The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

@Sorairo Superb final chapter there- The Roman Alliance splitting and reforming, the Middle East making the half-assed attempted at democracy that feels somehow right for a region run by strong men. Rhodesia surprised me, I thought there might be one last bloodletting there, but Smith proved smarter than I thought you’d let him be. Guess it’s South Africa that’s going to unleash the forces of hell. Let’s hope it does not involve mushroom clouds.

Mussolini the man will be forever debated ITTL, but like him or not, you cannot say he did not leave an impact, and that Is his legacy, like yours with this timeline.

Thank you.

What an amazing end to what's been a fabulous timeline @Sorairo. Thank you for your hard work and dedication in writing this timeline.

I'm wondering if there's any sentiment in Rhodesia to leave the Community of Independent States now that they've been recognized by ITO members. The strong English background and heritage in the country likely has many pointing towards reforming relations with the mother country.

On another note how developed is Africa ITTL, it seems that the horrors of fascism has brought increased investment and attention to the continent compared to OTL.

Last edited:
@Sorario it is a bit late, but i must admit i loved this timeline.
It was extremly original and i loved your writing style

This timeline has been a whirlwind. What made it stand out is that you wrote each historical figure like a literary character you could relate to. If this ever became a book, I’d buy it just to have a physical copy. And that final paragraph was the most satisfying of endings. Excellent work.

A Footprint if you will.

Hell with how much he's shaped the modern world here I would not be surprised if Musso became TTL's Person of the Century.

At least Mussolini is going to be one of most influent 20th century politicians. Many hadn't such impact to history as Mussolini. Perhaps Lenin was aonly more influent politician in 20th century. I wouldn't be surprised if Italians would vote Mussolini as greatest Italian or at least he would be one of greatest Italians.

No matter what you think about Mussolini you can't deny his massive impact to history. It is even possible that at end of 40th century he is as well known as Julius Caesar is nowadays.

And must yet say that this is very good TL. Well-written and seems pretty plausible, at least very realistic TL. One of best what I have read on this site.

Forget what I wrote about Iraq. Sorairo already explained that happened during the aftermath of the Second Arabian War.
I doubt the Syrian Social Nationalists would even become a thing, Israel would nuke them.

I suspect the combination of the words social and national anywhere would make Israel's little red button finger start to feel mighty itchy...

Thank you for this exquisite timeline it has been a pleasure to read. Truly a grey world with Fascism still being a political ideology today but large parts of the world are more developed then in OTL and Monarchies are a lot more popular and that is always a good thing to me. Britain is still a major power and that is awesome.

Turkey agreed to some level of democratic reform, with President Evren going on to win the 1981 election that re-established Turkish democracy. But at the same time, the military would be so thoroughly baked into the country’s government, its funding constitutionally assured to the extent that to even openly call for its removal would declare the party ineligible for government, that it would turn Turkey from a state with an army to an army with a state. Turkey remains by far the most militarised of any of the initial Roman Alliance states. Such was seen in Iraq, where Turkey adamantly refused to end the occupation of Syria despite even Israel pledging that they would incur no more punishment on the region. The Turkish occupation of Syria would finally end in 2002 for economic reasons far more so than military. This hasn’t stopped occasional re-occupation whenever Turkey feels like Syria hasn’t lived up to its side of the bargain. Their close ally Iran, close owing to their mutual fear of an Arab revival, would be somewhat kinder to Iraq and the Arabian Kingdom.

I can see the CIS fragmenting further. Turkey was jostling for second place for a good while and I think the middle eastern portion of the alliance would start to chafe at China's influence eventually. Of course, when the only other idological alliance falls to pieces, there's little reason for the ITO to exist - rather, alliances based on proximity, historic friendships and cultural ties would become the norm, methinks.

Parliament would have two major Blocs, ‘The Rhodesian Bloc’ (which de-facto represented Whites) and ‘The Zimbabwean Bloc’ (which de facto represented Blacks). At the same time, political parties were not required to join these groups – certain political parties refuse to sit in either Bloc today on the basis of being cross-community parties. Certain resolutions had to receive cross-community support, or the support of a minimum number of MPs from both communities, to be passed by Parliament. The election of the Speaker, approval of ministers, any changes to Parliamentary proceeding and the vote on certain budgets all needed cross-community support. Any vote taken by Parliament could have been forced to need cross-community support if a large enough petition was sent to the Speaker. If enough MPs thought it was discriminatory, a vote on proposed legislation would only pass if supported by a weighted majority of three-fifths of MPs voting, including at least 40% of each of the Rhodesia and Zimbabwe Blocs. This meant that if enough MPs from one Bloc could agree, the Bloc they could exercise a veto over the Parliament. For good measure, the country would change its name from ‘Rhodesia’ to ‘Rhodesia-Zimbabwe’. Of course, even today, most Whites in the country simply refer to their homeland as ‘Rhodesia’ while Blacks call it ‘Zimbabwe’ – the name is mostly used in diplomatic and official capacity. Often the term is colloquially shortened to ‘Rhobabwe’.

What's the status of mixed race folk here? Would they count for either or neither? And would this either-neither deal only be applicable for the 50-50 mixed ones or would there be something like a 7/8ths 'pure' is effectively white/black? Once race-related stuff gets written into law, issues with demarcation lines vis-a-vis the mixed race populace, however small, will become an issue.

IMO
The most moving moment: The Battle of Trieste.
The funniest moment: The fake soviet Moon landing.
The most horrible moment: The nuking of the UAR

This TL has had a great run, and I'm glad I was able to enjoy the experience. TTL's Mussolini is a man of great many facets, but he has most certainly left a footprint on the world.

What's the status of mixed race folk here? Would they count for either or neither? And would this either-neither deal only be applicable for the 50-50 mixed ones or would there be something like a 7/8ths 'pure' is effectively white/black? Once race-related stuff gets written into law, issues with demarcation lines vis-a-vis the mixed race populace, however small, will become an issue.

The Blocs don't have explicit racial requirements and only exist in terms of 'I identify with the Rhodesian/Zimbabwean Community'. The requirements aren't de jure racial - you would just need 33% of the other Bloc in your cabinet - but in practice they are. A mixed race person would have to choose their party Bloc and be judged accordingly. In practice, most are aligned to the Zimbabwean Bloc. The whole point is you can't do anything in the country if either the Settler or Native community tells you that you can't. Mixed-race members would also vote for 'Other' parties, who don't identify with either Bloc and sit outside both of them, such as the Tolstoyists or Liberals.

A White member of the Zimbabwe Bloc or a Black member of the Rhodesian Bloc, however, would be almost unheard of. They would exist as oddities who would not be allowed in the Cabinet without the explicit approval of both Blocs. Again, it's a bit like Northern Ireland, but even more polarized - you'd never see a Presbyterian Sinn Fein member getting a high ranking status just as you'd never see a Catholic DUP MP. Now make everyone's difference far more visual, have the settlement be in everyone's lifetime rather than several hundred years ago, and you can see why things are a lot more on edge. It's essentially a country permanently stuck on 1970s America levels of race relations.

Last edited:
World Map - 1984
Map World 1984.png

A world map in 1984 after the Fall of Fascism and the death of Enrico Berlinguer.

Last edited: