The eagle's left head

Part 66
Cesena, September 1357

The city fell to the papal army under cardinal Gil de Albornoz. The city, defended by Marzia de li Ubaldini the wife of Francesco II Orledaffi lord of Forli had held out for months before being forced to surrender. It might had fallen earlier if the 4,000 men strong army sent by Louis of Hungary, initially intended to reinforce the papal forces had actually done so. But Louis had received news that Louis of Taranto had actually regained a number of castles from his viceroy the previous year and thus had diverted the Hungarian expeditionary force against the Neapolitans instead.

Adrianople, April 1358

Matthew Kantakouzenos marched south to deal with the continuing raiding of Suleiman pasha. It wouldn't go well as his army was surprised and destroyed by Suleiman with Matthew killed on the battlefield. Ottoman raiders would reach all the way to Adrianople following the battle but fail to capture the strongly fortified city itself. But the Byzantines seemed incapable of holding back the Ottomans, the Serbs despite proclamations by Dusan that he was going to campaign against the Serbs were instead focused on the continuing war with Hungary, now entering its third year and the Sicilians between war exhaustion and the diplomatic scuffle between Alexandros II and Ioannis V that had led to the proclamation of Alexandros as basileus were not showing of any signs of being interested of going to war with the Ottomans in support of the empire limiting themselves to vigorously suppressing piracy in the Aegean...

France, July 1358

French oble forces under Charles II of Navarre, the brother of Agnes crushed the peasant rebellion that had errupted in the aftermath of the French defeat at Poitiers. Charles and Alexandros had never met in person with their contacts limited to letters exchanged between the two courts and a trade expedition organized by Messinese and Monemvasiot merchants to Flanders, with the support of the crown using the ports of Navarre. The expedition had proven rather profitable. That news of it had not been taken all that well by either Venetian or Genoese merchant circles was something of an ubderstandment of course.

Epirus, September 1358

Nikephoros II Orsini, had taken his chances with the continuing Serb-Hungarian war and invited by Epirote nobles had landed at the head of a small band of Turkish mercenaries to try to force out the Serbs. His campaign had started out well with Arta throwing its gates open to him. But things had gone downhill from there. The bulk of the Serb army might have been tied down fighting the Hungarians, but the local garrisons reinforced by Albanian mercenaries had proven too much for him. Nikephoros had been killed in battle near Ioannina and the Serbs had recovered all lost castles.

Thrace, October 1358

Didymoteichon fell to an Ottoman army under Lala Sahin pasha. By now the Ottomans were in control of a large swathe of Thrace and were not showing any signs of slowing down. A proposed armistice and marriage of Orhan's son Halil with Ioannis V daughter had been refused outright by the Ottoman sultan.

Syracuse, December 1358

The fourth daughter of Alexandros II and Agnes was baptized Maria after Alexandros paternal grandmother in the cathedral of Syracuse on Christmas eve. The now royal or imperial couple, basileus could translate in both ways in Latin and Alexandros II was very careful to point in his letters to both king Louis of Hungary and the pope that he was not laying claim to the title of king of Sicily and his was a different one, was not showing any sign of slowing down in the child making department. But a son still eluded them...

South Italy, April 1359

Two years of energetic campaigning by the reinforced Hungarian army had pushed the Neapolitans back to their strongholds on the western coast provinces of the regno. Now the reinforcements sent over by Louis of Hungary were gone but the situation wasn't any less dire for Joanna and her husband who could barely field 5,500 men for this year's campaign being outnumbered by the joint forces of Hungary and the lord of Abruzzo.

Mykonos, June 1359

Turkish piracy in the Aegean had waned in the aftermath of the Aydinid naval defeats the previous decade but it was increasing again as the maritime emirates in the Anatolian coast were gradually recovering. But large Turkish raiding fleets would inevitably draw Christian reaction as well and the Sicilians were ever vigilant to the threat attacking a large Tukish raiding fleet and destroying 35 ships outside Mykonos...

Adrianople, August 1359

The strongly fortified city fell to the Ottoman army of Suleiman pasha. This was something of a shock to Dusan who could not deal with the Ottomans while still having to fight the Hungarians. Peace feelers would be sent to the Hungarian court in a much more serious manner...

Cyprus, October 1359

Peter I succeeded Hugh IV as king of Cyprus. Unlike his father Peter was showing great zest over the crusading idea and defending Christedom against infidels and schismatics alike. And egged on by Roger de Pins, the grand master of the knights of St John who had settled back to Cyprus after the loss of Rhodes and Manuel Kantakouzenos, Peter also had a particularly dim view of the House pf Lascaris-Vatatzes...

Skopje, December 1359

Peace had finally been signed between signed between Hungary and Serbia and Stefan Dusan could now turn his effort east declaring he was going to drive the Ottomans out of Europe. He would do nothing of the short as he would suddenly die in his court two days before Christmas. He would be succeeded to the Serb throne by his son Stefan Uros V but the new king would prove incapable of controlling the nobles, already disgruntled by the costly unprofitable wars against the Sicilians and the Hungarians, in the way his father did. The Serb empire would immediately start splintering in all but name.

Syracuse, March 1360

Demetrios Kydones joined the university faculty. If Kydones, a former mesazon under emperor Ioannis VI Kantakouzenos had hoped for more he would be deeply disappointed. Alexandros II might might appreciate his education and the anti-hesychast position of Demetrios brother Prochoros, the Hesychast controversy was still raging with support of the Palamists and the Baarlamists often enough a sign of political support of House Palaiologos or House Lascaris-Vatatzes by now, but he was not going to trust a former Kantakouzenist high official in the administration of Sicily. Particularly one that had been vocally against the commune of Thessaloniki that now was a loyal and important part of his realm...

Epirus, June 1360

It had taken just months and the Serb nobles were already at each others throats with Radoslav Hlapen the governor of Edessa invading Epirus held by Simeon Uros Palaiologos the half brother of Stefan Dusan. Further north in Albania Karl Thopia had seized control of Durazzo and proclaimed himself independent from the Serb emperor.

Epirus, June 1360

It had taken just months and the Serb nobles were already at each others throats with Radoslav Hlapen the governor of Edessa invading Epirus held by Simeon Uros Palaiologos the half brother of Stefan Dusan. Further north in Albania Karl Thopia had seized control of Durazzo and proclaimed himself independent from the Serb emperor.
Stefan Dusan set up a stable succession challenge (impossible).

It sure sounds like the Lascarids aren't getting a long enough peace to refill their coffers, and while they might have opportunity knocking in the Southern portion of the Serbian Empire and in Cyprus... It will also be a race against the clock against the expansion of the Ottobois.

It sure sounds like the Lascarids aren't getting a long enough peace to refill their coffers, and while they might have opportunity knocking in the Southern portion of the Serbian Empire and in Cyprus... It will also be a race against the clock against the expansion of the Ottobois.
I defo see either the Lascarids staying a Sicily-Balkans state with the ottomans bearing down on them (at least until they start to weaken) or the Ottomans get locked in Anatolia.

The second option's a lot better if only bc the Lascarids could access the black sea trade routes.

So Adrianople has fallen 3 years earlier than IOTL or 10 years according to some other sources. That is grave news, the ERE mignt not even last until 1453 (unless a certain young ruler from the West, with a glorious name, manages to do something about that.)
It remains to be seen if the Cyprus threat is very substantial (although Peter I of Cyprus was a quite capable king).

Last edited:
Skopje, December 1359

Peace had finally been signed between signed between Hungary and Serbia and Stefan Dusan could now turn his effort east declaring he was going to drive the Ottomans out of Europe. He would do nothing of the short as he would suddenly die in his court two days before Christmas
Αh man! For once I was rooting for Dusan and he dies! What is this? Game of Thrones? This now leaves the Ottoman situation very much OTL. I doubt Constantinople is in danger though. The Theodosian walls can stand as long as the Ottomans don't have a navy.

Now though, is this going to be a race between the Turks and the Lascarids for the Balkans? Or the western Basileus will hold till he gets enough money on the treasury?

Not necessarily.
Dusan's death removes the Serbs from the list of immediate threats. The disunited Serbs will never be able to muster the same numbers as Dusan did.
The Ottomans still don't have a common border with the Lascarids (the Serbs are doing a good buffer for the time being).
Then, except for their slice of southern Italy, the Hungarians don't have a border with the Lascarids either.
Angevin Naples can only field about five thousand soldiers, while Theodore did bring about five times that number against the Serbs in his last campaign.
As for Cyprus... If they go alone against the Lascarids, their fleet is going to end on the sea floor. Even with Venetian help, that would difficult. It would require an Aragonese involvement as well. Otherwise Cyprus will quickly add to the list of Lascarid conquests

I would guess that the next chance for an eventual clash between the Ottomans and the Lascarids 'd be either when another Byzantine civil war 'd happen. Or, perhaps, but less likely, if some Serbian faction/War Lord, would ask/negotiate either the help of the Ottomans or from their southern neighbors against each other...
But, if not and barring any eventual intervention from some extra regional actor like Peter of Cyprus...
Then, I'suppose that if not butterflied that the events that OTL leaded to the Serbians and Bulgarians underVukashin and Uglesha, being defeated at Chernomen/Maritza. It would probably be the next chance that the Sicilians would clash with the Ottoman Sultan forces.
Cyprus, October 1359
Well, I have the impression that TTL, he might be persuaded to attack Thrace in place or besides from his attacks to Anatolia or raid Alexandra and todays Syria and Lebanon... Or that if somewhat were to be suggested to ally/collaborate with the Vatastez, Peter, would reject it...
Finally, I wonder if would be some chance, that Alexandros, would be interested. And/or how probably would be that he would get an invitation (even if as 'observer')to the 1364 Central Europe kings meeting. The so called 'Congress of Krakow,' that among other things, purposely, had as goal to decide as to deal with the Ottomans...

Two years of energetic campaigning by the reinforced Hungarian army had pushed the Neapolitans back to their strongholds on the western coast provinces of the regno. Now the reinforcements sent over by Louis of Hungary were gone but the situation wasn't any less dire for Joanna and her husband who could barely field 5,500 men for this year's campaign being outnumbered by the joint forces of Hungary and the lord of Abruzzo.

The remaining angevin lands have been heavily contested by Angevins and Hungarians for .... 10 years now. And right before it the Black Death arrived. With armies devastating the region, the plague flare-ups must have been horrendous. I bet that the demographic impact is similar to that of Mecklenburg, Pomerania or Palatinate in the 30 Years War. That would mean a population contraction of more than 50%, more likely 70% at the more heavily contested places. At the same time Abruzzo seems to have been spared the worst of it. By the end of the war, Naples won't be able to wage war for a generation. But considering Louis and Joanna are idiots, I wouldn't bet on it.

Peter I succeeded Hugh IV as king of Cyprus. Unlike his father Peter was showing great zest over the crusading idea and defending Christedom against infidels and schismatics alike. And egged on by Roger de Pins, the grand master of the knights of St John who had settled back to Cyprus after the loss of Rhodes and Manuel Kantakouzenos, Peter also had a particularly dim view of the House pf Lascaris-Vatatzes...
Early modern mathematics were not very developed, but I think Peter might get to discover the "^&% around and find out" chart a few centuries early.

The strongly fortified city fell to the Ottoman army of Suleiman pasha.
Considering we are at 1360 and the last mention of Suleiman is the above, is it fair to assume that he didn't have a hunting accident - so far at least ?

Dusan's death removes the Serbs from the list of immediate threats. The disunited Serbs will never be able to muster the same numbers as Dusan did.
And Lajos is free to march west to Veneto.

But, if not and barring any eventual intervention from some extra regional actor like Peter of Cyprus...
Something tells me that the new massive fortifications of Piraeus will be tested.

This now leaves the Ottoman situation very much OTL
The major butterfly is Suleiman being alive for the time being. When Orhan dies, will Murad be content with a governorship? After all, he is the one who started the tradition of a sultan murdering his brothers. That was a major departure from what was taking place until then. It shows a man who is ambitious and ruthless. That's why I think we might get an ottoman civil war first.

I´m not sure if this gaining a short term benefit is a good thing, when you forget the bigger picture. In the OTL Cyprus ultimately fell to Venice, it being the closest christian power nearby. Here, the LD hasn´t yet retaken yet, but a stronger Cyprus under the Kantakuzenos might prove a headache later on.

I´m not sure if this gaining a short term benefit is a good thing, when you forget the bigger picture. In the OTL Cyprus ultimately fell to Venice, it being the closest christian power nearby. Here, the LD hasn´t yet retaken yet, but a stronger Cyprus under the Kantakuzenos might prove a headache later on.
I'm not seeing how the Kantakuzenos have the capability of conquering Cyprus.

Not sure Navarre still had a port after Richard the Lionheart gave the Gulf of Biscay to Castile after a territorial dispute arbitration between Castile and Navarre. Is this one of Charles’ fiefs in France instead?

It had taken just months and the Serb nobles were already at each others throats with Radoslav Hlapen the governor of Edessa invading Epirus held by Simeon Uros Palaiologos the half brother of Stefan Dusan.

I would guess that when the Sicilians captured Corfu, they captured the angevin outposts in the mainland: Igoumenitsa, Syvota, Sagiada and Bouthroton. I think these are indications that the Angevins controlled coastal Thesprotia and had a complete dominion over the Corfu Channel.

Further north in Albania Karl Thopia had seized control of Durazzo and proclaimed himself independent from the Serb emperor.
I think Durazzo would make a natural target for Alexandros, as it was for the Angevins, the Normans and every power that controlled Apulia and had ambitions on the other side of the Adriatic. However such move would be more than alarming for Venice.

Not sure Navarre still had a port after Richard the Lionheart gave the Gulf of Biscay to Castile after a territorial dispute arbitration between Castile and Navarre. Is this one of Charles’ fiefs in France instead?
Navarre had San Sebastian, even though it didn't connect with the rest of its territory.

Having said that, it would make sense that the Castilians would allow the Sicilians in their atlantic ports. After all, Aragon is a common rival to both realms, while Sicily should be an important trade partner with Castile.

As noted Alexandros II had his own reasons to want to grab Lesbos...
By the way, it seems that Genoa had accumulated a huge debt following the war with Venice. In the following years they had to depend on forced loans with high interest (10%). Usually the range of the interest was 8-10%, so post-war it was at the higher end. At the same time, they don't have Chios and they don't have access to Lesvos' alum. It would make sense that Genoa's income would be lower than in OTL.

That's why I think that Alexandros has some more leverage in his dealings with the Genoese. They need him to repay the loans but they cannot realistically force him. Alexandros has Lesvos for 4 years now, Italy is peaceful for 6 full years and Greece for another 4. If Syracuse asked Genoa to accelerate the loan payments in exchange of writing off a percentage of the interest, then Genoa would have the incentive to accept. Better to write off e.g. 1% of the interest than enact the very unpopular (as it was proven in OTL) measure of forced loans from its citizens.

By this point, Alexandros may very well have dramatically reduced his debt. However, if he wants to quickly reduce his exposure to Genoan bankers, he would have to float bonds to be bought by his subjects. In addition to financing the previous long war, the Sicilian burghers have an even greater motive to establish something similar to the Bank of Saint George. If that takes place, then it will provide much cheaper capital. If memory serves right, in Genoa the interest fell from 8-10% to 7%. Over time, it compounds to huge sums of money saved.

I would guess that when the Sicilians captured Corfu, they captured the angevin outposts in the mainland: Igoumenitsa, Syvota, Sagiada and Bouthroton. I think these are indications that the Angevins controlled coastal Thesprotia and had a complete dominion over the Corfu Channel.
Ι doubt Dusan would leave those easy, well compared to Durres/Dyracheion, to get positions from an obviously preoccupied target. Now that we are talking about them though I wonder what is going on with Porto Palermo? I think it was already constructed but I might be wrong.

I think Durazzo would make a natural target for Alexandros, as it was for the Angevins, the Normans and every power that controlled Apulia and had ambitions on the other side of the Adriatic. However such move would be more than alarming for Venice.
I really hope the western Basileus won't get involved in the Albanian situation heavily. In my opinion an alliance/ protection against the Serbs and the Venetians so that he has access to cheap and capable Albanian merceneries. If he makes the Albanians his enemies then he just creates another hostile neighbor when he could have an ally.

