite her flirtatious personality was very well-liked by the general population of the Principality.

The Jesuits who had entered Transylvania under Jorje I Drugete [György Drugeth] were succeeding in converting the Principality to Catholicism even though plenty of Hungarian Protestants left Royal Hungria for Transilvânia. Early in his reign Estêvão also tried to improve the lives of the Romanians but his success was limited because the Boiáres were against losing their serfs. All in all, Estêvão II’s reign represented the start of prosperity in Transilvânia. Despite the clear submission of the Principality to the Habsburgos, their overlords, they had plenty of autonomy and the interests of both were not all coincidental. Trade with the rest of Europe was encouraged and so was mining, while Alba Júlia became a cultural centre with foreign musicians, painters, dancers and other artists invited to the Prince’s palace. Estêvão spoke German, Hungarian, Latin and some say Castillian but he quickly became a promoter of Hungarian which started to have a Renaissance under his reign.

ca555dcb467a8e5303164766102305fd.jpg
lossy-page1-800px-Maria_Eleonora_av_Brandenburg%2C_g._Sverige_%28Henrik_M%C3%BCnnichhofen%29_-_Nationalmuseum_-_39001.tif.jpg

Prince Estêvão II of Transilvânia and Catarina of Brandemburgo-Prúsia

Valáquia and Moldávia:
While Nicolau II of Valáquia caught gout just like his father-in-law Radu IX had, it was Radu X who died first January 13, 1626. Many of his loyal Boiáres urged Nicolau to take full control over the country but he refused and honoured the Commitment of Craióva by recognizing Radu’s eldest son, Alexandre of fourteen, as Co-Prince Alexandre III of Valáquia.

Fearing his death, Nicolau’s son Miguel Draculésti was just five years old so it’s likely that he wanted Valáquia to have a grown Prince leading the country and Alexandre filled that role. His death occurred on August 9, 1627, and Alexandre immediately tried to go around the Commitment of Craióva by stating his cousin was too young to be elected Prince but the Boiáres who favoured Nicolau’s side of the family presented him with an ultimatum: either Alexandre accepted Miguel as Co-Prince or they would depose him. Alexandre relented and recognized his seven-year-old cousin as Co-Prince Miguel III.

Because of this, Alexandre yielded most of the power and while he was a good warrior, he lived a lavish lifestyle and was not as capable of diplomacy as his father had been. He was also less inclined to support Greeks and Levantines but even that did not help him from inheriting the hate his father had incurred so he was forced to get someone to help and that someone was Constantino Xerbã [Constantin Șerban], the bastard son of Radu IX. Constantino was young but was as capable as his father had been and was someone who the now deceased Nicolau II had relied on many times and so did his half-sister Ana Xerbã now that she had the Regency of her son. Alexandre chose him because he trusted him.

Constantino assumed the position of “Prime Minister” becoming the true power behind the throne in Valáquia or as some call him the Third Prince. He kept the policies of his predecessors, keeping good relations with Moldávia, Polónia-Lituânia, Transilvânia, Áustria and Portugal, reduced the taxes in Alexandre’s part of the country and thus curbed the hatred towards him.

Alexandre VI of Moldávia reduced the size of his army to save money but he had to keep a standing army to control the Nogais and Tatars. He also made a consortium with the Polish to create a joint Black Sea Navy and invited Portuguese, Spanish, Venetian and Greek shipbuilders, granting them many privileges including the right to erect Catholic churches, especially in the coast towns of Sitatia Alba [Cetatea Albă/Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi] and Quilia [Chilia/Kiliia]. The first galleon, Sfânt Iacob [Saint James] was completed in 1628 by these very same shipbuilders being the first of its kind on the Black Sea which was deeply concerning for the Ottomans who until then had full control of the Black Sea.

Perhaps the biggest impact of both Polónia-Lituânia and Moldávia having access to the Black Sea was the missionary work, both Catholic and Orthodox, that started along the coast of the Black Sea more specifically to Sircásia [Circassia] and Jórjia [Georgia] where Islam was trying to encroach benefitting from decades of Christian decadence. Valáquia and Moldávia reinforced their alliance with the betrothals and later marriages of both Alexandre III and Miguel III with Alexandre VI’s nieces, the first married Simone Movilá and the latter Izabel Movilá while the heir of Moldávia, Constantino was promised to Ilinca Draculésti, the sister of Miguel III. The two Danube Principalities entered an era of prosperity that would last for the next decades.

Crimeia and the Otomano Empire:
Following the Treaty of Vozai of 1624, Saím I [Sahim I] managed, despite his defeat, to consolidate his reign further. His aggressive treatment of the nobility made them very discontent and Cã Temir, equally discontent after Saím had given his former territory to the Polish and Moldavians, joined forces with them in hopes of taking the Cã down. While at first Temir had the upper hand, Saím managed to get support from the Cossacks and Circassians and turned the tide around by defeating and killing Temir in a battle near the Ottoman fortress of Azóvia [Azov].

His victory granted Saím absolute control of the Canado da Crimeia [Crimea Khanate] with the nobility being subservient to him. This allowed him to promote some reforms, the most prominent of which was stripping the nobility from its hereditary fiefs, the Beis [Beys] and Mirzas had to be appointed by the Cã himself akin to what the Ottoman Sultan did. Saím preferred to nominate the old families to the positions they had been filling for decades to keep them loyal but some he had defeated lost all their power and holdings and everyone needed to understand that the Cã needed to be satisfied for them to retain their offices.

Another change Saím promoted was to end the nomadic lifestyle of his people by promoting the settlement of the existing towns and creating new ones to boost commerce and practice agriculture. Saím and his most loyal allies knew that the age of slave raiding was ending with not only the Commonwealth but also Rúsia and the Cossacks getting increasingly more powerful and difficult to raid. Saím also wanted to be more than a puppet of the Ottoman Sultans and for this, he needed the support of the Polish and Cossacks.

In the Ottoman Empire, Sultan Murade IV was still a minor and his mother Cösem Sultã [Kösem Sultan] ruled as Regent. Her job was not easy as the Empire still did not recover from the various territorial losses brought about by the Treaty of Belgrado of 1620, was losing against the Persians in Mesopotâmia, facing revolts all over the Empire while the Empire’s strongest vassals had asserted independence and it’s supremacy in the Black Sea was waning. This last point was particularly concerning as the Cossacks were raiding the Empire’s coastal areas with their weak boats while MoldÁvia and Polónia-Lituânia were trying to create war navies. When the Sfânt Iacob completed its maiden voyage, the Porte was scared senseless even when Cösem Sultã had improved the defences of many towns and cities including Constantinópla.

Meanwhile, Cösem Sultã and the Grão-Vizir Hafiz Amade Paxa [Hafiz Ahmed Pasha] were able to stabilize the economy of the Empire and control inflation by melting down much of the Porte’s gold and silver. The Janisários were paid with this money and kept under control though Murade IV, by no means a frightened individual by nature, was always waiting to end as his half-brother Osmão II had.

While the Eiálete of Tunis stayed loyal to the Sultan, the Janisários of the Eiálete of Egipto were gaining power and prevented a nominated Paxa from assuming power in 1626, preferring the previous one and forcing the new one to return to Constantinópla in shame. Despite this, they remained loyal to the Porte. The Regency of Arjel [Algiers] and the Eiálete of Tripolitânia, however, while still recognizing the Sultan’s ceremonial authority, refused to accept a nominated Paxa or Bei and instead elected their own, demanding that the Sultan recognize them.

Overall, the rebellions were quelled through multiple means: more autonomy as explained in Ottoman Africa, bribery, marriages with the Sultan’s half-sisters promoted by Cösem Sultã, outright battles as against Abaza Paxa who was defeated, pardoned and sent back to Erzurum from where he had come. Eventually, the Treaty of Mosul was signed in 1627 between the Empire and Pérsia, making Baguedade [Baghdad] and other eastern regions of the Empire fall to the hands of Pérsia but it brought the much-needed peace that allowed the Empire to finally heal.

Cösem Sultã paid a large role in achieving this peace though Murade was starting to dislike her policies and by 1627 he was openly going against her, trying to assert control of the Empire which he eventually got when he reached the age of majority on July 27, 1628. An aggressive and bellicose man, Murade wanted to reassert control over all the Eiáletes he still had in his control, recover his vassals, recover his lost territories and destroy his enemies: Pérsia, Espanha, Áustria, Polónia-Lituânia, Veneza and Portugal.

800px-IV._Murat.jpg
Murade IV in 1628​

I thought about what countries did I need to address and came to the conclusion that many had been addressed so much during the war Updates that there was no point in showing what was happening there. Thus, I ended up with these. Arguably, the Italian Peninsula was not necessary but I decided to put it and show the effects of the plague that are harsher than in OTL because they started earlier and the war has been more devastating. Some plot threads have been established here and there to show where this will go. Now only the King's death is missing. Thank you for sparing time reading and I hope everyone has a nice day and stays safe.

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor

The Italian Peninsula:
1625 marked the beginning of another grim period for the Italian Peninsula as the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse ravaged the once wealthiest part of Europe yet again. War once more brought its consequences as the Habsburgs fought against the Anti-Habsburg coalition to maintain their holdings and supremacy over the Peninsula. Only the Republic of Lucca, the Republic of San Marino and the Duchy of Massa and Carrara were fully outside of the conflict with the much larger states participating in different capacities.

The war brought the need to increase taxes with Spain and Savoy raising them the most followed by the Duchy of Mantua, especially after the war reached it in 1628. The increase in taxes decreased the people’s purchase power and made their lives much harder which in turn resulted in malnutrition exacerbated by the need to supply the armies. This made the population particularly susceptible to disease which came in the form of an outbreak of the Black Death brought from both France and Germany by the soldiers.

The plague was particularly deathly in the northern Italian Peninsula which was where the war was looming. The Duchy of Milan was the most affected region with nearly all its largest cities losing 80% of the population but every country to the north of the Po River outside of Genoa lost between 40% to 70%. This caused a dramatic demographic shift in the Peninsula which in 1632 when the plague stabilized had the following changes:

The wealthiest cities of Milan and Venice were now husks of their former glory, the latter still conserved an important economic, political and cultural role in the Peninsula but in the international trade, it was overshadowed by countries with Colonial Empires. The southern part of the Peninsula was the least affected area by the plague but the constant warfare did not allow the region to reach its full potential, instead, the economic, political and cultural center of the Italians was once more in the center.

The Papal States as the center of Catholicism held a considerable influence over not only the Peninsula and the Catholic world and long gone was its submission to Habsburg interests, facilitated by the rise of France and to a lesser extent Portugal and Tuscany. But in fact, it was this last country that was emerging as the regional power of the Peninsula, recovering the primacy it held in the times of Cosimo the Elder and Lorenzo the Magnificent thanks to its modern army and navy, diplomatic might, financial capabilities and emerging economy tied to the Portuguese and French Colonial Empires.

The smallest countries such as Parma, Modena and Mantua were the most affected, their small sizes made it impossible to stay unaffected by the geopolitical interests of the Habsburgs and their enemies and also made the impact of the plague much harsher. The Dukes wanted to stay away from the conflict but they didn’t have the capacity to oppose anyone.

Tuscany
Eleanor of Portugal was capable of capitalizing the war in Tuscany’s favor as already stated. With Piombino and the Presidio in her control, at least temporarily, she focused her efforts on fully revitalizing the economy, fighting the plague and unifying the laws, customs and taxes of the country. Like most Monarchs of her time, she worked hard to get the assemblies of Florence and Siena to get their taxes equal and started a new codification of laws based on the existing compilations but also on the Joanine Ordinances of her father in Portugal to integrate everything though she was stealthy about it and did not touch the historical institutions.

She had made some outlandish expenditures to get the territory expansions she carved but the state coffers were not depleted as Eleanor used the capital of the Medici Bank, more specifically the Roman branch, to cover the most pressing needs, thus she managed to make Tuscany the only country in the Peninsula that did not need to increase taxes to face the dire times, a winning strategy.

Her policy attracted emigrants from other parts of the Peninsula especially with the war raging, unfortunately, the plague demanded more draconian health measures that made it harder to enter the Grand Duchy and travel through it so the benefits were not seen before the end of the plague. The silk industry in Tuscany also saw a shy rebirth as competition from Milan and Venice suffered the worst consequences of everything and trade continued with foreign countries like Portugal, Spain and France.

Tragedy or perhaps the Appiani Curse hit the Medici on January 23, 1628, when Grand Duke Ferdinand II died of plague at just seventeen. He had been a bright young man much loved by the population of the Grand Duchy as he visited the sick often, to give them strength which is more than likely to have been the cause of his so early demise. Eleanor was heartbroken and had to be replaced by her brothers-in-law for a few weeks as she grieved. Reportedly she said once to the Portuguese Ambassador “My precious son had been preparing to make a tour around Europe and he was most excited to see our gorgeous Lisbon and God took him away so soon...my heart is broken...”

Ferdinand’s middle brother, Francesco Pietro, then 12 years old took the throne as Francis II. Unlike, his brother he was shier and weak-minded but he was a good warrior and determined to be a proper ruler and his mother assured him she would help him. His younger brother Giovanni Lorenzo, who at seven was hailed exceptionally bright was groomed to be his counselor and next head of the Medici Bank as Eleanor knew this would be a great combination that would avert the many errors their ancestors made.

Negotiations were made with Duke Francis II of Urbino to continue the betrothal between the Medici and young Victoria della Rovere, his granddaughter was also been educated by Eleanor. Perhaps out of pity and international pressure, the Duke agreed to pass Urbino to the Medici and Pope Clement IX relented and agreed provided the Medici kept the vassalage of Urbino to the Papacy and paid its dues.

Grand Duchess Eleanor chose to slowly shift her diplomatic policy from a Pro-Habsburg stance to a strictly neutral one. Tuscany was not immune to the xenophobic feeling that many Italians were having of foreign powers, one of the many intellectuals that Eleanor sponsored, Ottavio Bellegno published in 1628 a book called “The Need to Revive the Italic League” in which he called for the Italic League created in 1454 by the Papal States, Venice, Sforza Milan, Florence and Naples to keep the peace in the Italian Peninsula and keep the foreigners away to be revived after it’s collapse during the Italian War of 1494.

Bellegno argued that it was needed more than ever in the early 17th Century to prevent the devastation that was occurring and create a solid power block implicitly to oppose Habsburg and Bourbon interests. Thus, he argued that the alliance which he envisioned as a political, economic and military one should have Tuscany ruled by the Medici who were the guarantors of the previous Italic League to be the guarantors and enactors of the new Italic League which he hoped to also encompass the Papal States, Venice, Savoy, Genoa, Parma, Modena, Mantua and Lucca.

He claimed a joint navy between Venice, Genoa, Tuscany and the Papal States could match every opponent in the Mediterranean except for the Iberian navies and he claimed a joint army with Tuscany and Savoy as the pivots could match any other country that threaten the Peninsula.

Bellegno was not the only one that exalted Italian nationalism against the Bourbons and Habsburgs, Duke Charles Emmanuel I of Savoy also had plenty of admirers such as Alessandro Tassoni and Fulvio Testi as his very aggressive expansionism was praised and had ignited Italian nationalism and patriotism. One can conclude that there were three major contenders for the beacons of Italy nationalism, Savoy with its very aggressive land expansionism, Venice with its overseas empire and Tuscany with its banking power and diplomacy expansionism.

The ever-ambitious Eleanor of Portugal was happy to push the Medici to be beacons of Italian nationalism so she started to pursue a policy to revive the Italic League by agreeing to the betrothal of her eldest daughter Isabella Maria with Duke Edward I of Parma, which would align two of the most influential Italian families, the Medici and the Farnese. Since Edward and his mother Margherita Aldobrandini were seeking to forge alliances with the Este and Gonzaga, Eleanor used them to create a network of family ties that the Medici could lead as they were by far the strongest out of the four.

4c999e71c55002dde675051228b326f1.jpg

The Danube and the Black Sea
Transylvania:
In Transylvania, Stephen Bathory finally turned 16 on May 6, 1626, and was therefore considered of age to be elected Prince of Transylvania as agreed upon between the nobility. Despite this, some members of the Regency were reluctant to comply, namely Stephen Bethlen although when Prince Ferdinand and his uncle Leopold traveled for the ceremonies, the opposition backed down, fearing the return of the religious wars to the Principality.

Thus on May 25, 1626, the new Prince of Transylvania was crowned Stephen II and there were many hopes he would emulate the first Stephen who ended up as a very powerful Monarch. Young Stephen swore to be a loyal Christian and a loyal vassal of the King of Hungary, Emperor Ferdinand II, but also promised to fulfill the Edict of Torda of 1568, which guaranteed religious freedom in Transylvania, something that his cousin and uncle were not expecting.

Stephen II was a very pious Catholic but having witnessed what religious wars did to Hungary and beyond, he was committed to keeping the peace not only in Transylvania but in all of Hungary. He was thus the proper example of the policy of converting through reason and not with the sword as he refused to persecute heretics and tried to remain as impartial as he could. Very different in demeanor from his hated father, Stephen was quick to gain the support of the Transylvanians.

Stephen was also the heir of all Bathory branches which made him the most powerful man in all three Hungaries (Habsburg, Ottoman and Transylvania) in terms of wealth and power after his uncle. He invited his uncle Andrew Bathory who until then lived exiled in Poland-Lithuania to Transylvania and made him a decently powerful Boyar. His younger sister Maria Christine was adamant about becoming a nun and his Habsburg cousins wanted to make his brother Andrew Charles, the Cardinal of All Hungary so aside from his younger sister Elizabeth Magdalena, his already married uncle seemed like the only possibility to continue the Bathory line if Stephen died.

This compelled Stephen to find a wife. His mother and his uncle the Emperor wanted him to marry one of the latter’s daughters, either Maria Anna or Cecilia Renata who were around his age and there were a few other Catholic alternatives in Bavaria, Baden and Nassau but a Protestant faction led by Stephen Bethlen was pushing for a Protestant marriage of which one of the suggestions was Catherine of Brandenburg-Prussia, a sister to both the current Elector George William and the Queen of Sweden, Maria Eleanor.

The Prince put it on his head that Catherine was the perfect candidate because not only would it demonstrate he meant his promises to the Protestants but also that it would help his uncle the Emperor’s relationships with the Protestants in hopes that a lasting peace could be achieved in the Empire. His choice was heavily criticized by his Habsburg uncles and even his mother but there is private correspondence between Stephen and Prince Ferdinand that shows that the heir of the Imperial Possessions and Hungary endorsed the choice privately.

Stephen Bethlen was sent as Ambassador to Berlin where he negotiated the marriage. George William was at first very concerned, fearing reprisals from everyone as his holdings were either being occupied or used as pathways as if they weren’t his. He eventually conceded when he got guarantees that nothing would happen from the Emperor and a Calvinist proxy marriage in Berlin occurred on December 17, 1626, before a Catholic marriage took place on March 20, 1627, at Gyulafehérvár/Alba Iulia with the groom being 16 years old and the bride 21.

The marriage did not start well, however, Stephen fell in love at first sight with Catherine who was considered beautiful but she was quite haughty, expensive and flirtatious towards men, which left the somewhat socially awkward Prince worried especially when rumors spread around a possible adulterous case. With some work from his mother and sisters, who deeply disliked Catherine’s Calvinism, the relationship started to become smoother with the Princess falling pregnant to an unfortunate miscarriage on April 7, 1628, which ended up with Catherine converting to Catholicism thanks to the influence of the very pious Catholic court. Despite this, like her husband, she was a protector of Protestants and despite her flirtatious personality was very well-liked by the general population of the Principality.

The Jesuits who had entered Transylvania under George I Drugeth were succeeding in converting the Principality to Catholicism even though plenty of Hungarian Protestants left Royal Hungary for Transylvania. Early in his reign Stephen also tried to improve the lives of the Romanians but his success was limited because the Boyars were against losing their serfs.

All in all, Stephen II’s reign represented the start of prosperity in Transylvania. Despite the clear submission of the Principality to the Habsburgs, their overlords, they had plenty of autonomy and the interests of both were not all coincidental. Trade with the rest of Europe was encouraged and so was mining, while Alba Iulia became a cultural center with foreign musicians, painters, dancers and other artists invited to the Prince’s palace. Stephen spoke German, Hungarian, Latin and some say Castillian but he quickly became a promoter of Hungarian which started to have a Renaissance under his reign.

ca555dcb467a8e5303164766102305fd.jpg
lossy-page1-800px-Maria_Eleonora_av_Brandenburg%2C_g._Sverige_%28Henrik_M%C3%BCnnichhofen%29_-_Nationalmuseum_-_39001.tif.jpg

[QUOTE} Prince Stephen II of Transylvania and Catherine of Brandenburg-Prussia​

Wallachia and Moldavia
While Nicholas II of Wallachia caught gout just like his father-in-law Radu IX had, it was Radu X who died first January 13, 1626. Many of his loyal Boyars urged Nicholas to take full control over the country but he refused and honored the Commitment of Craiova by recognizing Radu’s eldest son, Alexander of fourteen, as Co-Prince Alexander III of Wallachia.

Fearing his death, Nicholas’s son Michael Draculesti was just five years old so it’s likely that he wanted Wallachia to have a grown Prince leading the country and Alexander filled that role. His death occurred on August 9, 1627, and Alexander immediately tried to go around the Commitment of Craiova by stating his cousin was too young to be elected Prince but the Boyars who favored Nicholas’ side of the family presented him with an ultimatum: either Alexander accepted Michael as Co-Prince or they would depose him. Alexander relented and recognized his seven-year-old cousin as Co-Prince Michael III.

Because of this, Alexander yielded most of the power and while he was a good warrior, he lived a lavish lifestyle and was not as capable of diplomacy as his father had been. He was also less inclined to support Greeks and Levantines but even that did not help him from inheriting the hate his father had incurred so he was forced to get someone to help and that someone was Constantin Serban, the bastard son of Radu IX. Constantin was young but was as capable as his father had been and was someone who the now deceased Nicholas II had relied on many times and so did his half-sister Anna Serban now that she had the Regency of her son. Alexander chose him because he trusted him.

Constantin assumed the position of “Prime Minister” becoming the true power behind the throne in Wallachia or as some call him the Third Prince. He kept the policies of his predecessors, keeping good relations with Moldavia, Poland-Lithuania, Transylvania, Austria and Portugal, reduced the taxes in Alexander’s part of the country and thus curbed the hatred towards him.

Alexander VI of Moldavia reduced the size of his army to save money but he had to keep a standing army to control the Nogais and Tatars. He also made a consortium with the Polish to create a joint Black Sea Navy and invited Portuguese, Spanish, Venetian and Greek shipbuilders, granting them many privileges including the right to erect Catholic churches, especially in the coast towns of Cetatea Alba and Chilia. The first galleon, Sfânt Iacob (Saint James) was completed in 1628 by these very same shipbuilders being the first of its kind on the Black Sea which was deeply concerning for the Ottomans who until then had full control of the Black Sea.

Perhaps the biggest impact of both Poland-Lithuania and Moldavia having access to the Black Sea was the missionary work, both Catholic and Orthodox, that started along the coast of the Black Sea more specifically to Circassia and Georgia where Islam was trying to encroach benefitting from decades of Christian decadence.

Wallachia and Moldavia reinforced their alliance with the betrothals and later marriages of both Alexander III and Michael III with Alexander VI’s nieces, the first married Simone Movilá and the latter Elisabeth Movilá while the heir of Moldavia, Constantin was promised to Ilinca Draculesti, the sister of Michael III. The two Danube Principalities entered an era of prosperity that would last for the next decades.

Crimea and the Ottoman Empire:
Following the Treaty of Vozai of 1624, Sahim I managed, despite his defeat, to consolidate his reign further. His aggressive treatment of the nobility made them very discontent and Khan Temir, equally discontent after Sahim had given his former territory to the Polish and Moldavians, joined forces with them in hopes to take the Khan down. While at first Temir had the upper hand, Sahim managed to get support from the Cossacks and Circassians and turned the tide around by defeating and killing Temir in a battle near the Ottoman fortress of Azov.

His victory granted Sahim absolute control of the Crimean Khanate with the nobility being subservient to him. This allowed him to promote some reforms, the most prominent of which was stripping the nobility from its hereditary fiefs, the Beys and Mirzas had to be appointed by the Khan himself akin to what the Ottoman Sultan did. Sahim preferred to nominate the old families to the positions they had been filling for decades to keep them loyal but some he had defeated lost all their power and holdings and everyone needed to understand that the Khan needed to be satisfied for them to retain their offices.

Another change Sahim promoted was to end the nomadic lifestyle of his people by promoting the settlement of the existing towns and creating new ones to boost commerce and practice agriculture. Sahim and his most loyal allies knew that the age of slave raiding was ending with not only the Commonwealth but also Russia and the Cossacks getting increasingly more powerful and difficult to raid. Sahim also wanted to be more than a puppet of the Ottoman Sultans and for this, he needed the support of the Polish and Cossacks.