More alarming than 'this'?

'Syracuse, June 5th, 1357

Alexandros II despot of Sicily and Hellas had initially been taken aback from the news from Constantinople. From the reports he had received Leo Kalothetos had behaved... less than diplomatically. But this didn't mean he could afford the joke playing at being basileus of the Romans treating his envoys this way or thinking he could give him orders. After all his grandfather had more rights to the purple. He and his father had not pursued them for the good of the empire and that what he what his family was getting in return? Something had to be done and this properly viewed was as much an opportunity as a problem. He would not claim the purple outright, his mother was right to advise this was liable to cause more trouble than it was worth at the moment. Taking a page from Stefan Dusan, instead Alexandros was crowned on the day of the pentecost basileus of Sicily and Hellas by the archbishop of Syracuse, with the imperial crown jewels pawned by Anna of Savoy to Alexandros uncle, used for the coronation..."

Considering the territory in the Aegean, this one is a pretty telling sign for the Venetians

The big divergence, as far as it concerns Cyprus ITTL, is that the Venetians are not the only interested party around. With the Hospitalers having lost Rhodes, and Manuel Kantakouzenos exiling himself there, you have a further two powerful factions jockeying for influence at Peter I's court. And I doubt either of these two are remotely interested in seeing the Venetians gaining the upper hand.

If Manuel is ambitious enough, and has brought with him enough ships and gold in his escape from Lesvos, I'd not be surprised if he made a try at claiming the throne of Cyprus based on his wife's rights while Peter is away in Europe, or at least, become regent for Peter II instead of Prince John, and ultimately, marry off Peter I's daughter Margaret to one of Matthew's sons, so the throne would pass onto their descendents, or try to make it so.

I suspect that depends quite a bit on Venice by now. Venice has had 6 years so far to start recovering from the war with Genoa and the Black Death. Someone on the council of ten will be starting to remember this worrisome Lascarids now that it's catching its breath. Of course Venice also has reason to worry about Hungary but Hungary seems to be too friendly for comfort with Sicily...
So Adrianople has fallen 3 years earlier than IOTL or 10 years according to some other sources. That is grave news, the ERE mignt not even last until 1453 (unless a certain young ruler from the West, with a glorious name, manages to do something about that.)
It remains to be seen if the Cyprus threat is very substantial (although Peter I of Cyprus was a quite capable king).
Halil failed to be captured by Leo Kalothetos, hence there was no truce between the Byzantines and the Ottomans very much unlike OTL. Cyprus... Peter was an undoubtedly capable man doing things that from our perspective were... crazy like his attack on Alexandria.
Αh man! For once I was rooting for Dusan and he dies! What is this? Game of Thrones?
Can't trust this damn Serb to do something useful. :openedeyewink:
Not necessarily.
The Ottomans still don't have a common border with the Lascarids (the Serbs are doing a good buffer for the time being).
Then, except for their slice of southern Italy, the Hungarians don't have a border with the Lascarids either.
Angevin Naples can only field about five thousand soldiers, while Theodore did bring about five times that number against the Serbs in his last campaign.
By mobilizing both Greece and Italy, plus mercenaries. But still with the regno split in three it is not a danger. If someone managed to unite and centralize it... then things get much different.
As for Cyprus... If they go alone against the Lascarids, their fleet is going to end on the sea floor. Even with Venetian help, that would difficult. It would require an Aragonese involvement as well. Otherwise Cyprus will quickly add to the list of Lascarid conquests
Well speaking about this Peter led a fleet of 165 ships in Alexandria including 31 war galleys with 10,000 men and 1,400 knights. This was a very substantial fleet and army... particularly in view of the population of Cyprus which was 168,000 people in 1489 and 217,000 in 1540 thus likely quite a bit lower in 1365 with the plague still not quite ended. I do wonder what that fleet composition was since I very much doubt all 31 galleys came from Cyprus.
I would guess that the next chance for an eventual clash between the Ottomans and the Lascarids 'd be either when another Byzantine civil war 'd happen. Or, perhaps, but less likely, if some Serbian faction/War Lord, would ask/negotiate either the help of the Ottomans or from their southern neighbors against each other...
Peter is interesting to the extend he depends on the papacy, still not really happy with Sicily, and is burdened with the Hospitallers which he has good reason not to want meddling in his kingdom. How that turns out depends on more than Peter though.

The remaining angevin lands have been heavily contested by Angevins and Hungarians for .... 10 years now. And right before it the Black Death arrived. With armies devastating the region, the plague flare-ups must have been horrendous. I bet that the demographic impact is similar to that of Mecklenburg, Pomerania or Palatinate in the 30 Years War. That would mean a population contraction of more than 50%, more likely 70% at the more heavily contested places. At the same time Abruzzo seems to have been spared the worst of it. By the end of the war, Naples won't be able to wage war for a generation. But considering Louis and Joanna are idiots, I wouldn't bet on it.
For comparisons shake in OTL the population of the regno went down from 1.989 million to 1.1 million. If you subtract the areas grabbed liberated by the Sicilians we go from 1.003 million down to 670,395.

Early modern mathematics were not very developed, but I think Peter might get to discover the "^&% around and find out" chart a few centuries early.
The man thought in a good idea to invade Egypt... captured Alexandria too and got away with it.
Considering we are at 1360 and the last mention of Suleiman is the above, is it fair to assume that he didn't have a hunting accident - so far at least ?
He has not. So you have Suleiman, Murad and Halil around...
And Lajos is free to march west to Veneto.
Louis also had a costly war with Serbia on top of having to fight the Lithuanians. Starting a war with Venice right away seems... rash.

Ultimately is in 1489 ie 130 years down the road...
Not by force of arms. By coup though? In OTL Peter got assassinated by his barons who promptly ended in a civil war. TTL all other things being the same you'd also have Manuel and the Hospitallers complicating things...
Pretty sure both those are Venetian
So they are...
San Sebastian IMS...
But why controlling both sides of the Adriatic, plus Corfu would be cause for alarm... :angel:
Having said that, it would make sense that the Castilians would allow the Sicilians in their atlantic ports. After all, Aragon is a common rival to both realms, while Sicily should be an important trade partner with Castile.
Castille is in the middle of the war of the two Peters. And Alexandros brother in law is trying to play both sides...
By the way, it seems that Genoa had accumulated a huge debt following the war with Venice. In the following years they had to depend on forced loans with high interest (10%). Usually the range of the interest was 8-10%, so post-war it was at the higher end. At the same time, they don't have Chios and they don't have access to Lesvos' alum. It would make sense that Genoa's income would be lower than in OTL.
Not quite certain on that given both Chios and Lesbos were semi-independent from Genoa proper so shouldn't be directly adding to Genoese state revenues.
By this point, Alexandros may very well have dramatically reduced his debt. However, if he wants to quickly reduce his exposure to Genoan bankers, he would have to float bonds to be bought by his subjects. In addition to financing the previous long war, the Sicilian burghers have an even greater motive to establish something similar to the Bank of Saint George. If that takes place, then it will provide much cheaper capital. If memory serves right, in Genoa the interest fell from 8-10% to 7%. Over time, it compounds to huge sums of money saved.
The bank of Saint George was created in 1407 half a century down the line. It had been preceded by Barcelona's Taula de Canci just in 1401. Now granted the idea was first aired in Venice in 1356... but without taking place, oddly the Venetians did not establish a central bank till 1619. Now you can argue that what eventually became Banco di Napoli start life in 1463 but was definitely not a central bank at the time...

More alarming than 'this'?

Considering the territory in the Aegean, this one is a pretty telling sign for the Venetians
Someone may want to argua that title are thin air but then my republicanism is talking...
The big divergence, as far as it concerns Cyprus ITTL, is that the Venetians are not the only interested party around. With the Hospitalers having lost Rhodes, and Manuel Kantakouzenos exiling himself there, you have a further two powerful factions jockeying for influence at Peter I's court. And I doubt either of these two are remotely interested in seeing the Venetians gaining the upper hand.
And someone should not forget the Genoese given their OTL role...