In the Ottoman Empire, Sultan Murad IV was still a minor and his mother Kösem Sultan ruled as Regent. Her job was not easy as the Empire still did not recover from the various territorial losses brought about by the Treaty of Belgrade of 1620, was losing against the Persians in Mesopotamia, facing revolts all over the Empire while the Empire’s strongest vassals had asserted independence and it’s supremacy in the Black Sea was waning.

This last point was particularly concerning as the Cossacks were raiding the Empire’s coastal areas with their weak boats while Moldavia and Poland-Lithuania were trying to create war navies. When the Sfânt Iacob completed its maiden voyage, the Porte was scared senseless even when Kösem Sultan had improved the defenses of many towns and cities including Constantinople.

Meanwhile, Kösem Sultan and the Grand Vizier Hafiz Ahmed Pasha were able to stabilize the economy of the Empire and control inflation by melting down much of the Porte’s gold and silver. The Janissaries were paid with this money and kept under control though Murad IV, by no means a frightened individual by nature, was always waiting to end as his half-brother Osman II had.

While the Eyalet of Tunis stayed loyal to the Sultan, the Janissaries of the Eyalet of Egypt were gaining power and prevented a nominated Pasha from assuming power in 1626, preferring the previous one and forcing the new one to return to Constantinople in shame. Despite this, they remained loyal to the Porte. The Regency of Algiers and the Tripolitania Eyalet, however, while still recognizing the Sultan’s ceremonial authority, refused to accept a nominated Pasha or Bey and instead elected their own, demanding that the Sultan recognize them.

Overall, the rebellions were quelled through multiple means: more autonomy as explained in Ottoman Africa, bribery, marriages with the Sultan’s half-sisters promoted by Kösem Sultan, outright battles as against Abaza Pasha who was defeated, pardoned and sent back to Erzurum from where he had come. Eventually, the Treaty of Mosul was signed in 1627 between the Empire and Persia, making Baghdad and other eastern regions of the Empire fall to the hands of Persia but it brought the much-needed peace that allowed the Empire to finally heal.

Kösem Sultan paid a large role in achieving this peace though Murad was starting to dislike her policies and by 1627 he was openly going against her, trying to assert control of the Empire which he eventually got when he reached the age of majority on July 27, 1628. An aggressive and bellicose man, Murad wanted to reassert control over all the Eyalets he still had in his control, recover his vassals, recover his lost territories and destroy his enemies: Persia, Spain, Austria, Poland-Lithuania, Venice and Portugal.

800px-IV._Murat.jpg

I thought about what countries did I need to address and came to the conclusion that many had been addressed so much during the war Updates that there was no point in showing what was happening there. Thus, I ended up with these. Arguably, the Italian Peninsula was not necessary but I decided to put it and show the effects of the plague that are harsher than in OTL because they started earlier and the war has been more devastating. Some plot threads have been established here and there to show where this will go. Now only the King's death is missing. Thank you for sparing time reading and I hope everyone has a nice day and stays safe.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the recap. The Italian Peninsula situation and the Ottoman Empire are two most interesting because they have highest impact to the Portuguese.

In terms of Italian peninsula and the devastation there I wondered what if any Portugal could assist. Humanitarian, refugees? Or those things not within time frame. As for ottoman you wonder if it will implode or lead to resurgence. Could we see an Ottoman Empire being pushed out Africa and Arabia and become confined to Anatolia? If so who would take its place in those regions it left behind?

Great read..

Thanks for the recap. The Italian Peninsula situation and the Ottoman Empire are two most interesting because they have highest impact to the Portuguese.

In terms of Italian peninsula and the devastation there I wondered what if any Portugal could assist. Humanitarian, refugees? Or those things not within time frame.
The Portuguese would be smart to resettle Italian refugees in the colonies, particularly the Cape (similar climate and all).

Last edited:

In terms of Italian peninsula and the devastation there I wondered what if any Portugal could assist. Humanitarian, refugees? Or those things not within time frame. As for ottoman you wonder if it will implode or lead to resurgence. Could we see an Ottoman Empire being pushed out Africa and Arabia and become confined to Anatolia? If so who would take its place in those regions it left behind?

Great read..
The Portuguese would be smart to resettle Italian refugees in the colonies, particularly the Cape (similar climate and all).
Honestly, I'm not sure if the concept of humanitarian refugees existed at the time...I assume, taking the Irish Potato Famine as an example that anyone affected would be a normal emigrant looking for a better life. Italians are indeed migrating to the Portuguese Empire just in smaller quantities than the Portuguese themselves, they have been since the 15th Century and they keep increasing in number. Plenty of them settled in Portuguese North Africa as well, Ceuta, Tangier and Tetuan have decently large communities of Genoese and Tuscans but I think that most Italians would just go southwards in the Peninsula towards Tuscany and the Papal States as I stated, at least for the time being.

The Ottomans are surrounded by enemies, Europe hates them and wants to kick them away, Crimea wants to become its own thing, Russia is stabilizing, Safavid Persia under Abbas I is a formidable opponent, Ethiopia under Susenyos has kicked them from the Horn of Africa and Yemenites are trying to become independent and finally the Portuguese finally blocked their access to the Indian Ocean. But they are finally at peace and that will be a boon so who knows what will happen to them.

Thank you for the comments.

The King's Death: An Appraisal
The King's Death: An Appraisal
A Morte do Rei: Uma Apresiasão

Even before his marriage, Prince Filipe was a proficient spender, fond of parties and banquets but Henrieta seemed to have the same enjoyments hence why they were quick to warm to each other. Unfortunately, this left King João and Queen Izabel Clara deeply concerned with his finances and the Kingdom’s once Filipe took the throne. As Duke of Guimarães and Prince of the Algarves, Filipe was theoretically the richest man in the Kingdom after his father, surpassing the wealth of the Bragansas, however, his way of life eventually made his father appoint Jozé Luíz Sampaio, a New Christian who graduated from Coimbra and with excellent credentials in law to be his personal Financial Advisor. Henrieta and many saw it as an affront but not Philip who was quick to befriend the man and heed his advice.

Sampaio was able to keep Filipe and Henrieta from going bankrupt but by doing so he incurred the ire of the Princess because he managed to convince Filipe to send most of her entourage away to lower the expenses. Henrieta demanded that Sampaio be sent away but neither João IV nor Filipe wanted it which left her devastated. It wasn’t the only thorn in the relationship between the Prince and Princess because while Filipe stopped having mistresses after marrying, he still had four bastard children which he dotted on much to Henrieta’s dismay.

As she was not getting pregnant for a rather long time, rumours of infidelity between both spread and that the Princess was sterile, however, the memoirs of the future Duke of Bragansa and then Duke of Barselos, João Sebastião de Bragansa, state: “Filipe was told that Henrieta was too young to produce offspring and the risks of her dying were too many so while he consummated the marriage, he waited for her to turn eighteen so that he would not lose her because he was enamoured with her.” This is confirmed by the fact that on February 1628, when she was past the eighteen mark, she announced her first pregnancy much to everyone’s joy. João Sebastião said the following: “And Filipe was so overjoyed with the news that he wanted to organize feasts all over the Algarves though we all told him to calm down as we feared the expenses he would push forward. His Majesty, to soothe Filipe somehow, had him organize a feast in Lisboa for the birth of the child.”

He added the following: “However, by this time, King João showed signs of extreme fatigue and fever that the physicians were attributing it to the cold. At times he looked awful to glance but as always he kept ruling wisely and with his usual commitment, keeping the ambassadors at bay and focusing on what the country needed. By the end of April, he was invited by the Rector of the University, Dom Fransisco de Brito de Menezes to visit so they could work on new Statutes for the University and went there by horse. On the twenty-eight of that month, he surprised everyone by falling from the horse between Santarém and Torres Novas and when they reached his side, he was already by our Lord’s side. The Marquis of Torres Novas, Jorje de Lencastre held the Royal Progress in his palace at Torres Novas while the sons of the Count of Angra rode to inform Filipe and the Queen of the unfortunate news.”

It’s speculated that the King died from a stroke or like his namesake, João III from apoplexy at the age of 55, curiously the same age that João III died. Rumours went on about how the King was poisoned but such theories were deemed outlandish especially when so many supposed culprits were being pushed forward going from the Pope, to the Jews, to the King of Espanha or Fransa, Murade IV to a random beggar the King had given money at Santarém two days before he died. Queen Izabel Clara was inconsolable when she heard the news while her son, Filipe was caught off-guard during a hunting in the woods of the Palace of Castelo de Vide. The King’s body was brought to the Monastery of Jerónimos in Lisboa on May 16 where he was buried with most of his forefathers. Two days later, his son was crowned King Filipe I de Portugal in the Lisboa Cathedral.

João IV’s reign lasted for 32 years, almost 33 and it’s difficult to summarize in a few words but the consensus would say the most likely word would be “change”. João Duarte de Portugal inherited the many qualities of his progenitors: popularity, kindness, insight, the desire to improve the lives of his subjects, the desire to promote peace and the desire to make Portugal a strong country not dominated by any other. Starting in a very difficult period of his life where he lost his parents, sister and children while having to lead the country through war and face the pressures from Espanha, step by step, the King solved his personal and national problems, freeing himself from the growing influence of Espanha, maintaining a neutrality beneficial to Portugal, enriching the country with a sound and innovative economic policy and having the insight of what the world was becoming and how to carve Portugal’s place in it.

He strengthened the Army and Navy, paving the way to the First Golden Age of the Portuguese Armed Forces, to let everyone know that Portugal was not to be messed with despite its size. Despite the challenges, he was able to save the Empire from possible decay by adapting to the circumstances and promoting good relationships with the Mogol Empire, Pérsia, China, Japão, Etiópia, Congo, Marrocos and many others, making sure that he had the upper hand against his European rivals which unfortunately he did not fully acknowledge as a problem, making it the biggest flaw he left for his son to face.

His “Diplomatic Revolution” was another instance of his insight and served as a basis for all the countries in Europe and outside of it to follow with permanent representatives ready to defend their country’s interests. Not only did he strengthen the Portuguese-English Alliance, the oldest one still in force, but also arranged the four following oldest ones: with Etiópia, Toscânia, Polónia-Lituânia and the Danube Principalities. Though they were not the only ones. He is also one of the famous promoters of Ecumenism, being known to respect all religious beliefs as was possible during his time contributing with the Code of Malvana, a document of much importance for the future of the Empire and of the World. He improved the lives of the New Christians in Portugal and started the process known as the Returning of the Jews by allowing them to settle in the Estreito de Hércules [Straits of Hercules].

In his time, however, he was accused of being a heretic by Pope Inosénsio [Innocent X] being very close to being excommunicated, nowadays hailed as a Beato [Blessed] with many calling for him to be made a Saint for his promotion of respect for various beliefs, peace and his contribution for the expansion and maintenance of Catholicism in various parts of the globe notably Etiópia, Índia, Japão but also in many parts of Europe where it had all but disappeared. Such was the influence that his death was felt all over the world with many condolences coming from Espanha, Fransa, Provínsias Unidas [United Provinces], Inglaterra, Toscânia, Tidore, Pérsia, Congo, Etiópia, Mogol Empire among many others. His nickname “O Prudente”, the Prudent came from the fact that he built his legacy with prudence, refusing to fall into temptations of circumstance and getting himself and the country in tight spots.

735392afdde5b4693bed58736d75f76b.jpg
King João (IV) Duarte de Portugal, o Prudente [the Prudent]
7/06/1572-28/04/1628​

1)Prince Filipe Duarte of Portugal (1602-x) [Son]
2)Grand Duchess Leonor Izabel of Toscânia (1592-x) [Daughter]
3)Grand Duke Fransisco II of Toscânia (1615-x) [Grandson] [1]
4)Prince João Lourenso of Toscânia (1620-x) [Grandson] [2]
5)Princess Izabel Maria of Toscânia (1613-x) [Granddaughter] [2]
6)Princess Ana Catarina of Toscânia (1618-x) [Granddaughter] [2]
7)Queen Maria Catarina of Inglaterra-Escósia (1599-x) [Daughter]
8)Prince Carlos João of Inglaterra-Escósia (1627-x) [Grandson] [2] [3]
9)Duke Eduardo I of Parma (1612-x) [First Cousin Once Removed] [1]
10)Cardinal-Infante Fransisco Maria of Parma (1620-x) [First Cousin Once Removed] [2]

[1]
Foreign Ruler
[2] Foreigner
[3] Heretic
1)Duarte I de Guimarães, Duke of Guimarães (7/10/1515-20/09/1540) oo Izabel de Bragansa (1514-16/09/1576)
-2)Maria de Guimarães (12/08/1538-7/09/1577) oo Alexandre I de Parma, Duke of Parma (27/08/1545-3/12/1592) [HOUSE OF FARNESE]
-2)Catarina de Guimarães (18/01/1540-15/11/1614) oo João I de Bragansa, Duke of Bragansa (~1543-22/02/1583) [HOUSE OF BRAGANSA]
-2)Duarte II de Portugal (18/03/1541-16/06/1595)
oo Izabel Rómola da Toscânia (31/08/1542-4/01/1594)
--3)Miscarriage (5/02/1560)
--3)Miscarriage (11/03/1562)
--3)Stillborn Son (9/05/1565)
--3)Miscarriage (13/07/1568)
--3)Leonor Izabel de Portugal (4/04/1570-13/07/1591)
--3)João IV de Portugal (7/06/1572-28/04/1628) oo Izabel Clara de Espanha (12/08/1566-x)
---4)Leonor Izabel de Portugal (16/08/1592-x) oo Cosme II da Toscânia (12/05/1590-28/02/1621) [HOUSE OF MÉDISIS]
---4)Stillborn Son (19/08/1593)
---4)Miscarriage (12/06/1595)
---4)Duarte Filipe de Portugal (23/08/1597-28/12/1601)
---4)Maria Catarina de Portugal (10/05/1599-x) oo Carlos I da Inglaterra-Escósia (19/11/1600-x) [HOUSE OF ESTUARDO]
---4)Miscarriage (22/04/1601)
---4)Filipe I de Portugal (8/11/1602-x) oo Henrieta Maria da Fransa (25/11/1609-10/09/1669)
[Filipe I's Bastard Children with Ana Barboza]
----5)João Duarte de Aviz (9/03/1618-x)
----5)Stillborn Son (13/03/1620)
----5)Pedro Filipe de Aviz (11/04/1623-x)
----5)Filipa Izabel de Aviz (11/04/1623-x)
----5)Ana Izabel de Aviz (5/08/1625-x)

---4)Carlos Henrique de Portugal, Duke of Beja (29/12/1605-3/02/1608)
---4)Ana Micaela de Portugal (3/03/1607-8/03/1607)

[João IV's affair with Catarina I do Cândia [Kandy] (9/04/1578-x)
---4)João I do Cândia (7/07/1598-x)
[HOUSE OF CÂNDIA]
1)Fernando I da Toscânia (30/07/1549-3/02/1609) oo Cristina da Lorena (16/08/1565-x)
-2)Cosme II da Toscânia (12/05/1590-28/02/1621) oo Leonor Izabel de Portugal (16/08/1592-x)
--3)Miscarriage (21/06/1608)
--3)Miscarriage (11/08/1609)
--3)Fernando II da Toscânia (20/10/1610-23/01/1628)
--3)Miscarriage (3/08/1612)
--3)Izabel Maria da Toscânia (23/09/1613-x)
--3)Fransisco II da Toscânia(4/07/1615-x)
--3)Miscarriage (29/03/1617)
--3)Ana Catarina da Toscânia (24/06/1618-x)
--3)João Lourenso da Toscânia (8/04/1620-x)
-2)Leonor da Toscânia (10/11/1591-22/11/1617)
-2)Catarina da Toscânia (2/05/1593-x) oo Fernando I de Mântua (26/04/1587-29/10/1626)
-2)Fransisco da Toscânia (14/05/1594-17/05/1614)
-2)Carlos da Toscânia, Cardinal (19/03/1595-x)
-2)Filipe da Toscânia (9/04/1598-3/04/1602)
-2)Lourenso da Toscânia (20/07/1599-x)
-2)Maria Madalena da Toscânia (29/06/1600-x)
-2)Cláudia da Toscânia (4/06/1604-x) oo Frederico IV de Urbino (16/05/1605-28/06/1623) [HOUSE OF DELARROVERE]
oo Leopoldo V da Áustria-Anterior [Further Austria and Tyrol] (9/10/1586-13/09/1632) [HOUSE OF HABSBURGO (Tirol Branch)]
1)Jaime I da Inglaterra/VI da Escósia (19/06/1566-27/03/1625) oo Ana da Dinamarca-Noruega (12/12/1574-2/03/1619)
-2)Henrique Frederico da Inglaterra-Escósia (19/02/1594-6/11/1612)
-2)Izabel da Inglaterra-Escósia (19/08/1596-x) oo Frederico V do Palatinado-Eleitoral [Elector Palatine] (16/08/1596-x) [HOUSE OF VITELBAQUE (Main Electoral Branch)]
-2)Margarida da Escósia (24/12/1598-9/03/1600)
-2)Carlos I da Inglaterra-Escósia (19/11/1600-x) oo Maria Catarina de Portugal (10/05/1599-x)
--3)Carlos João da Inglaterra-Escósia (30/05/1627-x)
-2)Roberto Bruse da Escósia, Duke of Quintíre [Kintyre] and Lorne (18/01/1602-27/05/1602)
-2)Maria da Inglaterra-Escósia (8/04/1605-16/12/1607)
-2)Sofia da Inglaterra-Escósia (28/06/1607-30/06/1607)
1)Gabriel I da Transilvânia (15/08/1589-24/04/1617) oo Maria Madalena da Áustria-Interior [Inner Austria] (7/10/1589-x)
-2)Estêvão II da Transilvânia (6/05/1610-x) oo Catarina de Brandemburgo-Prúsia (28/05/1604-x)
-2)Maria Cristina da Transilvânia (7/10/1611-x)
-2)André Carlos da Transilvânia (13/08/1613-x)
-2)Izabel Madalena da Transilvânia (20/05/1615-x)
[Miguel II's Branch]
1)Miguel II da Valáquia (15/01/1558-9/08/1599) oo Constânsa/Stanca (?-17/05/1605)
-2)Florida/Florica da Valáquia (1585-x) oo Predu (?-?)
--3)Helena da Valáquia (17/08/1601-x)
--3)Miguel da Valáquia, Barão da Valáquia [Portuguese Title] (13/03/1603-x) [HOUSE OF DRÁCULA (Portuguese Branch)]
-2)Nicolau II da Valáquia (1586-9/08/1627)
oo Ana Xérbã [Anca Șherban](?-?)
--3)Gabriel da Valáquia (7/07/1618-4/03/1622)
--3)Miguel III da Valáquia (8/06/1620-x)
--3)Ilinca da Valáquia (16/03/1622-x)
[Radu X's Branch]
1)Radu X da Valáquia (1586-13/01/1626) oo Argira Mineti [Arghira Minetti] (?-?)
-2)Alexandre III da Valáquia (14/08/1611-x)
-2)Catarina da Valáquia (11/02/1613-x)
-2)Mineia da Valáquia (6/06/1615-x)
-2)Milica da Valáquia (21/04/1616-x)
-2)Vlade da Valáquia (1618-1619)

So after so long, two years I believe, I finally killed the man. It probably was anticlimactic given that he had a stroke but diabetes is no joke. Before I tackle Filipe's reign which I will divide into decades (so that I don't spend a year or so in dozens of wars...), I will fix some earlier chapters because I made a few plotholes here and there. I'm sure all of you saw the spoiler with the family trees which I will add more. I would appreciate some feedback on the TL's Portuguese Language. I know it looks cursed, I too find it like that because I learned it the way it is in OTL since a kid so Fransa or Séu look weird but I feel like the Portuguese would not be the same. I might put a poll to decide the way to go...this remains a small test. Anyway, I think that is all for now, thank you for the continuous support and I hope everyone has a nice day and stays safe.

Last edited:
Ngl it seems like Portuguese is being ""Castillianized"" with these changes (especially with the increase of z's and j's)

Sad to see him go but it will allow a hopefully better new generation to settle in
Great chapter and John IV truly earned his epithet!
He did try to be prudent in addressing the many situations the country faced. There will be new players appearing in Portuguese politics but not all of them will be better than the old generation...
Ngl it seems like Portuguese is being ""Castillianized"" with these changes (especially with the increase of z's and j's)
It was mentioned that Portugal has been getting an increase in Castilian and Galician Spanish immigrants.
I don't think the language was "Castillianized", it become more phonetic meaning that the grapheme/letter corresponds to the phoneme/sound it is meant to. It's not different from the 1911 Orthography Reform (where things like ph, th, rh, sc, ch (/k/) were replaced by f, t, r, c) and the letters z and j do not have the same phoneme as Castillian or Galician they have the same phoneme as in OTL. Some of these "changes" existed in OTL before being reformed such as Português being written Portuguez well into the 19th Century.

Lusitania

Donor
Great update. Fitting elegy.

In future there may be additional retrospective posts about what his reign meant for the country.

As for corrections made in previous post may I recommend you post new post referencing updated previous posts

Understandable. But hopefully the House of Aviz will endure.
They have everything to endure. Henrieta of France had quite a lot of children OTL and Filipe I already has four bastards.
Great update. Fitting elegy.

In future there may be additional retrospective posts about what his reign meant for the country.

As for corrections made in previous post may I recommend you post new post referencing updated previous posts
I tried to make a retrospective that came from a historian that thinks the reader knows enough about the King to not need to be excessively detailed. This allowed me to give some more information on how he is seen in 2023 in this TL's world but not much and I do intend to make something like this for every Portuguese Monarch and perhaps some of the important non-Monarchs I have in mind.

I shall make a post once everything is updated. Most of it will probably be changing the names to Portuguese though the Middle East and North Africa will probably have more changes, potentially, I might try to condensate the war posts before 1625 (the Ottoman Intervention and the First Phase of the War) into fewer posts (from 5 or 6 to 4) but I will see where that goes as my capacity to summarize things was always awful.

They have everything to endure. Henrieta of France had quite a lot of children OTL and Filipe I already has four bastards.

I tried to make a retrospective that came from a historian that thinks the reader knows enough about the King to not need to be excessively detailed. This allowed me to give some more information on how he is seen in 2023 in this TL's world but not much and I do intend to make something like this for every Portuguese Monarch and perhaps some of the important non-Monarchs I have in mind.

I shall make a post once everything is updated. Most of it will probably be changing the names to Portuguese though the Middle East and North Africa will probably have more changes, potentially, I might try to condensate the war posts before 1625 (the Ottoman Intervention and the First Phase of the War) into fewer posts (from 5 or 6 to 4) but I will see where that goes as my capacity to summarize things was always awful.
What about Japan, shouldnt Portuguese Merchants and Explorers, try to explore more land maybe up North??? I think they shouldve had known about Shaklin by now, I think Shaklin would be a good land for fishers and whalers to settle,as Shaklin producues alot of fish that sailors would like to supply, also it would be a good and great location for the Portuguese to boost up their trade in East Asia, a Portuguese Shaklin could be possible dont you think?

Last edited:
What about Japan, shouldnt Portuguese Merchants and Explorers, try to explore more land maybe up North??? I think they shouldve had known about Shaklin by now, I think Shaklin would be a good land for fishers and whalers to settle,as Shaklin producues alot of fish that sailors would like to supply, also it would be a good and great location for the Portuguese to boost up their trade in East Asia, a Portuguese Shaklin could be possible dont you think?
I admit I forgot about Sakhalin, usually, I leave it for the Japanese but it's an interesting idea, I need to see the viability of it though, I'm not sure if it would be economically profitable and given how far away it is from Goa and Malaca (I'm not even talking about Lisboa) I don't think there will be many people interested in colonizing it but then again a port might be feasible...I will see about it when I get to Japan again. Thank you for the suggestion.

I admit I forgot about Sakhalin, usually, I leave it for the Japanese but it's an interesting idea, I need to see the viability of it though, I'm not sure if it would be economically profitable and given how far away it is from Goa and Malaca (I'm not even talking about Lisboa) I don't think there will be many people interested in colonizing it but then again a port might be feasible...I will see about it when I get to Japan again. Thank you for the suggestion.
Thanks! no problem at all, and when are you going to continue on this tl, it seems very interesting! :)

Thanks! no problem at all, and when are you going to continue on this tl, it seems very interesting! :)
I don't know when...I'm hoping before the end of the year. I have one chapter concerning the first year of Filipe I's reign mostly done but I wanted to have everything or at least half of the chapters improved.